Lamest Ending in Gaming History in my view

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Anwar.2018

Anwar.2018

Ok, so I finish everything but the bonfire visit early, didn’t know Arenanet decided to cut the time in half for completion…they replied to lots of concerned players and said it would be back up “tomorrow” to finish the event…wasn’t back up till the day after. Today I heard it was ready to finish.

FINALLY I can finish that 2 month long turkey, go to Lion’s arch and NO mark on map as to where it is. Call out, get a few smartass “answers” but finally find it (it’s where you turned in all the lost items).

Interact and nothing…nothing at all…no cutscene, no buffs, no rewards, no coin, no title, only way you know you were in the right place is that that section is marked done.

That has got to get the reward for the lamest ending to a long event in gaming history.

: )

(edited by Anwar.2018)

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Ok, so I finish everything but the bonfire visit early, didn’t know Arenanet decided to cut the time in half for completion…they said it would be back up “tomorrow” to finish the event…wasn’t back up till the day after.

FINALLY I can finish that 2 month long turkey, go to Lion’s arch and NO mark on map as to where it is. Call out, get a few smartass “answers” but finally find it (it’s where you turned in all the lost items).

Interact and nothing…nothing at all…no cutscene, no buffs, no rewards, no coin, no title, only way you know you were in the right place is that that section is marked done.

That has got to get the reward for the lamest ending to a long event in gaming history.

They said when it would be introduced the buffs it had would be gone. It did have buffs, it did have an icon on map.

Attachments:

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Had a great buff if you did it when it came out. They took the buff out, because they’re leaving the fires up for longer now.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Not going to goalie this one.

They dropped the ball on it. Endings to chapters matter in RPGs, especially if you want the player to feel like they are part of something or that they matter. Not worried about reward, but they should have put a scene in here with Roxx and little boy lost.

See original ending to ME3.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

“Lamest ending in gaming history” you say? I’m guessing you never played Pac-Man

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

What the… What? The DUNGEON was the end of the event, and the dungeon was awesome. You expected something past that? Did you even notice that Rox and Braham parted ways at the very end?

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

killcannon.2576

What the… What? The DUNGEON was the end of the event, and the dungeon was awesome. You expected something past that? Did you even notice that Rox and Braham parted ways at the very end?

It obviously wasn’t the “end” since the end happened with activating the bonfire. You are confusing end with climax.

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

Touching the bonfire is the epilogue at best. The dungeon is absolutely the true end of the story. Just because it ends on a high energy moment doesn’t mean it isn’t the end.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

The Dungeon has a pretty epic ending imo. I guess they didn’t need to add more to it with the bonfire. There was also 2 cutscenes after the dungeon in the Charr and Norn towns for closure.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

And here I thought we would be having a random conversation on Mass Effect 3.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

Posted by: Archmortal.1027

Archmortal.1027

Still a better ending than ME3.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Mass Effect 3.

/15characters

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

And here I thought we would be having a random conversation on Mass Effect 3.

good one.

killcannon.2576

The Mass Effect 3 ending is exactly my point, thanks for catching on.

Throughout the game you take part in one battle after another, each more heroic than the last, you lose friends and squadmates (poor Mordin..sob) along the way, resolve conflicts, overcome challenges, have a final drink on top of the Citadel.

The climax can happen at different times for different people, the overall climax gameplay wise though was the battle to get to the Citadel. But this indeed was not the end, in the same way that the Molten Weapons Facility was not the end of F&F. The end was for F&F was the bonfire, where you should be catching up with your friends, celebrating your victories, and feeling good about yourself overall.

Instead….you click a bonfire. In ME3 you click a color.

Both left me wondering wtf?

Edit: Yes, I know the story isn’t over. Still lame for a chapter end imo. Hope it’s better next time.

(edited by killcannon.2576)

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

It wasn’t the end. The story hasn’t finished yet.

You’re compaling about something that’s similar to Bilbo doing the dishes after the Dwarf tea party in the first chapter of the Hobbit.

It’s not the ending. It’s an intermediate step in a much longer story.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Vayne.8563

I think Anet dropped the ball here too. Yes, there was a climax and an ending in the two scenes that were in the chapter before the bonfire….so what was actually the purpose of the bonfire. If the bonfire was lit in the last part, after the two scenes no one would have had a word to say.

All that happens here is that you can talk to the people you brought the lost items too and they say different things now. Tell you about their updated plans now that the alliance was defeated. But in reality, this was just badly done.

You don’t need a whole upgrade just for that.

killcannon.2576

It wasn’t the end. The story hasn’t finished yet.

You’re compaling about something that’s similar to Bilbo doing the dishes after the Dwarf tea party in the first chapter of the Hobbit.

It’s not the ending. It’s an intermediate step in a much longer story.

There’s a difference between mindless negativity, and constructive criticism.

If I had said " Zomfg!! Anet was trying to sell you the ending in the gemstore, all theyz wantz is the moar moneyz!! It’s a conspiracy with all the big bads!!". Now, I think most of us can recognize that just isn’t the case, and that is a form of what mindless negativity is.

Complaining in a constructive manner, where you clearly state either real identifiable problems, or well thought out opinions, with a clear goal of debate instead of advancing an agenda, is what the people on these forums should strive for. This goes equally for both camps.

By letting Anet have some well structured feedback on what some of us thought of the bonfire part of F&F, they will have more information going forward on how to structure future Living Story segments that may be more appreciated by all of the community.

(edited by killcannon.2576)

Posted by: Control Core.1079

Control Core.1079

Mass Effect 3 cough.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Well, I guess it’s OK since ME3 evidently had a worse one. As long as you’re not the worst, it’s just fine to be awful.

:/

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Not going to goalie this one.

They dropped the ball on it. Endings to chapters matter in RPGs, especially if you want the player to feel like they are part of something or that they matter. Not worried about reward, but they should have put a scene in here with Roxx and little boy lost.

See original ending to ME3.

There was nothing wrong with the original ending of ME3 and bioware shouldnt have gave in ( sheep on forums playing along with the others that didnt like it because they have no mind of their own…just like shown in this thread..) Anyways..demanding a different ending from a gamecompany that deliverd 3 Works of art …? People are Nuts imo….Players should have accepted what bioware did and move on,but instead they act like crybabies over one of the best game series in history.But in here..guild wars can definetely do better than this…i honestly never feel connected with anyone in this game telling whatever story,i simply am not able to care about any of it.It feels rushed usually..Would love to see more Actual cutscenes,not 2 ppl facing each other standing stiff and talking in monotome voices about something i do not care.

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

Archmortal.1027

There was nothing wrong with the original ending of ME3

Yes there was. There was a LOT wrong with it. Everything from how out of place it was thematically (which was VERY out of place- it doesn’t live up to nor exemplify any of the recurring themes in any of the three games leading up to that point, rather it contradicts a couple of them), to the fact that it was written by two people who didn’t allow input from the rest of the writing team that more than likely would have told them exactly How Much was wrong with it, to the fact that even in the state the endings were in before the updates it would have been better writing in general to not include arbitrary things like the Catalyst.

Bioware spruced it up exactly because they recognized that a critical mistake was made, regardless of their own integrity and faith in those two writers (of which they had plenty and expressed it publicly even while releasing the updated endings). Bioware had enough faith in those two writers and that they wrote a good ending that the endings themselves didn’t actually change and instead were simply expanded on to give players a better sense of closure. It’s still a bad set of endings and they still contradict the themes of the entire series leading to them.

And this thing you complain about people doing… being crybabies over a “work of art”? That’s called feedback. Regardless of what it sounds like to you when others do it, you are doing the same thing now by saying “but in here, guild wars can definitely do it better.” It amounts to the same thing. You are giving feedback by saying ANET could have had better closure to this chapter. It’s no different from when people told Bioware they could have had better closure to their Mass Effect series. It only seems different to you because your opinions of quality are different from those of other people.

The feedback people gave Bioware about ME3’s endings was just as valid and important as the feedback you’re giving ANET about this chapter’s ending. Please don’t say people can’t think for themselves just because some of them share a similar opinion.

So yeah, we ended up having that conversation about ME3 after all. My bad.

(edited by Archmortal.1027)

Posted by: MattMesa.8401

MattMesa.8401

I just personally don’t feel anything for the “story” anet is telling me. It could be me. I watched every scene and read all the dialogue leveling my three 80’s and I just never felt that connected to any of it. I’m not a big “mmo story” person though; I prefer MMO’s for the game itself so it may just be lost on me.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

As has been said the bonfire was an epilogue. The dungeon was the end of that story arc.

killcannon.2576

People keep using the word epilogue, it does not mean what you think it means, there is no extra story, there is no wrap up, there are no conclusions from clicking the bonfire.

Definition in link

http://tinyurl.com/beq5a2r

Vayne.8563

I just personally don’t feel anything for the “story” anet is telling me. It could be me. I watched every scene and read all the dialogue leveling my three 80’s and I just never felt that connected to any of it. I’m not a big “mmo story” person though; I prefer MMO’s for the game itself so it may just be lost on me.

I don’t think so. A lot of people had trouble connecting with it. It’s a very different type of story than that found in single player games.

Also, the story was greatly variable, depending on your choices. Some of the charr stories, for example, are better to me than most of the human stories. I like the norn stories too. But the human stories not so much.

Yargesh.4965

People keep using the word epilogue, it does not mean what you think it means, there is no extra story, there is no wrap up, there are no conclusions from clicking the bonfire.

Definition in link

http://tinyurl.com/beq5a2r

It satisfies all the requirements. You could at one point talk to various NPCs and get a form of closure if you would like to use that word instead.

Archmortal.1027

Yeah, same here. The lore I love. I could read MMO world lore all day. But when I actually “experience” it in-game… eh. It always leaves a lot to be desired in comparison.

Yargesh.4965

Personally I think they have improved with southsun. There is the rolling rebellions and crazed beasts running around. This to me gives it a little more meat than with the periscopes/flame portals. If they advance this over the 2 weeks instead of leaving it static it would be perfect.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

There was nothing wrong with the original ending of ME3

Yes there was. There was a LOT wrong with it. Everything from how out of place it was thematically (which was VERY out of place- it doesn’t live up to nor exemplify any of the recurring themes in any of the three games leading up to that point, rather it contradicts a couple of them), to the fact that it was written by two people who didn’t allow input from the rest of the writing team that more than likely would have told them exactly How Much was wrong with it, to the fact that even in the state the endings were in before the updates it would have been better writing in general to not include arbitrary things like the Catalyst.

Bioware spruced it up exactly because they recognized that a critical mistake was made, regardless of their own integrity and faith in those two writers (of which they had plenty and expressed it publicly even while releasing the updated endings). Bioware had enough faith in those two writers and that they wrote a good ending that the endings themselves didn’t actually change and instead were simply expanded on to give players a better sense of closure. It’s still a bad set of endings and they still contradict the themes of the entire series leading to them.

And this thing you complain about people doing… being crybabies over a “work of art”? That’s called feedback. Regardless of what it sounds like to you when others do it, you are doing the same thing now by saying “but in here, guild wars can definitely do it better.” It amounts to the same thing. You are giving feedback by saying ANET could have had better closure to this chapter. It’s no different from when people told Bioware they could have had better closure to their Mass Effect series. It only seems different to you because your opinions of quality are different from those of other people.

The feedback people gave Bioware about ME3’s endings was just as valid and important as the feedback you’re giving ANET about this chapter’s ending. Please don’t say people can’t think for themselves just because some of them share a similar opinion.

So yeah, we ended up having that conversation about ME3 after all. My bad.

No need to go into that discussion "again"been there done that.,i said what i said,no need to try and convince me otherwise ..if you didn’t understand my post i suggest you to read it again.I stick by what i said,and always will.

Posted by: Dessan.9420

Dessan.9420

I actually liked the ME3 ending (after extended cut that is)

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Frankly at this point I could care less about anything Biowarez.

What is bugging me though is that I´m still unsure what the heck happened with this “meltdown” Alliance.
And yes I have all the achievements, watched all convos and usually love MMO/CRPG lore, but this whole “arc” simply evaporated over these last 4 months.

The only thing I now remember it for is, that it was conceptually needed by ANet´s content crew to trap the refugees in the Consortium´s pyramid scheme on Southsun Cove.

Meh.

Polish > hype

(edited by HawkMeister.4758)

Posted by: Mujen.5287

Mujen.5287

It obviously wasn’t the “end” since the end happened with activating the bonfire. You are confusing end with climax.

I don’t think you know what climax means.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

You’ve clearly never played Mass Effect

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

darkace.8925

Throughout the game you take part in one battle after another, each more heroic than the last, you lose friends and squadmates (poor Mordin..sob) along the way, resolve conflicts, overcome challenges, have a final drink on top of the Citadel.

The climax can happen at different times for different people, the overall climax gameplay wise though was the battle to get to the Citadel. But this indeed was not the end, in the same way that the Molten Weapons Facility was not the end of F&F. The end was for F&F was the bonfire, where you should be catching up with your friends, celebrating your victories, and feeling good about yourself overall.

Edit: Yes, I know the story isn’t over. Still lame for a chapter end imo. Hope it’s better next time.

Here’s where I feel you’re going wrong. You’re disappointed the “ending” was a bonfire. The “ending” was actually the Molten Facility and boss fight. The stuff with Rox and Braun that happened after that was “epilogue”. The bonfire part neither, it was “interlude”. It was just a brief “between chapters” thing that happened to give out a buff and an achievement. Or at least that’s how I looked at things.

killcannon.2576

Perhaps you could explain it to me? Most of the feedback I have seen in game, on forums, and in the press was that the MWF was the highlight/best part of the F&F story arc. Had the most action, the most challenge, and most reward of that chapter.

If I go look up the definition for reference it would be
Climax: The point of greatest intensity or force in an ascending series or progression; a culmination

I could be wrong, but it seems that MWF would fit the term climax.

If it was the END to you or anyone else, fine by me. It wasn’t to me.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Perhaps you could explain it to me? Most of the feedback I have seen in game, on forums, and in the press was that the MWF was the highlight/best part of the F&F story arc. Had the most action, the most challenge, and most reward of that chapter.

Climax: The point of greatest intensity or force in an ascending series or progression; a culmination

Just be careful googling that word lol

I agree the bigger stuff like the dungeon was the climax and beating the dungeon entirely and when it was destroyed. After that was the small reward and culmination of everything. A brief interlude between F&F and Southsun beginning.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

killcannon.2576

Here’s where I feel you’re going wrong. You’re disappointed the “ending” was a bonfire. The “ending” was actually the Molten Facility and boss fight. The stuff with Rox and Braun that happened after that was “epilogue”. The bonfire part neither, it was “interlude”. It was just a brief “between chapters” thing that happened to give out a buff and an achievement. Or at least that’s how I looked at things.

Then the interlude blew chunks. Any way you want to slice it, call it interlude, call it end, call it epilogue, call it lemon sherbert, it left a lot to be desired.

But feel free to keep telling Anet it was great, maybe we can get more compelling parts to the living story just like it in this episode.

killcannon.2576

Just be careful googling that word lol

I agree the bigger stuff like the dungeon was the climax and beating the dungeon entirely and when it was destroyed. After that was the small reward and culmination of everything. A brief interlude between F&F and Southsun beginning.

lol

darkace.8925

Then the interlude blew chunks. Any way you want to slice it, call it interlude, call it end, call it epilogue, call it lemon sherbert, it left a lot to be desired.

But feel free to keep telling Anet it was great, maybe we can get more compelling parts to the living story just like it in this episode.

It didn’t say it was great. I didn’t say it was bad. It was what it was.

I don’t know exactly what you wanted for an interlude that closes one chapter of a story before another is opened? Did you want Blue Angels to fly overhead, doing aerial-acrobatics to the guitar riffs from Crazy Train? Did you want a lazy and fireworks show while Santa passed by on his float throwing out precursors and candy? Did you want Zhaitan to rise from the dead and attack Lion’s Arch so the heroes of Tyria could rally once more to overthrow evil?

You got a climax with the dungeon. You got an ending to the story with the cut scenes in Hoelbrak and the Black Citadel. What more was needed? A better question is in what way did the bonfire take away from the aforementioned climax and resolution?

Vayne.8563

I felt relatively let down by it, and you know, I’m a fan boy. Ask anyone. lol

killcannon.2576

I don’t know exactly what you wanted for an interlude that closes one chapter of a story before another is opened? Did you want Blue Angels to fly overhead, doing aerial-acrobatics to the guitar riffs from Crazy Train? Did you want a lazy and fireworks show while Santa passed by on his float throwing out precursors and candy? Did you want Zhaitan to rise from the dead and attack Lion’s Arch so the heroes of Tyria could rally once more to overthrow evil?

You got a climax with the dungeon. You got an ending to the story with the cut scenes in Hoelbrak and the Black Citadel. What more was needed? A better question is in what way did the bonfire take away from the aforementioned climax and resolution?

I don’t consider it an interlude? or an epilogue, or lemon sherbert, I considered it the end of the F&F chapter of the Living Story.

You may have got the ending with the two sentences Roxx and little boy lost said to you, but I expected more, and I expected it at the bonfire. If you felt happy with it, that’s great.
I’m not trying to change your mind, and I’m just stating mine. Let’s leave it at that shall we?

Vayne.8563

I don’t consider it an interlude? or an epilogue, or lemon sherbert, I considered it the end of the F&F chapter of the Living Story.

You may have got the ending with the two sentences Roxx and little boy lost said to you, but I expected more, and I expected it at the bonfire. If you felt happy with it, that’s great.
I’m not trying to change your mind, and I’m just stating mine. Let’s leave it at that shall we?

I can’t believe I agree with you. I’m going to go check my temperature. lol

killcannon.2576

I can’t believe I agree with you. I’m going to go check my temperature. lol

I normally agree with you Vayne, we just butt heads sometimes over certain issues we each feel passionately about. It’s what the forums are for though, really. If we all agreed with each other all the time, not very many ideas would come about and nothing would ever be hashed out. If I put out a suggestion here, it’s your, and everyone else’s, job to look at it critically and discuss it.

Recently, there seems to be a big push to dismiss things out of hand too often. (not saying you do this)

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

There are plenty of other games out there with worse endings. I wouldnt say this ending was lame, but poorly implemented. Anet went from one extreme of a scene between two characters and a background all the timhaving to talk to people everywhere to basically get the ending.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

In my view, the bonfire or the dungeon wasn’t the end. It was just the pause button. We still don’t know who was behind the alliance in the first place. It certainly wasn’t Gaheron. Who took over the reigns for him, the Flame Legion presses on and someone is making the decisions.

The dungeon bosses were protoypes and probably the largest Charr/Dredge specimens we’ve seen so far. Something is cooking there, many loose ends.

Now we get filler with what’s going on with the refugees after this incident. Displaced and unruly in Southsun.

I’m willing to bet that somewhere down the road after many of these arcs we get the “BLAAAT BAMMMM MOFOS” effect with finding out all the things we didn’t know about during Flame and Frost. A “Luke, I am your father” moment like…as it turns out, ROX was actually behind it. She had been recruited by secret Flame Legion Sect to orchestrate the whole thing, someone in her warband found out and she killed them all becoming gladium. When their plans start to go sour with their armies being slaughtered and info being obtained from prisoners, a new plan is hatched…get in good with Rytlock. All of this was just a distraction while the real plan was being put into place, buying time to open a portal to the UW and other realms to once again unleash a sleeping titan.

I still remember being duped by the lich king in the flameseeker prophecies.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Lamest ending for me was/is the forced dungeon virus, I done GW1 dungeons to death and always had fun even when the dailies weren’t after a particular, I’d happily help. How can I do this with the cheap Borderlands 2 (we can’t do difficulty) dungeons? 1 billion hp’s = difficult.

I always looked forward to the daily being a dungeon in GW1. In this game…lets face it, me and my hamster don’t talk much!

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

the whole darned thing is just waste to me. I mean seriously why would they make temporary unrepeatable content when they had such a poor reaction to the southsun cove single day intro. (hands up) I dunno either.

Paul the forced dungeon thing especially a temporary one is definitely very very kitten imo, it’s more of the same nothing new, certainly not the open world stuff we were promised and definitely not exciting.

Like the bosses in the last FF LS, why give players abilities if the bosses are all immune and why make a dungeon like this temporary at all? Weird imo.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

tigirius you totally missed the point of my post.

hehe totally kidding.

I have to admit I have to agree with you and if you wanna go back far enough I moaned about about crap drop rates with you. The drop rates are kitten, new players are up a certain creek when they hit 80, I have alts and still my recent Guardian got t0 80 in number only. Exotics, forget it.

There should be at least a point of achieving 80 (jump through the hoop Bob)

I have 7 alts telling me I’m a knob because I don’t use the Gems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmtsXAmKSkA

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Well I was actually going to post another observation i noticed about the little events they have all over, for Fire and Frost, every time you kill those small groups of FF LS enemies (the flame legion and the moleys) they disappear before you can get their loot if you complete it, no running away no staying long enough to die so it was just another annoyance with the whole thing. No testing = these kinds of bugs get thru the workings.

So we got no testing going on (PTR) in the most successful way ever created in mmo games not being used, we got temporary unfinishable content for some, we got loot problems (not RNG when it’s lopsided 98% of the time) When is it enough?

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Personally found the Zaitan Press 2 to win ending far worse, but yes i found F & F to be a huge let down from start to finish, even the dungeon wasn’t overly exciting to me as it was to others..

Strangely not since Halloween have i actually enjoyed Guildwars 2 content…