Take a breath regarding changes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TexRob.5183

TexRob.5183

So, hear me out. Everyone is talking about time gating this and that, but it’s not been 24 hours since the new content changes. Before you had a handful of people with high magic find with the old model. Before long, you’re going to have a very large part of the community with 100+% magic find. Guess what, this is going to affect precursor and other T6 and T7 mats drop rates. Arenanet, contrary to people who like to poop on everything will say, pays attention to their game, and the players concerns. If you can’t see that they do, maybe you’ve not played other games lately. If you look at where this game is from when it came out, they have made tons of well thought out changes.

My point of all of this is, lets see how increased magic find across the board affects these things before freaking out. I have a feeling the precursor market is going to get better because of the across the board magic find increase. Before it was the rich getting richer, with a handful of the most geared characters getting more loot. This increase to magic find across the board should, to put it simply, increase the middle class in GW2.

Tex Rob 80 War [RICH] GoM

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Increased MF will not help with precursor drops.

Trust me, with a very high MF before the patch, exotics and rares were not raining from the sky. Just an increase in blue/greens and higher level crafting materials (T5 instead of T4 for example).

Besides, most of the player base whined about MF and about how useless it was. That is why they removed it in the first place. Not sure how rewarding them with an extra free 20% MF made sense, but who really cares.

Don’t over estimate the value of MF.

TexRob.5183

Trust me, with a very high MF before the patch, exotics and rares were not raining from the sky. Just an increase in blue/greens and higher level crafting materials (T5 instead of T4 for example).

Besides, most of the player base whined about MF and about how useless it was. That is why they removed it in the first place. Not sure how rewarding them with an extra free 20% MF made sense, but who really cares.

Did you have 300% MF before the patch? Nope. We’ll see, maybe I’m wrong, I’m just saying, lets see what happens.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

There is no reason to believe that higher MF will affect any given type of drop. You have to remember that MF represents a chance at increased X but exists within a loot system bound by it’s own rules. MF means nothing without the context of a loot system and Anet can make it a wasteland or the big rock candy mountain. Whether MF will meaningfully affect, say, precursors, is a complete unknown and I see no benefit to making stuff up about it.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Most of those currently come from boxes, bags and event chests, which are nit affected by MF. And current estimations on capping MF are somewhere above 4 million points.
So no, I don’t expect it to help any.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Jordy.1570

Jordy.1570

magic find is a hoax

25 stacks magic find didnt change anything….

(edited by Jordy.1570)

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

magic find is a hoax

No its not, its magic!

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Did you have 300% MF before the patch? Nope. We’ll see, maybe I’m wrong, I’m just saying, lets see what happens.

Southsun. Yep… He did. 300% magic find as the base cap did not come out of nowhere. Not to say it is a hoax not to say it does not work. It does. But it will not solve the precursor problem. It will help on the exotic drop problem. But not solve it.

http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php?title=1252:_Increased_Risk

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

(edited by anzenketh.3759)

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

MF will not help with precursor drops, yes, but MF absolutely did work in the long-run and with a large enouh sample size.

Check sig for proof.

Also, MF alone doesn’t help you get exotics. High MF + lots of mobs and tagging does in the long run.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i had more than 300% mf during the secret of southsun… and the exotic drops for me was the same as ever…
i guess they can increase magic find through all the players and adjusting the loot table accordingly… so no, i don’t think they want us to be richer, they want us just to be ready for asia

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

MF will not help with precursor drops, yes, but MF absolutely did work in the long-run and with a large enouh sample size.

Check sig for proof.

Also, MF alone doesn’t help you get exotics. High MF + lots of mobs and tagging does in the long run.

So in other words, a slot machine with a prettier interface? Still sad to me that so many people are content with this kind of game design in mmorpgs.

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

Check sig for proof.

So in other words, a slot machine with a prettier interface? Still sad to me that so many people are content with this kind of game design in mmorpgs.

As long as they make $$$$ out of it.They will continue to implement it.

Vol.5241

Check sig for proof.

I’m content cause I see the big picture. You are so heavily focused on “RNG is bad” that you don’t even realize that RNG is an alternative for those that want it.

Want that exotic? Go buy it on the TP. That’s a guaranteed way to get it.

There are also exotics that can be acquired for a guaranteed amount of karma, gold, badges and dungeon tokens.

Although, yes, ideally it would be nice if every skin in the game can be acquired through different means.

[Permabanned on Forums]

xephire.8324

Check sig for proof.

I’m content cause I see the big picture. You are so heavily focused on “RNG is bad” that you don’t even realize that RNG is an alternative for those that want it.

There are also exotics that can be acquired for a guaranteed amount of karma, gold, badges and dungeon tokens.

Although, yes, ideally it would be nice if every skin in the game can be acquired through different means.

Nobody wants RNG

Vol.5241

Check sig for proof.

Nobody wants RNG

I don’t mind RNG. At least it’s an alternative available.

RNG is for those who are willing to gamble that they will have to spend less than the guaranteed amount.

There is a reason why gambling is a billion dollar industry.

[Permabanned on Forums]

xephire.8324

Check sig for proof.

Nobody wants RNG

RNG is for those who are willing to gamble that they will have to spend less than the guaranteed amount.

RNG for cheap dyes nty…

Vol.5241

Check sig for proof.

Nobody wants RNG

RNG for cheap dyes nty…

Would you rather have nothing to show for failure, or at least have something given to you for failure?

[Permabanned on Forums]

TexRob.5183

I’m honestly asking, but if people say increased MF will increase exotic drops, why will this not increase precursor drops? I am no expert, so maybe there is something I don’t know about that you all do.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Check sig for proof.

As long as they make $$$$ out of it.They will continue to implement it.

This is true. As long as they make money at it, they will continue to implement it. And if they’re making money at it, then obviously not everyone is against it…or they wouldn’t be making money. Everyone would have packed up and left. Everybody hasn’t.

And the last time I checked, most business were in business to make money. I never really did think Anet was making this game out of the goodness of their hearts. They were making a product to make money.

If it was as bad as you keep saying it is, they wouldn’t be making money.

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Check sig for proof.

The “big picture” is subjective in nature since it is a problem of perception. I can assume that you mean that players like rng because of it’s very nature of uncertainty. It is a thrill to gamble for some people, if it wasn’t as you said gambling would not be a multi billion dollar industry. The problem I have with it in video game design is that it is used as an appeal to the human condition in very subversive ways in order to simply keep people playing as opposed to actually designing well thought out content. The game design “best practices” that are commonly accepted today are intentionally manipulative, it just so happens that rng is one of these practices that we can easily point to and compare to other real life scenarios such as gambling. Sure people do things willingly, but that could be said of people who fall for con artists or scams or addicts who are compelled. They participate willingly but are deceived as to the intention of the thing they are involved with either through subversion or self deception.

Posted by: SoDeep.1739

SoDeep.1739

I’m honestly asking, but if people say increased MF will increase exotic drops, why will this not increase precursor drops? I am no expert, so maybe there is something I don’t know about that you all do.

The odds of getting a precursor is like winning the lottery. If you have 300% MF its like having 4 tickets to the lottery. There is a higher chance of winning. This does not conclude there will be more precursors that drop since the odds are very slim and the variance is still incredibly high. Its not like going from 1/200- 4/100. You are going from something like 1/1,000,000,000- 4/1,000,000,000. I do not know the odds of a precursor dropping from a dirty little skirt., but you get my point.

Hexevine- Sylvari Elementalist
Devonas Rest
“I’m rough and I’m tough and I’m king of the Maguuma Jungle”

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

Hang on, why will MF not help with precursor drops?

Sure, it’s not going to change them from being as rare as hen’s teeth to as common as goblin droppings. But once a large slice of the population are running around with 50%, 100%, and more MF, there absolutely must be more precursors dropping and entering the economy.

Nobody wants RNG

You may not want RNG, but I would say that observing what has been popular in ARPGs and MMORPGs for a couple of decades now, a lot of people obviously do want RNG.

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

When you have almost 0 chance to get something, 300% increase to almost nothing is still almost – nothing.

You may get bit more blues/greens though

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Hang on, why will MF not help with precursor drops?

Sure, it’s not going to change them from being as rare as hen’s teeth to as common as goblin droppings. But once a large slice of the population are running around with 50%, 100%, and more MF, there absolutely must be more precursors dropping and entering the economy.

Nobody wants RNG

You may not want RNG, but I would say that observing what has been popular in ARPGs and MMORPGs for a couple of decades now, a lot of people obviously do want RNG.

Lot of MMOs are actually saying bye to RNG alone and moving to some form of guaranteed reward along RNG. Like dungeon tokens/chests in GW2.

So what you actually could say is that some degree of RNG is fine, but just RNG (like precursors) is not fine (them talking about precursor crafting)

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by MikaHR.1978)

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

When you have almost 0 chance to get something, 300% increase to almost nothing is still almost – nothing.

You may get bit more blues/greens though

Almost 0 chance multiplied by a whole lot of players = a bunch of precursors on the Trading Post.

If there were 300% more precursors, what effect do you think that will have on the market price?

(of course, there wouldn’t be, since they don’t all come from drops, plenty of them come from not-affected-by-MF sources like the mystic forge – but still, supply will increase as average account MF increases)

TexRob.5183

LoL, I can’t reply to just one, because so many don’t understand basic math. Others have also replied to tell you all you’re being silly as well, but let me reiterate:

Lets say it was 1 in a million to get a precursor, that’s still a chance, and that means that you now have a 3 in a million chance. I didn’t say the market would be flooded, but that IS an increase, it WILL affect price. It might not sound like much, but you have to realize, even if it’s rare, that’s still the potential for 3x more entering the market from ONE person. “But wait, there’s more!” Since everyone is going to have higher magic find overall, it’s going to increase the chance of these dropping for everyone, which is going to increase the number on the market.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I’m one of the people who’s taking notice of more than one negative aspect of the coming updates (and those around the corner) however if the loot algorithm is truly fixed for those of us who had these issues with loot, while at the same time allowing people to increase their magic find permanently I do see that as a positive thing. It will improve the drops for everyone who does this for their account. I’ve been logging in to see if the loot has improved on my toon since the new patch has come out and it does seem to have improved especially in Orr. So we’ll see if this trend keeps going.

However that doesn’t change the problems concerning combat, PVE imbalance, lack of Anet trinity, large list of ui elements missing from this game (of which LFG was only the tip of the iceberg) etc.

We’ve been telling them about these problems for the better part of a year now some of which have been problematic since before the game launched so yeah we’re tired of waiting on some of them actually.

So, hear me out. Everyone is talking about time gating this and that, but it’s not been 24 hours since the new content changes. Before you had a handful of people with high magic find with the old model. Before long, you’re going to have a very large part of the community with 100+% magic find. Guess what, this is going to affect precursor and other T6 and T7 mats drop rates. Arenanet, contrary to people who like to poop on everything will say, pays attention to their game, and the players concerns. If you can’t see that they do, maybe you’ve not played other games lately. If you look at where this game is from when it came out, they have made tons of well thought out changes.

My point of all of this is, lets see how increased magic find across the board affects these things before freaking out. I have a feeling the precursor market is going to get better because of the across the board magic find increase. Before it was the rich getting richer, with a handful of the most geared characters getting more loot. This increase to magic find across the board should, to put it simply, increase the middle class in GW2.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m one of the people who’s taking notice of more than one negative aspect of the coming updates (and those around the corner) however if the loot algorithm is truly fixed for those of us who had these issues with loot, while at the same time allowing people to increase their magic find permanently I do see that as a positive thing. It will improve the drops for everyone who does this for their account. I’ve been logging in to see if the loot has improved on my toon since the new patch has come out and it does seem to have improved especially in Orr. So we’ll see if this trend keeps going.

However that doesn’t change the problems concerning combat, PVE imbalance, lack of Anet trinity, large list of ui elements missing from this game (of which LFG was only the tip of the iceberg) etc.

We’ve been telling them about these problems for the better part of a year now some of which have been problematic since before the game launched so yeah we’re tired of waiting on some of them actually.

I’m glad it improved for you, and hope it stays that way. You may not have picked it up, but I genuinely sympathiezed with your plight. Hopefully the worst of it is behind you.

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

magic find is a hoax

- If your base chance is 0.001 and you have +50% magic find, then the odds of dropping are 0.0015. We don’t know what the base chance is, so magic find percentage is meaningless. When was the last time you got a rare item from random drop?

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

I would run near 300% MF before this update. Ran well over 300% during the Southsun event.

I wasn’t trying to say MF does not work. I was just simply trying to say I wouldn’t expect a huge influx of precursors because of it.

MF is worthwhile and affects a lot of smaller things more than it affects exotic drops. This adds up over time to a lot of $$.

Running that high of a MF does not make it rain rares or exotics contrary to whatever anyone else may lead you to believe. I ran high MF long enough to know that exotics are still pretty darn hard to come by with 300% MF.

Honestly, I think with people throwing less exotics and rares into the forge (salvaging for ascended crafting materials for ascended weapons) you may see a possible decline in the number of precursors on the market. Just a WAG though.

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

I would run near 300% MF before this update. Ran well over 300% during the Southsun event.

I wasn’t trying to say MF does not work. I was just simply trying to say I wouldn’t expect a huge influx of precursors because of it.

MF is worthwhile and affects a lot of smaller things more than it affects exotic drops. This adds up over time to a lot of $$.

Running that high of a MF does not make it rain rares or exotics contrary to whatever anyone else may lead you to believe. I ran high MF long enough to know that exotics are still pretty darn hard to come by with 300% MF.

It doesn’t have to rain oranges, though, not when your market size is fairly large to begin with. If the average MF goes up across the board, then the number of available exotics and precursors are still going to go up across the board even if the odds are rather finite. If demand remains steady, prices go down.

It’ll probably take a while to settle down, but I’d imagine gw2spidy should give us a good picture in a month or two.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

TexRob.5183

I don’t know how to explain this any more than I have. You guys don’t seem to get that 3x something is still 3x the number. So if there are 100 precursors on the TP, there will be roughly 300 if everyone has 300% magic find, taking nothing else into consideration and simplifying. It doesn’t matter if it’s 0.000000000001 percent, because the multiplication is relative. Do you guys get it yet?

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

I don’t know how to explain this any more than I have. You guys don’t seem to get that 3x something is still 3x the number. So if there are 100 precursors on the TP, there will be roughly 300 if everyone has 300% magic find, taking nothing else into consideration and simplifying. It doesn’t matter if it’s 0.000000000001 percent, because the multiplication is relative. Do you guys get it yet?

*Mystic Forge. You are assuming all pre’s come from drops, but some percentage is MF’d and isn’t affected by Mf gear (anymore).

Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

The precursor market is going to be non-existant in 3 to 4 months because Anet is going to let people make their own precursors.

fellyn.5083

This is partialy true but mostly wrong.

People complained about others going into dungeon groups with full magic find sets to leech off others only for their own benefit.

It was (and still is) a selfish stat and shouldn’t have been on gear from the start. In that sense magic find was “useless”. It didn’t help anyone but the person who had it on their armor lowering the overall effectiveness of a party.

Anet even said the above scenario I described was the main reason why we now this new fantastic magic find system.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

- Yes we get it, but do you see that it’s Anet who controls the base value? They have their own metrics how often a player should get rewarded in order for him to keep playing and adjust the base chance according to how much magic find the community has. The product is the sweet spot. There’s nothing interesting in magic find from player’s perspective.

fellyn.5083

magic find is a hoax

No it’s not. I’m only at 59 or maybe 60% MF now and I’ve gotten more rares and exotics in the last 2 days than I have in months. This is especially true for exotics as I’ve gotten at least 3 that I can remember.

Before Tuesday the last time I got an exotic as a drop was… ??? I don’t remember because it so rarely happened.