Switch off tags on map display

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Todd.8162

Todd.8162

Feature request: Option to switch off tags on map display.

“Commander” tags were already becoming meaningless as more people simply bought them as look-at-me bling without the skill, experience or even interest to lead people anywhere.

Now “Mentor” tags are becoming as common as Halloween candy.

I have seen several instances of maps cluttered with tags, making none of them relevant. I have also seen at least two cases where a person with a “Mentor” tag didn’t know what they were doing and were posting to Map chat for help on how to get to the event they were supposedly leading people to.

In short, tags are now just screen pollution.

Please add an option to switch off their display from the maps. In some cases, when someone competent is leading, they are useful. But most times they are not.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Speaking on behalf of the human race, arguably the most intelligent and adaptable creatures on the planet, I think you’ll find most players can still manage to use the maps and function in the game regardless of the presence of a few small, vaguely rectangular blobs on the map or, indeed, above a toon’s head. Some of the players are even capable of following the tag they want and ignoring all the others.

I’ve never seen so much drama about such a small thing. “Cluttered with tags”? Really? How many tags were there? Did you need more than one hand to count them? Did it stop you from using the map? Save the complaints for the important stuff….

Posted by: LaFleur.9374

LaFleur.9374

Mentor and commander tags should be an opt-out feature. There is an option under the world map to turn off the dots for guild members, there should be one for hiding mentors and commanders too.

Posted by: Todd.8162

Todd.8162

Speaking on behalf of the human race, arguably the most intelligent and adaptable creatures on the planet, I think you’ll find most players can still manage to use the maps and function in the game regardless of the presence of a few small, vaguely rectangular blobs on the map or, indeed, above a toon’s head. Some of the players are even capable of following the tag they want and ignoring all the others.

I’ve never seen so much drama about such a small thing. “Cluttered with tags”? Really? How many tags were there? Did you need more than one hand to count them? Did it stop you from using the map? Save the complaints for the important stuff….

Yes, I have seen maps with more than 5 tags. Dozens, in fact.

Yes, it affects my ability to play. There have been cases where clumps of tags covered things I needed to see and use; like resource nodes, POI and waypoints on the map. I have also seen so many tags over the heads of toons on the screen that they blocked watching for important tell-animations from champions and world bosses. (And I normally run my graphics settings with Character Model Limit set to Low.)

If people can whine about weapon skin graphics not looking perfect or dye colors not looking perfect then surely genuine game-play improvement issues can be discussed.