Sure, you can close the nobrain farms..

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

If you make normal farming doable! I mean what in the world, after union got closed, I went for CS mining run and 9/10 mobs that I have to kill don’t even drop anything. I’m like ok maybe it’s unusual bad luck.

I go back to do melandru (first time in over a month) and guess what, loot still barely drops. I’m talking ANY loot, no porous bones, no bags, no claws. Just XP?

This game is so unrewarding now it’s not even funny. What am I supposed to do? Go southsun only? What happened to playing how you want? Dungeons are a time sink and the reward is not worth the trouble – that is of course ignoring Cof p1.

I’m really wondering now.. legimately. This is not a rant. What I wanna know is what does anet want the players to do now that they’re removing all sources of solid income and pushing drop rates to the limits?

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Guild Wars 1 players were familiar with the cash shop for items that don’t affect power or pvp, and when Guild Wars 2 added the diamond/gold trade, most Guild Wars 1 players were smart enough to see the direction that Guild Wars 2 was going to take, which is removing pretty much all sources of easy income so most people will just buy diamonds and switch them to gold. At the moment that Anet started slowly decreasing the drop rate on good items, most players from Guild Wars 1 left, including myself. So, in short, Anet wants you to spend money to get fake money, to increase your satisfaction in a fake game. Hope that answers your question.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I did melandru today (starting from defending the landing site phase), got 24 pieces of loot (blues, greens) and 6 bags. Also some tier 5 mats. Not that much worse than what you get from a dungeon and this takes far less time. I don’t consider it to be bad loot.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Guild Wars 1 players were familiar with the cash shop for items that don’t affect power or pvp, and when Guild Wars 2 added the diamond/gold trade, most Guild Wars 1 players were smart enough to see the direction that Guild Wars 2 was going to take, which is removing pretty much all sources of easy income so most people will just buy diamonds and switch them to gold. At the moment that Anet started slowly decreasing the drop rate on good items, most players from Guild Wars 1 left, including myself. So, in short, Anet wants you to spend money to get fake money, to increase your satisfaction in a fake game. Hope that answers your question.

Nope.

You have the option to legitimately (as opposed to illegitimately, as many gamers do) buy fake money with real money to increase your monetary needs and satisfaction in game.

Doing this get’s you $$$ in game, or else skins, novelty items, and various temporary boosts akin to food buffs, which you can make for free.

Moreover, the food buffs tend to be better. That’s by design.

GW2 isn’t P2W. The person who chooses to use gems simply get’s the means to the end faster then the one who chooses to work for it in game for free.

There’s no latent advantage present in getting there faster if once everyone arrives there, you’re all on equal footing.

Arriving “there” at the end game is a casual friendly experience, to the degree that many ‘hardcore’ players complain about that (as they do everything else).

The only honest grind in the game is there by design, and you get nothing for it beyond a pretty skin with particle effects and bragging rights.

There is no preferential treatment for the person who uses gems, beyond the convenience the purchase gives them.

Maybe the warm fuzzy feeling that you’re helping support a game you enjoy enough to spend additional income on then is necessary.

Absent a farm or grind to blame things on, forum begins arguing RNG isn’t fair because chaos is chaos and randomness is a player hater.

Except when it’s not. But kitten it all, make it better!

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Nope.

You have the option to legitimately (as opposed to illegitimately, as many gamers do) buy fake money with real money to increase your monetary needs and satisfaction in game.

Doing this get’s you $$$ in game, or else skins, novelty items, and various temporary boosts akin to food buffs, which you can make for free.

Moreover, the food buffs tend to be better. That’s by design.

GW2 isn’t P2W. The person who chooses to use gems simply get’s the means to the end faster then the one who chooses to work for it in game for free.

There’s no latent advantage present in getting there faster if once everyone arrives there, you’re all on equal footing.

Arriving “there” at the end game is a casual friendly experience, to the degree that many ‘hardcore’ players complain about that (as they do everything else).

The only honest grind in the game is there by design, and you get nothing for it beyond a pretty skin with particle effects and bragging rights.

There is no preferential treatment for the person who uses gems, beyond the convenience the purchase gives them.

Maybe the warm fuzzy feeling that you’re helping support a game you enjoy enough to spend additional income on then is necessary.

Absent a farm or grind to blame things on, forum begins arguing RNG isn’t fair because chaos is chaos and randomness is a player hater.

Except when it’s not. But kitten it all, make it better!

I agree, it’s definitely not P2W…. yet. But apparently you haven’t experienced the massive lack of drops in certain areas and you haven’t seen the posts about Southsun that say Anet is basically funneling players into it, which is most certainly true. Dailies push you there, you can basically either farm CoF or Southsun and most people prefer Southsun, and to get the new backpiece requires a bunch of Southsun achievements. If you don’t do CoF part 1 or go to Southsun, you’re out of options for money making. People will eventually get bored of farming Southsun and CoF and will just buy Diamonds for a quick gold gain. This is pretty much Anet’s goal, and a lot of people are just leaving or giving in to the diamond buying.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Mirta.5029

and to get the new backpiece requires a bunch of Southsun achievements.

and it took me 2 hours to get them all without using a guide and getting completely lost while collecting the plant things. I kind of like that they give items for achievements now. It most definitely beats getting them in RNG boxes.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

I’ve been running around in Orr all day between breaks in my personal story (in Orr), and have no magic find and always forget to eat food… But we’re running 10% magic bonus in my guild right now – so 10% is all the bonus I have.

But there are 2 exotics in my bags right now that were not there this morning. Plus my crafting mats have been filling up like crazy again, and I’ve vendored a ton of stuff.

/shrug.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Gasoline.2570

Well my experience is complete opposite. But somehow I just cannot believe all you “lucky” people with no magic find getting exotics all day all night.

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

CETheLucid.3964

Well my experience is complete opposite. But somehow I just cannot believe all you “lucky” people with no magic find getting exotics all day all night.

That’s because you’re a terrible judge of true chaos and the matter of fact frustrates your brains natural inclination to find patterns in things.

True story.

Gasoline.2570

I’m not the only one adressing this. True story.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

This is not a rant. What I wanna know is what does anet want the players to do now that they’re removing all sources of solid income and pushing drop rates to the limits?

They gave you other sources of loot, that make farming unnecessary.

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

I’m really wondering now.. legimately. This is not a rant. What I wanna know is what does anet want the players to do now that they’re removing all sources of solid income and pushing drop rates to the limits?

Answer is simple – cash shop.

CETheLucid.3964

I’m not the only one adressing this. True story.

Of course not. I wasn’t picking on you in particular. It’s a very common thing. This is why we have threads complaining about drop nerfs all the time.

In this particular instance regarding the Lyssa temple event stalling people were doing to farm, it is true. Jeffrey Vaughn confirmed it. The drop rate was nerfed for this event.

Moreover, people just “feel” that way when they’re in a particularly stagnant bout of no rares or exotics.

It’s not been nerfed all around, though it may seem that way for you at times.

http://muller.lbl.gov/teaching/physics10/old%20physics%2010/chapters%20%28old%29/4-Randomness.htm

While you’re getting nothing, someone else is getting two exotics and another just got a precursor. While you’re getting a precursor, someone else is getting a lot of nothing.

Sometimes two people are getting precursors, and one is getting an exotic. And other times, insert endless possible scenarios here.

True randomness is exceedingly kind, exceedingly cruel, and exceedingly moderate and always without any rhyme or reason.

MF does improve your odds and quality of drops overall, but this is no guarantee to the end of getting what you want.

A chance, even a better one, remains only a chance. It is not a certainty.

There is no certain criteria or steps you can follow to get A from B in terms of the loot table. There is no method of influencing that beyond MF.

(If you’ll notice with the Secret of Southsun Cove event, one of the buffs is a huge MF buff along gold find buff; it’s a pretty safe bet Anet’s testing things for improvements in drop rates.)

As soon as you understand this, you can begin to have fun seeing that doing anything much else with the same frequency is just as likely to get you the same gain.

Or despair as your dependable monotonous repetition isn’t going to yield you a dependable monotonous reward.

As the case may be.

Hang in there, farmer. Anet’s pretty good at pleasing all of the people some of the time. Maybe they’ll work something out for you.

Or maybe this game just isn’t for you. There’s no shortage of grindy/farmy MMO’s out there for you.

(edited by CETheLucid.3964)

Posted by: LoneWolfie.1852

LoneWolfie.1852

I’ve been running around in Orr all day between breaks in my personal story (in Orr), and have no magic find and always forget to eat food… But we’re running 10% magic bonus in my guild right now – so 10% is all the bonus I have.

But there are 2 exotics in my bags right now that were not there this morning. Plus my crafting mats have been filling up like crazy again, and I’ve vendored a ton of stuff.

/shrug.

Hi. I would like to say I had 1000 hours of gameplay in, and I gotten 2 exotics ever from a mob drop. Likewise, I had 150% mf, and my crafting mats isn’t filling up like crazy. The 2 exotics in your bag may have been map completion. That’s all I’m going to say.

Gasoline.2570

This is not a rant. What I wanna know is what does anet want the players to do now that they’re removing all sources of solid income and pushing drop rates to the limits?

Indulge me.

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I did melandru today (starting from defending the landing site phase), got 24 pieces of loot (blues, greens) and 6 bags. Also some tier 5 mats. Not that much worse than what you get from a dungeon and this takes far less time. I don’t consider it to be bad loot.

I did Melandru last night and got no drops. Did Melandru the night before and got no loot. Only loot I got was from the chests.

Did lyssa today and got no drops.

Neither case is the DR in effect because I ported into the area from another map to start the chain.

No point to these events if the only loot is from the chests. Too much time and I do not like the events. I don’t really care for any of the temple events really and only did them for the loot.

No point to running them at all now.

This is also one of the reasons I dislike RNG. I worked for something but not getting anything that I can use except vendor trash that only amounted to about 25 silver while others can pull a whole bunch of stuff and and make a gold. I put in just as much effort, sometimes more since I started the chain and many just show up for the last boss fight, and yet my reward is very much diminished and I haven’t even been in the area running other events. I find CoF runs more fun than these events and CoF is booring.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Posted by: Slyder.9215

Slyder.9215

My thinking is like this.

Remember, one of the cardinal rules of Sales is trying to convince people that they need the product you’re selling.

I don’t really want or need a Legendary so farming T6 mats or Rares to salvage into Ectos is something I just do with other people. If I’m not having fun anymore I stop. I don’t feel the need to stay there and farm.

Drop Rate and Gold decreasing to get people to buy gold with real money? What do you need the money for? Can you do without it just fine? If yes, then don’t worry about it. Just do a few CoF runs or something with friends/guildies until it stops being fun. Then go on your merry way. You’ll get the money you need eventually.

Wrenchy Mcboomboom
Engineer

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Because they are easy to please, you are not. Those player probably spend like 4-5 hours getting 2 exotic which could worth something like 1-5 gold only and they are happy.

You on the other hand probably grind those good farm spot and make like 20-30 gold in 4-5 hours and go all my god loot is crap.

expectation my friend is… different for everyone.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Its not hard to earn money, its just boring, same as everything else in this game.

Posted by: monepipi.5160

monepipi.5160

I did Melandru last night and got no drops. Did Melandru the night before and got no loot. Only loot I got was from the chests.

Did lyssa today and got no drops.

Neither case is the DR in effect because I ported into the area from another map to start the chain.

No point to these events if the only loot is from the chests. Too much time and I do not like the events. I don’t really care for any of the temple events really and only did them for the loot.

No point to running them at all now.

This is also one of the reasons I dislike RNG. I worked for something but not getting anything that I can use except vendor trash that only amounted to about 25 silver while others can pull a whole bunch of stuff and and make a gold. I put in just as much effort, sometimes more since I started the chain and many just show up for the last boss fight, and yet my reward is very much diminished and I haven’t even been in the area running other events. I find CoF runs more fun than these events and CoF is booring.

Sounds like the game you want to play is “Mindless Grind Simulator 1.0”. You know, sometimes people do events for the story (oh, yes), or for something different. I’ll much rather do a temple event than to run COF. I hate that place. I don’t need to have optimal gold rates in everything I do, because I play gw2 to enjoy it. Not as a job.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Its not hard to earn money, its just boring, same as everything else in this game.

Actually it’s boring for you. I’m quite entertained. This is the most entertaining MMO I’ve ever played. Still not sure why you don’t just go off and find something kitten ring. Presumably you’d have gotten your $60 worth by now.

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

Their called Anet Trolls. They stick around and post on the forums and say how good the games doing and how great the drops are and how good the kitten is but they are just talking kitten, they know everyone is pised off, they just don’t want everyone to leave so they didn’t waste all their money on gems so they can eventually turn it into gold and make a huge profit.
I would never buy gems from these idiots, I would much rather pay a modest sub fee and be able to run a hard dungeon and be rewarded for it, is that so hard to ask? God, ESO, where are you when we need you???

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Their called Anet Trolls. They stick around and post on the forums and say how good the games doing and how great the drops are and how good the kitten is but they are just talking kitten, they know everyone is pised off, they just don’t want everyone to leave so they didn’t waste all their money on gems so they can eventually turn it into gold and make a huge profit.
I would never buy gems from these idiots, I would much rather pay a modest sub fee and be able to run a hard dungeon and be rewarded for it, is that so hard to ask? God, ESO, where are you when we need you???

You just wait till ESO comes out. Just wait.

I predict you’ll be on their forums saying much the same stuff you say here. The grass is always greener on the other side…unless of course you’re color blind.

Posted by: Captain Bulldozer.9028

Captain Bulldozer.9028

In GW1, when a quest/mission rewarded an item, those were available for every single character you chose to play through them with. Plenty of people did a lot on alts because they wanted to continue to get the rewards. The new loot from living story is generally welcome, but why are we able to get one item per account?

I have 8 characters who need back-pieces, Anet, not one. Getting max stat gear shouldn’t be something you have to spend hours doing AFTER reaching max level, it should be given early on so that we can actually use it for challenging content.

Then we see closed down farms in a game already designed to have almost entirely crap rewards. Yeah, thanks for all the rare drops in meta events… except that other than maybe getting an ecto or a few silver from the TP, these are pretty much worthless. Why did dungeon chests drop max level golds in GW1 instead of mostly Purples with a small chance at something better? Anet, you and I both know its because doing so would chase people AWAY from doing it because of the poor reward per time investment. How can anyone think that getting lvl 78 exotics for completing level 80 zones is how it should be, or that getting a statistically inferior pact weapon for killing a world threat is how it should be?

GW1 had other ways of making money besides farming: running, running dungeons/missions, chest running, special quests with big rewards, being able to buy merchant items cheaper and then sell them if you alliance controlled places in Factions, and farming spots that could be reset at will if you found a way to speed things up and thereby increase your profits. Why, then, is the direction GW2 takes so lackluster and unrewarding in comparison?

A lot of the “drops defenders” who will undoubtedly post here insist on comparing loot in GW2 to other MMOs and noting that the grind is better, etc. Why not compare it to a game Anet already made, where we see GW2’s systems got worse?

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

Sounds like the game you want to play is “Mindless Grind Simulator 1.0”. You know, sometimes people do events for the story (oh, yes), or for something different. I’ll much rather do a temple event than to run COF. I hate that place. I don’t need to have optimal gold rates in everything I do, because I play gw2 to enjoy it. Not as a job.

No. You need to re-read and comprehend. Stating that I want to run “mindless grind simulator” is just being insulting.

Since you missed it, here it is again.

>>>I put in as much and more effort yet I only got chest loot while others got more.<<<

I’m not grinding, but I’d like to eventually make 1 legendary and that wont happen if I don’t get any drops.

I don’t do these temple events often, and others I may sometimes only hit them once per week. Dragons and a few others I’ll do frequently but I don’t bother with the pre events often. Not getting enough loot to bother. I’ll let someone else do it since they want to do them for fun.

1 time per week that is if I do hit them. The only reason I hit temples the last few days is because I’m off for the week and I have time to kill so I thought I’d revisit why I didn’t do them. Last time I did Orr temples before this last week was sometime last year. They are not very fun, that is why I don’t do them. I had hoped for some drops so that I could, oh gee maybe get some crafting(not a legendary goal for these runs,) but that won’t happen without drops.

That hardly constitutes a grind.

If I really wanted to play mindless grind, I would do these much more.

You should edit your post and reply with something sensible instead of insulting.

There is nothing wrong with wanting loot. There is nothing wrong with playing these events for loot.

I enjoy loot. That is why I play these events. Everyone likes something from games, I like to see stuff appear in my bag. There are other aspects of the game I’d rather do but I also would like to gain a legendary at some point, not never.

If you want to run events without getting loot, that is your perogative, but you don’t need to force any non loot events upon me and eventually, you won’t have enough people to run those events since they won’t be getting any rewards. Have fun trying to get one of those events done by yourself.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

(edited by CreativeAnarchy.6324)

AntiGw.9367

GW1 had other ways of making money besides farming: running, running dungeons/missions, chest running, special quests with big rewards, being able to buy merchant items cheaper and then sell them if you alliance controlled places in Factions, and farming spots that could be reset at will if you found a way to speed things up and thereby increase your profits. Why, then, is the direction GW2 takes so lackluster and unrewarding in comparison?

Why do you need to make money?

If you want items, GW2 already has tons of ways to get the best possible items. Fractals, guild missions, dungeons, soon WvW items, chest running, special quests with big rewards…

Posted by: Torque.2948

Torque.2948

I just want to know, what the proper way to play is? I do events and get karma, “junk” and very little drops. I really enjoy killing things to try to get exotics, but with DR you can’t. The only thing I do now is log in do the daily and a few dragons and log out. Nothing left for me to do unless I can kill monsters without DR affecting me. I don’t like fractals or dungeons for that matter. The events are definitely not rewarding enough for me to waste my time doing. Jump puzzles are OK, but still not rewarding enough for me to do over and over again. WvW is fun, but since seeing players walk thru walls and teleport the whole team, I am done with that too. I am just curious as to how we are suppose to play this game to appease the RNG and DR Gods? Just randomly go from zone to zone doing random events?

AntiGw.9367

I just want to know, what the proper way to play is? I do events and get karma, “junk” and very little drops. I really enjoy killing things to try to get exotics, but with DR you can’t. The only thing I do now is log in do the daily and a few dragons and log out. Nothing left for me to do unless I can kill monsters without DR affecting me. I don’t like fractals or dungeons for that matter. The events are definitely not rewarding enough for me to waste my time doing. Jump puzzles are OK, but still not rewarding enough for me to do over and over again. WvW is fun, but since seeing players walk thru walls and teleport the whole team, I am done with that too. I am just curious as to how we are suppose to play this game to appease the RNG and DR Gods? Just randomly go from zone to zone doing random events?

I’m sorry, but if you don’t like dungeons or events, you don’t like 90% of non-PvP GW2. And since you don’t even like WvW, and by the looks of it sPVP as well…

What are you doing here exactly? Farming was never a selling point of GW2.

Torque.2948

Killing monsters, again you can only enjoy the game if play the way the game wants you too. Thanks for validating my point. Some people like killing creatures for loot, I did in wow for crafting and epics. I also did it in Guild Wars along with chest runs on my warrior and I found that very fun. If you could please tell me what there selling point was, since you seem to know why and how they want you play the game.

AntiGw.9367

Killing monsters, again you can only enjoy the game if play the way the game wants you too. Thanks for validating my point. Some people like killing creatures for loot, I did in wow for crafting and epics. I also did it in Guild Wars along with chest runs on my warrior and I found that very fun. If you could please tell me what there selling point was, since you seem to know why and how they want you play the game.

What you describe is known as grinding.

One of the main GW2 selling points was that there would be no grinding requirement. As in, grinding won’t get you as much stuff as regular gameplay. Or as in, you can avoid grinding completely to fully enjoy the game.

If you want to kill creatures for loot, you can do events. Some of them have a nice chest at the end. Do you expect to just kill a bunch of boars and receive tons of loot for that? kitten that WoW nonsense.

You can grind if you like, just don’t expect it to be as rewarding as the other stuff. That’s a good game design.

Posted by: EXireXs.3602

EXireXs.3602

One of the main GW2 selling points was that there would be no grinding requirement. As in, grinding won’t get you as much stuff as regular gameplay. Or as in, you can avoid grinding completely to fully enjoy the game.

If you want to kill creatures for loot, you can do events. Some of them have a nice chest at the end. Do you expect to just kill a bunch of boars and receive tons of loot for that? kitten that WoW nonsense.

You can grind if you like, just don’t expect it to be as rewarding as the other stuff. That’s a good game design.

Oh why did they introduce legendary then, that requires 8 stacks of t6 Mats (can you get that from wvw or events easily?). Well grinding, which leads to getting legendary is enjoyable for me. if you want people to just do events that only gives rares, then where can we get the t6 mats from? or are you suggesting that the chest can give us a whole stack of t6?

Torque.2948

A good game design is forcing people to play the way you want them to. I know how this game is and its becoming more apparent with each patch. It will lose steam real fast forcing people to play a certain way. If legendaries go ascended then the game will be a gear grind and all that kitten will go out the window. Never mind you have to run fractals a lot to get ascended or grind the daily everyday to get ascended.

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

Indulge me.

What loot are you going for?

Armor:

Run dungeons for the tokens (not the loot drops) and use the tokens to buy armor that covers most (if not all) prefixes.

Do WvW for the badges for armor sets. This I know doesn’t cover all prefixes as there is no Magi (Healing Power, Precision, Vitality) armor that can be bought with badges.

Complete those temple events in Orr instead of farming the mobs. You will earn karma by completing them and the Karma vendors offer armor sets. Keep in mind that it will require you to go to different ones in order to get a set that covers the same prefix (buffs the same three stats). But they all share the same skins so they’re meant to be mixed and matched.

Weapons:

Dungeons and WvW, same as above.

Trinkets:

The ascended trinkets will cost you laurels. Sure there are the accessories that require ecto (which only requires 80 I think for the pair) but you can also get ascended accessories with just 5 gold and guild accommodations. I also heard that they are putting a vendor in WvW.

I’ve never done fractals so I don’t know what the deal is there.

EXireXs.3602

Indulge me.

Armor:

Run dungeons for the tokens (not the loot drops) and use the tokens to buy armor that covers most (if not all) prefixes.

Do WvW for the badges for armor sets. This I know doesn’t cover all prefixes as there is no Magi (Healing Power, Precision, Vitality) armor that can be bought with badges.

Complete those temple events in Orr instead of farming the mobs. You will earn karma by completing them and the Karma vendors offer armor sets. Keep in mind that it will require you to go to different ones in order to get a set that covers the same prefix (buffs the same three stats). But they all share the same skins so they’re meant to be mixed and matched.

Weapons:

Trinkets:

The ascended trinkets will cost you laurels. Sure there are the accessories that require ecto (which only requires 80 I think for the pair) but you can also get ascended accessories with just 5 gold and guild accommodations. I also heard that they are putting a vendor in WvW.

I’ve never done fractals so I don’t know what the deal is there.

Don’t forget T6 Guys ._.
where can you get t6 easily without farming???
please enlighten me

Deamhan.9538

Umm, the only one that requires mats are the ascended accessories and even then there is an alternate way of getting them that doesn’t require mats and once they put in the WvW vendor, that too should be yet another way that doesn’t involve materials.

EXireXs.3602

Umm, the only one that requires mats are the ascended accessories and even then there is an alternate way of getting them that doesn’t require mats and once they put in the WvW vendor, that too should be yet another way that doesn’t involve materials.

Oh Right!!!! but why does legendary require 8 stacks of t6???
i wonder how do people make gifts of magic and Might..

Captain Bulldozer.9028

I’m sorry, but if you don’t like dungeons or events, you don’t like 90% of non-PvP GW2. And since you don’t even like WvW, and by the looks of it sPVP as well…

What are you doing here exactly? Farming was never a selling point of GW2.

It sounds like your point is that, if we don’t like it we should just stop playing. Now, for the record, I have no problem with your view on that; I don’t think its a stupid suggestion or that you’re just trolling.

However, ask yourself this: are the people disagreeing talking to YOU or trying to tell Anet how they feel? Unless you’re some paid stooge for Anet, why do you feel compelled to defend them so much? Let them speak for themselves (or as is often the case, not at all). Here you see players trying to communicate with the designers about what they feel is wrong with their game… If you disagree with those views, say so to Anet, I’m sure they’ll want to hear your thoughts. But I’m pretty sure Anet doesn’t want to lose customers simply because you as a player think other people’s demands are extreme.

Posted by: Slyder.9215

Slyder.9215

Yeah, T6 Mats are the reason people farm in Orr.

The reason people farmed Grubs and Lyssa is to get Heavy Moldy Bags for T6 mats.
For what purpose, it depends on the person.

Wrenchy Mcboomboom
Engineer

Captain Bulldozer.9028

Armor:

-snip-

Weapons:

Trinkets:

What you’ve just described show one of the fundamental flaws in the design. To get the gear which is “best” (excluding legendaries of course) requires that you play/replay/grind through the content most of us see as “end game” stuff. (Even if you don’t see it that way, its hard to deny you’ve just listed virtually all the challenging content in the game, as well as the most replayable content.) So you do that stuff and you get your exotic stuff. THEN WHAT? You chase gear all the way to the end of the game, but once you have it, you don’t need it for anything! In addition, you’re describing significant work/grind for only a few options… as you point out, you can’t get the stats you may want and weapon wise, you’re limited to very few skins for any single weapon choice.

You also left out crafting, which is really a better way to get that gear, but for crafting the skin choices are generally not appealing to many people AND you still have to FARM/BUY mats to make them (which includes ECTOs… something you only get from the rare+ items that are hard to get). Thus, the only choices are really, 1) buying gems and getting what you want from the TP or 2) Farming for gold/mats or 3) Framing/Grinding for tokens and/or karma.

Since the game’s releases, we’ve seen significant nerfs to both the 2nd and 3rd approaches above, but not the first. What does that tell you?

Deamhan.9538

Legendary weapons are skins. They offer no stat benefit over exotic. They are something you save up for as you play when you already have full exotic and ascended gear.

Key phrase being “save up for as you play”. Not to be confused with playing for the sole purpose of acquiring as many of these mats as quickly as possible.

And if all you have left to do is save up the mats to get the skin, well then what happens once you have it? A few days of flaunting it and then you’ll be bored of the game with no more goals for you to strive for? Hence ANet wants it to take a lot of time to get’em so that it keeps people playing.

They are something that is suppose to take a long time to get. Obviously people were getting them too quickly (ANet under estimated just how much grinding some people do) and so they took action to make it take longer but only if you actually spend all your game time grinding for the mats. I have no issues with drop rates but at the same time I never grind the same event or same dungeon or same dozen or so mobs for hours.

I spend most of my time in WvW. I even do my dailies there. In fact, just by doing what I always do in WvW, I get my daily done and often the completion comes as a surprise since I’m not simply grinding out the daily. I’m doing what I always do in WvW and actually forget that there is even a daily for me to do.

I will say though that doing dailies on the pve side of things does require you to go out of your way to do it. This is because too often you have to go to specific maps to kill vets or do events there. So unless you are pve’ing there already, you’ll have to go out of your way to do it.

Oh and you get tokens and/or karma for completing the dailies/events/etc. I haven’t been around from the start but have they reduced the amount of tokens/karma you get for completion? If you keep doing events, is there a reduction on the amount of karma you’ll get? Doesn’t that mean if you do the same even or same series of events, you get 0 karma for completing it? I’ve yet to see a diminishing return on karma (in WvW pretty much everything you do will earn you karma and you are doing the same things over and over).

(edited by Deamhan.9538)

AntiGw.9367

A good game design is forcing people to play the way you want them to. I know how this game is and its becoming more apparent with each patch. It will lose steam real fast forcing people to play a certain way. If legendaries go ascended then the game will be a gear grind and all that kitten will go out the window. Never mind you have to run fractals a lot to get ascended or grind the daily everyday to get ascended.

The game actually gives you all those different ways to play, and yet people come here and insist that it should let them do that one thing it was never supposed to have.

EXireXs.3602

Legendary weapons are skins. They offer no stat benefit over exotic. They are something you save up for as you play when you already have full exotic and ascended gear.

Key phrase being “save up for as you play”. Not to be confused with playing for the sole purpose of acquiring as many of these mats as quickly as possible.

And if all you have left to do is save up the mats to get the skin, well then what happens once you have it? A few days of flaunting it and then you’ll be bored of the game with no more goals for you to strive for? Hence ANet wants it to take a lot of time to get’em so that it keeps people playing.

They are something that is suppose to take a long time to get. Obviously people were getting them too quickly (ANet under estimated just how much grinding some people do) and so they took action to make it take longer but only if you actually spend all your game time grinding for the mats. I have no issues with drop rates but at the same time I never grind the same event or same dungeon or same dozen or so mobs for hours.

I spend most of my time in WvW. I even do my dailies there. In fact, just by doing what I always do in WvW, I get my daily done and often the completion comes as a surprise since I’m not simply grinding out the daily. I’m doing what I always do in WvW and actually forget that there is even a daily for me to do.

I will say though that doing dailies on the pve side of things does require you to go out of your way to do it. This is because too often you have to go to specific maps to kill vets or do events there. So unless you are pve’ing there already, you’ll have to go out of your way to do it.

Oh and you get tokens and/or karma for completing the dailies/events/etc. I haven’t been around from the start but have they reduced the amount of tokens/karma you get for completion? If you keep doing events, is there a reduction on the amount of karma you’ll get? Doesn’t that mean if you do the same even or same series of events, you get 0 karma for completing it? I’ve yet to see a diminishing return on karma (in WvW pretty much everything you do will earn you karma and you are doing the same things over and over).

Oh so i will get bored after i got my first legendary?
Wonder why theres “Eternity”
Wonder why im still farming to get my second legendary
Wonder why theres an achievement to get 5 legendary
Wonder why people still farm after doing events

Deamhan.9538

Let me elaborate a bit more.

Let’s say that if you simply do events, do jump puzzles, do some WvW, run some dungeons, etc. but at no time do you speed run the same dungeon over and over, farm endless spawning mobs for hours straight, etc., it takes 8 months of just holding onto the materials that you were getting simply by playing all the game had to offer (“save up as you play”).

Now let’s say that by doing those speed runs and/or grinding those endlessly spawning mobs allowed you to acquire the mats in 4 months.

ANet steps in and makes it so that if you do what’s required to get the mats in 4 months, it will now take you twice as long. So it’ll take you 8 months.

I say, welcome to how long it’s suppose to take.

They are not stopping you from farming as a way of play. They are changing the reward system so that you don’t get to the same goal in half the time. This game is about how you want to play and no single way will get you there, but each different way should take just as long as any other.

Captain Bulldozer.9028

That’s false. Currently, that stats of Ascended and Legendary weapons are 175% of those of basic (white) weapons. Exotics are 165%, rares are 145%, greens are 135%, blues are 125%. So, as you can see, rarity makes a very real difference in effectiveness of the weapon. This makes legendaries and all the rest more than simply “skins”. If it were as you say, I would have no problem with that at all. (It was that way in GW1 for example)

Right. Grind to keep playing, but have nothing to do when you get the thing you were grinding for. That’s bad design.

Some agree and some disagree with this. For myself, I find its usually easy enough to do 3 or 4 of the 5 daily requirement without playing unusually.

You get LAURELS, (not tokens) and jugs of karma for doing dailies. Those two currencies are radically different… laurels are needed for highly desired objects, whereas karma is readily available and currently has little of worth to spend it on.

Mirta.5029

That’s false. Currently, that stats of Ascended and Legendary weapons are 175% of those of basic (white) weapons. Exotics are 165%, rares are 145%, greens are 135%, blues are 125%. So, as you can see, rarity makes a very real difference in effectiveness of the weapon. This makes legendaries and all the rest more than simply “skins”. If it were as you say, I would have no problem with that at all. (It was that way in GW1 for example)

False. Currently stats on a legendary are exactly the same as exotic stats. Ask someone to link you a legendary weapon and compare. Or even better preview off the TP. Legendaries will only jump in stats when Ascended weapons will be released. Currently there’s no, so for weapons the highest stated weapon is still an exotic.

Right. Grind to keep playing, but have nothing to do when you get the thing you were grinding for. That’s bad design.

That’s exactly the same in every MMO. When you end up doing everything the game has to offer you either do it all over again because you like it, or you put your game away.

laokoko.7403

ANet steps in and makes it so that if you do what’s required to get the mats in 4 months, it will now take you twice as long. So it’ll take you 8 months.

I think the problem is the difference is a lot larger than what you think.

If I play whatever I want. It probably take me 5-10 times longer to get a legendary. It probably take even longer for those other people who just wvw.

Some activity in this game simply give far less reward compare to other activity.

Captain Bulldozer.9028

False. Currently stats on a legendary are exactly the same as exotic stats. Ask someone to link you a legendary weapon and compare. Or even better preview off the TP. Legendaries will only jump in stats when Ascended weapons will be released. Currently there’s no, so for weapons the highest stated weapon is still an exotic.

Right you are. It seems they’ve been slow to update the official wiki. However, my point wasn’t merely that legendaries are not only skins. Gear rarity is still important all the way up to exotics, yet exotics drop only VERY rarely (to the point if being absurd really).

That’s exactly the same in every MMO. When you end up doing everything the game has to offer you either do it all over again because you like it, or you put your game away.

You missed the point. Obviously every game will run its course eventually. The problem is that the end term goals here are about GEAR… and once you’ve got it there’s nothing left to do with it. Not all other games are like that. And again, there’s not nearly as much reason to compare to ALL other games as there is to compare to Guild Wars 1 (this is supposed to be a sequel after all, or so the name says), and in GW1 you could get an equip max stat gear at level 1 if you were creative. The systems in GW2 are a step in the wrong direction as far as I’m concerned. Saying “its just like most of the other bad/mediocre games out there, so why are you complaining?” is a really shallow argument.

Deamhan.9538

Just went online and checked.

Eternity

Dmg = 995-1100
179 Power
128 Toughness
128 Vitaltiy

Sentinel Greatsword (exotic)

Dmg = 995-1100
128 Power
128 Toughness
179 Vitality

The only difference there is with which stat is primary. For eternity Power is the primary stat while for the prefix Sentinel Vitality is the primary stat.

Hence why when people were getting these quicker than intended, they had to change it. This is also subjective. I do WvW which, just how with many FPS games where you do the exact same thing on the exact same maps, never seems to get old. I mean, pve side I will fall asleep at the keyboard sometimes. A completely scripted game that is also a static game world is a poor design. Which is why I can’t wait for WoD Online which should be very sand box oriented. Content never really gets boring when the player base both makes and makes up a lot of the content.

You get LAURELS, (not tokens) and jugs of karma for doing dailies. Those two currencies are radically different… laurels are needed for highly desired objects, whereas karma is readily available and currently has little of worth to spend it on.

A laurel is one kind of token (token is broad term while laurel is specific). There are also the dungeon tokens (again broad term).

laokoko.7403

I think the problem is this game is designed to be very casual so most content can be blew pass easily that there beome very little thing to do. I remember seeing youtube making fun of GW2 and say what people do after they get lvl80. Well, they make an alt and do it again because there just so little to do after you get to 80. And the truth is I do infact see far more people with alt in this game compare to other game.

And grinding in other game actually have a purpose, it drop gear. And the gear is used to unlock higher level content. In this game there is very little grind you need to unlock content.

Mirta.5029

Right you are. It seems they’ve been slow to update the official wiki. However, my point wasn’t merely that legendaries are not only skins. Gear rarity is still important all the way up to exotics, yet exotics drop only VERY rarely (to the point if being absurd really).

Yet you can acquire them very easily. For those with money – they can always buy a full set right after reaching level 80, for those without – you can get karma gear with dungeon weapons, or if you feel not lazy – dungeon gear with dungeon weapons. If you’re running enough of dungeons to afford a full dungeon gear then likely you’ll be able to buy exotic weapons half way trough getting dungeon gear.

You missed the point. Obviously every game will run its course eventually. The problem is that the end term goals here are about GEAR… and once you’ve got it there’s nothing left to do with it. Not all other games are like that. And again, there’s not nearly as much reason to compare to ALL other games as there is to compare to Guild Wars 1 (this is supposed to be a sequel after all, or so the name says), and in GW1 you could get an equip max stat gear at level 1 if you were creative. The systems in GW2 are a step in the wrong direction as far as I’m concerned. Saying “its just like most of the other bad/mediocre games out there, so why are you complaining?” is a really shallow argument.

So you’re saying that that hard to get 15K armor in vanilla GW1 was really easy to get? That’s not what I heard at all.
End game goal is what any player makes of it. For some it will be completing the personal story, getting all achievements, exploring the full world, etc. For others it will be getting a legendary weapon. Either way when a person will achieve their own personal goal they will be able to chose between doing it all over again or putting the game away.

I think the problem is this game is designed to be very casual so most content can be blew pass easily that there beome very little thing to do. I remember seeing youtube making fun of GW2 and say what people do after they get lvl80. Well, they make an alt and do it again because there just so little to do after you get to 80. And the truth is I do infact see far more people with alt in this game compare to other game.

And grinding in other game actually have a purpose, it drop gear. And the gear is used to unlock higher level content. In this game there is very little grind you need to unlock content.

the thing is if there was a grind for gear half of the players of GW2 wouldn’t be here. WoW has left a bad taste in my mouth with its gear progression, so I don’t think that every MMO should follow its example.