Suppressed Messaging vs. "Smart" Bosses

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Hey there, Anet.

At the moment, we already have enough problems with community coordination due to

• always full and never empty maps in megaserver system,
  • people with language chat filters turned on and unaware of its existence,
  • lackluster Commander system,
  • absence of in-game voice communication (not happening for understandable reasons),
  • message suppression.

All other things aside, the last issue is getting more of a problem since you’re delivering us more content which requires coordination, but you’re suppressing us while we’re trying to actually coordinate – thus playing it the way you intended!

This has happened before at Tequatl and Wurm, but you most likely had people on Teamspeak there… now it’s Living Story full of random people from different servers. We need to communicate there if you want us to play it your way, and calling out thing like “Conditions now!” or “Stop conditions, DPS!” or “Turret here!” or “Throw seeds!” or “Do not throw seeds under the boss, #;&!:!!” is part of it.

I tried being a turret caller yesterday at Boom-Boom… and I got suppressed really fast. I then had to spend crucial time to misspell the “trurrat” word each time instead of DPSing… And still got suppressed eventually.

So, what I suggest doing regarding message suppression:

• Raise substantially or lift suppression threshold for areas which require coordination: Teq, Wurm, Marionette, Assault Knights, Hologram, Pavillion etc.
  • Raise substantially or lift suppression threshold for players who have a Commander tag acquired regardless of it being active or not, because detagging is often crucial to avoid the lemming effect.

To further facilitate communication you also can:

• Turn off language filter by default. People will tell each other you can turn it on eventually.
  • Provide Commanders with more abilities, like assigning sub-commanders (would help in events which require either zero or 5-6 tags – see Mario, Pavillion) for a limited time even being detagged themselves,
  • like different colors for commander tag icons,
  • like pre-set commander chat commands (“Turret!”, “DPS!”, “Repair!”, “Build!”, “Stack on me!”, “Fire fields! No light fields!”, “Blast water fields!” etc.) which could be assigned to buttons (numpad?) and rapidly delivered to players without having to type them each time, especially if Latin is not your main keyboard layout.
  • Think of a system to temporarily demote people who tag up when they shouldn’t (and thus drive away the lemming part of players from correct objectives); it may be a kind of very transparent or bad-colored tag as a semi-measure.
  • Think of reworking the squad system.
  • Introduce a user-side right-click anti-spam report system which would activate a message suppression algorithm (no, not just suppress everything) to deal with real chat abusing (preferably usable on emotes as well).
  • Lift mail restrictions on things like potions in parties and message restrictions in non-local and non-map channels.

Attachments:

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Custom emotes aren’t suppressed I don’t think. So as a temporary workaround if you’re doing something like turret calling you can always just type “/emote Turret” or whatever the command is.

Lishtenbird.2814

Custom emotes aren’t suppressed I don’t think. So as a temporary workaround if you’re doing something like turret calling you can always just type “/emote Turret” or whatever the command is.

Do you think people will even see some short gray text in the chat? They even miss a floating “say” balloon often enough.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

I sure have to scratch my head at this one. All this will end up doing is penalizing regular players(especially commanders), while the gold spammers go about their merry way.

Whoever thought this would be a good ‘fix’ for the problem ought to have their head examined.

Here’s more about it over on reddit…..

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/26b9zw/this_chat_suppression_system_needs_to_change/

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Lishtenbird.2814

Posted it earlier today: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suppressed-Messaging-vs-Smart-Bosses

Doesn’t look like anyone here is bothered with it though…

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Teon.5168

Ah….thx, Lish….did not see it….my apologies. Am surprised that not many people have responded to it.

Think this will probably make more commanders demand that people are on teamspeak, and then those not on ts will be pretty much clueless as to what commander is doing.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Lishtenbird.2814

Ah….thx, Lish….did not see it….my apologies. Am surprised that not many people have responded to it.

Not many people even interested in the event that causes mostly frustration and is more of a gold sink than rewarding. Not many people interested in herding the zerg which was taught different things by ANet – you do know yourself that [good] commander to casual zerger ratio is ridiculous.

Got 2 gold rewards and 2 silver ones tonight… but organisation even with Teamspeak was long and tedious, and I could simply run several world bosses with more fun and with more loot in that time without getting constant “Suppressed!” when trying to help. Now I feel tired as if I was continuing my job instead of relaxing while playing… so yes, there’s just no point in doing it (unless you’re in a large perfectly organised mega-guild), so people don’t care – and most likely I won’t as well. It’s boring and unrewarding.

Teon.5168

Yea, I have been back to the Pavillion several times, hoping to find a well organized bunch of 6 small groups, or at least enough people to try and get that sort of thing together, but it is just not happening.

Think I will be ignoring the Pavillion for the remaining time that it is up. It’s a fairly pointless waste of time, unless, like you said, one belongs to a well organized uber guild.

Ah well, I enjoy the bazaar, and there are plenty of other things in the game that are enjoyable. (I have been a bit surprised that WvW is doing ok during this LS event)

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

Megaservers
Added a chat option – enabled by default – that shows only the messages coming from players sharing your client’s text language.
This option is only applied in to the /map and /say channels, as well as the /team channel in the Edge of the Mists. Other channels are not affected.
Messages from players in your friend list are never hidden.
Messages from players from the same World as yours are never hidden.
Messages from players currently in your party are never hidden.
Messages from players representing the same guild as you do are never hidden.

When I saw this in patch notes, I thought they did away with suppression… Honestly, I don’t feel the suppression system is handled right, Let people talk/say what they want, if they go out of line report/block them as you see fit, but let them talk and coordinate. it’s insane how quickly you can get suppressed in any battle, or any situation, even saying thanks for being revived.

Teon.5168

Excellent point, Xbon. With this new suppression, saying “ty” 3 times would get you suppressed……..great idea, Anet! /facepalm

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Message suppression is because of the frequency of the messages, not their content.

As far as coordination, Teamspeak. There’s almost zero success in organizing lemmings in mapchat, so why bother?

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

When will they fix Suppressed!

I hate doing events Commanding and then getting Suppressed.

Today I was commanding the bandit Boom Boom boss I was also looking out for Heal Turret and would Post (Not posting skill) but actually typing out “heal” or “turret” or “Fight here” to not get Suppressed and sometimes I still would, this is ridiculous we need to be able to call something out more than 2-3x in a 10min period.

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

When will they fix Suppressed!

I hate doing events Commanding and then getting Suppressed.

Today I was commanding the bandit Boom Boom boss I was also looking out for Heal Turret and would Post (Not posting skill) but actually typing out “heal” or “turret” or “Fight here” to not get Suppressed and sometimes I still would, this is ridiculous we need to be able to call something out more than 2-3x in a 10min period.

100% agree, it’s the only mmo I know to do this, What is the point of an MMO if you can’t communicate between players?

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

Commanders should never be subject of suppression. In the rare case they spam and annoy (and due to reports about them) suppress the commander status for a while, but communication never should be limitated. Especially not in situations where coordination is absolutely necessary.

Posted by: Cicada.3596

Cicada.3596

well , for temporary solutions, i suggest you ( commander ) ask 5-10 people around you that killin 1 boss to join your squad, u can use squad chat to prevent suppressed chat.

well for now …

Posted by: Maxite.6102

Maxite.6102

I always hated people repeating the same thing over in chat. And a commander tag does not make you special. (Listen to me, I’m a commander, dawg.) – Saying stuff once every now and then won’t get you suppressed. If you are, then maybe its time to reevaluate and adapt?

Posted by: Gilburt.9146

Gilburt.9146

What makes this event ridiculous to coordinate without a guild group voice communication, and\or 6 dedicated commanders is that the event UI is compeltely worthless. You can only see the health and number of players fighting for a single boss at a time, which means map chat is the only way to communicate this information. Anet shouldn’t bother putting events in the open world that require coordination if they’re not going to even try to include a UI that provides random players the information they need to coordinate.

Brother Gilburt – Guard / Agent Gilburt – Thief

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: Commanders should never be subject of suppression. – Then spammers would just get commander tags.
Squad chat does not seem to suffer from suppression. And commanders can be in a party. The problem is a party has a max capacity of 5. So for an Event requiring 6 groups, (like The CP) one group would be out of the loop.

Lishtenbird.2814

I always hated people repeating the same thing over in chat. And a commander tag does not make you special. (Listen to me, I’m a commander, dawg.) – Saying stuff once every now and then won’t get you suppressed. If you are, then maybe its time to reevaluate and adapt?

Sorry, but no – it’s time for casuals/non-elitists/anti-elitists/zergers/lemmings/sheeple to reevaluate and adapt. ANet has repeatedly shown now that they’re trying to turn LS events into anti-zerg open world raids, and people have repeatedly shown how miserably they fail to understand what is written on the screen.

You’re all talking about parties, squads and Teamspeaks… Yet people do not join parties or squads or TS (and we’re megaservered now, you know?), have their lang filter on, chat turned off, and are often even oblivious to things said to them in large floating in-game balloons. People eat their donuts on their sofas while watching Youtube and playing GW2 and still think that they will get everything if someone else does the job for them and they can just mash 111 to tag mobs.

Is it so hard to download and friggin’ listen in Teamspeak?

Is it so hard to attack the turret when you see the turret and the blue buff icon?

Is it so hard not to rush to other bosses and upscale them if you’re told to, and to stop DPS when you’re told to?

Is it so hard to not donate before teams get organised, or you’re so bored of waiting that you prefer to sabotage other 80 people who’re trying to get you gold reward?

Is it so hard to build left ram first and then right ram if you have supply as commander said, and not two rams to 50%?

Is it so hard to get the buff and switch DPS/condi when you see the Assault knights switch modes?

Is it so hard to not put light fields at Tequatl and stack on commander for double damage at cleave points?

Until a dominating part of players takes responsibility for the fact that how they play affects how many, many more other people play, we will need commanders who repeat obvious things in say balloons.

Lishtenbird.2814

We’ve been running organised gold Pavillions on a daily basis now, and chat suppression is getting really annoying.

Yes, our commanders are on TS, many party members as well, but it still licks a dolyak to get suppressed on a “STOP ATTACKING” message to random people who simply do not care to join TS or have chat turned off.

We even got a dedicated commander who was assigned to relaying bosses’ HP info in map chat suppressed. And obviously she was typing different messages.

That’s not fun, ANet; if you provide content which requires communication and coordination, you should also provide efficient and stressless ways of those.

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

I kind of don’t want Commanders to pop up in the middle of my screen spamming some bs.

Spam bots already are spam buying gw2 keys and spamming everyone daily. 100g wouldn’t be an issue for them. I doubt anyone would want to see a gold selling spam in the middle of his screen on almost every map.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Posted by: zMajc.4659

zMajc.4659

I was in an organized pavillion the other day. I only typed boss hp %, pretty soon i couldn’t say anything …

Pretty annoying to say the least.

Lishtenbird.2814

I kind of don’t want Commanders to pop up in the middle of my screen spamming some bs.

Spam bots already are spam buying gw2 keys and spamming everyone daily. 100g wouldn’t be an issue for them. I doubt anyone would want to see a gold selling spam in the middle of his screen on almost every map.

Okay. Then could you please refrain from staying in any maps with any commander tags from now on? ‘Cause we paid 100g for the convenience of organising world events for people who don’t have “extra” 100g, and not for the sake of people who don’t even care to read some “bs” like “STOP DPS, wait for other bosses!”. So obviously if you don’t need that service and are instead opposing it, you shouldn’t benefit from it as well.

Thanks!

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Okay. Then could you please refrain from staying in any maps with any commander tags from now on? ‘Cause we paid 100g for the convenience of organising world events for people who don’t have “extra” 100g, and not for the sake of people who don’t even care to read some “bs” like “STOP DPS, wait for other bosses!”. So obviously if you don’t need that service and are instead opposing it, you shouldn’t benefit from it as well.

Thanks!

He wasn’t talking about you, or other commanders trying to organize an event, he was saying that commander tags being able to bypass spam suppression would soon be abused by gold sellers to bypass the system.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Gold seller spam is an issue that is readily dealt with via report/block. Chat spam by non gold sellers can be treated the same way. Does chat suppression really add anything substantial as a gold seller enforcement mechanic?

Well, outside of allowing people to not have to use report/block — clicking on a name in chat a couple of times is seriously inconvenient. >.>

/sarcasm off

I believe the OP has a point about the issue with spam suppression and event coordination. This seems like an unintended consequence of a feature designed for one thing interfering with something else. I’ll second/third/nth the call for some kind of fix.

Lishtenbird.2814

He wasn’t talking about you, or other commanders trying to organize an event, he was saying that commander tags being able to bypass spam suppression would soon be abused by gold sellers to bypass the system.

These things are covered by these 2 points in my post:

• Think of a system to temporarily demote people who tag up when they shouldn’t (and thus drive away the lemming part of players from correct objectives); it may be a kind of very transparent or bad-colored tag as a semi-measure.
  • Introduce a user-side right-click anti-spam report system which would activate a message suppression algorithm (no, not just suppress everything) to deal with real chat abusing (preferably usable on emotes as well).

So,

• getting a commander tag would need 100g investments (+badges which some people might not have) for “better” spamming, while also drawing attention to these accounts (as most would require transfer of these money),
  • getting a commander tag would only help you in /say and /map chat, which are far rarely used for a reason as you know,
  • getting a commander tag will not help you if several user reports would automatically trigger chat restrictions – as suggested.

All and all, the benefits of using the commander tag in such a setting would not be efficient enough.