Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Next page

/15 charrr

Sunrise & Twilight skins free unlocks?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

What amaze me , it’s every time there is a slight change or something that affect Legendaries a tons of topics are created and loaded with critics and negativity from players who don’t have a legendary yet.. they see it as an injustice and just another brick on their head making harder to obtain one. It’s completely the opposite . It’s way more easier today … I crafted Sunrise and Rodgort at a time when the badges of Honors was called ‘’ badges of jumping ’’ and when Obsidian sanctum was part on EB Map … EB map full .. you can’t do the JP .. not now anymore .. Today you almost get a free gift of battle at each 500 AP you earn.

Craft one legendary and all your account can use the weapon or duplicate the skin , this is amazing and you are not happy? credit cards kids buy eternity and get sunrise and twilight for free .. so what ? You must equip it on your account to unlock the skin anyway and you can’t sell eternity anymore , so what’s the problem here ? by the way if you have Eternity skin unlocked on your account why using sunrise/twilight skin on a toon … Eternity skin is way more cooler , so whats the point ?

My main toon and my army of 13 Alts will gain access to Sunrise, Rodgort , Flameseeker , Bolt and the Minstrel , it’s wonderful ! is not it?

Xae Isareth.1364

What amaze me , it’s every time there is a slight change or something that affect Legendaries a tons topics are created and loaded with critics and negativity from players who don’t have a legendary yet.. they see it as an injustice and just another brick on their head making harder to obtain one. It’s completely the opposite . It’s way more easier today … I crafted Sunrise and Rodgort at a time when the badges of Honors was called ‘’ badges of jumping ’’ and when Obsidian sanctum was part on EB Map … EB map full .. you can’t do the JP .. not now anymore .. Today you almost get a free gift of battle at each 500 AP you earn.

Craft one legendary and all your account can use the weapon or duplicate the skin , this is amazing and you are not happy? credit cards kids buy eternity and get sunrise and twilight for free .. so what ? You must equip it on your account to unlock the skin anyway and you can’t sell eternity anymore , so what’s the problem here ? by the way if you have Eternity skin unlocked on your account why using sunrise/twilight skin on a toon … Eternity skin is way more cooler , so whats the point ?

My main toon and my army of 13 Alts will gain access to Sunrise, Rodgort , Flameseeker , Bolt and the Minstrel , it’s wonderful ! is not it?

Ummm, this isn’t about getting Sunrise and Twlight with Eternity for free. This is about literally getting Sunrise and Twilight for next to free through a loophole with the system.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I provided a solution to where they can pinpoint it straight down to only Eternities created after the patch. I don’t think changing the recipe to a ‘new’ item is a very complicated code to implement, because as far as I can remember, we didn’t have any problems with items put into the LS, including the back pieces from the MF in the LA patch.

But this isn’t a solution though. Now you’re saying that Eternity after the patch vs the pre-existing ones are not worth the same. That they aren’t the ‘same’ item, when they are.

So you’re saying that the wardrobe should allow you to effectively resell an item and still keep its skin?

No, and I have no idea where you are even getting this. Because you can transform Twilight and Sunrise into Eternity? Eternity is not the same item as either of those. You are not ‘reselling’ twilight or sunrise technically speaking. You may sell eternity, but that is not the same item, nor do you get it’s skin if you choose to.

It is not in your skin collection simply by creating it. I cannot simply create another Eternity by using 2 skins from the wardrobe, because they are just skins.

Creating Eternity, which is its own item, by the consumption of Twlight and Sunrise and then retaining the skins from Twilight and Sunrise is no different than retaining the skins from them after accidentally destroying Twilight and Sunrise.

Your big kitten is that (with the upcoming patch) you can retain the skins for Twilight and Sunrise and still make 5k gold because they can be combined into something else that by its nature is not bound on acquire and gives the option to choose if you want to keep it or sell it. It doesn’t matter that it basically works that way currently (can make and wield Twilight and Sunrise to your heart’s content until you get tired of them, then merge them and make a profit) because there is no wardrobe at the present time and therefore can’t ‘show off’ your shinies if you sell them.

How would that be detrimental? You could still ‘buy’ Eternity through buying Sunrise and Twilight and then forging them even if they make Eternity account-bound. I don’t think anyone makes Eternity from Sunrise and Twilight and sells for a profit. Those who wish to whip out a credit card for Eternity can still do so.

You can’t see how it might cause issues if one, and only one, legendary was forced into account bound on acquire? Really?

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Xae Isareth.1364

I provided a solution to where they can pinpoint it straight down to only Eternities created after the patch. I don’t think changing the recipe to a ‘new’ item is a very complicated code to implement, because as far as I can remember, we didn’t have any problems with items put into the LS, including the back pieces from the MF in the LA patch.

But this isn’t a solution though. Now you’re saying that Eternity after the patch vs the pre-existing ones are not worth the same. That they aren’t the ‘same’ item, when they are.

Why are they not worth the same? They’re exactly the same items, except one is not tradable whilst the other is. Once you wield it it’s exactly the same.

So you’re saying that the wardrobe should allow you to effectively resell an item and still keep its skin?

No, and I have no idea where you are even getting this. Because you can transform Twilight and Sunrise into Eternity? Eternity is not the same item as either of those. You are not ‘reselling’ twilight or sunrise technically speaking. You may sell eternity, but that is not the same item, nor do you get it’s skin if you choose to.

Note the word ‘effectively’

It is not in your skin collection simply by creating it. I cannot simply create another Eternity by using 2 skins from the wardrobe, because they are just skins.

When did I even mention anything about recreating Eternity?

Creating Eternity, which is its own item, by the consumption of Twlight and Sunrise and then retaining the skins from Twilight and Sunrise is no different than retaining the skins from them after accidentally destroying Twilight and Sunrise.

Except you get most of your costs back once you sell Eternity.

Your big kitten is that (with the upcoming patch) you can retain the skins for Twilight and Sunrise and still make 5k gold because they can be combined into something else that by its nature is not bound on acquire and gives the option to choose if you want to keep it or sell it. It doesn’t matter that it basically works that way currently (can make and wield Twilight and Sunrise to your heart’s content until you get tired of them, then merge them and make a profit) because there is no wardrobe at the present time and therefore can’t ‘show off’ your shinies if you sell them.

‘It doesn’t matter that it basically works that way _currently_’

So currently I can make Sunrise and Twilight, reap most of the costs back and still keep the skins?

How would that be detrimental? You could still ‘buy’ Eternity through buying Sunrise and Twilight and then forging them even if they make Eternity account-bound. I don’t think anyone makes Eternity from Sunrise and Twilight and sells for a profit. Those who wish to whip out a credit card for Eternity can still do so.

You can’t see how it might cause issues if one, and only one, legendary was forced into account bound on acquire? Really?

I can’t see any issues. I really can’t. If you bought/made Sunrise and Twilight to get Eternity, you clearly aren’t doing this to make a profit. If you wanted to buy Eternity outright with money, you still can. So where’s the problem?

Can we just stop arguing in circles and get back to the core question I posed at you?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Why are they not worth the same? They’re exactly the same items, except one is not tradable whilst the other is. Once you wield it it’s exactly the same.

Yes, they are exactly the same items. Except now one cannot be traded and is worth 0 gold (because it can’t be traded). While the others remain tradeable and are worth 5k+ gold. Yeah, once you wield them sure, they are exactly the same, but until that point one is worth nothing and the other is worth 5k. Even though they are the same item. You can’t see where the person with the first might be kittened off that they can’t sell theirs like person B can, simply because they chose to make theirs after a specific date?

Just covering all the bases here.

This doesn’t negate the fact that you did own and did bind the others though.

This is also no different than retaining the skin for another item after salvaging it, and selling the materials for more than that skin was worth. No it’s not a legendary, but it’s the same concept.

I have already conceded that legendaries are inherently flawed in that they are not account bound upon acquire. However, binding one and only one would cause a kitten storm. What needs to be done, is that all legendaries should be made account bound on acquire. No longer tradeable, no longer purchasable. However, this won’t happen either because of the kitten storm it would cause. The best we can hope for at this point is that future legendaries are account bound on acquire.

So currently I can make Sunrise and Twilight, reap most of the costs back and still keep the skins?*\

Again, this is no different than salvaging an item, getting its skin, and selling the components you salvaged for more than the original item was worth. Yes, it’s not a legendary item, but it’s still the same concept. You are making profit from an item you no longer possess while still retaining the usability of that skin.

I can’t see any issues. I really can’t. If you bought/made Sunrise and Twilight to get Eternity, you clearly aren’t doing this to make a profit. If you wanted to buy Eternity outright with money, you still can. So where’s the problem?

sigh

How do you buy something outright, if there is no more supply for it because it is now account bound? If they make all future eternities account bound on acquire, once the 8 on the TP are gone, that’s it. No more supply. Of course, this is good for people selling Sunrise and Twilight, they should see a rise in their costs due to low supply and higher demand.

The main issue though is simply the kitten storm it would cause for anet, no matter what path they take. If they do nothing, people will kitten. If they go your route, other people will kitten. If they do what others suggest (account bind all legendaries), yet other will people will kitten. kitten ed if they, kitten ed if they don’t.

Can we just stop arguing in circles and get back to the core question I posed at you?

Core question? You must have updated a post while I was replying cause I didn’t catch it.

I guess it doesn’t matter. You don’t seem to understand my points, no matter how many examples or how I phrase it.

Posted by: Spiderpig.9843

Spiderpig.9843

Yes, they are exactly the same items. Except now one cannot be traded and is worth 0 gold (because it can’t be traded). While the others remain tradeable and are worth 5k+ gold. Yeah, once you wield them sure, they are exactly the same, but until that point one is worth nothing and the other is worth 5k. Even though they are the same item. You can’t see where the person with the first might be kittened off that they can’t sell theirs like person B can, simply because they chose to make theirs after a specific date?

Just covering all the bases here.

This doesn’t negate the fact that you did own and did bind the others though.

This is also no different than retaining the skin for another item after salvaging it, and selling the materials for more than that skin was worth. No it’s not a legendary, but it’s the same concept.

I have already conceded that legendaries are inherently flawed in that they are not account bound upon acquire. However, binding one and only one would cause a kitten storm. What needs to be done, is that all legendaries should be made account bound on acquire. No longer tradeable, no longer purchasable. However, this won’t happen either because of the kitten storm it would cause. The best we can hope for at this point is that future legendaries are account bound on acquire.

So currently I can make Sunrise and Twilight, reap most of the costs back and still keep the skins?*\

Again, this is no different than salvaging an item, getting its skin, and selling the components you salvaged for more than the original item was worth. Yes, it’s not a legendary item, but it’s still the same concept. You are making profit from an item you no longer possess while still retaining the usability of that skin.

sigh

How do you buy something outright, if there is no more supply for it because it is now account bound? If they make all future eternities account bound on acquire, once the 8 on the TP are gone, that’s it. No more supply. Of course, this is good for people selling Sunrise and Twilight, they should see a rise in their costs due to low supply and higher demand.

The main issue though is simply the kitten storm it would cause for anet, no matter what path they take. If they do nothing, people will kitten. If they go your route, other people will kitten. If they do what others suggest (account bind all legendaries), yet other will people will kitten. kitten ed if they, kitten ed if they don’t.

Core question? You must have updated a post while I was replying cause I didn’t catch it.

I guess it doesn’t matter. You don’t seem to understand my points, no matter how many examples or how I phrase it.

We get your points. We just fail to see how it is related to the actual thread. I mean, with dusk, you could unlock the skin and then craft twilight, same thing. However, nobody would care if you unlocked the dusk skin as cheaper weapon have this skin. It’s because the skin doesn’t stand for a big costly sum of money and time. For most players in the game Twilight and Sunrise can be their biggest achievements, yet after the update people will be able to get the skins cheaper. That’s what this topic is about, not how the wardrobe system works or is intended to work

LanfearShadowflame.3189

We get your points. We just fail to see how it is related to the actual thread. I mean, with dusk, you could unlock the skin and then craft twilight, same thing. However, nobody would care if you unlocked the dusk skin as cheaper weapon have this skin. It’s because the skin doesn’t stand for a big costly sum of money and time. For most players in the game Twilight and Sunrise can be their biggest achievements, yet after the update people will be able to get the skins cheaper. That’s what this topic is about, not how the wardrobe system works or is intended to work

Ok let’s try this analogy.

Your issue is that you can purchase 2 items, bind them for their skin, combine into a 3rd item, and then sell that third item to recoup most of what was spent initially. Correct?

Sunrise – 3100 gold, skin unlocked
Twilight -3198 gold, skin unlocked
Eternity +4991 gold

Nets you a loss of 1307 gold. Not bad I suppose.

How is that truly any different than if I purchased an item of the TP, salvaged it for its skin, then resold the components I got from salvaging for more than what I paid for the item?

Rare chest piece -10 silver, skin unlocked
Salvage yields:
3 ecto +37 silver per
1 major rune +3silver

Nets me about a gold.

It is the same concept, simply at a lower tier. Yes, mileage is going to vary, depending on what gets salvaged out. In both cases I’m making an investment. In both cases, I am retaining the skins. In both cases, I am gambling that I will make enough back to continue with my investments.

Just because the skins are more readily available (maybe) doesn’t make it any less of an achievement, and that’s going to also vary from person to person. To even unlock those skins they have to first obtain one of the items that unlocks it. Whether that’s thru crafting or farming gold, that won’t change.

What you’re worried about (sense of achievement) is not precisely what Xia is worried about (being able to recoup so much of the cost). A person’s sense of achievement has nothing to do with the cost of an item going up or down, or at least it shouldn’t If their sense of achievement is getting that item, then it doesn’t matter what its 10g or 100g, because they achieved the goal they were after – the acquisition. Just because the cost goes down doesn’t mean they lose their sense of achievement. They still achieve the goal they are after…

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Xae Isareth.1364

@Lanfear

Your arguments does not make any sense. Salvaging and selling is nothing like this. You’re basically arguing technical points which in no way actually relates to the core question at hand.

A rare chest piece is nothing like a legendary. Just because the returns work on a similar scale to the original item does not mean its the same thing. just like you get a slap on the wrist for being caught stealing from the local church donation pot but get put in jail for a bank robbery, the items in question completely changes the nature of the problem.

No one really cares about reaping back the costs on a rare chestpiece, because its nowhere near as expensive or desirable.

As for how do you buy Eternity even if its account bound, just buy Sunrise and Twilight separately. They’re still tradable. Thus I don’t see the problem from any angle here.

Having the gold in the first place is unrelated to this argument. If I buy a house with my hard-earned cash, do I get the right to sell the house but keep the house and the money after I sell it?

The core question is: is the wardrobe function supposed to allow you to get both Sunrise and Twilight’s skins at a small fraction of what buying one costs?

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

Posted by: FXLEACH.9436

FXLEACH.9436

If anet doesn’t change how this works, and players are able to effectively get a sunrise legendary weapon unlocked in their wardrobe and a twilight legendary weapon unlocked in their wardrobe whilst also then selling the eternity weapon for a huge sum, then the game will have a massive unethical situation.

The wardrobe was never meant to be used in this way, it was never meant to open up loopholes for players to obtain weaponry or armours that have huge financial value whilst also making/obtaining massive sums of financial value at the same time.

It is ridiculous to try and shrug this off simply because the equation can be done with something of a much lesser value – stop. Just stop. You’re conveniently being obtuse and missing the very, very important context of this situation.

Simply, the system has to make sure that this situation cannot happen. It would invert the logic and rationale of legendary weapon creation that Arenanet and many, many players have come to understand and accept and enjoy.

Without a doubt many players are looking forward to hopefully getting two legendaries (twilight and sunrise) and then selling eternity for a chunk of gold, and they’ll spout bad analogies or try to say ‘but look, there’s something even worse happenign here!’ that’s just because they don’t want people to make Arenanet aware that we want Arenanet to continue the philosophy and methodology of legendary weapon creation that they have fostered since GW2 began.

Many thanks.

FXleach.

p.s.

“. If legendaries were actually ‘legendary’ then I could see the issue; however, they are not simply due to the purchase-ability factor. Of course, if they weren’t purchasable to begin with, we wouldn’t be having this conversation at all.”

That is Lanfear’s view on legendary items. Which is not consistent with Arenanet’s view, nor my view. And I wouldn’t bother discussing any further with Lanfear the subject at hand as they fundamentally misunderstand the concepts.

(edited by FXLEACH.9436)

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

This may serve to lower the prices and stabilize itself if, as you say, everybody will be doing it.

^ I agree with this.

It reminds me of when Dark Matter was first introduced, and people were buying exotic gear with pricey runes/sigils, salvaging them for Dark Matter, and then selling the rune or sigil back and making most of their money back, or even profiting sometimes.

Eventually the gear became a lot more expensive than the sigil or rune it contained.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

FXLEACH.9436

This may serve to lower the prices and stabilize itself if, as you say, everybody will be doing it.

^ I agree with this.

It reminds me of when Dark Matter was first introduced, and people were buying exotic gear with pricey runes/sigils, salvaging them for Dark Matter, and then selling the rune or sigil back and making most of their money back, or even profiting sometimes.

Eventually the gear became a lot more expensive than the sigil or rune it contained.

The person you quoted is talking about prices lowering.

But if people are able to make twilight and sunrise and then sell eternity whilst retaining the ability to have twilight and surnise as a skin then there is going to be great demand on the items that are used to craft twilight and sunrise, furthermore twilight and sunrise themselves will go up in price.

So prices won’t be lowering on the grand-scale, we may see a slight price drop in eternities, but on the whole, prices for many things, across the board, will most likely skyrocket.

Xae Isareth.1364

^ I agree with this.

Except in this case the market cannot correct itself.

What can it do?

Even if Eternity went down to the same price as Sunrise, you’re still basically making Twilight and Sunrise at half-cost. And that won’t happen because Eternity also unlocks both swords in your wardrobe.

The example you gave is a problem caused by the market itself, with the value of items not equating, thus creating an arbitrage situation. This is a problem caused by the system, thus the market cannot correct it.

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

There’s a lack of understanding in this thread. This isn’t a big issue. If supply goes up prices come down. The supply of eternity, which is already insanely low, will go up, the price will come down and reach an equilibrium with twilight and dawn.

The 3 won’t be the same price, eternity will always be more than both, because eternity unlocks 5 skins, Dawn, Dusk, Sunrise, Twilight, and Eternity. Twilight only unlocks itself and Dusk. Sunrise only unlocks itself and Dusk.

Since Eternity is THE high roller status item in GW2 due to it being the only item that requires 2 legendaries, there will always be a consistent demand for it, as the number of players that want to show it off aren’t changing. The supply is changing.

The demand is also going to go up, because Eternity unlocks 3 legendary skins instead of 1 as previously mentioned.

What this means is that supply and demand are increasing. The reason demand is increasing, again, is the additional unlocks eternity provides. The reason supply would increase is because a portion of the player base understands that by unlocking twilight and sunrise then selling eternity you can get about 3.5 legendary skins with the current rates.

Eternity will reign as the most valuable legendary due to it being a status symbol of the game and the fact that it’s a Greatsword, one of the most popular and most demanded weapons, I feel like I have to repeat this. It won’t fall below other legendaries ever unless someone has an insane amount of gold deliberately manipulate the market to do otherwise (John Smith might be the most feasible person to make this happen and it wouldn’t necessarily be due to him actually having enough gold).

Tl;dr
This “issue” has extremely little, if anything to do with market impact. Because the only market impact will be a decreased rate of inflation on legendaries. What this ultimately comes down to is some people think it’s unfair that for the effort of 2 legendaries people can get 2 skins + eternity ‘s market value ( a bit more than 1.5 legendary skins, ala 3.5 skins total) for the effort of getting 3 skins (eternity, twilight, and Sunrise). That’s ultimately what it is, jealousy of some people having the option to say “I don’t want eternity, because I’m less concerned about it as a status item. I’d rather have another legendary skin and progress towards a 4 instead”

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

FXLEACH.9436

lol wat. lot of assumptions in that post ^

People might be able to make two legendaries (twilight and sunrise) and then get back a huge chunk of money.

If I make two legendaries, say quip and frostfang, I get nothing back .

There is little to no effort in obtaining eternity if all one wants are twilight and sunrise weapon skins as the mystic forge recipe for eternity, aside from twilight and sunrise, is really easy to obtain: it’s just 5 piles of crystalline dust and 10 philosopher stones

So really, this is unethical. And your assumptions are massive, Shockwave, and decrease the validity of all your arguments in a big way.

Spiderpig.9843

There’s a lack of understanding in this thread. This isn’t a big issue. If supply goes up prices come down. The supply of eternity, which is already insanely low, will go up, the price will come down and reach an equilibrium with twilight and dawn.

The 3 won’t be the same price, eternity will always be more than both, because eternity unlocks 5 skins, Dawn, Dusk, Sunrise, Twilight, and Eternity. Twilight only unlocks itself and Dusk. Sunrise only unlocks itself and Dusk.

Since Eternity is THE high roller status item in GW2 due to it being the only item that requires 2 legendaries, there will always be a consistent demand for it, as the number of players that want to show it off aren’t changing. The supply is changing.

The demand is also going to go up, because Eternity unlocks 3 legendary skins instead of 1 as previously mentioned.

What this means is that supply and demand are increasing. The reason demand is increasing, again, is the additional unlocks eternity provides. The reason supply would increase is because a portion of the player base understands that by unlocking twilight and sunrise then selling eternity you can get about 3.5 legendary skins with the current rates.

Eternity will reign as the most valuable legendary due to it being a status symbol of the game and the fact that it’s a Greatsword, one of the most popular and most demanded weapons, I feel like I have to repeat this. It won’t fall below other legendaries ever unless someone has an insane amount of gold deliberately manipulate the market to do otherwise (John Smith might be the most feasible person to make this happen and it wouldn’t necessarily be due to him actually having enough gold).

Tl;dr
This “issue” has extremely little, if anything to do with market impact. Because the only market impact will be a decreased rate of inflation on legendaries. What this ultimately comes down to is some people think it’s unfair that for the effort of 2 legendaries people can get 2 skins + eternity ‘s market value ( a bit more than 1.5 legendary skins, ala 3.5 skins total) for the effort of getting 3 skins (eternity, twilight, and Sunrise). That’s ultimately what it is, jealousy of some people having the option to say “I don’t want eternity, because I’m less concerned about it as a status item. I’d rather have another legendary skin and progress towards a 4 instead”

You guys keep talking about the market impact, but the real problem is that for a single Eternity made two people are able to use sunrise and twilight skins, double the amount that I think ArenaNet intends. This will decrease the rarity of both Sunrise and Twilight at a fast rate. Even if they aren’t ‘free’, they’d still suffer from this issue.

(edited by Spiderpig.9843)

FXLEACH.9436

Spiderpig,

“. If legendaries were actually ‘legendary’ then I could see the issue; however, they are not simply due to the purchase-ability factor. Of course, if they weren’t purchasable to begin with, we wouldn’t be having this conversation at all.”
That is Lanfear’s view on legendary items. Which is not consistent with Arenanet’s view, nor my view. And I wouldn’t bother discussing any further with Lanfear the subject at hand as they fundamentally misunderstand the concepts.

Spiderpig.9843

People might be able to make two legendaries (twilight and sunrise) and then get back a huge chunk of money.

There is little to no effort in obtaining eternity if all one wants are twilight and sunrise weapon skins as the mystic forge recipe for eternity, aside from twilight and sunrise, is really easy to obtain: it’s just 5 piles of crystalline dust and 10 philosopher stones

So really, this is unethical. And your assumptions are massive, Shockwave, and decrease the validity of all your arguments in a big way.

This is also a valid argument. Even if you don’t get all the money you invested, you still get a hefty chunk. And like you say, you don’t get any money back from any of the other legendaries. I agree with everyone that says you wont get all the money back you spent, but still you get more than the 0g you get back after unlocking the bifrost skin.

Xae Isareth.1364

Tl;dr

The problem isn’t a market issue, nor a problem with jealousy. It a loophole with the system doing something which the wardrobe clearly wasn’t intended to do.

This isn’t even anything to do with Eternity itself.

Posted by: Pip.2094

Pip.2094

This will be good for all parties. People who do this will be able to get more legendary skins because they’ll have a lot of money, and the prices of legendary won’t inflate as quickly for a while

Yes but how ’’legendary’’ is a weapon as soon as everyone has it… I mean not only will Sunrise/Twilight skins become more common but also the skins of all the other legendaries, as people with sunrise and twilight can get 2-3 for those for nothing pretty much.

WAIT! When did legendaries actually become legendary? I must have lost this bit because as far as I know, more than the useless, tedious grind or throwing up your credit card, you just need a couple of hours of mindless WvW zerging to get it done.
Anyhow, the very fact these weapons can be sold and purchased make your whole thread rather useless really…
Plus, I believe those who actually get Eternity don’t do it just because they like both Sunrise and Twilight, but because they want to show up they got more than that. Otherwise they’d get just Sunrise really.

\||||||/
O°v°O

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Your arguments does not make any sense. Salvaging and selling is nothing like this. You’re basically arguing technical points which in no way actually relates to the core question at hand.

They don’t ‘make sense’ because you do not want them to make sense. That’s the long and short of it for you.

A rare chest piece is nothing like a legendary. Just because the returns work on a similar scale to the original item does not mean its the same thing. just like you get a slap on the wrist for being caught stealing from the local church donation pot but get put in jail for a bank robbery, the items in question completely changes the nature of the problem.
No one really cares about reaping back the costs on a rare chestpiece, because its nowhere near as expensive or desirable.

It is the same concept. But again, you don’t seem to understand simple English.

As for how do you buy Eternity even if its account bound, just buy Sunrise and Twilight separately. They’re still tradable. Thus I don’t see the problem from any angle here.

Basic supply and demand here. Figure it out.

Having the gold in the first place is unrelated to this argument. If I buy a house with my hard-earned cash, do I get the right to sell the house but keep the house and the money after I sell it?

No, but you can keep a picture of it. And that’s all a skin is, a picture of the actual item. But that won’t make sense to you either.

The core question is: is the wardrobe function supposed to allow you to get both Sunrise and Twilight’s skins at a small fraction of what buying one costs?

Well, since this is how the dev’s chose to implement it, yes.

If they opt to change it later. So be it. As it stands though, that’s how it appears to work.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Xae Isareth.1364

This will be good for all parties. People who do this will be able to get more legendary skins because they’ll have a lot of money, and the prices of legendary won’t inflate as quickly for a while

Yes but how ’’legendary’’ is a weapon as soon as everyone has it… I mean not only will Sunrise/Twilight skins become more common but also the skins of all the other legendaries, as people with sunrise and twilight can get 2-3 for those for nothing pretty much.

WAIT! When did legendaries actually become legendary? I must have lost this bit because as far as I know, more than the useless, tedious grind or throwing up your credit card, you just need a couple of hours of mindless WvW zerging to get it done.
Anyhow, the very fact these weapons can be sold and purchased make your whole thread rather useless really…
Plus, I believe those who actually get Eternity don’t do it just because they like both Sunrise and Twilight, but because they want to show up they got more than that. Otherwise they’d get just Sunrise really.

Can you please read the whole opening post before commenting.

Can you also add to the debate instead of pitching in completely irrelevant comments.

Shockwave.1230

There’s no ethics when it comes to this. The market will eventually reach an equilibrium, where Eternity will still be worth more than any legendary because of the social psychological implications of it being the item of Guild Wars 2 status.

To say that there are ethics involved in this is like a lesser way of saying it’s unethical for not all professions to have Stealth (which provides you a significant advantage in every game mode of Guild Wars 2). Then to complain that you don’t have the option to be a very good roamer in WvW, or complaining you can’t do map completion as efficiently as someone else in PvE, or complaining you can’t surprise spike someone as effectively in PvP. A profession without stealth has it’s own strengths and weaknesses even if stealth still provides value more frequently than the strengths of the non-stealth profession.

Twilight and Sunrise are the same skin with a different color scheme, people will argue that it’s 2 legendaries you have unlocked, but the reality is that you have the same skin with different colors. There’s also no viable builds where you can swap between greatswords, because regardless of equipped weapon a skills cooldown is universal. So it’s not like you can viably play with both of them in the same build. If you get two of any other legendary, you get to have the option of having them both on the same build and its actually different skins. The only acceptable counter to this argument is that other legendaries don’t have a second optional color scheme (not an ethics issue).

Some people are arguing you’ll get a chunk of your money back at the current market value. Current market value is the key part. The disparity between the current market value of eternity and the other legendaries will reduce as the new equilibrium is reached, but as I’ve previously mentioned because of the nature of how eternity is crafted (requiring 2 legendaries), it being a greatsword (a popularly viewed item) it will always hold a higher value. The only acceptable argument here is that it will still be more profitable to sell eternity no matter how slight the margin becomes, be the near half a ledendary it is currently or 10% of a legendary (again not an ethics issue). Chalk it up to the more frequent value stealth provides over the strengths from other professions.

(edited by Shockwave.1230)

Xae Isareth.1364

Well, since this is how the dev’s chose to implement it, yes.

If they opt to change it later. So be it. As it stands though, that’s how it appears to work.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exploit

Are all those what the devs chose to do as well?

Shockwave.1230

Tl;dr

The problem isn’t a market issue, nor a problem with jealousy. It a loophole with the system doing something which the wardrobe clearly wasn’t intended to do.

This isn’t even anything to do with Eternity itself.

Ultimately it comes down to whether or not ANet is okay with this being reality

Xae Isareth.1364

^we’re all waiting an answer on that…. for weeks.

Spiderpig.9843

Guys please just stop talking about markets and prices. It is irrelevent. The post was intended to show that people are able to unlock the Twilight and Sunrise skins in a way that is most likely not intended. I’m pretty sure Arenanet didn’t intend for more than one person to unlock Sunrise and Twilight skins for one Eternity made. That’s what this post is about.

The part about the market and stuff has been discussed to no end and in the end we can only speculate on prices. Arenanet once made a post about how they increased the drop rate of precursers from the forge as an attempt to decrease their prices only to find out their price doubled after the change. Markets behavior are indeed complex which is why I think we should drop that part of the discussion.

The only question at hand is whether Arenanet intended people to unlock Sunrise and Twilight in this manner and how they could adress this issue.

For the last time please STOP talking about economics because this is a subject you can keep speculating about to no end. I’m not saying any of you are wrong about the market changes, I just don’t think they are relevent in this discussion anymore.

Shockwave.1230

Guys please just stop talking about markets and prices. It is irrelevent. The post was intended to show that people are able to unlock the Twilight and Sunrise skins in a way that is most likely not intended. I’m pretty sure Arenanet didn’t intend for more than one person to unlock Sunrise and Twilight skins for one Eternity made. That’s what this post is about.

The part about the market and stuff has been discussed to no end and in the end we can only speculate on prices. Arenanet once made a post about how they increased the drop rate of precursers from the forge as an attempt to decrease their prices only to find out their price doubled after the change. Markets behavior are indeed complex which is why I think we should drop that part of the discussion.

The only question at hand is whether Arenanet intended people to unlock Sunrise and Twilight in this manner and how they could adress this issue.

For the last time please STOP talking about economics because this is a subject you can keep speculating about to no end. I’m not saying any of you are wrong about the market changes, I just don’t think they are relevent in this discussion anymore.

Their intent and what they actually do are two different things. They may not have intended for people to be able to unlock Twilight and Sunrise then sell Eternity, they also may not have not intended it. It could be an oversight.

Regardless, until they actually roll out the feature patch and we know the actual behavior, it makes sense to try and influence ANet one way or the other. The feeling I have is that given the silence on the topic, the initial behavior in the feature build was that it was possible to sell an eternity made from from bound legendaries. That’s probably a majority of the forums feeling on the matter.

Because I don’t want them to deviate from what is believed to be the current behavior I am going to draw whatever comparison/facts I can, since it will be an overall benefit to skin accessibility for the playerbase as a whole that this be possible.

Posted by: Mono.7320

Mono.7320

You need to equip it to unlock the skin.

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

It’s actually easier to solve than what I’m reading here.

delist all Eternity GS (return the listing fee), Break apart all Eternities into Twilight/Sunrise. When Eternity is crafted it’s account bound. Boom…everybody happy.

Xae Isareth.1364

Their intent and what they actually do are two different things. They may not have intended for people to be able to unlock Twilight and Sunrise then sell Eternity, they also may not have not intended it. It could be an oversight.

Regardless, until they actually roll out the feature patch and we know the actual behavior, it makes sense to try and influence ANet one way or the other. The feeling I have is that given the silence on the topic, the initial behavior in the feature build was that it was possible to sell an eternity made from from bound legendaries. That’s probably a majority of the forums feeling on the matter.

Because I don’t want them to deviate from what is believed to be the current behavior I am going to draw whatever comparison/facts I can, since it will be an overall benefit to skin accessibility for the playerbase as a whole that this be possible.

It doesn’t make Sunrise and Twilight more accessible than before. If you couldn’t afford them before, you still can’t afford them now. The only thing that’s changing is that if you can afford both (and thus can access both anyways), you get both more next to free, which is frankly for the lack of a better word, stupid.

Besides, skins aren’t supposed to be all accessible. The idea is that you work for the rarer skins. Giving everything to you on a silver platter isn’t exactly going to make everyone happier.

It doesn;t make any sense in any way you think about it.

From a pure numbers perspective, being able to do this means that every time someone does this, it makes Twilight and Sunrise available to 2 accounts despite only 1 set was made.

It becomes even more ridiculous once you start doing this in other ways. For example, you and a friend can both get 2 legendaries at the price of 1, with one of you getting Eternity as well by making Twilight and Sunrise between you two, trade it to one person, bind them, trade Eternity to the other person, bind Eternity.

It just breaks on so many levels that whichever way you look at it, its just a huge loophole.

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

I’m sure ArenaNet will come up with a solution. They’ll probably make Sunrise, Twilight and Eternity into tonics…

FXLEACH.9436

Anet, please give us a response.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I don’t think this will be as much of an issue as you think it will be.

You assume that people can buy Sunrise and Twilight for, say, 2500g each, unlock their skins, merge them to Eternity, then sell Eternity for 5000g. “I just got both skins for free!”

Except that:

a) The market of people who can afford to drop 5000g on a weapon skin is pretty small. (And odds are, most of the super wealthy players like TP Barons or hardcore farmers probably already have these Legendary skins and have no need to buy more.)

b) There will be a LOT of Sunrise/Twilight owners who are all looking to do the same thing, resulting in a glut of Eternities on the market (and ironically, perhaps a shortage of Sunrises and Twilights). In a worst case scenario, the price of Eternity might actually drop BELOW the price of Sunrise or Twilight, meaning that those Eternity owners would be selling at a hideous loss.

This could result in a hilarious situation where it might actually be cheaper to buy Eternity and unlock all 3 skins. At that point, wouldn’t it be easier just to use the darn skin yourself and get out of the free-falling market while you still can, rather than vainly trying to compete with the dozens of other Eternity sellers out there (and eating multi-hundred gold listing fees in the process)?

Xae Isareth.1364

^ theist because the market is small doesn’t mean it’s not exploitable. I remember back on Runescape there was an exploit involving getting gp out of nowhere if you had max cash stacks. Something like less than <0.1% of people had that but it doesn’t mean Jagex didn’t hand out bans.

Why the heck would Eternity ever fall below Sunrise? Is a superior substitute and the market is mostly supported by people just buying a single legendary sword.

Spiderpig.9843

I don’t think this will be as much of an issue as you think it will be.

You assume that people can buy Sunrise and Twilight for, say, 2500g each, unlock their skins, merge them to Eternity, then sell Eternity for 5000g. “I just got both skins for free!”

Except that:

a) The market of people who can afford to drop 5000g on a weapon skin is pretty small. (And odds are, most of the super wealthy players like TP Barons or hardcore farmers probably already have these Legendary skins and have no need to buy more.)

b) There will be a LOT of Sunrise/Twilight owners who are all looking to do the same thing, resulting in a glut of Eternities on the market (and ironically, perhaps a shortage of Sunrises and Twilights). In a worst case scenario, the price of Eternity might actually drop BELOW the price of Sunrise or Twilight, meaning that those Eternity owners would be selling at a hideous loss.

This could result in a hilarious situation where it might actually be cheaper to buy Eternity and unlock all 3 skins. At that point, wouldn’t it be easier just to use the darn skin yourself and get out of the free-falling market while you still can, rather than vainly trying to compete with the dozens of other Eternity sellers out there (and eating multi-hundred gold listing fees in the process)?

It can and it has already been mentioned about 5 times in this thread. In order to get some progress instead of running the same discussion in a loop I asked people to refrain from looking at it from a markets point of view. Even if they aren’t free, still 2 people are able to use the skin of Twilight and Sunrise even though only one of each weapon was made. That’s the issue I’d like to be discussed from now on, not whether they will actually become free or not.

Spiderpig.9843

It becomes even more ridiculous once you start doing this in other ways. For example, you and a friend can both get 2 legendaries at the price of 1, with one of you getting Eternity as well by making Twilight and Sunrise between you two, trade it to one person, bind them, trade Eternity to the other person, bind Eternity.

It just breaks on so many levels that whichever way you look at it, its just a huge loophole.

This is the kind of stuff I like to be discussed. In my guild there is a couple who actually sort of do this. They first collect a legendary for one of them, then they collect one for the other. From now on they can just save up for the Sunrise and Twilight and use this loophole to get the skin unlocked on both their characters, almost double the reward for the same effort. I say almost because they wont actually have 2 Sunrises and 2 Twilights, but they will have Eternity on one character and the skins of Sunrise and Twilight on both characters.

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

The problem arises due to soul bound/account bound swords being used to create an unbound item in the forge. The best solution:

Change the recipe. If two soul bound swords are used to create Eternity, then the Eternity comes out account bound. If two unbound swords are used….then Eternity isn’t either.

This solves every problem without impacting the current swords on the TP, and stops the exploit of multiple legendary unlocks for those that don’t deserve them.

Easy.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Can’t it just be made so that when you combine them to make Eternity, the skins are ripped from the warddrobe? Then, if you sell it you lose all skins. Bind it and you get the eternity skin + the other 2 back.

Or make the bindings on them carry over. If either sunrise or twilight is soulbound, then the resulting eternity will also be bound (account).
If they are both unbound, then the eternity will also be unbound and the seller gets no skins.

I’m sure there’s flaws in these ideas, but surely something like that could be implemented?

Except they won’t be more common. Those people already have the skins. They can’t log into multiple characters at the same time, so in the end, the people with the skins will continue to have the skins (on whatever character on their account they want) and the ones without will continue to not have them. You will not see an increase in the number of people at any given time with the skins. You may see different names with the skins, but just means that account has access to them, and again since you can’t log into more than one character at the same time, you won’t notice a change. It’s zero sum.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Xae Isareth.1364

^ I think you’re quoting the wrong post but :

They would be more common. Every time you are doing this, you’re either producing a set of Twilight and Sunrise from thin air without any work involved or making Teilight and Sunrise avaliable to 2 accounts instead of the normal 1. You could say its a duplication trick of sorts.

Draknar.5748

They would be more common. Every time you are doing this, you’re either producing a set of Twilight and Sunrise from thin air without any work involved or making Teilight and Sunrise avaliable to 2 accounts instead of the normal 1. You could say its a duplication trick of sorts.

How is it available on two accounts now? You mean characters. I hope…

Think of it this way: let’s say I’m a guy who has 10 Ferraris. I can only drive one at a time. So in some small town there’s me and this other guy who have Ferraris. Everyone knows us. We’re the Ferrari guys. Me and this other guy buy 10 more Ferraris, because well, why not we’re loaded and like them.

That town will not see a single additional Ferrari at any given time. The most they could ever see driving around is two. Me and the other guy. Just because we have multiples of them, doesn’t mean there will be multiples around. It will still only be two max, at any given time. So the Ferraris are not more common because the same two guys have multiples.

Same goes with these legendaries. Just because the same people can now make multiples out of thin air (skins btw), doesn’t mean you will see them more now. They can only take one out at a time. To log in another character to show off their new legendary, would require logging out the first character. In the end it is the same number of people with legendaries…

The only change will be the increase in dual-wielded Legendaries, but even then, it’s the people who already had them that will be dual wielding them.

Nothing will change.

If 50 people had 50 Legendaries before 4/15, the same 50 people will now have 50 * # characters on account. But at any given time it will still only be 50 Legendary-wielding characters logged in.

Does that make sense now?

PS And yes apparently I quoted wrong person lol.

Posted by: kmortonson.2154

kmortonson.2154

How is it available on two accounts now? You mean characters. I hope…

Think of it this way: let’s say I’m a guy who has 10 Ferraris. I can only drive one at a time. So in some small town there’s me and this other guy who have Ferraris. Everyone knows us. We’re the Ferrari guys. Me and this other guy buy 10 more Ferraris, because well, why not we’re loaded and like them.

That town will not see a single additional Ferrari at any given time. The most they could ever see driving around is two. Me and the other guy. Just because we have multiples of them, doesn’t mean there will be multiples around. It will still only be two max, at any given time. So the Ferraris are not more common because the same two guys have multiples.

Same goes with these legendaries. Just because the same people can now make multiples out of thin air (skins btw), doesn’t mean you will see them more now. They can only take one out at a time. To log in another character to show off their new legendary, would require logging out the first character. In the end it is the same number of people with legendaries…

The only change will be the increase in dual-wielded Legendaries, but even then, it’s the people who already had them that will be dual wielding them.

Nothing will change.

If 50 people had 50 Legendaries before 4/15, the same 50 people will now have 50 * # characters on account. But at any given time it will still only be 50 Legendary-wielding characters logged in.

Does that make sense now?

PS And yes apparently I quoted wrong person lol.

Your example certainly works for other legendaries. However, since you get the “precursor” skins when you unlock a legendary skin, Eternity causes a special problem because it is formed by combining Twilight and Sunrise.

Say Player A creates Twilight. He equips it and gets the skin in the wardrobe.

Next, Player A creates Sunrise. He equips it and gets that skin in the wardrobe too.

Player A then combines the Twilight and Sunrise in the Mystic Forge and creates Eternity. He does NOT equip it and sells it instead to Player B.

Player B equips Eternity – which gives him the Eternity, Twilight and Sunrise skins in his wardrobe.

1 Twilight and 1 Sunrise were created – but 2 accounts now have the skins. Hence the “duplication” concern.

Posted by: Jure Simich.6154

Jure Simich.6154

No, only one account has the Eternity skin and another one has Twilight and Sunrise skins. Only one can, for example, choose to have permanent Twilight and only one can have a changing skin.

Look, I know it hurts – but don’t you think it’s impossible to improve anything if we take the position that it’s unjust that some suffered from what is improved earlier?

Look toward a brighter future, instead

Posted by: kmortonson.2154

kmortonson.2154

No, only one account has the Eternity skin and another one has Twilight and Sunrise skins. Only one can, for example, choose to have permanent Twilight and only one can have a changing skin.

Look, I know it hurts – but don’t you think it’s impossible to improve anything if we take the position that it’s unjust that some suffered from what is improved earlier?

According to the Wardrobe blog post:

If you have an item that has gone through skin progression, like a legendary weapon or one of the Spinal Blade backpacks from the “Escape from Lion’s Arch” and “Battle for Lion’s Arch” releases, you will unlock all of the skins in that direct line of progression. That means that if you made Twilight, you will have access to both the Twilight and Dusk skins across your entire account.

So, if this holds true for Eternity, an Eternity owner will gain the Twilight and Sunrise skins in addition to the Eternity skin.

We just don’t know yet if it does hold true for Eternity, and whether ANet intends for it to work that way.

Xae Isareth.1364

Except that there is a solution, and its actually a very simple solution which won’t hurt anyone.

And this isn’t a bit of ‘hurt’, this is actually a potential exploit.

Posted by: BlueDragon.7054

BlueDragon.7054

I think that the solution is that if you have equipped sunrise and twilight and try to make eyernity with those weapons then eternity should be created account bound.

But if you don’t equip sunrise or twilight, then when making eternity it shoulb be account bound on use, not when you get it.

This way you avoid the exploit and people are still able to make eternity for selling it.

Xae Isareth.1364

Any sort of an answer from Anet would be nice.

Posted by: Heisenbug.8135

Heisenbug.8135

And then cry big time when Eternity gets further upgraded to something even more cool. You would be surprised how many would just keep their eternity. Someone capable of crafting eternity doesn’t give too much about missed gold.

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

And then cry big time when Eternity gets further upgraded to something even more cool. You would be surprised how many would just keep their eternity. Someone capable of crafting eternity doesn’t give too much about missed gold.

On the contrary. I would rather sell Eternity and keep Twilight & Sunrise skins, then use the money to buy Juggernaut & Frenzy.

But then again, I’m someone who was going to just keep Twilight & Sunrise rather than make Eternity before they announced this Wardrobe thing. Eternity is a piece of junk.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

(edited by Flissy.4093)

Draknar.5748

Your example certainly works for other legendaries. However, since you get the “precursor” skins when you unlock a legendary skin, Eternity causes a special problem because it is formed by combining Twilight and Sunrise.

Say Player A creates Twilight. He equips it and gets the skin in the wardrobe.

Next, Player A creates Sunrise. He equips it and gets that skin in the wardrobe too.

Player A then combines the Twilight and Sunrise in the Mystic Forge and creates Eternity. He does NOT equip it and sells it instead to Player B.

Player B equips Eternity – which gives him the Eternity, Twilight and Sunrise skins in his wardrobe.

1 Twilight and 1 Sunrise were created – but 2 accounts now have the skins. Hence the “duplication” concern.

You have to equip to save skin I believe. So if he sold the weapon, he would not have the Eternity skin.

Also, binding Eternity would only give player B the Eternity skin. Not Sunrise and Twilight. I don’t know why you think it would?

Also, I was under the impression that at least on 4/15, but even now possibly, that if you create Eternity from two already bound Sunrises and Twilights, that the Eternity you create is bound as well. Anyone able to clarify this? If I’m right, then that solves the problem.

Further, to use your example. Player B, if they have the cash to buy Eternity on TP, would be someone that would have a legendary anyway. So in the end, Player B has his legendary since he can afford to buy one, he would have one regardless of the wardrobe change, and Player A, who has straight up earned both of his legendaries (or bought them who cares), continues to have his Legendary skins. In the end, it’s the people who can get Legendaries that will continue to have them. It’s not like everyone and their cousin can just go out and drop 2400g on a weapon for the skin.