About the Labyrinthine Horror

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: KickzNGigglez.4958

KickzNGigglez.4958

Can we rename Labyrinthine Horror to Steve? It’s catching on pretty quickly.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

As far as my guild is concerned, his name is already Steve!

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

But isn’t the Deep Sea Dragon named Steve?

KickzNGigglez.4958

Opportunity for future epic death battle

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

That was only an inside dev name for it. It’s real name is Bubbles.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Yea, it’s kinda he’s called the Labyrinthine Horror when it’s clearly us. The giant clob of mortal creatures who, despite our mortality, come in swinging oversized weapons slaughtering poor skeletons and spiders and candygolems by the thousands. They’re horrors? yea right?

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I agree. Steve works great for the Lab Horror too. I’ve always preferred “Bubbles” for the deep sea dragon name.

Reminds me of the Lion’s Arch mermaid incident.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

The Labyrinthine Horror is the DSD?

Oh my, this could get confusing!

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

I’ve always called the Horror “Steve…”

O_O

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

I agree. Steve works great for the Lab Horror too. I’ve always preferred “Bubbles” for the deep sea dragon name.

Reminds me of the Lion’s Arch mermaid incident.

—Shudders-
(15 quaggans choking on pumpkin seeds)

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I played my little heart out this weekend, even took a day of PTO to get in more Labyrinth time. And given the confusion with the undersea creature, I’m hoping we can all agree to call the Labyrinthine Horror by the name of… ~drum roll~ … Cecil. It… just seems fitting, and players seemed to agree.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

jheryn.8390

I played my little heart out this weekend, even took a day of PTO to get in more Labyrinth time. And given the confusion with the undersea creature, I’m hoping we can all agree to call the Labyrinthine Horror by the name of… ~drum roll~ … Cecil. It… just seems fitting, and players seemed to agree.

I. Just. Can’t.

LH will always be Steve to me any my guildmates. Sorry S-Named-Undersea-Dragon, but you will have to be “Bubbles” to my friends and I until Anet is ready to reveal you.

I called Steve “Cecil” and he knocked me over. He didn’t like it.

Posted by: Crell.6401

Crell.6401

The community has been calling him Steve for more than 2 years now.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

The name Steve is already taken by the DSD

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I dunno. I’d vote for… Colin. Here’s why:

• People want to blame him for ruining their loot run and dying too often.
  • Other people love breaking his defiance and forcing him to stand still for 2 seconds.
  • He swings a sword; he swings it again.
  • Big grin.

Colin, the Labyrinthine Horror

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Azure Fang.8605

Azure Fang.8605

• Other people love breaking his defiance and forcing him to stand still for 2 seconds.
  • Big grin.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

• Big grin.

ANet, between this post and the pancakes suggestion in the other thread, I implore you to hire this person and pay ’em whatever they ask.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

Why does it has to be a HE? What makes you think Labyrinthine Horror is not a SHE?

I vote for: Emanuelle, the Labyrinthine Horror.
We will call it short: Ema

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Colin! Colin! He’s our man. If he can’t swing a sword, no one can!

I vote for Colin also. Renaming the Labyrinthine Horror to Colin would be a funny tribute to a very nice man who worked for ANet for so many years.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: JaddynnStarr.5201

JaddynnStarr.5201

Why does it has to be a HE? What makes you think Labyrinthine Horror is not a SHE?

I vote for: Emanuelle, the Labyrinthine Horror.
We will call it short: Ema

that’s easy if it was a “she” it would be called a Horrorette! or Horroress!

Posted by: Ayesac.5416

Ayesac.5416

I’ve called the Labyrinthine Horror Jeff, since I’ve started Guild Wars 2..

Posted by: Bad Nursie.2876

Bad Nursie.2876

Any TF2 Blackmesa map fans who remember “Steve?”

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Clearly opinions vary! In the game, I got resounding approval for Cecil, particularly since it eliminated the confusion with another beastie. I’m personally not a fan of using the name of someone I know, like Colin, or Steve. However your mileage may vary, and that’s ok.

The fact of the matter is, if I see someone 2 feet taller than me approaching with a roaring chainsaw, I’m likely to call him “Sir.” Or her “Ma’am.”

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

EphemeralWallaby.7643

The fact of the matter is, if I see someone 2 feet taller than me approaching with a roaring chainsaw, I’m likely to call him “Sir.” Or her “Ma’am.”

If I see someone 2 feet taller than me approaching with a roaring chainsaw, then I’m facing the wrong direction.

~EW

Just a flesh wound.3589

Cecil The Seasick Sea Serpent should be the name of our underwater dragon, not the Horror. :/

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Meridian.4983

Meridian.4983

Colin! Colin! He’s our man. If he can’t swing a sword, no one can!

I vote for Colin also. Renaming the Labyrinthine Horror to Colin would be a funny tribute to a very nice man who worked for ANet for so many years.

There is already a Kolijn Johansson walking around in Hoelbrak. If we’re naming the Horror, I vote for Bad Ash. I’m getting my boom stick next time I farm the lab.

[NA] | BP
Zombie | God | For the Pass!

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

I’ve never heard it called anything else besides Steve (and Horror of course). Cecil does not fit what-so-ever.

SBI

KickzNGigglez.4958

During the Gw2 finale Steve the labyrinth horror and Steve the Deep Sea Dragon have an epic battle in LA to determine who the superior Steve is. Unfortunately, Steve falls in battle taking a shot aimed at the commander. His sacrifice rallies not only the pact, but all of Tyria against the Sea Beast for one last fight. We all come out victorious and build a memorial to Steve in the middle of LA during the 2nd reconstruction of the city.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Steve the sea dragon is renamed to Bubbles in the history books.

(edited by KickzNGigglez.4958)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Clearly opinions vary! In the game, I got resounding approval for Cecil, particularly since it eliminated the confusion with another beastie. I’m personally not a fan of using the name of someone I know, like Colin, or Steve. However your mileage may vary, and that’s ok.

Ok, you win:
Sir Colin, Labyrinthine Horror

And yes, I mean this as an NPC name of affection — Colin has had a tremendous impact on the game, as the LH (by whatever name one choose to refer to it/him/her) has on everyone’s favorite farm (at least for 2-3 weeks each October).

PS I’m no expert in Skeletons, but couldn’t Sir Colin’s gender be determined conclusively from the shape of the bones? Is there an osteologist in the house? Or perhaps an anthropologist or archaeologist.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

If I see someone 2 feet taller than me approaching with a roaring chainsaw, then I’m facing the wrong direction.

~EW

EW, I literally lol’d at this one. Thank you for the best post I’ve seen today.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Looks like Eddie to me. Definitely belongs on a Maiden album cover IMO.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Sir Cecil, The Labyrinthine Horror maybe?

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Sir Cecil, The Labyrinthine Horror maybe?

Could be. Given it’s all just for fun, and the name won’t change officially, I think anything is fair game.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Just a flesh wound.3589

~EW

Shocking. Simply shocking pre-judging. Just because an 8 foot Skeleton is running towards you with a roaring chainsaw is no reason for you to make negative snap judgements about him and run away! You need to take the time to talk to him. Try to see things from his point of view. Empathize. Maybe he’s having a bad day and only needs a sympathetic listener. If he chainsaws you in half its a sign you didn’t try hard enough. You didn’t reach out to him and discuss his needs, his dreams and problems.

Can’t we all just get along? :/

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

We all know how this works in MMOs. Only one of them can be Steve.

The other one will have to be Stevé or Steeve.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I initially called him Larry but everyone was calling him Steve so I started calling him that. Maybe Larry is a good name for him since Steve was taken.

EphemeralWallaby.7643

~EW

Shocking. Simply shocking pre-judging. Just because an 8 foot Skeleton is running towards you with a roaring chainsaw is no reason for you to make negative snap judgements about him and run away! You need to take the time to talk to him. Try to see things from his point of view. Empathize. Maybe he’s having a bad day and only needs a sympathetic listener. If he chainsaws you in half its a sign you didn’t try hard enough. You didn’t reach out to him and discuss his needs, his dreams and problems.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. There’s a reason I no longer use OKCupid: codependent 8ft tall chainsaw wielding skeletons are all the same right down to the bone.

~EW

Posted by: Daiki.6237

Daiki.6237

So calling him Josh is out as well? Because I think he looks like a Josh to me.

Just a flesh wound.3589

~EW

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. There’s a reason I no longer use OKCupid: codependent 8ft tall chainsaw wielding skeletons are all the same right down to the bone.

~EW

I’ve signed you up for the sensitivities training class called “Codependency and Your Chainsaw Wielding Skeleton Partner. Love them or leave them?” Hopefully you’ll gain new insight and feel free to date them once again, having overcome the obstacles. It’s tomorrow at 8PM. See you there.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

Look…
There are 3 major bosses in the Labyrinth.
Richard the Litch
Colin the Skeleton
and Theodor the King sized Candy corn

However Colin is upset because the Visitors keep calling him Steve.

I don’t inderstand why they keep calling me Steve. Isn’t that the name of some Deep sea beast? I mean look at me! I can’t even Swim!

Colin says…

Richard declare:

These are the rudest visitors we’ve ever encountered. They come to our place, break all our toys, steal all our food, hack faces to our plants, kill us over and over, and now they are trying to change poor Colin’s name. I know the guy since childhood, and I know he has feelings like all of us. They think that just because he is a skeleton they can treat him like dirt?!

Theodor however has a different opinion:

I don’t care how they call Colin. They might want to call him, Steve, Bob or Jack for all I care. The other two don’t realize that these visitors are a blessing to this place. I mean, we spread all our toys and leftover all over the place. The Labyrinth is not gona clean it self. Who do they think is gona clean that mess up?! Not me, I’ll tell you! Letting these “Treasure Hunter” weirdos in can clear this place every season free of charge. Calling Colin names is a small price to pay to make the place livable for another year.

…and don’t be toxic!

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

His name was Cecil in the realm of the living, and he was an asura that suffered from gigantism. He was found abandoned as a baby, most likely due to his deformities.

Cecil grew up in an orphanage, and was never adopted. Often times the other children made fun of him for the way he looked.

As an adult, Cecil became a traveling janitor, and was darn good at it.

One day, Cecil was in the Black Citadel and was hired to clean up the pub after a typical charr birthday celebration. He left town afterwards and wasn’t heard from again.

After several months, someone found Cecil. He was dead, in a shack outside Divinity’s Reach. The cause of death was determined to be autoerotic asphyxiation.

There’s something charming about rangers.

(edited by Charrbeque.8729)

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

I must weigh in here, I am Aggie Se’leraun, Necromancer by trade. Steve and I had a torrid love affair for a short time, but after a time we broke up in a fiery fight of rage and passion. I cursed him to live unhappily ever after. He has stalked me ever since.

**The story behind the story, begins three years ago when my guild mates and I, were in the Labryinth and they noticed the, “Horror” dubbed Steve always triggered by my presence. I know this was a fluke, however they began teasing me. “Aggie tell your boyfriend to go away.” Back then Steve had some nasty habits and often downed a whole group fighting Candy Corn. Each year the story of Aggie and Steve and their bitter battle has grown. Whenever we are running Labryinth, we often cry out “Steve” when he appears. What surprises me this year is to begin to hear others chanting it. I don’t know what caused my guild to pick Steve, honestly I think it made it funny cause it is such a common normal name on such a crazy beast! Halloween Time we hold dear to us, we are often your commanders in labryinth. The legend of Steve shall always live on in our guild. #makeSteveLiveagain

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Our guild named Steve the dragon that beats up the plant queen I forgot her name now, mother tree isn’kitten

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

(edited by Fat Disgrace.4275)

Charrbeque.8729

Our guild named Steve the dragon that beats up the plant queen I forgot her name now, mother tree isn’kitten

It’s called the Pale Tree. -.-

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I’ll never understand this silly human desire to give everyone a nickname.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Charrbeque.8729

I’ll never understand this silly human desire to give everyone a nickname.

Yeah. Crazy humans. Giving their automobiles girl names.

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I think Jon or Peter. Taking a chainsaw to GW2 and then disappearing deep into the Amazon.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

(edited by Svarty.8019)

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

I called Steve “Cecil” and he knocked me over. He didn’t like it.

Lol xD

jheryn.8390

The name Steve is already taken by the DSD

LOL. Well, not officially. My guildmates and I have called LH “Steve” since we first saw him/her which was well before the DSD was on anyone’s radar for a name.

As Gaile said, however, the official name of The Labyrinthian Horror will not change. To bad. Maybe one day we will get a fractal that explains how LH turned into this monstrosity and what his/her real name is.

jheryn.8390

• Big grin.

ANet, between this post and the pancakes suggestion in the other thread, I implore you to hire this man and pay him whatever he asks.

~EW

I agree with you EW except she may take exception to being called a man. Just sayin’…