[Survey] Are you a PvE or PvP player?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheKillerAngel.3596

TheKillerAngel.3596

You asking this in the general forums which is almost exclusively PvE talk. If you asked this in the WvW forums and SPvP forums, you would clearly get opposite results. This is definitely biased.

You could do me a favor by posting it there. Also, this survey is on reddit on gw2g.

Think stacking and skipping trash is cheap?
Read: Playing to Win.
Guide: How to play a Mesmer in dungeons.

Posted by: Banzai.5681

Banzai.5681

I don’t prefer one over the other and enjoy both at the whim of my fancy. Its a thing of mood for me really. I think perhaps there are more like me as well out there. I don’t think playing the game for whatever reason, needs to be polarized in to PvE/PvP exclusively. Granted, there are those who do enjoy only 1/2 an aspect of the game. Why enjoy only 1/2 a game though when you can enjoy all of it? To each his own I suppose.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I haven’t read this thread’s comments, so I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but I would expect that a thread placed in this form would have significantly more pve’ers respond than pvp’ers. Yes pvp’ers read this forum, but those who exclusively or primarily pvp are probably less likely, imo, to read this forum than those who primarily pve.

It would be interesting to see what a similar poll placed in the WvW forum would have in terms of results. But I’m too lazy to do that. lol

It’s in the “Guild Wars 2 Discussion” forum. That’s as generalized and unbiased as it’s going to get. Putting it in the WvW forum ensures that respondents already have an interest in PvP. Placing it here ensure respondents have an interest in Guild Wars 2.

(edited by Blacklight.2871)

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Fortunately for me I don’t care if people take my posts seriously. This is just a gaming forum.

LOL—best post I have seen in quite a while!!! Thanks for making me laugh.

TheKillerAngel.3596

I haven’t read this thread’s comments, so I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but I would expect that a thread placed in this form would have significantly more pve’ers respond than pvp’ers. Yes pvp’ers read this forum, but those who exclusively or primarily pvp are probably less likely, imo, to read this forum than those who primarily pve.

It would be interesting to see what a similar poll placed in the WvW forum would have in terms of results. But I’m too lazy to do that. lol

It’s in the “Guild Wars 2 Discussion” forum. That’s as generalized and unbiased as it’s going to get. Putting it in the WvW forum ensures that respondents already have an interest in PvP. Placing it here ensure respondents have an interest in Guild Wars 2.

That’s a very good way of putting it. Perhaps PvE discussion dominates here simply because more players are involved in PvE (as the data would show)?

Posted by: Dragon Relic.8216

Dragon Relic.8216

My guild and I try and do a balance of PvE (Dungeons, Map completion, Fractals) and we do our share of PvP (sPvP, tPvP and WvW). So I tend to organize groups to touch base with every aspect of the PvE and PvP realm.

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

You are silly. WvW is PvE.

SPvP needs moar modes. It has been noted.

PvP stands for Player vs. Player. I go to WvW to kill other players. I am also a player. Therefore, WvW is PvP – claim rendered invalid.

No. You go to WvW to take camps and towers to help your world. And NPC’s guard those camps and towers, not players. It is more beneficial to kill NPC’s in WvW than it is to kill other players. Therefore, WvW is PvE.

He goes to WvW to kill other players, same reason I do. We are PvPing when we do that.

Also, without enemy players the WvW aspect of the game wouldn’t even exist. By it’s very nature, it is a form of PvP.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’m definitely a PvE player. I’ve dabbled in PvP, but mostly I play this game to relax and I find PvP in general more intense than I’d like, so yeah. PvE.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

PvP stands for Player vs. Player. I go to WvW to kill other players. I am also a player. Therefore, WvW is PvP – claim rendered invalid.

No. You go to WvW to take camps and towers to help your world. And NPC’s guard those camps and towers, not players. It is more beneficial to kill NPC’s in WvW than it is to kill other players. Therefore, WvW is PvE.

He goes to WvW to kill other players, same reason I do. We are PvPing when we do that.

Also, without enemy players the WvW aspect of the game wouldn’t even exist. By it’s very nature, it is a form of PvP.

You’re both wrong. It is neither just PVE or PVP. But both. It is a hybrid.

Posted by: Weebitt.3157

Weebitt.3157

I put on PvE that I do all 3 equally, but I’ve only done 3 dungeons and so really I only wanted to answer that I did exploration and open world equally.

As far as PvP I skipped it; though on rare occasions I try WvW, but that’s about it.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

PvE primarily here. Nice survey and interesting results…

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Soulweaver.2190

Soulweaver.2190

Took part in the survey already but might as well respond here.

I’m very much a PvE player, only going to WvW for the monthlies for the 50 kills when applicable and to the Heart of the Mists only to walk through to the LA portal. In PvE, I go for both exploration and dynamic events; as for dungeons, I’ve only done five story modes (Arah with a PUG, and the first four in a 4-man group with my friends).

My lack of PvP interest is partially because I feel I’m not that good a player and partially because I don’t like losing to other players (which happens a lot because of the first point :p). That of course inevitably leads to that I’ll actively seek a zerg whenever I participate in WvW because that way I have at least some safety. Sometimes, like the last week’s match with Gunnar’s Hold steamrolling the whole week, I won’t even bother to try.

[FR] Furious Rising, Ring of Fire; Soul Weaver (N/Ranger/80), Kuang Steak (C/War/80),
Zephyrweaver (H/Ele/80), Dusk Weaver (A/Thief/80), Soulweaver (S/Mes),
Svàlinn (C/Guard), Exxíon (A/Engi/80), Spectrallum (S/Necro)

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

And still PvP players complain the most and cause changes for all PvE players.

I can see where you’re coming from if you have experience with other mmo’s where this is indeed very often the case.
But in GW2 there’s a tech in place where they can make changes only for PvP or only for PvE without affecting the other (some skills already have slightly different version in sPvP than in PvE and this was also already the case in GW1).
Recently in a dev post where they also talked about balance they did however state that they like to keep them the same where possible so a class doesn’t play completely differently in PvP than in PvE so players can switch between different gaming modes and still play in the way they’re familiar to.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

wait, im confused. So is WvW considered pvp? :|

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Soulweaver.2190

Soulweaver.2190

wait, im confused. So is WvW considered pvp? :|

Some think so, some don’t. I strongly believe it is PvP as it’s players you fight against 95% of the time. As for the survey, it is one of the options in the third PvP related question.

[FR] Furious Rising, Ring of Fire; Soul Weaver (N/Ranger/80), Kuang Steak (C/War/80),
Zephyrweaver (H/Ele/80), Dusk Weaver (A/Thief/80), Soulweaver (S/Mes),
Svàlinn (C/Guard), Exxíon (A/Engi/80), Spectrallum (S/Necro)

Posted by: Lady Vireo.5189

Lady Vireo.5189

Nice survey, Killer Angel. This looks like it can be really helpful to the community. Thanks for taking the time to set it up and share the results with us.

I added my answers to the mix. In light of the results showing PvE is very popular, maybe people will believe me when I say WvW should be removed from the open world exploration title… :P

But regardless of my personal opinion, great idea, thanks!

A Dev has spoken:Cantha is definitely not cut from the game
Show your support for Cantha’s return in GW2! Please join us in the Cantha Thread.
Many thanks to Wooden Potatoes for his outstanding lore video, a real tribute to Cantha.

Posted by: Akumu.7238

Akumu.7238

PvE is probably going to continue being higher. Most of the dedicated PvP players have sadly went to other games. My guild alone Had 5/6 guilds filled under one banner. Now only a small fraction of 1 remains. Some went to WoW after so many failed games, some spread to various others, while the rest are on a break from MMOs.
Even my once hardcore PvP community started doing PvE(the ones that remain here).

I have watched countless big PvP focused guilds fall apart as the months went on. Anet
pretends that “their numbers” are great but that’s to try and not spread doom and gloom. From NA to the EU servers, the situation is the same. GW2 offers more frustration to the PvP community and is very shallow despite its potential.

I don’t wanna live a thousand years. If I just live through today, that’ll be enough.

(edited by Akumu.7238)

Posted by: Saziel.3897

Saziel.3897

PvE. There just isn’t enough of a reward in PvP for me.

I’ve been told the “fun” is the reward. Well, without some kind of gear advancement or some way of making my character stronger, there is no fun in it for me. So I stick to PvE.

Posted by: Guessman.4172

Guessman.4172

Im a pvp person (WvWvW) but forced to do some pve to get the gear I need for my different chars since you can’t get it on any other way.

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

I do both. I like the open world but I take WvWvW breaks. sPvP get’s old really fast.

I’m in the “WvWvW is a PvP map” camp. Why? The only thing that makes those maps relevant is the server vs server aspect. Apart from map completion, the overwhelming majority of activities concern defending whats yours or taking whats theirs. Many of the NPCs serve a PvP purpose. Take those elements away, and you’ll have small insular maps that offer little diversity and a fraction of the PvE experience of the Tyrian map.

Whispers with meat.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

You’re both wrong. It is neither just PVE or PVP. But both. It is a hybrid.

That’s what ANet wants you to believe. However, if you’re there by choice, meaning not specifically to complete the maps or for your monthly, you’re their because you want to play the game while killing, or being under the threat of being killed by, other players. There are far more varied and interesting zones out there than what they Mists provides. If it wasn’t only about PvP, you wouldn’t even be there.

Calling it a hybrid is a weak facade, which lets ANet push, coax or, in my case, coerce, non-PvPers or more casual players, into a PvP environment. Throw whatever deceptive adjective at it that you want, it’s still PvP. No amount of wandering moas, ore nodes or dumb as a post NPCs, is going to change the fact that WvW is there to allow players to compete directly against players. If it weren’t, it would be like the rest of the game: cooperative PvE.

TheKillerAngel.3596

If any of you have played Aion before, the notion of a hybridized PvP/PvE environment isn’t totally new. In many ways WvW reminds me of Abyss combat from Aion.

Anyway, this will be the last update on the results for now, with about 1000 respondents. The next survey I will post will be on PvE/PvP content enjoyment and I will try to hold the responses back until a week or so passes.

http://kwiksurveys.com/tmp_pdf/report-5CE6082C5E79428395C58B177D966BF7.pdf