Swiftness is NOT a boon for everyone!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I am probably in a minority, but I do NOT enjoy swiftness. It messes up my timing for making jumps. And I just plain don’t care to zip along with those white “swooshes” streaming out behind my toon. I feel less in control when I’m traveling so fast. (I am also a confirmed anti-zergist, so that crowd probably won’t understand my complaint).

I have brought this subject up several times in the past. Once because of my annoyance at having to stand still and wait until Swiftness died off when another player used it near me on a jumping puzzle. And I brought it up another time because Swiftness was being used as a “reward” for leaving an underpopulated zone before it forced me out.

Now it comes up again. I came back to the game after a short time off to find that I have swiftness in town because some of my party members have the Pact Commander Mastery.

STOP IT ALREADY! You’re killing me here! (Literally, when I overshoot a jump!) From my previous threads, I know I am not the only person who doesn’t care to use Swiftness. If I buy Heart of Thorns, you can bet I will be skipping the Pact Commander Mastery line. I will miss the enhanced Revival abilities, but it’s a sacrifice I will just have to make in order to maintain my sanity.

Yes, I know it’s only in town. That makes it less “serious” as far as gameplay is concerned, but it doesn’t make it any less annoying. And I hate having to leave my party when I want to map the major cities to earn Transmutation Stones.

Would you PLEASE do something? Either remove the “whole party” effect of the Swiftness from Pact Commander, or allow us to DISMISS the effect somehow, or change it to something else entirely?

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: saturn.4810

saturn.4810

This would really help with some jumping puzzles. Also if you have pact commander mastery yourself, you should be able to disable the swiftness boon.

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

In GW1 you could dismiss a boon from your character. Something like how that worked?

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

This would really help with some jumping puzzles. Also if you have pact commander mastery yourself, you should be able to disable the swiftness boon.

You can enable and disable the mentor tag not the boon itself .

Posted by: Llethander.3972

Llethander.3972

You can enable and disable the mentor tag not the boon itself .

That’s why s/he said should be able to disable the boon.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I think getting in combat mid jump is much more frustrating.

There needs to be consistency with jumping.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

You just need more practice and I’m sure you’ll be a professional ninja in no time and control all variations of speed with ease. I believe in you.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

When I play my herald in the open world I have the facet that gives swiftness to all allies near me on 100% of the time.

Do you hate me yet?

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Out of all the things that people have complained about in GW2 this one seems really silly to me.

To the OP you’re just gonna have to learn to deal with it.

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

I admit that swiftness is much more of a pain than a boon when jumping. Otherwise though I don’t mind it. I think being able to control – or dismiss – a boon given to you in this case would be great.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

only thing i hate bout swiftness is when it is surprise swiftness because that is what sometimes kills a jump for me. if you have swiftness on you pre the jump you should be able to just judge it with that in mind

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Hamfast.8719

Out of all the things that people have complained about in GW2 this one seems really silly to me.

I was doing the Pig Iron Quarry jumping puzzle high up over the lake. Some idiot near me suddenly applied Swiftness to me and I fellyn to the water.

Seriously, though, it’s an annoyance to me. Not just for JPs, but I feel “reckless” moving at an increased speed. On occasion I use self-imposed Swiftness for cross country travel. But for the most part I prefer to live without it.

Swiftness is something that mostly is for the good. But unlike all ten other Boons in the game, it physically alters the way your character responds to your control. That is not a light matter. So please cut back on the ability for others to impose it upon us – because there are times when this particular Boon can feel more like a Condition.

Posted by: Togo.7094

Togo.7094

iirc the switftness the pact mastery tag gives you only applies itself in cities. so you won’t have to worry about it.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

OP practice make perfect you just need to train more jps while useing swiftness

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

I’m behind the OP 100%. In fact, for a second there I wondered if I had been posting in my sleep under a pseudonym, since I had been contemplating making the same post.

Togo, it doesn’t matter that Pact Commander swiftness only works in town because there are places in town where you are required to jump to reach vistas. I don’t think it’s at all silly to want to have control over your character’s movement speed.

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

@ OP, I’m with you, it annoys me in jumping puzzles and I too stand still and wait until it has worn off.

Hamfast.8719

iirc the switftness the pact mastery tag gives you only applies itself in cities. so you won’t have to worry about it.

As mentioned in my original post, I do have to worry about it in cities. I have an extra character slot for creating new characters with the intent of “mapping” all 6 of the cities for the Transmutation Stone reward. There’s a fair amount of jumping involved in getting to the various Vistas. Swiftness interferes with that.

I am not against Swiftness. It has its place. I just want to be personally in control of whether I have Swiftness or not. More and more, they are dishing Swiftness out as if it is a reward that everybody wants all the time. I do not. I am asking that it be made into a limited area of effect (preferably self-only). Or be able to click the icon and dismiss it. I hate having to leave my party of friends just to kill the Swiftness on myself.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I agree, I’d really like an option to turn the swiftness boon on or off.

Most of the time it’s not a problem, and yes I probably would get used to it (although it’s harder when it only applies in certain maps), but at certain times it’s really annoying.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I won’t lie, there may have been a time or two (or dozen) when I have purposely shouted “Retreat!” right before people make a difficult jump. But I swear its only been to guildies, and an innocent bystander here and there.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I was doing the Pig Iron Quarry jumping puzzle high up over the lake. Some idiot near me suddenly applied Swiftness to me and I fellyn to the water.

Seriously, though, it’s an annoyance to me. Not just for JPs, but I feel “reckless” moving at an increased speed. On occasion I use self-imposed Swiftness for cross country travel. But for the most part I prefer to live without it.

Swiftness is something that mostly is for the good. But unlike all ten other Boons in the game, it physically alters the way your character responds to your control. That is not a light matter. So please cut back on the ability for others to impose it upon us – because there are times when this particular Boon can feel more like a Condition.

Pardon me for saying so but I don’t really care. This is a first world problem of GW2.

I can sort of understand for jumping puzzles, but even then it doesn’t last that long for this to be an issue anet ever needs to consider addressing.

“Alters the way your character responses to your control” … I mean honestly, do you have the hand eye coordination of a hibernating bear? You’re trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

I’m not sure if this suggestion is silly or brilliant, but have you tried playing a Charr? You ever driven a really large car and it feels like you are crawling down the road even when you are moving at a decent speed?

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

I’m of the mind that applying a permanent, uncontrollable speed-affecting effect to player while in cities is terrible. Thus, I’ll hold off on training Pact Commander mastery.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

I’ve never seen anyone complain about being buffed before. Gods, how far we have fallen from the days when support was supreme in MMOs and the only thing my chat log ever contained was “Please buff me” from randoms.

Add a menu option to restrict buffs to guild or party.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

The ability to right-click a buff to get rid of it would not be amiss, I think. Preferably with a UI lock, so you can enable or disable the right-click. We wouldn’t want people who love their buffs accidentally getting rid of them. But giving the option to those who want to escape the clutches of swiftness would be a nice QOL tweak.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Agreed – at least the Pact Commander one that’s tied to the mastery. It’s pretty annoying to have it on all the time.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

This seems like a good qol change for some players. I myself don’t usually remove swiftness, but if I’m having trouble with a jump, I usually remove swiftness. This is also only relevant for a few LA jumping puzzles as far as I’m aware. I’m not sure if this ever be implemented due to how few players it will affect, but good luck. I wouldn’t mind this feature.

Posted by: Veneratio.1980

Veneratio.1980

I won’t lie, there may have been a time or two (or dozen) when I have purposely shouted “Retreat!” right before people make a difficult jump. But I swear its only been to guildies, and an innocent bystander here and there.

I think I love you

Posted by: Entrea Sumatae.7830

Entrea Sumatae.7830

I’m absolutely on board when it comes to jumping puzzles: Unexpected Swiftness when you’re used to base movement speed is a nightmare. I think the best solution, though, is to have a toggle option to lock your character to base movement speed (a sort of companion to the “walk” toggle you can bind a key to) so even if you’re buffed with a speed-enhancing effect you’ll remain at the same speed you’d be going without it.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

How about something really simple and easy like, being able to toggle the “Leader of the Pact” icon? Just right click it and there’s a red line through it showing it’s disabled. Click it again and the line goes away and it’s enabled. There done easy peasy, k? It’s probably taken more man hours for players to read and reply to this thread than for a dev to make this work.

A side note, if you think swiftness is bad, wait until you start trying a JP with gliding I always always long press the space bar while jumping. I wish I could toggle off or separate gliding from jumping.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by DeWolfe.2174)

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

Meanwhile, in PvP land, thieves continue to sabotage their own teams by spamming area stealth on capture points.