TP: Sell in small amounts or sell Bulk?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: eugenstash.8610

eugenstash.8610

Curious if anyone knows whether or not the tax for selling goods is cheaper if you sell in bulk or whether the 15% tax is the same amount if you sell 3 out of 15 items 5 separate times or just sell all 15 at once.

Thanks in advance

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

There is no difference.

15% of 100, for example, is no different than 15% of ten lots of 10.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

I did a little math. Unless my math is wrong (which it usually isn’t but hey I’m only human) it seems more profitable to sell in bulk rather than numerous small quantities, but not by much. If you are talking in small quantities and small prices (say 4 silver for each individual item or 40 silver for a bundle of 10), you will see a difference of maybe 1 copper. But if you are dealing with large quantities and/or large prices, the difference will obviously be more.

Again, not by a lot, but selling in bulk seems more profitable than selling the same quantity in multiple smaller bundles.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: Raptorcheese.7053

Raptorcheese.7053

SMALL, but depends on what you deemed small. If you sell a large amount of items , someone might undercut you.. Or many people might undercut you, so you might have to remove and re list to actually sell your items. Sell in chunks , especially during non peak hours, prices climb !

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

Short answer : It’s not that simple.

Long answer : Sell goods so you do not get undercut.

On markets where goods move at high speed (ectos/raw materials/T5 and T6 fine mats …) you want to sell at best offer minus 1 copper and in large bulk. They will be bought quickly and by selling in bulk you avoid the “1 copper difference” in fees.

On markets where items get exchanged painfully slowly (dyes/low level armours etc…) you want to sell in small bulks (large bulks will encourage people to undercut you) with a nice price cut (so potential buyers buy your goods quicker), because being undercut in these types of market can be very punishing (you’ll probably need to lower your prices meaning you pay the listing fee twice).

Note : an item listed at 3.99 silver sells much faster than the same item listed at 4.00 silver. Basic marketing rule.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

(edited by VodCom.6924)

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Curious if anyone knows whether or not the tax for selling goods is cheaper if you sell in bulk or whether the 15% tax is the same amount if you sell 3 out of 15 items 5 separate times or just sell all 15 at once.

Thanks in advance

Concerning fees and taxes it only matters if the overall value of your listing is less than 20 copper because the minimum listing fee is 1 copper.
As the listing fee is 5% but will always be at least 1 copper, if the overall value of your listing is less than 20 copper, the 1 copper listing fee will be higher than 5% of it.

If the overall value of your listing is below 10 copper, the sales tax also becomes more than 10% for the same reasons.

So if you are listing a single item for 2c (the lowest amount you can list for on the tp, if it has no vendor value), you will effectively pay 50% listing fee (1c) and 50% sales tax (1c).

If you list 10 of those items for 2c each (20c overall value), you end up paying 5% listing fee (1c) and 10% sales tax (2c).
So in that case, it would be more profitable to sell in bulk.

However, i just played around a bit ot check out when sales tax and listing fee go up after 20c overall value.

If i list a single item at 24c, i still only have to pay 1c fee and 2 copper taxes.
Thats only 4.167% listing fee and 8.334% sales tax or 12.5% overall.
If I list 10 of those items at 24c for an overall value of 240c, I pay the intended % of fees and taxes again, at 12c and 24 copper respectively.
In that case, it would be more profitable to sell by single listing.

So if you list 10 items as single listings compared to listing in bulk at 24 copper, you pay 2 copper listing fee and 4 copper sales tax list less.
However, I am not sure, if those 6 coppers saved will be more valuable to you than the extra time investment you need to make ten listings instead of 1.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: eugenstash.8610

eugenstash.8610

Thank you everyone for the information, really appreciate the responses!