T6 Leather still massively inflated

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Clearly there’s an ongoing supply and demand issue with hardened leather. I don’t understand why this hasn’t been properly addressed, even with the addition of the farm in Lake Doric. Are we going to see additional tweaks to drop rates, like everyone asked for months ago?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Their solution was to give players the means to control the prices which they did when you see that the price is about a third of what it used to be. There really isn’t a supply and demand issue going on at the moment.

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

It’s not a supply issue; it’s a demand issue. When you have full blown farms operating essentially non-stop and the price is still high, demand must be far in excess of supply. Strangely, you’re not complaining about the outrageous price of amalgamated gems or one of the other essential T6 mats which are at the same or nearly the same price level as hardened leather. Protip: currently it costs less to buy the final product than the hardened leather necessary to generate the final product.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Einlanzer.1627

It’s not a supply issue; it’s a demand issue. When you have full blown farms operating essentially non-stop and the price is still high, demand must be far in excess of supply. Strangely, you’re not complaining about the outrageous price of amalgamated gems or one of the other essential T6 mats which are at the same or nearly the same price level as hardened leather. Protip: currently it costs less to buy the final product than the hardened leather necessary to generate the final product.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been doing. A demand issue is a suppy&demand issue. It can’t be one without the other =P

Einlanzer.1627

Their solution was to give players the means to control the prices which they did when you see that the price is about a third of what it used to be. There really isn’t a supply and demand issue going on at the moment.

I’m not sure where you got this, but I don’t think it’s 1/3 of what it used to be.

Ayrilana.1396

I’m not sure where you got this, but I don’t think it’s 1/3 of what it used to be.

I said almost, but after taking another look at it, it’s probably closer to half. Regardless, the price has gone down significantly since they buffed that farm. It’s also become the more efficient way to acquire it outside of buying from the TP.

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been doing. A demand issue is a suppy&demand issue. It can’t be one without the other =P

It most certainly can be. Demand doesn’t have to increase for supply to decrease (think crop failure), nor does an increase in demand guarantee a decrease in supply or an increase in price (they keep pumping out those iPhones at the same price points).

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Posted by: Tiresias.6473

Tiresias.6473

Let’s be honest, guys:

This material is required in significant quantities, just like many other crafting materials, but the rarity of it is immense.

There’s no good reason for this. All materials should be (roughly) the same in difficulty to acquire.

It seems like an oversight that there aren’t nodes where you can harvest materials to make cloth scraps (i.e. plant fibers) and leather sections (i.e. animal bodies) like so many other MMOs.

Main character: Winter Harvest (Necromancer)
[BICE] Black Ice / Maguuma Server

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Clearly there’s an ongoing supply and demand issue with hardened leather. I don’t understand why this hasn’t been properly addressed, even with the addition of the farm in Lake Doric. Are we going to see additional tweaks to drop rates, like everyone asked for months ago?

Yea, Idk what the problem is but I’m pretty sick of it.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

Let’s be honest, guys:

This material is required in significant quantities, just like many other crafting materials, but the rarity of it is immense.

There’s no good reason for this. All materials should be (roughly) the same in difficulty to acquire.

It seems like an oversight that there aren’t nodes where you can harvest materials to make cloth scraps (i.e. plant fibers) and leather sections (i.e. animal bodies) like so many other MMOs.

This is exactly what I think is missing in this game. If not nodes, then cloth dropping from humanoids and leather from creatures. It makes no sense to me the way it’s set up here.

I really resent having to take up a character slot with a permanent Lv 50 character just to open bags for that tier cloth & leather. That’s just not right.

(edited by Nikal.4921)

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

The only way I really see it going down is if ascended recipes require less T6 materials. It won’t be sought after as much then.

Certified Gameaholic

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

We will have to wait and see how the leather problems are addressed in PoF. A-net can decide the drops of future enemies but changing the current ones would greatly effect the economy. Not all materials should take the same amount of time to be gathered.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

It most certainly can be. Demand doesn’t have to increase for supply to decrease (think crop failure), nor does an increase in demand guarantee a decrease in supply or an increase in price (they keep pumping out those iPhones at the same price points).

But it is a supply & demand issue.

Because if supply increases at the same rate, then there’s no issue.

You can’t separate supply from demand when talking cost of an item. When people just reference one, it’s implied that the other is static.

And neither necessities or iPhones operate on a truly free economy. Necessities are controlled to a decent extent by the government. Apple sets the price for the iPhone from them. Those that resell them right away aren’t going to sell them for less than they got them.

GW2’s economy opens pretty much with no restrictions other than you must buy or sell for at least the amount that you would earn from selling to vendor in profits.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Clearly there’s an ongoing supply and demand issue with hardened leather.

I can’t agree. The supply is huge; I can buy all I need, whenever I want. People are just willing to pay extra to avoid farming their own.

It is more accurate (and an easier issue to address) to say that many people do not like the market value, because (a) it’s so much higher than we were used to and (b) it’s not comparable to cloth or metal (although the difference is far less extreme).

ANet can easily refute & ignore the claim that there’s a supply issue, that it’s “massively inflated”. They can’t as easily ignore a statement about the market cost sucking the pleasure of playing out of the game. The first is a factual statement (which isn’t technically true); the second is a statement of opinion by the customer.

All materials should be (roughly) the same in difficulty to acquire.

Why? That’s a design preference and imo makes for a less interesting game, both in terms of playing it and its global economy.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Don’t we get to choose the category of materials to salvage in PoF? I mean they had those named caches, or whatever they were called, so you could choose what kind of mats you received.

Perhaps, that will help address the issue. /shrug

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

How can there still be threads about this…

Like idk what to do with my leather, I end up just putting it on the TP or giving it away to people crying that its so hard to acquire.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

I said almost, but after taking another look at it, it’s probably closer to half. Regardless, the price has gone down significantly since they buffed that farm. It’s also become the more efficient way to acquire it outside of buying from the TP.

I will point out that even half the old price is still more expensive than gossamer, orichalcum, and ancient wood combined.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

A friend of mine was finishing her crafting to level 500 yesterday and had to buy something like 50g of leather just to make one set of exotic armor which sells for about 10g on the trading post because of bad stats.

Our guild has been stalled on upgrades for over a year because every upgrade is now over 100g of leather thanks to the ongoing drought that did not exist at Heart of Thorns release when other people levelled their guild halls.

New players coming to the game who play mediums almost cannot afford any gear. A basic set of gear on my new Thief cost 100s of gold if I were to buy or craft it directly and that is for the exotics. I ended up having to use cheap “named” equipment to sidestep this cost so that I could play lv80 content.

I am tired of this. Exhausted.

And don’t talk to me about farming. Farming leather in this game is a huge snoozefest, its only implemented in one farm in one map.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Einlanzer.1627

A friend of mine was finishing her crafting to level 500 yesterday and had to buy something like 50g of leather just to make one set of exotic armor which sells for about 10g on the trading post because of bad stats.

Our guild has been stalled on upgrades for over a year because every upgrade is now over 100g of leather thanks to the ongoing drought that did not exist at Heart of Thorns release when other people levelled their guild halls.

New players coming to the game who play mediums almost cannot afford any gear. A basic set of gear on my new Thief cost 100s of gold if I were to buy or craft it directly and that is for the exotics. I ended up having to use cheap “named” equipment to sidestep this cost so that I could play lv80 content.

And don’t talk to me about farming. Farming leather in this game is a huge snoozefest, its only implemented in one farm in one map.

Precisely. All the people acting like this isn’t a problem above are blowing my mind. It clearly is the case that t6 leather is overpriced due to insufficient supply for the demand, and that this is bad for the game.

Players should not be more or less forced to spend real money on gold just to have access to a reasonable supply of a relatively mundane material used in a ton of stuff.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Forced to spend real money for gold? Man I play very minimally and still can pay for what leather I want, especially now that it has dropped. Or I could (very hard to understand I know) go and farm some, and pay for the rest I need.

Ayrilana.1396

I will point out that even half the old price is still more expensive than gossamer, orichalcum, and ancient wood combined.

And?

Einlanzer.1627

Forced to spend real money for gold? Man I play very minimally and still can pay for what leather I want, especially now that it has dropped. Or I could (very hard to understand I know) go and farm some, and pay for the rest I need.

Maybe this is because you are a veteran player? Tier 6 leather used to be about 1/10th the cost it is now.

Yargesh.4965

Maybe this is because you are a veteran player? Tier 6 leather used to be about 1/10th the cost it is now.

That I used up a long long long time ago. So I am at the same amount of leather as anyone.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Made a new Thief this past weekend. He’s wearing full Exotic Zerker armor that cost me 0 gold because I spent a few hours farming Airship Parts in Verdant Brink. Spending 100s of gold on Exotic gear is not something anyone should be doing.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Einlanzer.1627

That I used up a long long long time ago. So I am at the same amount of leather as anyone.

Yeah, but if you used it up a long time ago, it was on things that you needed/wanted, which a newer player doesn’t have the option for.

Yargesh.4965

Yeah, but if you used it up a long time ago, it was on things that you needed/wanted, which a newer player doesn’t have the option for.

Vast majority went to 2 private guild halls. Not something I would recommend to new players.

Einlanzer.1627

Made a new Thief this past weekend. He’s wearing full Exotic Zerker armor that cost me 0 gold because I spent a few hours farming Airship Parts in Verdant Brink. Spending 100s of gold on Exotic gear is not something anyone should be doing.

A bit of hyperbole, perhaps, but it doesn’t really matter. The fact is that hardened leather, a mid-high level “common” mundane material that is used in a lot of recipes in large numbers, costs more in the market than a glob of ectoplasm – an exotic rarity material used in small quantities in high level crafting.

The fact that anyone is defending this as okay or normal is absolutely ridiculous.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

With the imbalance between the T5 and T6 materials I have decided to not bother crafting exotic armour. I believe that the real solution is to balance the required number of scraps and sections, 2 cloth scraps and 2 leather sections for all tiers.

Restore balance that way first then changes to drops/salvage rates can be adjusted and sinks can be introduced as required.

Similarly they need to balance the recipes better. As it is you need 8 cloth scraps and 30 leather sections for a Gossamer insignia. That imbalance is part of the reason why Gossamer is dirt cheap and leather so expensive.

Then, after undoing the harm their changes did, they should “lock” down the recipes and not fiddle with them anymore.

mtpelion.4562

A bit of hyperbole, perhaps, but it doesn’t really matter. The fact is that hardened leather, a mid-high level “common” mundane material that is used in a lot of recipes in large numbers, costs more in the market than a glob of ectoplasm – an exotic rarity material used in small quantities in high level crafting.

The fact that anyone is defending this as okay or normal is absolutely ridiculous.

It is okay, since they added a way to directly farm it. You don’t have to spend a single copper on hardened leather now, you can get all you will ever need without ever opening the trading post.

Einlanzer.1627

It is okay, since they added a way to directly farm it. You don’t have to spend a single copper on hardened leather now, you can get all you will ever need without ever opening the trading post.

No it isn’t. If that was working as intended, it would have driven the price down a lot more than it has.

Ayrilana.1396

The recipes that it’s primarily used in are exotic armor and exotic bows. There’s of course some needed for legendary crafting. There are others but they’re not commonly used.

When it comes to exotic armor and weapons, there are plenty of other ways to acquire them without having to resort to crafting.

mtpelion.4562

No it isn’t. If that was working as intended, it would have driven the price down a lot more than it has.

The fact that most players choose to continue using the Trading Post rather than farm their own does not impact the working status of the solution, nor does it mean that additional changes are necessary. The option is present, yet players have proven that they prefer to pay high prices rather than farm materials which renders your argument that the price is “too high” invalid.

Ayrilana.1396

It only drives down the price if enough players that don’t need it list them on the TP and enough players that need it actually farm it rather than buy off the TP. That farm still remains an effective way to obtain T6 leather.

Djinn.9245

Not all materials should take the same amount of time to be gathered.

Why shouldn’t all T6 materials have similar rarity and time to gather? If not why are they all the same level?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Djinn.9245

Like idk what to do with my leather, I end up just putting it on the TP or giving it away to people crying that its so hard to acquire.

You might not craft with leather, that’s great for you. But we’re talking about the prices of T6 leather vs. other T6 mats which I guess you haven’t noticed.

Djinn.9245

With the imbalance between the T5 and T6 materials I have decided to not bother crafting exotic armour. I believe that the real solution is to balance the required number of scraps and sections, 2 cloth scraps and 2 leather sections for all tiers.

Restore balance that way first then changes to drops/salvage rates can be adjusted and sinks can be introduced as required.

Similarly they need to balance the recipes better. As it is you need 8 cloth scraps and 30 leather sections for a Gossamer insignia. That imbalance is part of the reason why Gossamer is dirt cheap and leather so expensive.

Then, after undoing the harm their changes did, they should “lock” down the recipes and not fiddle with them anymore.

I agree – fix the mistake they made and get rid of the stupid “leather farm”.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Most replies are simply “it works fine for me, therefor it is not broken”.

Please log out of the forums, other people are talking.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Yargesh.4965

Most replies are simply “it works fine for me, therefor it is not broken”.

Please log out of the forums, other people are talking.

You are aware what an open forum is?

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

This indicates a massive disconnect between amount required in recipes and how easy it is to get through fairly regular gameplay. In layman’s terms, this means it indicates a problem with supply or demand. One of them still should be addressed.

As for amalgamated gemstones: they aren’t comparable to leather at all. Their uses are:

• 20 for a MF skin
  • 1 each for every legendary weapon precursor
  • 250 more for each 2nd gen legendary weapon

A very small amount of skins even require them, plus they are required in fairly small quantities. Now with leather, its needed in every or nearly every armor/weapon recipe at this point, on top of needing it in fairly high quantities. The 2 mats are not comparable

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

You might not craft with leather, that’s great for you. But we’re talking about the prices of T6 leather vs. other T6 mats which I guess you haven’t noticed.

You are right, I hadn’t noticed because I have more materials then I know what to do with because this game gives everything for minimal effort to the players.

Djinn.9245

You are right, I hadn’t noticed because I have more materials then I know what to do with because this game gives everything for minimal effort to the players.

I’m glad that you get so much for minimal effort, but I’m certain you have no idea how much effort it takes for all the players. In fact for me it is very difficult to get certain materials.