Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Forum Bug is Buggy.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Suspended for AFK farming

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Shikigami.4013

Shikigami.4013

Furthermore, the question is completely pointless to begin with. It seems like you (mauried) want to suggest that if a game company is unable to completely stop bots, players should just stop caring about it, accept the bots, and mind their own business.

Like Cyninja already remarked, you reduce the actual situation into a hypothetical “black or white” situation and then ask a question which (even when answered truthfully) produces an irrelevant result.

In the same way you are arguing here, you could tell people that they should not complain about criminals, because they have always existed and no city will ever manage to get rid of them 100%. Ask someone moving to a city if he has inquired if there are any criminals in the city, and if they haven’t, claim they have no right to complain (or care) if they are robbed. This scenario is about as realistic as what you are obviously trying to express with your post.

Youtube “L2villagejester”.
People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

Posted by: SkullProX.7083

SkullProX.7083

AFK farmers should be all banned…. like seriously idk why does anet let this go…

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

“it’s best to be careful while AFKing”

There’s no need to be careful. The criteria between game mechanics and automation are very clear and we can easily tell the difference.

Ouch! Turn down for what?

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

AFK farmers should be all banned…. like seriously idk why does anet let this go…

Perhaps because Guild Wars has a tradition of afk play? Three titles were awarded for 1000’s of afk hours of game play. Lucky, Unlucky and Legendary Defender of Ascalon. The only way (LDoA was gutted in later years) these titles could be earned was through being afk. To earn my first LDoA I was afk for 2.5 months.

I bring this up because there are always different views of every situation. Yes, the titles were a different game, yes afk players cause havoc with events. But the game was advertised as “play your game your way”.

I discovered it when I was called away from the computer for a much longer time period than I originally thought. Came back and found I was still alive and had a full inventory. I stayed alive with only the gear and skills Anet supplied. I came to the forums to see if others had discovered what I had and find an angry nest.

I’ll hazard a guess many people who are against afk farming hold that opinion because they don’t like it and think it’s wrong. Opinions aren’t facts. Besides opinions, I too think Anet needs to make definitive statement. So far there’s been 4 or 5 Anet posts each contradicting or obfuscating previous comments. People (myself included) hang their hat on one or the other comment feeling justified in their view. My view is afk isn’t kissing my sister or kicking Granny; it’s one of the 8 windows I have open when I’m on the computer.

Not wanting to be banned I’m not doing it until Anet clarifies, which probably means never because they don’t want to be seen condoning it.

penelopehannibal.8947

I’ll hazard a guess many people who are against afk farming hold that opinion because they don’t like it and think it’s wrong. Opinions aren’t facts.

They are facts because AFK farming is against ToS under automated play, which is what we’ve been saying all along.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not sure it would/should be considered ‘automated’ play, but it is certainly ‘extended unattended’ play, which, I believe is against the ToS.

penelopehannibal.8947

Potato, tomato!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

They don’t need to prove it. They only need to determine it. ArenaNet’s game, ArenaNet’s decision, whether it’s based off proof or judgement.

^^^This

OP even went as far as saying “I was AFK farming” which is unattended play.

/next

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Zet.9130

They are facts because AFK farming is against ToS under automated play, which is what we’ve been saying all along.

///////////

Spent some time reading the EULA and The Rules of Conduct, there is no reference to “unattended play” there were references to “automate gameplay” and “automation software”

EULA section 8 line c states players can not use “bots”.

Rules of Conduct rule 20 states players may not use a third-party program in order to automate gameplay.

There is nothing forbidding a player playing Guild Wars 2 and being away from the keyboard. I play the game with the skills and gear the game provided. I don’t think I’ve broken any rule. Anet can change that or interpret the rules with a broad brush, that’s in the Rules of Conduct also.

I’m glad I spent time chasing this down I had this dread that I was a rule breaker. I usually walk a straight line. I’ll also put the links to the EULA and Rules of Conduct. I might have missed something. We’ll see if Anet makes a statement of policy – I hope so.
//
//
//

8. PROHIBITED AND IRREPARABLY HARMFUL ACTIVITIES CONCERNING ArenaNet

c. Use, or provide others with, any software related to the Game, including any automation software (a.k.a. “bot”) or software designed to change or modify operation of the Game;

Guild Wars 2 Rules of Conduct
20. You may not use any third-party program (such as a “bot”) in order to automate gameplay functions, including playing, chatting, interacting, or gathering gold or items within Guild Wars 2. You may not assist, relay, or store gold or items for other players who are using these processes.
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-user-agreement/
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct/

(edited by Zet.9130)

Posted by: Shikigami.4013

Shikigami.4013

You missed the other huge post on this topic, where they already did make the clear statement. AFK farming is forbidden and will get you suspended if you set your character up specifically to farm, which means putting a skill on autocast, position yourself where you benefit from it and go afk.

You cannot “play Guild Wars2 and be away from the keyboard”. If you are not at your PC, you are not playing the game, the game plays itself. This is not my opinion, it is the ArenaNet policy. Any action your character takes while you are afk means it is automated and against the rules. A bot/third party software is not needed for the term “automated” to apply, putting a skill on autocast is enough and it does not matter at all that putting a skill on autocast is a mechanic provided by the game itself.

The post by Chris Cleary (game security lead) from 4 days ago is here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Please-a-clear-statement-re-AFK-farming/6161450

Youtube “L2villagejester”.
People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

Zet.9130

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Please-a-clear-statement-re-AFK-farming/6161450

Wow, I did miss that. It’ll be interesting to see how they fix it. Rather unfair to suspend people on the weight of a forum comment. I’ll continue not afk farming and watch from the sidelines. Although I was safe, I was only 2/3ths in the wrong.

Funny thing is that as I write this I’m afk crafting.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

///////////

Spent some time reading the EULA and The Rules of Conduct, there is no reference to “unattended play” there were references to “automate gameplay” and “automation software”

Rules of Conduct rule 20 states players may not use a third-party program in order to automate gameplay.

There is nothing forbidding a player playing Guild Wars 2 and being away from the keyboard. I play the game with the skills and gear the game provided. I don’t think I’ve broken any rule. Anet can change that or interpret the rules with a broad brush, that’s in the Rules of Conduct also.

I’m glad I spent time chasing this down I had this dread that I was a rule breaker. I usually walk a straight line. I’ll also put the links to the EULA and Rules of Conduct. I might have missed something. We’ll see if Anet makes a statement of policy – I hope so.
//
//
//

c. Use, or provide others with, any software related to the Game, including any automation software (a.k.a. “bot”) or software designed to change or modify operation of the Game;

20. You may not use any third-party program (such as a “bot”) in order to automate gameplay functions, including playing, chatting, interacting, or gathering gold or items within Guild Wars 2. You may not assist, relay, or store gold or items for other players who are using these processes.

And yet, ‘extended unattended gameplay’ is stated on the error message that appears when trying to log into an account that has been suspended or terminated for such a reason (Screenshot easily found with Google search, and, if I’m not mistaken, posted earlier in this thread). Said message refers the account holder to the UA and ToS.

I guess one could argue with the legal team that created the documents, but as ArenaNet can really action accounts in a manner that they see fit, I doubt it would get one far.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

///////////

//
//
//

It’s possible that it’s an interpretation of this rule:

17. You will not exploit any bug in Guild Wars 2 and you will not communicate the existence of any such exploitable bug (bugs that grant the user unnatural or unintended benefits) either directly or through public posting, to any other user of Guild Wars 2.

Where the auto loot keeping the person in game past where the kick timer would normally DC you could be considered a bug and being able to stay online for hours while not actively playing and receive loot because of this bug would be the “unnatural or unintended benefits.”

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: sirsquishy.2619

sirsquishy.2619

You missed the other huge post on this topic, where they already did make the clear statement. AFK farming is forbidden and will get you suspended if you set your character up specifically to farm, which means putting a skill on autocast, position yourself where you benefit from it and go afk.

You cannot “play Guild Wars2 and be away from the keyboard”. If you are not at your PC, you are not playing the game, the game plays itself. This is not my opinion, it is the ArenaNet policy. Any action your character takes while you are afk means it is automated and against the rules. A bot/third party software is not needed for the term “automated” to apply, putting a skill on autocast is enough and it does not matter at all that putting a skill on autocast is a mechanic provided by the game itself.

I kinda wonder if the auto cast is what they are flagging on now. I have had a few private conversations about this with GMs and they are STILL not being clear about it.

One question I asked them ‘If I have my character standing idle in a spot that spawns mobs and I have my characters pet on defend and I go away for an unspecified time, what is that considered as far as terms as ’AFK farming’ . And, the response I got back ‘As long as your character is idle (no movement, no skills being activated), you get reported by a player, and you do not respond to a GM then you are considered AFK.’

They would not touch on the term ‘AFK farming’ in that situation. Nor would they respond to my ‘actionable behavior’ question.

So while they ‘may have’ had a meeting with GM’s, the CSR GMs (those are the ones that respond to our Tickets via Email) are still giving me the same run around as before that ‘meeting’.

So in short, do not AFK near Mobs unless you want suspensions. Skills automated or not, Pets active or not. Its just not safe.

There are 0 rules about not being afk in GW2 as a whole, but gaining rewards while AFK is governed under the ‘Botting’ Rules, EVEN if you are using the in game systems to achieve this. You do NOT need to use a 3rd party/External program to get your account sanctioned against.

And Anet needs to fix this so its not a problem with in the game. As far as I am concerned the game is broken with auto-loot resetting AFK timers, Pets getting rangers/necros rewards with out the player being active, and there are no in game warnings about this when you activate said systems as a player. That is the state this whole situation is in.

Zet.9130

I’m not 100% sure of this, in fact about 60% sure. I think that they will find that the autoloot has nothing to do with the kick timer. I suspect it is how pet/minion damage is reported ingame. It gives the player credit for the damage. That damage report keeps the player in the game. Could be way wrong – and the reason ppl didnt afk farm prior was there was no benefit.

(edited by Zet.9130)

sirsquishy.2619

I’m not 100% sure of this, in fact about 60% sure. I think that they will find that the autoloot has nothing to do with the kick timer. I suspect it is how pet/minion damage is reported ingame. It gives the player credit for the damage. That damage report keeps the player in the game. Could be way wrong – and the reason ppl didnt afk farm was there was no benefit.

no, I have tested this.

AFK in a city with auto heal = 60min time out, kick to character select
AFK at a mob Camp, Pet attacking with auto-loot, no Auto heal = No kick
AFK at a mob Camp, Pet attacking, No auto-loot, No Auto heal = Kick after 60mins~ back to character select
AFK at Mob Camp, Pet attacking, no auto-loot, Auto Heal = Kick after 60mins….ect

so it is 100% the auto-loot.

penelopehannibal.8947

So in short, do not AFK near Mobs unless you want suspensions. Skills automated or not, Pets active or not. Its just not safe.

This is not true – go AFK wherever you are, if you need to go AFK. If you’re genuinely going AFK, they won’t take action.

If you’re going to go AFK with AFK farming in mind, then you will get a suspension. If you’re genuinely AFK, you’ll probably be dead, or probably not in an AFK hot spot, or not with the exact same build as an AFK farmer next to you, or not near a load of mobs that drop sacks that might give linen. There’s so much criteria that the chances of someone innocently being AFK then suspended is negligible.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

sirsquishy.2619

This is not true – go AFK wherever you are, if you need to go AFK. If you’re genuinely going AFK, they won’t take action.

If you’re going to go AFK with AFK farming in mind, then you will get a suspension. If you’re genuinely AFK, you’ll probably be dead, or probably not in an AFK hot spot, or not with the exact same build as an AFK farmer next to you, or not near a load of mobs that drop sacks that might give linen. There’s so much criteria that the chances of someone innocently being AFK then suspended is negligible.

It’s going to be true until the GMs are all on the same page. Please re-read the rest of the post that you quoted.

Zet.9130

I’m not 100% sure of this, in fact about 60% sure. I think that they will find that the autoloot has nothing to do with the kick timer. I suspect it is how pet/minion damage is reported ingame. It gives the player credit for the damage. That damage report keeps the player in the game. Could be way wrong – and the reason ppl didnt afk farm was there was no benefit.

no, I have tested this.

AFK in a city with auto heal = 60min time out, kick to character select
AFK at a mob Camp, Pet attacking with auto-loot, no Auto heal = No kick
AFK at a mob Camp, Pet attacking, No auto-loot, No Auto heal = Kick after 60mins~ back to character select
AFK at Mob Camp, Pet attacking, no auto-loot, Auto Heal = Kick after 60mins….ect

so it is 100% the auto-loot.

Reminds me of and old programmers joke “No that’s not a bug that’s a feature”

penelopehannibal.8947

It’s going to be true until the GMs are all on the same page. Please re-read the rest of the post that you quoted.

I read (and re-read) your entire post and my message still stands. Someone genuinely AFK won’t get suspended.

The only reason why you think it’s complicated is because some people (perhaps yourself too) are still asking for a scientific definition, and about 500 ‘what ifs’, making it a more complicated issue than it really has to be.

It’s simple: Don’t AFK Farm. Go AFK if you need to.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I read most of this thread and its pretty scary thing that this bug with autoloot mastery exists. I know the afk kick timer works fine otherwise as it will kick you for even less than 60 minutes when us RPers are just standing in a bar and typing away and not moving.

Anyways to the farming issue: I Think I know the area that is farmed where this is happening though as I actively farm there (not afk) on my Elementalist. Its is the Evisomancer’s Resort in Mount Maelstrom. I use my burning build and just kill everything, going from spawned group to spawned group.

An elementalist can’t afk farm anyways, but I do see necros farm it occasionally. I farmed on my mm necro too there, but I always moved to where each nightmare court group respawned, as its just no point to just afk as that takes more time than moving to each group as the group you killed will be back by the time you killed the other.

I suspect that area will be changed as stop gap measure until the bug is fixed or a clear answer on what we can or can’t do in game happens. I know for sure I’m not wrong farming there as I am always moving on any character I use and leave when bored of it.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

They should implement an AFK flag, like how most MMOs do it. If you haven’t had any physical (keyboard/mouse) input within the last few minutes, an AFK icon should be displayed next to your name and any contribution you do should be ignored, meaning no loot. They should also use this when factoring scaling, though it could be exploited much like the old system.

Posted by: MissSinfully.2478

MissSinfully.2478

I can verify personally that a ranger can AFK with just a pet, and not have Pact Commander completed and stay on for an indeterminate amount of time. I sat and watched my Ranger on another account with a freshly bought HOT, no auto-loot, stay on so long as mobs hit her and her pet could kill them.

She only logged off when there was a gap of time where mobs did not hit her. The auto-loot is not the main underlying cause. It could be damage in general. Furthermore, your pet’s damage in “Combat” system messages reads as such:

“You hit (x mob) for 240 using [Bleeding]”
“You heal (x pet) for 94 using [Natural Healing]”
“You critically hit (x mob) for 460 using [Maul]”

The cause of the AFK timer is not Auto-Loot, it’s skills via minions/pets. Pet damage is not showing as “Jungle Stalker critically hit (x mob) for 460 using [Maul].”

Edit: Both could be causes, but it is far more likely that the main cause of AFK timer disruption is skills, not Auto-Loot.

MissSinfully
Sonyanna
Dragonhunter

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I can verify personally that a ranger can AFK with just a pet, and not have Pact Commander completed and stay on for an indeterminate amount of time. I sat and watched my Ranger on another account with a freshly bought HOT, no auto-loot, stay on so long as mobs hit her and her pet could kill them.

She only logged off when there was a gap of time where mobs did not hit her. The auto-loot is not the main underlying cause. It could be damage in general. Furthermore, your pet’s damage in “Combat” system messages reads as such:

“You hit (x mob) for 240 using [Bleeding]”
“You heal (x pet) for 94 using [Natural Healing]”
“You critically hit (x mob) for 460 using [Maul]”

The cause of the AFK timer is not Auto-Loot, it’s skills via minions/pets. Pet damage is not showing as “Jungle Stalker critically hit (x mob) for 460 using [Maul].”

Edit: Both could be causes, but it is far more likely that the main cause of AFK timer disruption is skills, not Auto-Loot.

Was the gap 1 hour long? If not, it could still be a normal “no activity” tag out, or at least not linked to pet damage either.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

MissSinfully.2478

I’m saying she stayed online using no skills, only pet skills for far longer than an hour. I occupied myself with anime.

She timed out only for mob-breaks (usually in which she accidentally moved down the tunnel out of range) in which the afk-timer worked exactly as it should, which I guess I didn’t state clearly above.

MissSinfully
Sonyanna
Dragonhunter

Posted by: meissa.4239

meissa.4239

tbh i used to not really care abt people afk farming bc they must make very little, but then. people farming blade shards. gklasdgjs. especially when they kill the aetherblades before i get there making my life just that much harder.

i try to just ignore them but when you’re running around burning aetherblades to death and get 1 blade shard every 10 minutes maybe annoyances stack up. basically it made me realize just how p unfair and annoying it is :\

“Caithe, someday you’ll see. Tyria needs me.” — Scarlet Briar

MissSinfully.2478

Forge the shards, there’s like a 1 and 50 chance of getting 50 shards in one go. That’s how I finished 2 spinal back pieces. Watchwork mining pick goes a long way to helping.

MissSinfully
Sonyanna
Dragonhunter

penelopehannibal.8947

tbh i used to not really care abt people afk farming bc they must make very little, but then. people farming blade shards. gklasdgjs. especially when they kill the aetherblades before i get there making my life just that much harder.

i try to just ignore them but when you’re running around burning aetherblades to death and get 1 blade shard every 10 minutes maybe annoyances stack up. basically it made me realize just how p unfair and annoying it is :\

That’s not really anything to do with this topic though, is it? I mean, your type of farming is just farming. That’s good.

AFK farming is people going to sleep, then waking up and logging on to a windfall (however small it is, it’s still free money for simply keeping a computer running). Then after waking up, the AFK farmers can do normal farming, such as your type of farming. Only xx Gold richer than they were before they went to bed.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

That’s not really anything to do with this topic though, is it? I mean, your type of farming is just farming. That’s good.

AFK farming is people going to sleep, then waking up and logging on to a windfall (however small it is, it’s still free money for simply keeping a computer running). Then after waking up, the AFK farmers can do normal farming, such as your type of farming. Only xx Gold richer than they were before they went to bed.

Maybe I misread it but I thought he was saying he used not to care about afk farmers but now he’s competing with them killing aetherblades so that he can’t get blade shards more than once every 10 minutes.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

" it’s best to be careful while AFKing on your Reaper" this guy is not serious, right? right? It sounds even worse than politicians

No, he isn’t…..

It’s a false flag so he wasn’t exploiting or doing anything wrong. The person who reported him was abusing the system.

Are you actually serious?

I actually am SERIOUS, my nickname says so :P

penelopehannibal.8947

Maybe I misread it but I thought he was saying he used not to care about afk farmers but now he’s competing with them killing aetherblades so that he can’t get blade shards more than once every 10 minutes.

I thought he was saying he’s competing against other Aetherblade farmers, which is basically, just farmers at the end of the day. Hmm.. unless there are AFK farmers actually at Aetherblade locations is what was meant? This requires further investigation! points finger in air like Batfink

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Sadria.6570

Sadria.6570

Don’t like AFK farmers? ;_;= you.

penelopehannibal.8947

Don’t like AFK farmers? ;_;= you.

Oh, so you like them then?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

penelopehannibal.8947

I thought he was saying he’s competing against other Aetherblade farmers, which is basically, just farmers at the end of the day. Hmm.. unless there are AFK farmers actually at Aetherblade locations is what was meant? This requires further investigation! points finger in air like Batfink

Ding ding ding we have a winner. Only 10 minutes after investigating, and I already spotted an AFK farmer parked in the Aetherblad jumping puzzle. A necro, built just like the ones in Dredgehaunt Cliffs. Naturally I reported.

So, I guess as far as my reply to meissa, I stand corrected!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

If it’s Blade Shards those farmers are after, I sure wish those were tradable. I have close to 3 stacks in my bank now that I have absolutely no use for. :/

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

lol no… if I need to run afk I am not going to just leave the map I am in. And if my minions decide to kill kitten while I am off doing whatever I had to do that isn’t my fault.

If your minions are killing stuff while you’re afk then it IS your fault. You chose to stay where mobs spawn and you chose to have minions out (you can always toggle Flesh of the Master to kill all your minions) FULLY KNOWING how your minions behave.

Well put. And the objection that you just had to rush off AFK and didn’t have time… bs to that, it takes you 1 sec to press P and click ‘Enter PvP lobby’ from which you’ll get back to the exact same place when you return from AFK. Similarly, press G then ‘Guild Hall’ which should take you about the same second.

If not, don’t complain when you get warnings and/or bans.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If the incident is so urgent, one can’t one-key log out, or couple-click move one’s character, then a temporary ban/suspension won’t be of consequence.

If the ban is permanent, then one would have had a history of leaving their character unattended, and might consider playing the game in a safer environment.

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

I had plenty of emergencys last year trust me i did not care what the hell was going on in game i could be in a party or raid or sitting in a camp and i would of just left it there in a mila sec they could all die i did not care at all why ? it’s called real life and i was away for half a day allot of the times so yea hitting esc and exiting or alt f4 so so can be seconds that you need in a emergency just get off you but and go do what needs to be done – game is not something you should be worrying about at that time and if it is you need to look at your life and re think your priority

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

First, this should not be in GW2 Discussion, but in Support Issues. We’ll move it there.

Second, we use two terms:

• Account termination, which means a permanent closure of the account.
  • Account suspension, which is a temporary “time out” or a few hours or days.

If you have questions about the suspension or termination of your account, you are more than welcome to contact Customer Support with your questions. This forum is not the space to discuss actions on individual accounts. If an error was made, it will be reversed. If no error was made, the decision will be upheld.

You may be interested to know that forum claims of errors or “false positives” have been disproved many, many times. Accurately judging an individual player’s situation based on what they post in the forums simply isn’t possible, because none of us has access to the account records and we’re only seeing one person’s perspective on the situation.

Please contact support with questions.
Please do not use the forums to protest GM decisions, as the rules clearly prohibit such discussions and, again, it’s not possible to have an informed decision about the topic.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)