Switching Server Question

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MinisterMax.8346

MinisterMax.8346

So i’m located on an NA server, and i’ve got a friend located on an EU server.
He’s discovered that if he deletes his characters he can apparently switch servers for free.

I have multiple questions about this.

1. Does that allow him to switch to NA?
2. I’m aware that gold/gems are account bound now, so does that mean that he won’t lose them during a server/world transfer?

EDIT:

Just so people know, deleting the characters and switching from EU to NA caused a total of 0 problems!

Thanks for the help everyone

(edited by MinisterMax.8346)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

1 — As far as I know, it does. There is likely a wiki article to confirm it.

2 — Correct. The only things lost are items on the deleted alts. He should strip every alt of everything, even their inventory bags, put shareable items in the account bank, sell/salvage all the soulbound stuff, deposit the mats, and end up with naked alts before deletion. Or else he’ll be going “darn it! I forgot X item was on that alt!”

Posted by: MinisterMax.8346

MinisterMax.8346

2 — Correct. The only things lost are items on the deleted alts. He should strip every alt of everything, even their inventory bags, put shareable items in the account bank, sell/salvage all the soulbound stuff, deposit the mats, and end up with naked alts before deletion. Or else he’ll be going “darn it! I forgot X item was on that alt!”

I’ll pass this on! Thanks a bunch!

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

One more thing you need a shared guild bank for him to store his gold or it will be lost when he delete all his chars I think

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

One more thing you need a shared guild bank for him to store his gold or it will be lost when he delete all his chars I think

That’s not true. Anything in the wallet remains. Only items that he wants to transfer need to be moved to a guild bank, which might include mats and items special to you.

Gold and most other currencies aren’t attached to characters.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Random Weirdness.6750

Random Weirdness.6750

Actually you’ll still retain your gold, as its account wide now. I’ve done it on an alt before (I only had maybe 20 silver anyway) and still had it once I remade a character. Dunno anything about switching from EU to NA though

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

To add up more information, make sure your server isn’t full before he deletes his characters.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

There’s no need for a guild bank, is there? Anything you can put in a guild bank you can put in your personal bank, and all the stuff in your personal bank stays with the account as far as I know. In fact, wouldn’t a guild bank be EU/NA specific?

I’ve never transferred servers so my comments are repeats of what I’ve seen others write in response to similar questions in the past, not based on personal experience.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

There’s no need for a guild bank, is there? Anything you can put in a guild bank you can put in your personal bank, and all the stuff in your personal bank stays with the account as far as I know. In fact, wouldn’t a guild bank be EU/NA specific?

I’ve never transferred servers so my comments are repeats of what I’ve seen others write in response to similar questions in the past, not based on personal experience.

Your bank and everything in it stays. The only things that will be lost is anything on your char, (such as armor, trinkets, harvesting tools and weapons) and any items sitting in that char’s inventory. (Any loot, salvaging kits, inventory bags, etc). So anything you want to keep that’s not soulbound, move it to your bank.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World#Transferring
Accounts without active characters

The transfer fee is waived for accounts without any active characters. This allows players just starting out to change to another world that is not full. You also can transfer without cost if you delete all your existing characters. The next time you log on without any characters, you will be prompted to choose a new home world. Please be aware of the following:

Transfers to any game world — whether free or paid for with gems — are allowed only if the population of the world is at less than capacity.
Transfers to any game world — whether free or paid for with gems — are allowed only once per seven days.
If you decide to delete the characters on your account, Customer Support cannot restore them, in whole or in part.
Items left on the characters will be deleted and cannot be restored. Move items to your personal account bank to preserve them.

Edit: guild bank are global and can be accessed regardless of server.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Vault
As of the September 2014 Feature Pack, guilds are global and shared regardless of the world you are on. All merits, influence, and vaults were merged and are now shared across worlds.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

The only thing to remember before deleting all char’s if they are moving to NA in hoping to get into your server, the server maybe full, so if they are moving for WvW they may delete everything then find they cannot get into your server.