Sylvari Curiosity

Sylvari Curiosity

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Killjoy.9213

Killjoy.9213

I’m curious as to how many people have a sylvari toon. I’ve been attempting to make a female sylvari with a Celtic name but it seems all the names I insert have been taken. I personally am a perfectionist and want her to have no last name(as are the standards of the sylvari culture).

Anyway, The question at hand is: "how many of you guys have a Sylvari with a Celtic name and no last name?

Sylvari Curiosity

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Mine has a first name that is,but I kept the last because I’ve had it since my Gw1 main. I couldn’t just give that up y’know? I’ve also used Kriochre before.
If you need some naming help, I’ve found this site can be pretty helpful with it: http://fantasynamegenerators.com/sylvari_names.php#.Vxzf2_krLcs

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

Sylvari Curiosity

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Anyway, The question at hand is: "how many of you guys have a Sylvari with a Celtic name and no last name?

I only have two sylvari, and they both fall short in that area.

However, if you know what path/personality you plan for your sylvari, you might be able to add a title onto a name you want to get it. A title from one of the orders, or even a title as a nickname. One of mine is “Professor Wisteria”, for example. He’s not an actual professor (yet), but that’s what he’s known as.

You might also consider a descriptor, such as ones for the sylvari day cycles. I’ve seen “of the Night” and “of Dawn” for some sylvari. My other sylvari is “Pyre The Discordant”, because he’ll argue with other sylvari about the true nature of The Dream and Nightmare.

Good luck with the name!

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Sylvari Curiosity

Killjoy.9213

Mine has a first name that is,but I kept the last because I’ve had it since my Gw1 main. I couldn’t just give that up y’know? I’ve also used Kriochre before.
If you need some naming help, I’ve found this site can be pretty helpful with it: http://fantasynamegenerators.com/sylvari_names.php#.Vxzf2_krLcs

Even the names generated there that I seem to like also seem to have been used.

Sylvari Curiosity

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

No i tried sylvari a few times even deleted a lv 80, no idea why but they really really don’t appeal to me at all…

Should have just been sexy elves not tree freaks.

Sylvari Curiosity

Posted by: Eshja.2963

Eshja.2963

I’m a roleplayer so all sylvari I created have a properly name . But I think it’s the most hard thing to create good name to sylvari… If I have a good name for sylvari and it is already in use, I try to make it longer. I wanted a character named Sorley but I had to change it for Sorletinne. It doesn’t hurt so much like abandoning good name .

Sylvari Curiosity

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Mine’s named after a plant. Surprise! And yes it’s a single word name.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Sylvari Curiosity

Posted by: traviswrdunbar.4780

traviswrdunbar.4780

Don’t limit yourself to one language. There are dozens of languages in our world, with many words for various plants among them. Both of my sylvari have single word names, because I spread my search a bit, and landed in Sanskrit as a language.

Remember, Celtic may be the inspiration for Sylvari, but its not the end-all basis for the race.

Sylvari Curiosity

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Sylvari names are actually based on Old English more than anything (which fits with their culture drawing a lot on Arthurian legends), which means they draw from a number of sources, Celtic languages being just one of them. Welsh, Gaelic and Old Germanic languages also tie into it so those can be good sources.

Welsh is my go-to language for sylvari names, mainly because it’s one I already used for character names before this game. Partially because I know a bit of it (I went to uni in Wales) but mainly because I think it looks and sounds nice and it’s an easy way to ‘spice up’ words that fit the character but sound boring to me in English.

My most recent one is Aurhedryn, created just 36 days ago. The name means ‘gold seed’ in Welsh, which seemed appropriate because he’s born in the cycle of Dawn and uses a yellow and orange colour scheme.

My second I cheated a bit: she’s called Bethe Arian but it’s a two word first name (like Mary Beth, Sarah Jane etc.) rather than a last name. Arian is Welsh for silver and Bethe is an Old Irish Gaelic word for birch, so silver birch.

My 3rd permanent sylvari (and actually my oldest) is the one who breaks the pattern. She’s called Alleria Wildrunner, which was copied over from my Survivor character in GW1. It’s funny because I will swear up and down sylvari are not simply GW2’s elves and then I go and do that. And she’s not even a ranger. But I liked the name and wanted to keep it and it fit her better than any of my other characters.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Sylvari Curiosity

Killjoy.9213

Sylvari names are actually based on Old English more than anything (which fits with their culture drawing a lot on Arthurian legends), which means they draw from a number of sources, Celtic languages being just one of them. Welsh, Gaelic and Old Germanic languages also tie into it so those can be good sources.

Welsh is my go-to language for sylvari names, mainly because it’s one I already used for character names before this game. Partially because I know a bit of it (I went to uni in Wales) but mainly because I think it looks and sounds nice and it’s an easy way to ‘spice up’ words that fit the character but sound boring to me in English.

My most recent one is Aurhedryn, created just 36 days ago. The name means ‘gold seed’ in Welsh, which seemed appropriate because he’s born in the cycle of Dawn and uses a yellow and orange colour scheme.

My second I cheated a bit: she’s called Bethe Arian but it’s a two word first name (like Mary Beth, Sarah Jane etc.) rather than a last name. Arian is Welsh for silver and Bethe is an Old Irish Gaelic word for birch, so silver birch.

My 3rd permanent sylvari (and actually my oldest) is the one who breaks the pattern. She’s called Alleria Wildrunner, which was copied over from my Survivor character in GW1. It’s funny because I will swear up and down sylvari and not simply GW2’s elves and then I go and do that. And she’s not even a ranger. But I liked the name and wanted to keep it and it fit her better than any of my other characters.

Huh. when looking up the Sylvari race it didnt give too much info but this seems to clarify quite a bit. Thanks.

Sylvari Curiosity

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

What’s kind of funny is a lot of Old English names are actually still in use so some sylvari NPCs have completely lore appropriate names which also sound like normal everyday names to me.

It’s a bit jarring with the fantasy setting and the wide variety of names to find your companion on your Wyld Hunt to decipher the meaning of your Dream is called Gavin.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Sylvari Curiosity

Killjoy.9213

I made a final choice on Emer Kayna. Thanks Danikat

Sylvari Curiosity

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

What’s kind of funny is a lot of Old English names are actually still in use so some sylvari NPCs have completely lore appropriate names which also sound like normal everyday names to me.

It’s a bit jarring with the fantasy setting and the wide variety of names to find your companion on your Wyld Hunt to decipher the meaning of your Dream is called Gavin.

Well the same happens with nordic names for the norn. In GW1 there was a major norn npc with the same name as my dad among others. I don’t find it that jarring at all though… actually I find it somewhat amusing. Names for fantasy games have to come from somewhere afterall.

OT – I currently have 2 sylvari, named Night and Laughter in irish, google translate was my way to find them.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Sylvari Curiosity

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Lets see, quick look at google translator…

CĂ laghaidh

Wait that actually sounded pretty cool. kitten :/

Sylvari Curiosity

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

All of my characters are Sylvari but I do not have lore-related names, I use my own unique names like in other MMOs.

Sylvari Curiosity

Posted by: eNeRgOo.5463

eNeRgOo.5463

I am naming my sylvaris plant-alike. It’s weird to name them in Celtic though I know npc names are usually like that but they’re plants and I love biology so… plant names!
Dionaea sounds beautifull, Orchidea as well. You can take these examples and create something with (x)-aea or (x)-daea. Saguaro, Opuntia, Rhipsalia or Rhipsalis, Aloes or Aloela, Aloesa, Lilliales, Lilliala. Just use wikipedia and jump on plants species. There are plenty of latin names plus I bet you have another version of these names in your language. As somebody once said – the limit is in your imagination. Good Luck.

Sylvari Curiosity

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Just give your Sylvari an epithet the way I do.

Doran the Stool – A Sylvari ranger with a mushroom cap head. He got his name from humans who saw his head and started calling him “The Toadstool”, which eventually got shortened to Stool.

Orrin of Many Eyes – A blind Sylvari Revenant who channels heroes from the Mists to see and writes stories based on his experiences with them. He is called Many Eyes because though he cannot see himself, he sees through the eyes of the many men and women he channels through the Mists. Many eyes, many lifetimes, many experiences.

Treasach the Thorn – A Sylvari necromancer who serves as an assassin and executioner for the Pale Tree. His name refers to his dangerous nature and role as the Tree’s defense. The thorn that guards the flower from harm.

Sylvari Curiosity

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’ve managed to use just one name for all of mine. First one using a name I first used for a wood being back in DaoC, the rest by going to an Arthurian name generator and mouthing syllables until I mashed together something that sounded appropriate. Well, almost — one of them I got by making up a name similar to ones I found in the 1980’s when researching archaic names for table top RP characters. I wrote down pages and pages of those, as word processing and digital saving wasn’t real big yet

So I have Briara, Briamor (his cover name, his actual name is Morbriath, saved as a place holder in case that ever comes to light), Andret, and Ysethe. At one point I had a thief I named in Gaelic for a plant though I don’t recall what the name was; deleted her at level 2 because one Thief is more than enough for me to level. Andret was the only one that took multiple tries to find an untaken name, since I was just using names straight from the generator as he was made simply to have a heavy armor male sylvari.

Sylvari Curiosity

Posted by: KestrelGirl.9267

KestrelGirl.9267

My Reaper does. I changed the spelling of Ceridwen by just two letters, no accents needed, and got it. And this was, what, 4-5 months ago? Sadly I couldn’t replicate the effect on my DH so wound up with Valiant (name).

Sylvari Curiosity

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

I went Greek goddess / nymph / dryad with mine. Elementalist named

“Nymphasia”