Sword ranger skillset need some fixes.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aicus.3174

Aicus.3174

First, the sword auto attacks locks players into the attack animation for too long and too often, you can’t dodge, use skill or cancel out of it while getting locked into the animation, leaving players open to attacks. No any other class are getting punished this way for going melee.

Second, Serpent Strike rolls everywhere but around the target. Every time I use it, it places me out of melee attack range then proceed to lock me into the attack animation leaving me wide open to attacks, again.

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

First, the sword auto attacks locks players into the attack animation for too long and too often

Us rangers have been dealing with that for…. two years.

Why do you think I use Greatsword?

Someone said that you could get around the problem by making it to where you don’t autoattack, but you actually press the button to attack. They said that it helps. I’m not sure exactly how. But, I’m not willing to destroy my 1 button and my finger just to be able to dodge. So, greatsword it is for me.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

I heard that serpent strike’s issue is that it accounts for movement speed boosts, so it calculates you moving past your target rather than behind them.

I’d test whether removing Sigil of the Hunt fixes it, but my ranger is level 29 (so leveling isn’t a thing until bug fixes) and has Sigil of the Hunt locked into her third utility slot until she ‘unlocks’ it again.

Aicus.3174

First, the sword auto attacks locks players into the attack animation for too long and too often

Us rangers have been dealing with that for…. two years.

Why do you think I use Greatsword?

Someone said that you could get around the problem by making it to where you don’t autoattack, but you actually press the button to attack. They said that it helps. I’m not sure exactly how. But, I’m not willing to destroy my 1 button and my finger just to be able to dodge. So, greatsword it is for me.

I tried that, not a practical solution, not going to going to risk RSI for that.

Aicus.3174

I heard that serpent strike’s issue is that it accounts for movement speed boosts, so it calculates you moving past your target rather than behind them.

I’d test whether removing Sigil of the Hunt fixes it, but my ranger is level 29 (so leveling isn’t a thing until bug fixes) and has Sigil of the Hunt locked into her third utility slot until she ‘unlocks’ it again.

I think you mean Signet of the Hunt, I already test with or without the signet, don’t see a difference, still places me out of attack distance and attack the air.

Now what can I do to get Anet’s attention about problems like this?

Aicus.3174

SO can we even get an acknowledgement from the devs that this is a documented problem and a fix is being worked on?

Posted by: duckideva.6358

duckideva.6358

Oh man, I thought I just didn’t know how to ranger. Glad to know the skill sucks more than I do. (To be fair, I may not be good…) I expected it to be a lot like the thief heartseeker(?), whatever that skill is that thieves have that hops them over their target and then stabby stabby stabby.

Cruella LaDucki: Have corpses, will travel
Torwynd Trueheart: Here I come to save the day!
NSP – Quak Resident Duchess L’Orange

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

No other class has a leap and a cripple on auto attack either. That’s why it locks you, the animation frames of the leap portion of the attack doesn’t change based on distance. So even if you are right next to the target it still uses the animation frames of the furthest possible leap distance, and you can not dodge during any leap in this game. So, they either need to get rid of the leap all together (which would sorta suck in pvp because it’s nice being able to stick like glue to someone trying to run away) or figure out how to adjust the animation frames better based on distance. As an aside you can use a weapon swap at any time provided swap is not on cooldown to cancel the lockout if you reaaallly need to dodge immediately, not a perfect solution but it works for the time being.

As far as serpent strike goes, I can’t say I have noticed it always happening where you are out of position except when there is a lot of movement by the target. Any kind of immobilize or speed reduction should remedy not landing the attack.

Aicus.3174

No other class has a leap and a cripple on auto attack either. That’s why it locks you, the animation frames of the leap portion of the attack doesn’t change based on distance. So even if you are right next to the target it still uses the animation frames of the furthest possible leap distance, and you can not dodge during any leap in this game. So, they either need to get rid of the leap all together (which would sorta suck in pvp because it’s nice being able to stick like glue to someone trying to run away) or figure out how to adjust the animation frames better based on distance. As an aside you can use a weapon swap at any time provided swap is not on cooldown to cancel the lockout if you reaaallly need to dodge immediately, not a perfect solution but it works for the time being.

As far as serpent strike goes, I can’t say I have noticed it always happening where you are out of position except when there is a lot of movement by the target. Any kind of immobilize or speed reduction should remedy not landing the attack.

A thief can cripple without getting locked, warrior can bleed and cripple and mesmer can inflict vulnerabilty and remove a boon without getting locked into animation and open themselves to attack. I would give up that leap for more mobility anytime, any day, any where because I can swap to other weapon if I need to pursue someone not to mention the ranger has other means to cripple, root and snare if needed.

And your suggestion for me to get Serpent Strike to work is to get myself attacked with root and snare? You can try it now because I can guarantee you will miss your target every time you use Serpent Strike even if the target is a stationary ranged mob or turret.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

SO can we even get an acknowledgement from the devs that this is a documented problem and a fix is being worked on?

I’d say you can take the fact that this hasn’t happened in 2 years translates to, “working as intended”. I’m guessing that since it IS one of the strongest #1 attack chains in the game, this drawback is the cost.

I will add that you shouldn’t hold your breath for this acknowledgement….

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

You probed to remove the autoatack and start timing the hit?.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

No other class has a leap and a cripple on auto attack either.

Warrior sword’s autoattack cripples as well.

Aicus.3174

I’d say you can take the fact that this hasn’t happened in 2 years translates to, “working as intended”. I’m guessing that since it IS one of the strongest #1 attack chains in the game, this drawback is the cost.

I will add that you shouldn’t hold your breath for this acknowledgement….

Do you know that Superior Rune of Afflicted 6th set bonus is still bugged even after 1 year I reported it? Yes, Anet is extremely sloppy and arrogant to actually own up to the flaw and glitches that is happening in the game.

As long as there is no public outcry, it is all rainbows and candies to them.

Aicus.3174

Not helping because 1) I am destroying my keyboard 2) I am destroying my finger and 3) I still get locked in unless I stop and let my auto attack rinse every 2 hits.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Not helping because 1) I am destroying my keyboard 2) I am destroying my finger and 3) I still get locked in unless I stop and let my auto attack rinse every 2 hits.

You shouldn’t “smash” the 1 key, you need to press at the same pace as the auto attack goes, then when you see that you need to evade you stop pressing the key.
It is a really hard task, but it is the only workaround so far, if you keep pressing the 1 key then a buffer of commands will be created and it will work just like if autoattack was on.

If you go to the ranger sub-forum yu’ll find A LOT of topics complaining and giving tips about the sword.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)