Tab Targeting Shenanigans

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Virri.1789

Virri.1789

Anyone else feel that tab targeting is broken or am I alone on this one?

Whenever I make the horrible decision to tab target it always targets either the furthest mob or a completely harmless unaggroed neutral mob while I’m covered in a sea of hostiles. I just don’t understand why it’s so particular in it’s useless/out-of-range target acquisition?

Maybe, it’s just me and I’m an idiot, and I’m using it wrong, but when I played THE MMO WHICH SHALL NOT BE NAMED and used tab-targetting it worked how I expected it to. It never cherry picked the unaggroed mob that’s picking his nose on the other side of the hallway.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Nope I have the same issue with it.
No I dont want to attack the champion in front attacking me but that dolly off in left field, Yes Sir.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I have sadly played lots of games that work the same way. Closest angle first, the distance.

Also, “losing” my target as I’m circle strafing.

Posted by: Amon.5042

Amon.5042

Yeah, that’s another thing that needs fixing. The downed state is even more borked. I often can’t target anything.

Posted by: Skyrant Kangaroomouse.7458

Skyrant Kangaroomouse.7458

Industry standard is to target in combat with you and closest target first. If not in combat then traget then closest aggressive mob. Not attacking, non aggressive targets should be the last thing that gets targeted EVER.

This ha proven to be the most intuitive and solid solution.

“The DR System is not restricting players, it just here to help them realize how they want to play!”

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

I changed my tab to target the closest enemy. Anything else I manually select to target. Works fine I guess.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

Posted by: Virri.1789

Virri.1789

Just accidentally wiped my group in CM explore mode with tab targeting…

FUN.

Posted by: Azerack.7285

Azerack.7285

Not only do I get annoyed when I cannot even tab to said mob right in front of me… But also, for the times when I play any of the ranged classes and my character feels the need to, after killing the mob in front of me, immediately tab to another target and let off one more blast.

But wait.. I was on auto-attack? Are you saying my auto-attack is buffering? and then I am auto-targeting as well???

I have a couple games where I can use “C” as “target closest” and it does work… GW2, not so much… might need a little looking into…

This post has been edited to remove a violation of the forum code of conduct.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Player.9621

Player.9621

the autoattack and res forcing needs some tuning

(edited by Player.9621)

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

I don’t even use tab targeting anymore because of this. Never had this stupid problem in GW1..

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

ArenaNet really should work on this, put some rules in place for how they prioritise tab targeting.

Posted by: Jezath.7395

Jezath.7395

agreed i just never ever use tab tagetting in this game anymore after the first couple of tries ended in disaster

Tis not what they can do for you
Tis only what you can do for all

Posted by: Ageia.5843

Ageia.5843

I have sadly played lots of games that work the same way. Closest angle first, the distance.

Also, “losing” my target as I’m circle strafing.

I don’t have an issue with tab target…but this! I have serious problems with. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to stop strafing with 4-8 things chasing me to retarget and of course, die.

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Tab targeting gets me in trouble in pve, but in pvp it gets me to learn other classes… let me explain:

I tab target every type of turret in the game before the actual engineer, which helps a lot learning the finer details of turrets.

I also tab target every illusion, so I can count them precisely before deciding to go for the mesmer in the end.

I have tab targeted more ranger pets that can be tamed by now, but some of those were maybe summoned birds from skills or so.

Tab targeting tought me what wonderfull looking creatures Elementalists sometimes conjure.

Tab targeting shows me the beauty of pvp.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Jezath.7395

lol kimbald, im spittin out me popcorn! Yes losing target sucks is there alock target feature?

Posted by: Wolfend.5287

Wolfend.5287

I stopped tab targeting. Attitude targeting lets players engage multiple enemy at once to lock-down an entire pull, and yes, re- acquiring a particular target for focus. Positioning is everything; this isn’t the typical WoW clone, stand around, target tabbing, skill spamming to tab next, skill spamming, target next… kinda game.

Jezath.7395

pls can you explain this better?

Posted by: Wolfend.5287

Wolfend.5287

Appears ArenaNet is using “The Witcher II” targeting system: face a target and hit it, dodge-roll face another target hit it. Dodge to another, engage cc, face another cc…. though GW2 still needs some work to reach W2 level of polish.