Suspicious Gathering Node Shenanigans!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Not quite sure how to start this. There could be many explanations for what I’m seeing I’m sure – I’m hoping someone can shed some light.

I was gathering from nodes throughout Sparkfly Swamp, and on 2 separate occaisions, at the same platinum node (just a regular node, nothing obvious special about it or the location), I witnessed someone appear, gather, and disappear – as though they were logging in only to gather, then logging out.

I thought nothing of it until today when a friend said he’d seen the same. He certainly seems to have a better connection than me generally so it got me thinking again – this time though it was nodes in Mount Maelstrom.

Could this be:
1. A new way of botting?
2. Lag on my part?
3. People genuinly camping one node with an alt?

I’m baffled. My current favourite theory is just lag – but has anyone else witnessed this?

If I could get a video of this occuring I’d post it, only you’ve gotta have Fraps on and camp a node in the hope you’ll see it which it both boring and impractical!

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

It’s most likely botting, using a teleport hack. I’ve seen it before too, and not only in GW2—that was how gold farmers in WoW and FFXI gathered from nodes, too. At least in GW2 I don’t have to deal with starting to mine a node only to watch it disappear under my nose and be briefly replaced with a nonsense-named naked character who then flickers away.

Posted by: mcarswell.3768

mcarswell.3768

that doesn’t make any sense with a plat node, but i do that with an orich node. I only WvW so i just leave my character logged out at an orich node, log in, mine, then go WvW.

Berner | Nitzerebb | Suna | Shivayanama
[TSFR] – Jade Quarry

Sarie.1630

It’s most likely botting, using a teleport hack. I’ve seen it before too, and not only in GW2—that was how gold farmers in WoW and FFXI gathered from nodes, too. At least in GW2 I don’t have to deal with starting to mine a node only to watch it disappear under my nose and be briefly replaced with a nonsense-named naked character who then flickers away.

If that’s true that’s quite a lot of motivation for me to actually sit there with Fraps open trying to record these people in order to report. ^^

that doesn’t make any sense with a plat node

Yeah that’s what totally confused me too. Was just a regular node – nothing special.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

could be botting, but it could also be someone else with a not so great connection, seen it when talking to someone who knew they were lagging and they appeared to me (I had no lag at the time) to teleport from place to place.

just adding my view from my experiences

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

that doesn’t make any sense with a plat node, but i do that with an orich node. I only WvW so i just leave my character logged out at an orich node, log in, mine, then go WvW.

I’m at a platinum node right now. Actually two, in timberline. This is exactly what I do, farm for mats in an area for alts, stop by a node and go WvW. Pop out to hit resources every so often, go back. Or often log an alt to play, and sometimes get back on monsters with my main after the DR seems to reset.

No speed hacks, just logging to character select and back in. The game loads quick.

Posted by: cgnius.8539

cgnius.8539

I often log in with my alts to farm lower lvl mats to craft with my main

Posted by: LordYz.8941

LordYz.8941

Saw one of those ninja at Malchor Leap near veteran knight area. Quite impossible ppl log in juz to farm 1 Mithril Node and log off. The player just appear from nowhere farm and disappear. I bet some ppl is using some teleporting hack to the nodes. Devs reading this should take a look into this matter.

Sea of Sorrows, Black Snow Suave.
Recruiting dungeon raiders.

Sarie.1630

I often log in with my alts to farm lower lvl mats to craft with my main

If it was a Rich node I could maybe (but only maybe) understand but a 3-use regular platinum vein? Logging in and out only for that one node? Seems… excessive effort for one node, but if you claim you do then who am I to argue.

I’d rather just spend the 36 copper on the Trading Post rather than going through all those loading screens to gather 3 pieces!

Posted by: Lexicaholic.4718

Lexicaholic.4718

Yeah, I log in with alts just to mine nodes. It’s easier than grinding for gold and takes up less of my time.

Posted by: elsbeth.3567

elsbeth.3567

This. Bots with teleport hacks are common in this game.

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

Has anyone considered that maybe a player logged into the game, saw the node and mined it (maybe because they logged out there), and then teleported away to a waypoint to do something else?

Posted by: Tolsha.4670

Tolsha.4670

No. I can say for sure that during the middle of the night and early morning there are TONS of toons popping from gathering node to gathering node. I’ve observed repeatedly a toon appear on one node, gather, disappear and then immediately appear on another node within line of sight and repeat the process.

Posted by: bman.1683

bman.1683

I always loved random naked characters. They make me feel like getting naked too.

Posted by: TsukasaHiiragi.9730

TsukasaHiiragi.9730

Teleport hack, its nothing new. Earlier today, in one of the 15-25 zones there was alot of new bots appearing already.

protest this travesty of a patch -
Get it taken down -
Do whatever it takes if you care about this game -

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

Yeah this is not a new thing been there for around a month and a half.

Most common are thief’s who appear to mine, and once done will “shutter” like a spaz. hit the twisting blades (where they fly over the node upside down spinning) then disappear again. Not sure why it is so hard to stop teleporting hacks but I guess it is.

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

Posted by: vince.5937

vince.5937

I’ve been seeing this on Yak’s Bend as well. There’s no way this is a case of “log on, mine, log off.” While running around Lornar’s Pass last night I saw the same Elementalist four times: He appeared, mined the node, and vanished on two rich nodes and a couple of trees.

vince.5937 — Tarnished Coast — Les Saintes
R.I.P. City of Heroes, 2004-2012
Long Live Atlas Park 33

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

Yep those are the new breed of bots that are out. They are a bit harder to tag cause when they teleport away you loose the target on them. If you know there is one in you zone you can wait by a node for them to appere. Click on the quick and get the report window open before they teleport away. I just tagged 6 or so over in Caledon Forest.

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

This thread will be closed like the last one on these vanishing players, I suppose. Makes sense, though, if you fear being reported by players as a bot, what can you do? Figure out how to be invisible the vast majority of the time.

What I don’t understand is, if they can pull off this trick, why can’t they be invisible %100 of the time?

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Posted by: vince.5937

vince.5937

They’re near impossible to report if you don’t have superhuman reaction time. By the time I’ve clicked on these ‘jumpers’ they’ve ported out of range of a select.

vince.5937 — Tarnished Coast — Les Saintes
R.I.P. City of Heroes, 2004-2012
Long Live Atlas Park 33

Posted by: WonderWoozeh.9352

WonderWoozeh.9352

I’ve seen this happen as well, in a dredge mine.
They appeared without any armour on at all while I was mining a node, started mining the moment they popped up on my screen and then seconds later they were gone. Very odd o.o Though I’ve only seen it happen once.

Wurg Wildtusk ~ Charr Ranger
Wazla ~ Asura Engineer
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Seen it today at Dredgehaunt at multiple locations with fir trees. It’s definitely botting.

Posted by: Amonde Daneren.2380

Amonde Daneren.2380

It’s very easy to track down the source of this using Goole. Competent programmers are creating these bots and then selling them to people. The bots are super good for this sort of thing. They can scan the map for resources, and then teleport there to gather them and then move on. In fact, the better ones do this UNDERNEATH the map (think of Mesmers accidentally teleporting under the terrain in that “water” that is always under every terrain), so they can’t be attacked or seen, and don’t even need to level to farm the high end areas.

And this is one of the more benign bot/hax/exploits. The ones in PvP are so much more fundamentally worse. So many things in this game are broken.

Posted by: Kingfisher.7213

Kingfisher.7213

A few days ago, I saw someone in Orr appear out of nowhere next to me to mine a Mithril node (not orichalcum), then disappear.

They were a level 80 character stipped down to a pair of shorts.

I’ve seen the bot trains, now that I stopped exploring the low level areas, but nothing like this before.

I’m baffled. My current favourite theory is just lag – but has anyone else witnessed this?

Sarie, there are videos on Youtube where people have recorded the teleporting bots.

Just search on Youtube for “Guild Wars 2 teleporting bots”

I would have linked one, but one of the people who recorded them said he posted a video once on these forums, but got threatened with a permaban if he did it again.

The reason was that the video showed the name of the person thought to be a bot, and posting on the forums was the same as a call out of someone.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

If it is in fact bots, screenshot them and report it later. Screens are captured on the frame you press the button so their character name will be fully visible in the screenshot, and thus they lose the advantage of teleporting off before you can target and click report.

Reporting in this manner also allows you to get a lot of names and then easily and quickly make a list later on without disrupting your play session. In my case this ends up with me reporting more suspected bots, and still fully enjoying all my avaliable play time.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

I’ve seen a couple of these today. I’m rather surprised that I’ve not seen any of them before now. The first was in Caledon, in the higher level part of the zone, with a naked low level appearing, mining some copper, then vanishing. I thought it was very unlikely that someone, even a bot, would be swapping characters just to mine a single copper node. The second was in Queensdale, and is the reason I found this forum thread. It was “stuck” inside a rich copper vein (in the vet troll cave behind the /threaten door), spazzing out making sounds as if it was in combat/being hit. After a few seconds (about enough time to mine the rich node), it vanished. I didn’t see this one spawn in because I was busy with the troll, so I can’t say for sure whether it popped in while I was there or was already standing there.

Seeing this, and reading other posts about teleport hacks, makes me think I’ve seen them before. The formerly common ranger bots (usually the solo ones) would frequenty “warp” around a few feet. Short enough jumps that I though it was possibly lag, but I had not noticed any human players doing this while bots commonly did it. After seeing the tele-mining bots, I’m thinking these bots may have been using a teleport to keep “on track” in their patroling path.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Yegads.5182

Yegads.5182

A few days ago, I saw someone in Orr appear out of nowhere next to me to mine a Mithril node (not orichalcum), then disappear.

They were a level 80 character stipped down to a pair of shorts.

Yeah, I’ve seen that a few times recently. (on Iron nodes of all places).
I wrote off the vanishing the first time I saw it as a graphics glitch or something but this Charr toon I saw being naked struck me as odd. It had an actual name that looked like some thought had been put into it, so not sure if these are “hacked” stolen accounts or what.

Haven’t quit figured out how to report these, they’re slippery. Not quite sure if names are unique or not so guesting may complicate things a bit in that regard, so I’ve just been screen capping and saving the shots till I get around to finding out how to turn them in.

Posted by: ADFX.6179

ADFX.6179

I’ve seen teleporting bots in Orr on my server. It became clear what they were in an area where several mithril nodes spawn close together. They move so fast sometimes as to be imposible to tag and report normally. Many of them belonged to one guild. I attempted to report them through the bug system (exploitable issue, blocking progress.) But there was no one and no way to contact a GM directly.

I’ll remember the screen shot idea noted above. I hadn’t considered that.

I’ve actrually wondered if this teleport hack could be abused in other ways like WvWvW?

Posted by: Budchgon.2108

Budchgon.2108

Yeah, there are a few Youtube videos of Thieves in W3 using a teleport hack …

Lyssia Iceblood of Gandara – I sometimes win… but not often :-(

Posted by: Gretl.3156

Gretl.3156

Back then when we had a rich ori node by champ karka (sniff sniff) I used to see those funny scenes with people popping on the node, mining it and disappear.
Just imagine – you’re just afking, talking to a friend or watch a youtube video. And you see some players like ‘Mister Awesomez’ or ‘Oh Mah Gawd’ and etc. popping there. And first I thought: well, they come from wvw.
But when I tried to keep my character from wvw on the node Karka sees you. In that case Karka didnt see the player.
After browsing in the Internet I find out about a mod (you may browse about it yourself easily). It allows you to run fast, teleport according to the specific locations using original x-y-z destinations, fly and etc.

So I think these node gatherings were as well the programmed farming hacks.

(edited by Gretl.3156)

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

After browsing in the Internet I find out about a XXXXX mod.

You might want to modify your post, so as to not promote hacks.

Posted by: Gretl.3156

Gretl.3156

After browsing in the Internet I find out about a XXXXX mod.

You might want to modify your post, so as to not promote hacks.

No I’m not, hoped only Anet to see that and take it into account. Ok, i’ll correct that. But that hack is still up to date and keeps spreading unfortunately.

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

Not quite sure how to start this. There could be many explanations for what I’m seeing I’m sure – I’m hoping someone can shed some light.

I was gathering from nodes throughout Sparkfly Swamp, and on 2 separate occaisions, at the same platinum node (just a regular node, nothing obvious special about it or the location), I witnessed someone appear, gather, and disappear – as though they were logging in only to gather, then logging out.

I thought nothing of it until today when a friend said he’d seen the same. He certainly seems to have a better connection than me generally so it got me thinking again – this time though it was nodes in Mount Maelstrom.

Could this be:
1. A new way of botting?
2. Lag on my part?
3. People genuinly camping one node with an alt?

If I could get a video of this occuring I’d post it, only you’ve gotta have Fraps on and camp a node in the hope you’ll see it which it both boring and impractical!

Those are bots, report them. You’ll have to hurry they won’t stay very long.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: Yegads.5182

Yegads.5182

I’ve ran across 3 just in the past couple hours or so, was only able to screen shot a couple of them. One I was actually able to target but they popped out before I could hit report.

I’ve been sending the info to that exploits@arena.net address but not really sure if there’s a point to doing it.

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

Remember please to report all bots you might com across and forward the info and evidence to exploits@arena.net. The team will deal with them.

Thanks for your understanding.