T6 Leather (Developer AMA on Reddit)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LadyHawk.5319

LadyHawk.5319

“8. T6 leather.. When can we expect a fix?

Historically we’ve done quite a few tweaks to supply when prices get outside the range we intended. But we’re going to hold off on that for a while. There’s actually a ton of supply of leather and flax. But apparently the trading price, while expensive, is not enough to get people to sell what they’re sitting on, or to farm them for profit. People have more wealth than they used to and it’s changing behavior. We want to give the market time to balance itself."

(souce: Dulfy.net)

Sooo, Anet acknowledges that T6 leather is expensive but wants ppl to sell theirs and more ppl to farm it? They decreased the drop rate last October, increased its required amount to convert it, increased the required amount in recipes and added it to each ascended insignia. I am speechless.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Why would they try to fix this when there’s a ton of supply? The price is higher because of simple Supply and Demand. People are sitting on their supply of leather. Nothing wrong with this.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

When leather automatically adds 20-30g to the price of all Exotic/Ascended gear, there is a problem. The reason people won’t sell it is because you need large quantities of it just to make a test build. It’s more efficient to stockpile what you find.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I’m wondering if people are sitting on it because it’s too scarce to sell, especially with the ridiculous acquisition imbalance (Going through high random loot content, I end up with ~1/4 the amount of Hard Leather as Gossamer when I go to refine. “I’m not selling this because it’s too expensive for me to re-buy when I need it again.”

As far as “Not farming it for profit” – there’s no way to do so!

Sartharina.3542

The techno themes of the newest legendary weapon is starting to drag, seeing that it shares the same theme with Astralaria, Predator, and H. O. P. E.

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

WvW has leather nodes now, this should help supply.

Cecilia.5179

Those nodes aren’t guaranteed to drop t6 leather, so that’s debatable.

Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

They’re not, but when the price is 80 silver for the refined leather, it’s not going to take much to move the needle.

Cecilia.5179

They’re not, but when the price is 80 silver for the refined leather, it’s not going to take much to move the needle.

Or everyone will hoard it, because we all need it.

#CleanTheSlate

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I would prefer for them to be targeting Silk, Gossamer, Mithril and Orichalcum prices, honestly.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I would prefer for them to be targeting Silk, Gossamer, Mithril and Orichalcum prices, honestly.

Silk is as cheap as never before ever since ascended crafting got introduced, gossamer is cheap as well. Mithril lost 70% of its value in the last 6 months, orichalcum about 50% of its value.
What are you talking about?

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Sartharina.3542

Silk is as cheap as never before ever since ascended crafting got introduced, gossamer is cheap as well. Mithril lost 70% of its value in the last 6 months, orichalcum about 50% of its value.
What are you talking about?

I think he’s saying that those material’s supply far exceeds the demand.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Historically we’ve done quite a few tweaks to supply when prices get outside the range we intended. But we’re going to hold off on that for a while. There’s actually a ton of supply of leather and flax. But apparently the trading price, while expensive, is not enough to get people to sell what they’re sitting on, or to farm them for profit. People have more wealth than they used to and it’s changing behavior. We want to give the market time to balance itself."

Sooo, Anet acknowledges that T6 leather is expensive but wants ppl to sell theirs and more ppl to farm it? They decreased the drop rate last October, increased its required amount to convert it, increased the required amount in recipes and added it to each ascended insignia. I am speechless.

Read the quote again.

• “There’s actually a ton of supply of leather and flax. "
  • “the trading price, while expensive, is not enough
    • to get people to sell what they’re sitting on,
    • or to farm them for profit. "
  • “People have more wealth than they used to and it’s changing behavior. "

People are willing to pay the premium for leather rather than getting it themselves. The market is balanced; it’s the psychology that’s changed because of all the new ways to increase one’s wealth. This is one of the side effects of AB/ML: people earn a lot of generic loot, which they sell and end up with plenty of coin — that makes them willing to pay more for mats rather than doing anything to gather those mats from outside the TP.

Accordingly, it’s tricky to change the sources or sinks, because it’s unclear how the market would react.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

“People have more wealth than they used to and it’s changing behavior.”

Surely their resident economist saw this coming when they decided to pay people 2 gold a day to log in and play.

LadyHawk.5319

Read the quote again.

• “There’s actually a ton of supply of leather and flax. "
  • “the trading price, while expensive, is not enough
    • to get people to sell what they’re sitting on,
    • or to farm them for profit. "
  • “People have more wealth than they used to and it’s changing behavior. "

People are willing to pay the premium for leather rather than getting it themselves. The market is balanced; it’s the psychology that’s changed because of all the new ways to increase one’s wealth. This is one of the side effects of AB/ML: people earn a lot of generic loot, which they sell and end up with plenty of coin — that makes them willing to pay more for mats rather than doing anything to gather those mats from outside the TP.

Accordingly, it’s tricky to change the sources or sinks, because it’s unclear how the market would react.

I appreciate your comments and while I agree that some people would rather buy from the TP, I don’t feel that that is the problem here. You will always have ppl buying from the TP in games. Sellers want that. Without that there would be no economy. Back in the 10/23/15 patch, they adjusted the T6 leather:

Some minor tweaks have been made to salvage tables to normalize output across all levels, and a small reduction has been made on tier 5 metal, leather, and wood, as well as a reduction on tier 6 leather and cloth.
Refining thick leather now results in 4 thick leather sections instead of 3.
Refining hardened leather now results in 3 hardened leather sections instead of 2.

Personally, I do meta events as well as other events all the time. I do Dragon Stand at least 4xs a day, for example. My MF is 232 (unbuffed) after 20 months of playing the game. After one DS, my average for T6 leather 3 pieces. I salvage everything. I have completed Agent of Entropy 614 times . Aside from farming all day to get multiple stacks of T5 leather for the toilet, what else is there to do for T6 leather?

They have had nearly a year for the “market to balance itself” and it has not, it continues to get worse. The math is broken. They took a machete on 10/23/15 when a scalpel would have sufficed. Of course now, if you want ascended gear, you can farm raids or fractals instead. Perhaps this is another way that Anet is ‘guiding’ the players to play those areas more? (insert sarcastic voice).

(edited by LadyHawk.5319)

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

I’m wondering if people are sitting on it because it’s too scarce to sell, especially with the ridiculous acquisition imbalance (Going through high random loot content, I end up with ~1/4 the amount of Hard Leather as Gossamer when I go to refine. “I’m not selling this because it’s too expensive for me to re-buy when I need it again.”

I know this is the case for me and guildies who’ve mentioned Hard Leather prices. Ditto Mystic Coins, for that matter. If I know I need things (or will in the future) and they’re expensive to buy and in scarce supply, I’m not going to sell them because that’s just beyond stupid.

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

(edited by Bellatrixa.3546)

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Personally, I do meta events as well as other events all the time. I do Dragon Stand at least 4xs a day, for example. My MF is 232 (unbuffed) after 20 months of playing the game. After one DS, my average for T6 leather 3 pieces. I salvage everything. I have completed Agent of Entropy 614 times . Aside from farming all day to get multiple stacks of T5 leather for the toilet, what else is there to do for T6 leather?

What kind of salvage kit do you use? Because, none of what else you mention in that paragraph matters one lick for your ability to get t6 leather from salvage. Only the “chance of rarer materials” given by the kit you use does.

~EW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

the “I’ll keep it cuz I don’t wanna rebuy it” people arent the target for the “people are sitting on their leather” comment. that’s referring to tp players sitting on 10k+ or so squares.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

LadyHawk.5319

What kind of salvage kit do you use? Because, none of what else you mention in that paragraph matters one lick for your ability to get t6 leather from salvage. Only the “chance of rarer materials” given by the kit you use does.

~EW

Silver-Fed-Salvag-o-matic and the Masters Kit before that.

Sartharina.3542

the “I’ll keep it cuz I don’t wanna rebuy it” people arent the target for the “people are sitting on their leather” comment. that’s referring to tp players sitting on 10k+ or so squares.

Why wouldn’t they sell it, knowing the “I’ll keep it cuz I don’t want to rebuy it” people who normally keep such prices down aren’t selling, and the price will continue to rise?

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

~EW

Silver-Fed-Salvag-o-matic and the Masters Kit before that.

In that case you honestly might be subject to bad RNG…. warning, incoming bunch of assumptions: The salvaging of salvage items (not armor) on the wiki states that if you get Hardened Leather, you’ll only get 1 piece. Likely that means when salvaging armor and when you’re lucky enough to get Hardened Leather, you’ll also most likely get one (if someone wishes to test this to make sure, then by all means). Since the Silver-Fed has a 25% chance at rarer mats, then to get an average of 3 t6 leather from salvage per DS run, you’d have salvaged an average of 12 pieces of leather armor (or salvageable hides). Perhaps the next time you do DH, and before you salvage, count how many pieces of leather armor you’re salvaging? It’s possible you might be salvaging less leather armor than you think… or, again, just bad RNG.

But, back to the other question you had earlier…. Another way to increase your leather gains is anytime you come across any creature in the world that can drop Salvageable Hides, Salvageable Pelts, and Hard Leather Straps… kill the mess outta them. (I think the wiki’s list of creatures that drop Hard Leather Straps is woefully incomplete… ’cause I think they can drop off of most humanoid mobs… but again, I could be wrong. At the very least humanoid mobs drop heavy sacks which can have t6 leather in ’em.)

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

Silk says “HAI!”…

Yeah, i agree, its another fine mess. Either way, by taking the stance that they did, it creates revenue in the gem-to-gold arena, so its a win/win…Just not to those that don’t make big enough paychecks to afford the gems.

When they said that, i wonder if they meant for us to begin tracking down the perpetrators of lavish T6 leather hoarding, and put them on the spot by name? rofl

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I know this is the case for me and guildies who’ve mentioned Hard Leather prices. Ditto Mystic Coins, for that matter. If I know I need things (or will in the future) and they’re expensive to buy and in scarce supply, I’m not going to sell them because that’s just beyond stupid.

Back when they were cheap they were too cheap to bother with selling. Right now they are too much of chore to re-obtain. The perfect spot would be having enough value to be worth selling but easy enough to obtain that I don’t have to feel like hoarding. I don’t think they have ever managed to achieve that with leather.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Yup. Leather was in a bad spot before they addressed it, but I don’t think they improved the spot its in at all. Instead of just saying that people are holding onto their leather, they need to be looking at why people are holding onto their leather. And a big part of that is because right now its too hard to farm leather (well it may be easier now with the nodes idk) so if you got rid of your supply, the only way you had to realistically get enough back to make anything in a reasonable amount of time was to buy it.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Yup. Leather was in a bad spot before they addressed it, but I don’t think they improved the spot its in at all. Instead of just saying that people are holding onto their leather, they need to be looking at why people are holding onto their leather. And a big part of that is because right now its too hard to farm leather (well it may be easier now with the nodes idk) so if you got rid of your supply, the only way you had to realistically get enough back to make anything in a reasonable amount of time was to buy it.

I don’t think 1 GH node is going to make that much difference.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I don’t think 1 GH node is going to make that much difference.

Depending on hoarded supply, ANet may have to move slowly to avoid too much panic selling that would drive the prices down too far.