Sunless weapons, time for a change?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sidecarpilot.3468

sidecarpilot.3468

So, after many times (well over 500x) running tequatl, still no sunless weapon and i just gave up on it, however, it got me thinking, there aren’t a lot of skins obtainable only through RNG, fractal weapons used to be, now they have a merchant, even gold fractal weapons are obtainable using the mystic forge (both by random and specific weapon).
It’s about time we get a way to obtain thoose weapons (or even just the skin?) in some sort of way without rellying on RNG, either by adding a mystic forge recipe to convert regular ascended weapons into sunless weapons, or to make the whole thing (perhaps give thoose exotic tequatl items a use? spoons too?).
I’d love to hear other players opinions too.

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

The spoons have a use, they’re apart of the Koutalophile collection.

As for making a merchant to obtain it that would involve making a currency only obtainable from Tequatl, or saying ok everyone can have it if it’s karma or gold. I think either option is poor. Thus it should remain the way it is to not burn the people who already have it.

The fractal skins are in a different boat because they have always been exotics while the blue one’s are only skin tickets. Then the change made a reason to collect the full golden fractal set in a growing game mode. While Tequatl is just an easy event for most people. To me it just opens a bad door of make this skin easier and this one and this one.

sidecarpilot.3468

As for making a merchant to obtain it that would involve making a currency only obtainable from Tequatl, or saying ok everyone can have it if it’s karma or gold. I think either option is poor. Thus it should remain the way it is to not burn the people who already have it.

The fractal skins are in a different boat because they have always been exotics while the blue one’s are only skin tickets. Then the change made a reason to collect the full golden fractal set in a growing game mode. While Tequatl is just an easy event for most people. To me it just opens a bad door of make this skin easier and this one and this one.

I’d say that making a “token” for it like chak eggs/reclaimed metal plates, then adding a merchant for skins (just the skin, no ascended weapon) for a decent amount of tokens wouldn’t do any harm, or just making a recipe in mf to convert regular ascended weapons into sunless weapons (involving the teq fangs and thoose exotics).
Once again, i’m not saying to make it easy, i’m saying make it obtainable without rellying on rng, just based on the fact that there are not alot of weapon skins that are only obtainable through RNG.

MoarChaos.8320

That is the system I would be fine with seeing. I just don’t think it would be well received for an old map getting tokens is my issue with it.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

We already got 3 we could use the teqatil tailpiece, sunless sigil or fang accessory all 3 only drop from Teq.

Linken.6345

That is the system I would be fine with seeing. I just don’t think it would be well received for an old map getting tokens is my issue with it.

Edit
Add to this would be fun if we could upgrade blue sam’s to exotic by getting alot of em chucking into the forge.

Posted by: demitel.1340

demitel.1340

Collect at least 100 Dragon Chests and open them all in a row, you are almost guaranteed to get Tequatl’s Hoard. I got two and one random Ascended chest, now I have total of four Weapons of the Sunless.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Collect at least 100 Dragon Chests and open them all in a row, you are almost guaranteed to get Tequatl’s Hoard. I got two and one random Ascended chest, now I have total of four Weapons of the Sunless.

The OP said he’s done Teq at least 500 times and no Sunless weapons. I’ve done it an unknown number over the years (I haven’t kept track) and haven’t gotten one either.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

I need two more to complete the collection, but yes, a new system may be a good idea. At least some way to work towards them rather than rely on drops.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

Collect at least 100 Dragon Chests and open them all in a row, you are almost guaranteed to get Tequatl’s Hoard.

Is the random generator working differently if you open 100 chests in a row compared to opening one each day for 100 days?

Even then, it’s possible that the hoard is already in the first chest and you slay Tequatl another 99 times on 99 days to open it.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Collect at least 100 Dragon Chests and open them all in a row, you are almost guaranteed to get Tequatl’s Hoard.

Is the random generator working differently if you open 100 chests in a row compared to opening one each day for 100 days?

Even then, it’s possible that the hoard is already in the first chest and you slay Tequatl another 99 times on 99 days to open it.

No it doesn’t, it’s just a ritual that people who don’t understand the whims of RNG perform.

Posted by: Cristalyan.5728

Cristalyan.5728

demitel.1340

I already done this. 102 Dragon Chests to be exactly. Not only I received no Tequatl Hoard, I found not even one ascendant chest. The result was: 102 open / zero ascendant.

It may be a bad luck for me, but now, reading this post I recall I dropped a total of 2 Hoards from around 500 kills (like the OP). So, taking this into account I don’t want to complain of bad luck anymore. Others are even more unlucky.

MoarChaos.8320

To me it just opens a bad door of make this skin easier and this one and this one.

To make a short comparation: +500 Chests means almost 1,5 years of killing Tequatl daily.
To make the legendary armor the first raiders worked 1,5 years also – but for a full set.

I don’t know how many persons will exchange a full set of legendary armor for a Tequatl weapon.

What makes this weaponset so special to be on pair to a complete set of legendary armor?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

No it doesn’t, it’s just a ritual that people who don’t understand the whims of RNG perform.

On the contrary, opening 100 at a time is more than a ritual. If you open a chest every day and you get nothing, you might experience frustration 100 days in a row. If you open all 100 together, then at worst, you’d experience that frustration once.

I save up my chests (of all sorts) because (a) it’s more efficient in managing inventory and (b) I almost always get something fun. The odds might be the same, but my enjoyment of the experience is vastly different.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Still, no matter how many chests/bags/whatever are saved up to open all at once, it will not guarantee any particular reward, as stated above.

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

On the contrary, opening 100 at a time is more than a ritual. If you open a chest every day and you get nothing, you might experience frustration 100 days in a row. If you open all 100 together, then at worst, you’d experience that frustration once.

I save up my chests (of all sorts) because (a) it’s more efficient in managing inventory and (b) I almost always get something fun. The odds might be the same, but my enjoyment of the experience is vastly different.

Sounds like a ritual to me!

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I got 1, maybe a token system is a good idea.
25 kills for 1 weapon, plus the rare chance to find 1 along the way?

Linken.6345

I got 3 over the years

Posted by: logan.5846

logan.5846

To the gem store!

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

I’ve only ever gotten the pistol and really want the staff, but I’m well aware of how unreliable RNG is. I’m not sure if it can drop from a Black Lion Chests, Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock. An exchange system would be nice maybe a commodity that can be farmed from the Dragon, if they don’t want to give out ascended equipment maybe just the skin on an exotic or lesser item.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Without knowing how the RNG is coded, it’s impossible to say. You are more likely however to see a wider range of values from simultaneous attempts in quick succession the worse the algorithm is.

Some MMOs don’t actually have random loot and instead rely on the random order of players. For example, the rare roll will always occur on the 100th looted item.

Faaris.8013

Now I got a question about the Dragon Chest. I slay Tequatl almost every day for the last 2 months or so. You get four chests that you have to manually click into your inventory for the small events that come with Tequatl (defending turrets, batteries and laser).

Then there is the big chest at the end that can contain the shinies. How do you save that? Everything just goes into my inventory because of autoloot, and there is no special chest, right? The big one is the special chest.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragon_Chest_

How can one save 100 Dragon Chests and open them in a row? Not that I’ll try to do this, I know enough about random generators to be sure it’s irrational.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Perhaps, he/she meant this, https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragon_Chest_ (container), which can also potentially drop https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tequatl%27s_Hoard.

You can save those up, though I doubt it makes a difference.

Faaris.8013

Perhaps, he/she meant this, https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragon_Chest_ (container), which can also potentially drop https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tequatl%27s_Hoard.

You can save those up, though I doubt it makes a difference.

But that would mean you get 4 exotic chests per day, so 400 in 100 days. If that’s how it works, then OP has opened 2000 exotic chests that have a chance to drop Tequatl’s Hoard without success, plus 500 of the big chests, without success

2500 chests without Tequatl’s Hoard lol

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Perhaps, he/she thinks only the Exotic version has the chance. Who knows?

Most don’t take advantage of the information found in the Wiki.

sidecarpilot.3468

I did indeed save them for 2 months (all the chests), got nothing, just saying, a ticket system for the skins (no asc. stats) or a mf recipe (there are super easy ways to get asc weapons, wouldn’t be anything crazy).
Same can be said for the Triple Trouble armor skins, not a huge fan but to each his own.

Posted by: demitel.1340

demitel.1340

But that would mean you get 4 exotic chests per day, so 400 in 100 days.

You can only get one exotic chest per day from Tequatl.

I’m not going to post a wall of quotes in this topic, but I never said that you ARE guaranteed to get Tequatl’s Hoard. I said “almost guaranteed”!

I got almost similar drops than this guy who opened 100 exotic chests + 100 each other rarity, just one Ascended chest less. I did exactly like he did. Funny note that I got two Entropy as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38pqcD6x_qc

I think that you have better chances to get Tequatl’s Hoard if you open them all at the same time, unless you have bad luck like Cristalyan. If you open your daily Dragon Chests right away and continue your day while opening any other loot bag, of course it’s going to affect RNG. On the next day you are going to do your next Tequatl, you either have or not have greater chances to get your Hoard.

Faaris.8013

If you open your daily Dragon Chests right away and continue your day while opening any other loot bag, of course it’s going to affect RNG.

No, that’s the gambler’s fallacy. I’m pretty sure that ArenaNet’s random generator creates truely random numbers. The chances for the drop don’t change, no matter how many chests you open. If you throw a coin 10 times and always get head, your chances to get tails with the next throw are still about 50%.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

The sunless weapons are RNG and boring. Only use they have is to get the specific ascended stat. IMO, not worth the effort, at all.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Linken.6345

The sunless weapons are RNG and boring. Only use they have is to get the specific ascended stat. IMO, not worth the effort, at all.

What specific ascended stat its a base stat like you can get by crafting said weapon.

Only use is for the skin not the stat.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Well, some people don’t like to craft. Not myself, really, but its very common.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Feral.3609

Feral.3609

I’ve played since day 1 and done tequatl at one point nearly every day. I’ve got the chest twice then just stopped doing it.

Same could be said of legendary precursors, 5+ years or however long it’s been and have yet to see even one drop. On the flip-side, I’m the only person of my other friends who have played the same duration who has never obtained any. the lowest of them has got 5 by now.

RNG is kitten in this game.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I’d say just let them be converted to from existing Ascended Weapons.

250x Sunless Runes
25x Ecto
3 x Cube of Stabilized Dark Energy
Weapon

But that’s just my take on how to adjust it.

sidecarpilot.3468

Same could be said of legendary precursors, 5+ years or however long it’s been and have yet to see even one drop. On the flip-side, I’m the only person of my other friends who have played the same duration who has never obtained any. the lowest of them has got 5 by now.

RNG is kitten in this game.

Precursors can be bought from TP and even “farmed” with the Legendary Crafting mastery, i’d say they are fine as they are, increasing their drop rates would lower their price in TP and make the Legendary crafting route even less profitable (for most precursors you’re better off just buying in TP as it is).

I’m mostly reffering to skins that can only be obtained through rng alone, like Sunless weapons and Triple trouble armor skins.

I’d say just let them be converted to from existing Ascended Weapons.

250x Sunless Runes
25x Ecto
3 x Cube of Stabilized Dark Energy
Weapon

But that’s just my take on how to adjust it.

I’d be down for something like that, or create a “gift of tequatl” obtainable in mf by combining exclusive drops from tequatl (mini, Sunless runes, Teq fangs, teq tail pieces, etc).

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

By your definition, opening containers instantly is also a “ritual”, since it also makes no mathematical difference. Why is it so important to you to label what other people do instead of simply evaluating on the merits?

I don’t expect different drops from saving containers to open them all at once. I expect better time management & a better ratio of excitement to disappointment. Does your way work better for your enjoyment of the game? Then great, stick with it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

MoarChaos.8320

There isn’t a single ascended drop for armor or weapons that people are aiming for a particular stat due to the nature of ascended. You can just use a mystic forge recipe to get the exact stats you need, and you can keep changing it if you have the resources and desire to do so.

You might have already known, but I just want to make sure for everyone’s good

Amulets, rings, and accessories on the other hand cannot be stat changed with the mystic forge recipe, unless they are from Bloodstone Fen. However, the stat change is through a different mechanic. Backpacks have a weird one time stat change, but it costs a ton and if it’s an older backpack I think it still doesn’t have the option to pick the HoT stats. Luckily, Bloodstone Fen has a backpack.

MoarChaos.8320

By your definition, opening containers instantly is also a “ritual”, since it also makes no mathematical difference. Why is it so important to you to label what other people do instead of simply evaluating on the merits?

I don’t expect different drops from saving containers to open them all at once. I expect better time management & a better ratio of excitement to disappointment. Does your way work better for your enjoyment of the game? Then great, stick with it.

There’s no point in becoming hung up on them calling it a ritual. The point they were making is that saving chests doesn’t change the chance of getting it, which is true. I bring it up, because demitel’s original comment made it seem like saving chests is the surefire way to get one, which isn’t true.

(edited by MoarChaos.8320)

Posted by: Draeyon.4392

Draeyon.4392

I think the mystic forge suggestion is the best option available.
Have a low value trophy item be the place holder for inscriptions (or be part of a recipe to make the inscription).