[TP] Whose mucking with Soft Wood Planks?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

In the last week supply on the TP is up 50% while prices have dropped by 2s. Is there a fire sale I don’t know about? I don’t care what the projected profit is, if nobody is buying due to all the undercutting, nobody is making the projected profit. In the last 24hrs the price is off another 1/2 silver.

Honestly this is as silly as when players were bidding up green wood logs while undercutting soft wood planks. Surprise, whatever site that said this was good money, it’s not anymore.

Wanze is this your doing?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

massive drop in tier1 wood probably caused it. I dont’ know why tier 1 woodspike a month ago. Maybe everyone is in silverwaste that time. But the quick droped in tier 1 wood might cause the tier2 wood to drop. Maybe the double exp and 9.99$ promotion brings many people to the low level zone.

Tier 2 wood price is tied to tier1 wood price BTW due to promotions.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/19723

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Lots of new players atm logging it hard in queensdale probably killed prices for both T1 and T2 wood.

But yes it really is Wanze’s fault :P

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Behellagh.1468

I know I’ve been watching it for days now but in the last 12 hours it got zany with large (over 1000) amounts dropped 10-15c less than current bid followed by a series of 1c undercutting until the next large drop 10-15c less.

It’s a darn fire sale. It reminds me of the pork belly scene in Trading Places. “They’re panicking out there, I can feel it.”

RIP City of Heroes

Behellagh.1468

Having 85 out of the 13K I sold over the last 10 days stuck on the TP at prices that it won’t be returning to any time soon (but it almost did 12 hours ago and them BAM, price cut frenzy) is minor compared to the gold I made.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It was probably due to the influx of new players during the massive cut-price sale going out and harvesting in the starter maps, driving the price of green wood down. Some enterprising players then spotted the profit margin between green wood and soft plank, and took advantage of that. Unfortunately, too many people jumped on the bandwagon and now there’s a glut of soft wood with too few buyers.

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

I probably have some blame in this.

I am a severe Ascended crafter… Every 2 weeks or so I must refill my reserve (guild bank) with 3-4 stacks of each material needed. And this I will buy on a bid.

Although, I do feel the needs to bonk someone over the head listing 1 piece of the item at the top bidder’s asking price. Talk about throwing people off and lunging them into buying almost 3 times the price when our bids are being bought in stacks.

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The daily could also be leading to the drop in tier 1 log prices. Queensdale has been the first place that I go and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one.

EDIT: I keep editing this. I vaguely remember Tuesday’s daily being the Krytan logging one. The drop started right when Tuesday’s daily reset.

https://www.gw2tp.com/item/19723-green-wood-log

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I dunno waddaya talking about!

Attachments:

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Behellagh.1468

Yeah, any region logging is right off the city so that’ll be T1.

But here’s the thing, as the T1 price was falling, there was no need to lower the price of the T2. Expand your profit margin, not keep the profit the same by dropping the T2 price. But the “I want my money and I want it almost now” means undercutting, thinking that you will now be first, until 10 seconds later when you get undercut.

But the price of the T2 is dropping in steps, permanently (well it’s not returning at least to it’s previous price, yet) rather than a short dip, only a fool would try to get in on it even with estimated 3g and change per SP.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

laokoko.7403

But here’s the thing, as the T1 price was falling, there was no need to lower the price of the T2. Expand your profit margin, not keep the profit the same by dropping the T2 price.

Maybe your 13k softwood is blocking someone’s sale…

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

But here’s the thing, as the T1 price was falling, there was no need to lower the price of the T2. Expand your profit margin, not keep the profit the same by dropping the T2 price.

And then it snowballs after that.

laokoko.7403

And then it snowballs after that.

At least we know who to blame now…

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

But yes it really is Wanze’s fault :P

No, according to the topic title, it’s not Wanze but his evil twin brother Whose.

20 level 80s and counting.

Behellagh.1468

No, it was over 10 or so days. I waited at least 2 hours after my previous batch (300-500) sold out before I put more up for sale. The 85 remaining was from my last batch of almost 500 I put up for sale.

I knew when I put it up that I wasn’t going to be processing anymore anytime soon as the price was in free fall and buyers knew it. So instead of taking anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour to sell (include those that undercut my price by a copper or two) it took 5-6 hours to sell 85% of them. I was undercut by a copper or two almost immediately with posts of several thousand items.

I’m actually surprised I sold as much as I did.

Edit: And of course I was kidding about Wanze. Only mentioned him due to his “market manipulation” threads.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Gudy.3607

Gudy.3607

Yeah, any region logging is right off the city so that’ll be T1.

Not for me, because I need T2 to T4 materials much more than I need T1. So:
Ascalon? Diessa Plateau.
Kryta? Southsun Cove (mostly for foraging or mining, less so for logging), Bloodtide Coast or Gendarran Fields.
Shiverpeaks? Lornar’s Pass or Dredgehaunt Cliffs.
Maguuma Jungle? Brisban Wildlands (I have one character stationed in Dry Top).

Behellagh.1468

In which case you are pulling in SWLs directly and either selling or crafting them into planks, if you have the right crafting ability.

RIP City of Heroes

Wanze.8410

In my opinion the main culprit is in fact new players. I started to notice more t1 common mats coming in during wintersday (i think there also was a discount on gw2). The introduction of new dailies certainly had some influence as well around that time, as more people spread around the maps instead of lurking about in SW, which mostly awards t5-6 mats.
With the HoT announcement and the 75% off sale, alot of new players started the game and existing players started new accounts, so alot of t1 mats are coming in, which people promote. I am not too concerned about undercutting as I have enough gold to wait until my listings actually sell, once the player demographic changes (the bulk of new players moves on to higher level maps), a new update creates additional demand or the players, who sold me their t1 and t2 mats now, actually create their own demand in bulk, once they reach level 80 and pursue their ascended gear.

Atm, i still have around 5k soft planks listed (between 5.97s and 9.54s from the last 2 months) and a couple of thousand planks more unlisted.
Right now, i stopped listing more but i still buy and promote green wood to take advantage of the cheap prices in order to sell it at a later stage, once prices recovered. I usually store the planks in guild storage for a couple of weeks until i run out of space, then I either list at lowest listing, if the price recovered enough for me or i list at 1 or 2 silver higher.

Attachments:

Behellagh.1468

FYI: The break even price for soft wood planks when green logs are at 47c is 5s5c.

Only 20c to go, I know you all can do it.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

I know I’ve been watching it for days now but in the last 12 hours it got zany with large (over 1000) amounts dropped 10-15c less than current bid followed by a series of 1c undercutting until the next large drop 10-15c less.

It’s a darn fire sale. It reminds me of the pork belly scene in Trading Places. “They’re panicking out there, I can feel it.”

The lumber dailies perhaps? Enough players get it, it could give that much of a supply boost.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The lumber dailies perhaps? Enough players get it, it could give that much of a supply boost.

I would bet that’s a big part of the reason. Most people are going to port to the nearest zones outside a city and harvest either green or soft wood, then sell it. I know that’s what I do for these dailies and there are always others running around doing the same thing. For mining, I go to my home instance and get 90% then one node outside.

In addition there are all those new accounts leveling chars and chopping green and soft wood.

Dailies and new accounts together can be the reason for a lot of this rise in supply.

laokoko.7403

I think it’s still roughly 2+ gold per skill point assuming average output of 86.3 per promotion, it was 6 gold before Behellagh post and let everyone know about it.

Let’s keep it going!

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

definitely Wanze

Astral Projections.7320

definitely Wanze

/puts on tin foil hat

Wanze is John Smith. He posts here so he can discuss things with himself and he uses that account to change supply and prices on the trading post.

Muwhahahahaha

/takes off tin foil hat

Wanze.8410

definitely Wanze

Less than 10% of the supply on the tp are mine…
I also started transmogrifying Opal Orbs for profit, who would have thought of this ever happening, huh?

laokoko.7403

I only sell 6 stack a week. You guys are too greedy. I blame Wanze and Behellagh

kitten, I need to take my sale down again because Wanze and Behellagh is undercutting.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Astral Projections.7320

As soon as I posted the suggestion that Wanze = John Smith, my iPad froze and had to be rebooted. Was that you? Did I take off my tin foil hat too soon?

(>.>) (<.<) (>.>)

Wanze.8410

As soon as I posted the suggestion that Wanze = John Smith, my iPad froze and had to be rebooted. Was that you? Did I take off my tin foil hat too soon?

(>.>) (<.<) (>.>)

One of us leveled up, might have been the knockback blast.

Wanze.8410

I only sell 6 stack a week. You guys are too greedy. I blame Wanze and Behellagh

kitten, I need to take my sale down again because Wanze and Behellagh is undercutting.

I already mentioned that i dont sell at these prices, my lowest listing is at 5.97s and i just listed another batch around 7s. Its people like you that relist, if some of their listings fail to sell, that drive the prices down.
But its always easier to blame someone else for its own misfortunes, i guess.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

I cut all the wood i need for my ascended weapons. Not going to make the rich richer.

Astral Projections.7320

Hmmm. I wonder if the new maps will have these lower tier nodes or just the T5 and T6.

If not, then unless there is new items to craft using them, then won’t we see the T5-6 go down and the T1-4 go up as people make ascended gear but don’t want to spend their time farming in the old maps?

This might effect cooking also if people want to make food but don’t want to run to old maps to harvest those nodes.

Behellagh.1468

I hadn’t posted any for sale for about a day before I started this thread. As I said low sell was already too volatile for my sensibilities.

I didn’t mind the drop in price for green logs but the fire sale on soft wood planks is still blowing my mind. Yes anyone who harvested soft logs doesn’t really care about keeping the price up if they turn them into planks but the margin is being squeezed out for MF promoters.

It looks if green log bids have stabilized between 45-50c each but soft wood logs low sell prices are on the express elevator to hell, going down.

RIP City of Heroes

Astral Projections.7320

“It looks if green logs have stabilized between 45-50c each but soft wood logs are on the express elevator to hell, going down.”

Time to buy and hold?

Behellagh.1468

I think it’s still roughly 2+ gold per skill point assuming average output of 86.3 per promotion, it was 6 gold before Behellagh post and let everyone know about it.

Let’s keep it going!

I’m more conservative. I go with 82 1/3rd. One third of a 250 stack minus one for the catalyst. I also use 15 2/3rds for stack size 50 promotions like fine.

RIP City of Heroes

Behellagh.1468

“It looks if green logs have stabilized between 45-50c each but soft wood logs are on the express elevator to hell, going down.”

Time to buy and hold?

Don’t know. Before Silverwastes they were about 5s each with 100K supply on the market. We may just be returning to status quo.

RIP City of Heroes

laokoko.7403

I already mentioned that i dont sell at these prices, my lowest listing is at 5.97s and i just listed another batch around 7s. Its people like you that relist, if some of their listings fail to sell, that drive the prices down.
But its always easier to blame someone else for its own misfortunes, i guess.

Your 7 silver is undercutting my 7.50! I only sell once a week, and you are undercutting them!!

Oh my god, you guys! shake head. Sad face =(

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Astral Projections.7320

Time to buy and hold?

Don’t know. Before Silverwastes they were about 5s each with 100K supply on the market. We may just be returning to status quo.

There is a sharp rise in price and drop in supply starting beginning of November and returning to lower prices at the end of January. Neither date matches the new dailies or the new accounts. The start does match with Echoes of the Past and opening of the Silverwastes, where everyone and their dog went to play and farm bandit badges. Maybe it has to do with that and farmers abandoning their old farms.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Hard wood has also fallen down last week to where it was in october

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Behellagh.1468

I guess Silverwastes are over for the masses so bye-bye actual demand. New players mean a spike in green log supply which opened a short term window for big profits and now some players don’t know when to stop.

RIP City of Heroes

laokoko.7403

I guess Silverwastes are over for the masses so bye-bye actual demand. New players mean a spike in green log supply which opened a short term window for big profits and now some players don’t know when to stop.

If you didn’t make a post about it, maybe the profit wont’ shrink this much. The profit was still 6 gold per skill point when you made this post.

Behellagh.1468

Only 3.12g per SP according to my calculations but you use a larger average promotion output than me. And your drop rate only yielded 4.1g per SP.

I posted at 5:19 am EST and green logs had a high bid of 46c at 5:17 am EST and soft planks had a low sell of 5s83c and the same time. Data from GW2TP.com.

Doing the math means 750 green logs cost 3.45g plus the 50-60c for the shimmering dust as your cost while you sold your promoted planks for 86.3 × 5.83s x 0.85 so 82.11s profit for 0.2 SP. 5 times that is about 4.1g, not 6g.

And it was 6 1/2 hours after my post until Soft plank started it’s big nose dive today of over 50c in an hour. So it’s not me dude check the price drop over the last week. From 7.7s to 5.83s before I even posted.

RIP City of Heroes

laokoko.7403

I posted at 5:19 am EST and green logs had a high bid of 46c at 5:17 am EST and soft planks had a low sell of 5s83c and the same time. Data from GW2TP.com.

Doing the math means 750 green logs cost 3.45g plus the 50-60c for the shimmering dust as your cost while you sold your promoted planks for 86.3 × 5.83s x 0.85 so 82.11s profit for 0.2 SP. 5 times that is about 4.1g, not 6g.

And it was 6 1/2 hours after my post until Soft plank started it’s big nose dive today of over 50c in an hour. So it’s not me dude check the price drop over the last week. From 7.7s to 5.83s before I even posted.

ya those number looks correct. I dont’ know why I think it’s 6g before. Maybe I look at google sheet too fast, or brain fog memory, or google sheet didn’t update.

I think the profit is now 2.77 per skill point? Assuming green wood log 0.44 soft wood plank 5.32? 86.3 average output?

I see other people use 86.3 as average out put. I’m not sure why. But I personally get a bit over that number too, so I dont’ think that’s a problem.

That being said, I dont’ think the number have been that low 2.77gold per skill point! We know who to blame to showing people the secret now!

ZOMG! Those people with thousands of skill points going to undercut you now!

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Arietta The Broken.1875

Arietta The Broken.1875

If anyone remember CaSH from GW1.. he’s back.

RIP TP<3

You’re dumb. You’ll die, and you’ll leave a dumb corpse.

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

I know the conversation has moved on, but FWIW when the Krytan logging daily comes up I go to Bloodtide Coast. There are always a few trees near the LA entrance and the chance for some coriander too.