Sylvari and the Self-Style Hair Kit

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: luchxtc.3706

luchxtc.3706

I was wondering why changing your glow is not added into the hair kits. Because the glow dictates how your hair looks 50% of the time on your character. If you change your mind from having red hair with a red glow to blue hair, now you have to deal with blue hair and red glow half the time when you decided you were over red. Is there a reason it is not available in the hair kit? Because i think having to pay extra just for a total make over kit is ridiculous just to fully fix your silvari’s hair.

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

It doesn’t just affect your hair. The glow affects body patterns as well, that is why.

Posted by: Tyrannical.9348

Tyrannical.9348

if you don’t have hair you’d still glow, glowing is a body-related thing last I checked

that being said, does kinda suck that in order to FULLY change your hair, you would have to change the glow.

Sylvari problems I guess.

luchxtc.3706

Yes, however a glow is basically bridged between body and hair. So you should be able to change it in both the Hair kit and the total body kit, since the glow is a feature of hair in sylvari.

Posted by: ajakun.7981

ajakun.7981

I totally agree with Luch. It would make more sense if you could change your glow with both your hair and your skin.

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

If they added glow to the kits then people would be complaining that skin color needs to be there too because it clashes with the hairstyle and glow colors. There has to be a line somewhere and quite frankly leaving the glow out is perfectly fine.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I agree with your suggestion. However, as the system of using the hair vs total kits is not properly designed for what the game has become with its wardrobe and appearance additions, and adding glow color to the Self-Style Hair Kit could also cause additional issues as noted above, I’ll add this re-post to your suggestion as it addresses the core issue of appearance customization limitations.

From Ronah Lynda.2496’s suggestion thread.

Makeover Kits merged into the Hero Panel

A summary of details in the request:

• Makeover/hair kits removed from the Gem Store
  • Adjustments require Alteration Charges which are added at the same cost/amount as Transmutation Charges to the Gem Store
  • Charges are used on a ‘per-feature-adjustment’ basis

My reasons for supporting this request:
I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase “charges” (or whatever) to make frequent changes to my appearance. If charges are priced like current Transmutation Charges then I would welcome them and buy them often.

As it is currently, needing to spend far too much for a single kit to make a single adjustment to my appearance causes me to not purchase any.

If I were charged on a per-feature-adjustment basis, I would make changes and tweaks constantly. This ‘fee per adjustment’ plan would result in plenty of appearance charges being used. Spending a ton of gems for a full kit just to tweak the color of my sylvari’s glow so it will match her new armor color scheme…no thanks, not buying those. I’d rather make a new character than buy a kit to tweak one small detail on an existing one.

This would allow for individual changes to be made as needed at a single charge per change instead of the system as it is now where one would need an entire Total Makeover Kit just to change your glow color so it goes with your new hair color or armor dye scheme.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Yeah, they should add the ability to change your glow to both kit types.

luchxtc.3706

I agree with your suggestion. However, as the system of using the hair vs total kits is not properly designed for what the game has become with its wardrobe and appearance additions, and adding glow color to the Self-Style Hair Kit could also cause additional issues as noted above, I’ll add this re-post to your suggestion as it addresses the core issue of appearance customization limitations.

From Ronah Lynda.2496’s suggestion thread.

Makeover Kits merged into the Hero Panel

A summary of details in the request:

• Makeover/hair kits removed from the Gem Store
  • Adjustments require Alteration Charges which are added at the same cost/amount as Transmutation Charges to the Gem Store
  • Charges are used on a ‘per-feature-adjustment’ basis

My reasons for supporting this request:
I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase “charges” (or whatever) to make frequent changes to my appearance. If charges are priced like current Transmutation Charges then I would welcome them and buy them often.

As it is currently, needing to spend far too much for a single kit to make a single adjustment to my appearance causes me to not purchase any.

If I were charged on a per-feature-adjustment basis, I would make changes and tweaks constantly. This ‘fee per adjustment’ plan would result in plenty of appearance charges being used. Spending a ton of gems for a full kit just to tweak the color of my sylvari’s glow so it will match her new armor color scheme…no thanks, not buying those. I’d rather make a new character than buy a kit to tweak one small detail on an existing one.

This would allow for individual changes to be made as needed at a single charge per change instead of the system as it is now where one would need an entire Total Makeover Kit just to change your glow color so it goes with your new hair color or armor dye scheme.

Hmm that’s an interesting idea except I don’t understand how it would work for people that have spent a lot of money on purchasing permanent hair style kits. I assume they would also need to separate alteration charges between hair based and body based which would probably make things even more complicated. And then what would happen to the permanent kits? would the permanent kits just be changed to grant you infinite charges? I’m not sure how they can work around this for such a feature. But at the current state I believe that Sylvari should still have the ability to change their glow in hair kits because it doesn’t make sense to not be allowed to change it just because glowing is also a feature of the rest of the body. In fact, very little people would want to change the glow in accordance to their body because the majority of time Sylvari are wearing armor covering their body and the connected glow. Thus the glow is only majorly seen on their hair and head rather than their body (with the exception of light armor female classes that show more skin when wearing certain armor, besides that every other sylvari is fully clothed and covering their skin and glow). Which supports my original idea that glow should be able to be altered in the hair kits.

luchxtc.3706

If they added glow to the kits then people would be complaining that skin color needs to be there too because it clashes with the hairstyle and glow colors. There has to be a line somewhere and quite frankly leaving the glow out is perfectly fine.

No one is complaining about skin colour. Skin colour is clearly for a total makeover kit and does in fact make sense to only be in the total kit. So that argument is irrelevant to this topic.

Posted by: sinnOcent.8130

sinnOcent.8130

I would love this to be included in the hair make over packs!

Posted by: Darty.7806

Darty.7806

I totally agree with Luch and Ajakun as well. It would make more sense if you could change your glow with both your hair and your skin separately. Adds more customization and flexibility.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

No one is complaining about skin colour. Skin colour is clearly for a total makeover kit and does in fact make sense to only be in the total kit. So that argument is irrelevant to this topic.

Its not irrelevant, though. If you’ve ever looked closely at many of the Sylvari hairstyles while also playing with skin color, you’d notice that skin color effects certain parts of Sylvari hair. Various secondary shades, the base or veins of leaves, most of the bark hair. Some styles more than others, there are a few where 90% of the actual hairstyle is based on skin color while the actual hair color only lends a secondary shading.

If a hair kit “needs” glow color because glow has an effect on the hairstyle, than skin color is in the exact same position. Skin color can have a vast effect on many Sylvari hairstyles, sometimes even moreso than the glow.

luchxtc.3706

Its not irrelevant, though. If you’ve ever looked closely at many of the Sylvari hairstyles while also playing with skin color, you’d notice that skin color effects certain parts of Sylvari hair. Various secondary shades, the base or veins of leaves, most of the bark hair. Some styles more than others, there are a few where 90% of the actual hairstyle is based on skin color while the actual hair color only lends a secondary shading.

If a hair kit “needs” glow color because glow has an effect on the hairstyle, than skin color is in the exact same position. Skin color can have a vast effect on many Sylvari hairstyles, sometimes even moreso than the glow.

The point is that the glow is in your hair, your skin isn’t.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

As Electro said, sylvari skin color is in the hair. It changes stem colors and shading.

I was neutral on the suggested change at the start of this thread, but now I do think hair kits should include skin color, for all races. It still doesn’t let you swap gender, face structure, musculature, and so on, but does fit the theme of the kit.

luchxtc.3706

As Electro said, sylvari skin color is in the hair. It changes stem colors and shading.

I was neutral on the suggested change at the start of this thread, but now I do think hair kits should include skin color, for all races. It still doesn’t let you swap gender, face structure, musculature, and so on, but does fit the theme of the kit.

Why is everyone taking this out of context? Your skin is your skin, if you wanted to change that you can change it in a total makeover kit. The topic of this thread is that the glow matters what colour your hair (i.e. the leaves/pine cone/ spikes/whatever) appears.

Posted by: Samhaim.8956

Samhaim.8956

Why is everyone taking this out of context? Your skin is your skin, if you wanted to change that you can change it in a total makeover kit. The topic of this thread is that the glow matters what colour your hair (i.e. the leaves/pine cone/ spikes/whatever) appears.

It’s not out of context, like they said and you can’t seem to understand, the skin color of sylvaris is present in their hair.
And no, i disagree that they should add glow to the hair kits, glow is not a stylish option, its somewhat of add-on of the sylvaris skin that appears at night. glow is like makings or patterns or tattoos, with a difference that it adds a little flair to the sylvaris hair, but that is not its main function.

Samhaiim ~ Thief