Take away the exploited achievement points

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Unseenstrike.2971

Unseenstrike.2971

A few days ago, achievement points that were got through an error, were taken away from players.

I’m talking about the Black Lion Collection, where some skins were erroneously credited to the collection when they shouldn’t have been, and the ap got from that were taken away from players.

There is another situation where players were awarded ap when they shouldn’t have, but they can still earn it back, the same as the Black Lion Collection case. This is Monthly achievement points. Players earned these but got extra ap when ‘resets’ happened. The players had no choice about it. So as there is a precedence for taking away ap that should not have been given, extra Monthly achievement points should be taken away, and let the players re-earn them. It would also take away the extra Monthly ap got by those players abusing a Monthlies exploit – they should never have been able to get these extra ap in the first place, but now some players have hundreds more Monthly ap than they should have.

It’s only fair to everyone that the extra Monthlies got through resets and an exploit are taken away, and are allowed to re-earn by taking the intended amount of time.

I added up the maximum amount of Monthlies a player could legitimately earn on http://wiki.guildwars2.com/
and the amount is: 2535

Any Monthlies above this amount should be removed – this is the fair thing to do, just like in the Black Lion Collection case.

Posted by: Arianhod.3485

Arianhod.3485

As there’s a cap on daily (now daily+monthly) achievement points, isn’t this request a bit “useless”? (sorry for my english, can’t find a better term for this :P)

What I mean is, we’ll get to the cap eventually, and in this the achievs differ from the BL collection achievement (which is rightfully been corrected).

It’s a-me, Aria!

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I don’t understand why you’re upset about other people’s achievement points. I mean, the aim of the game in Guild Wars 2 is not to get more achievement points than other players. You can certainly play it like that if you wish, but to be honest, it doesn’t really affect us how another person got their AP.

And it all seems like a lot of effort to get rid of what would be about 10, maybe 20 achievement points at the most, because that’s all that could have possibly been earned through this monthly ‘exploit’ as you call it, since it was dealt with pretty quickly.

Edit: And as Arianhod rightly says, the Monthlies are capped, so all it means is that the players who got ‘extra’ monthly points will hit their cap 10 or 20 APs early anyway.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

(edited by penelopehannibal.8947)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The difference between black lion APs and monthly aps is that Monthly and Daily caps are now combined to 15000, therefore everyone will -some day- reach it. So there are no “extra” AP, those who got them are just a bit ahead now.

The Black Lion APs awarded players AP they could never get (unless they got the items)

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I don’t see the point, as AP is virtually meaningless anyway. Yes, the free to apply skins are nice, but aside from that the rewards from the chests can be earned in other ways in game. Taking away any points given in error does nothing.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Unseenstrike.2971

achievement points matter, there is even a Leaderboard for them

The amount of extra Monthly ap some players have is hundreds

Why should players that cheated be allowed to keep those extra achievement points?

Daily ap are capped – but to reach that cap will take many many months. Why should those that cheated be allowed to be ahead of everyone else?

The extra ap could very easily be taken away, and they should be, so that the ap can be earned honestly over time, as intended. That is fair to everyone.

penelopehannibal.8947

Achievement points don’t matter. The leaderboard is there, but the points don’t matter. Not everyone started the game at the same time, so someone’s position in the leaderboard is for bragging rights only.

Why should players that cheated be allowed to keep those extra achievement points?

They are not extra achievement points. They are just points that they got ‘early’ as they are still counted towards the cap.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The extra ap could very easily be taken away

No, it couldn’t. You assume that only people that are over the max obtainable monthly ap limit got double months, but that’s not really true. There are also people that got AP from monthlies from both sides of the reset, that were not AP farmers, and thus didn’t have all the possible monthlies done, or even get max ap from monthlies on times when they did them.
Also, what about dailies? There were people that got in a similar situation from doing dailies on the daily system reset days. There’s no reason to ignore them if we’re “correcting” monthlies, right? Oh, right, except it’s most likely completely impossible to pick them out now, unless Anet has very specific logs on every AP gained.

What about the people that logged before patch on the day current daily system hit? They were unable to do new dailies (and thus get 10 aps), but not all of them even done their previous system dailies yet. And even those that did, most likely got less than 10 APs. Shouldn’t they be recompensed for this, in the interest of the same fairness you bring up?

And all of this mess should happen, because some people are ahead of you by less than a month in dailies. In a situation where it was a result of neither cheating, nor (as it was in case of BL weapon skins) a bug.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Unseenstrike.2971

They are not extra achievement points. They are just points that they got ‘early’ as they are still counted towards the cap.

They were got through cheating (exploit), which is unfair, and should therefore be removed.

penelopehannibal.8947

They were got through cheating (exploit), which is unfair, and should therefore be removed.

It wasn’t through an exploit, it was through an ArenaNet fault. And as I said earlier, they couldn’t of got more than 10 or 20 points before it was sorted out. It was sorted within a matter of hours, not days. I was awake and playing during the switchover and went to bed about 02:00 GMT. I got up back online the next day at around 10:00 or 11:00 GMT and people were already saying it was fixed.

So lets say in the worst case scenario they completed all 10 monthlies within those hours – 100 AP points. That’s them finishing their cap 10 days earlier than you.

I think ArenaNet have bigger fish to fry than this I’m afraid.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

A few days ago, achievement points that were got through an error, were taken away from players.

I’m talking about the Black Lion Collection, where some skins were erroneously credited to the collection when they shouldn’t have been, and the ap got from that were taken away from players.

There is another situation where players were awarded ap when they shouldn’t have, but they can still earn it back, the same as the Black Lion Collection case. This is Monthly achievement points. Players earned these but got extra ap when ‘resets’ happened. The players had no choice about it. So as there is a precedence for taking away ap that should not have been given, extra Monthly achievement points should be taken away, and let the players re-earn them. It would also take away the extra Monthly ap got by those players abusing a Monthlies exploit – they should never have been able to get these extra ap in the first place, but now some players have hundreds more Monthly ap than they should have.

It’s only fair to everyone that the extra Monthlies got through resets and an exploit are taken away, and are allowed to re-earn by taking the intended amount of time.

I added up the maximum amount of Monthlies a player could legitimately earn on http://wiki.guildwars2.com/
and the amount is: 2535

Any Monthlies above this amount should be removed – this is the fair thing to do, just like in the Black Lion Collection case.

There must be an error in your calculation. I have 2595 monthly AP, I never exploited monthly AP and I also missed 2 months because I played Wildstar and TESO. I think its very possible to have 2800 monthly AP without exploit.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Sora.2896

Sora.2896

In a way they did earn their ap since they got it before server reset and after. Also I check both NA and EU leaderboards and you are not in the top 1000 of either.. just thought you and anyone else should know that.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Strong the pettiness in this one is.

Posted by: AzureSky.3175

AzureSky.3175

When it comes to AP, the leaderboards merely tell you who has been playing for the longest time and completed most of the achievements that are unavailable now, who played GW1, and who is weird enough to try and reach AP limits on things like the Winter Wonderland Jumping Puzzle or Toypocalypse, even though these limits are clearly not designed to be reached. Having a lot of AP does not show that you are better than other players in anything. So these AP leaderboards mean nothing at all.

Another person having 100 AP more than you because of “exploited” monthlies… does not affect your gameplay at all. Not the slightest bit. So why even bother?

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Lol the leaderboards was rendered obsolete years ago when you got AP for salvaging, giving some players 10,000+ extra AP.

AP is irrelevant. No one care about hundred points here or there.

Sora.2896

To post above me they capped that AP at 250 then you get nothing from it

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

The casual is really strong in this thread.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Must be a really slow news day.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

OP isn’t even in the top 200 on the leaderboards so I don’t see what their issue is as AP doesn’t really matter except for bragging rights amongst those that care about it.

Posted by: Elestian.6134

Elestian.6134

Lol the leaderboards was rendered obsolete years ago when you got AP for salvaging, giving some players 10,000+ extra AP.

AP earned in excess of the 250AP limit on Agent of Entropy was removed from players’ totals when the leaderboard was introduced.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m in the top 500, maybe even the top 400 and I could care less about this.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I only care about AP from the rewards I can gain…..I know for a fact your AP total is NOT an indication of actual skill or true knowledge of the game (tho there are plenty out there with perceived skill and incorrect knowledge galore).

The OPs request is petty and there is no other word for it.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Unseenstrike.2971

All ap tracks in the game are capped, any ap earned in excess of this was taken away from players.

When I refer to a Monthly exploit, I’m not referring to resets. I’m talking about a specific exploit that allowed players to get hundreds more Monthlies than they should have. This is a significant number, considering all ap are capped and limited.

Many players have more Monthlies than wiki says is the maximum legitimately earned, because of 2 factors: resets and an exploit.

Players that have more ap in a track than they are supposed to can have that ap taken away – that’s what I’m asking for in the case of Monthlies and the 2 factors I specified there.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Monthly+Daily is capped at 15k. So even if anyone exploited 100 points it merely means they reach the cap 10 days earlier. Not a big deal.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I don’t see the point, as AP is virtually meaningless anyway. Yes, the free to apply skins are nice, but aside from that the rewards from the chests can be earned in other ways in game. Taking away any points given in error does nothing.

Free pile of gold and gems once in a while is nice too.

Astralporing.1957

When I refer to a Monthly exploit, I’m not referring to resets. I’m talking about a specific exploit that allowed players to get hundreds more Monthlies than they should have. This is a significant number, considering all ap are capped and limited.

I’m not aware of such an exploit, but if it really happened, i believe that Anet will not bother to reset AP’s of such people. Players knowingly exploiting bugs get banned around here.
Of course i haven’t heard of any “exploit” that would allow people to get thousands of additional AP’s, so maybe there’s no need to ban anyone or reset any AP’s at all.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

About your arguments about “Exploit” in monthly achievments, theres only one, and ONLY ONE time that monthly gave a bit more points for ppl that completed prior to a certain patch, could earn monthly twice into the same month.

What you are “Presuming” to be a exploit for more points, because they pass the ammount of points wiki state is possible to had obtained..
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Monthly

.. is just sitting into another page of the older achievment points sytem:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Monthly_PvP

So, yeah, keep complaining because ppl have likely 100 points ahead due to one patch fail. Seensto be worth complain about it no

roll eyes.

Astralporing.1957

So, yeah, keep complaining because ppl have likely 100 points ahead due to one patch fail.

He already answered he is not talking about that Monthly reset case, but about some mysterious massive exploit that supposedly some people used… and that noone except him has heard about.

…so yeah, roll eyes

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’ve never heard of this ‘exploit’. Never seen it mentioned on the forums. If there is, or was, such an exploit, then maybe the OP should bring it to the Devs’ attention.

Good luck.

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

This doesn’t seem like an issue. AP in itself doesn’t confer any real advantage anyway and the amount of points that would be taken away is trivial at best. There are far more important things for devs to spend their time on.

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

I don’t quite understand your meaning. You want to take away earned AP’s because you didn’t get them before it reset and others did.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

Unseenstrike.2971

I’ve never heard of this ‘exploit’. Never seen it mentioned on the forums. If there is, or was, such an exploit, then maybe the OP should bring it to the Devs’ attention.

Good luck.

I did, in August last year. Apparently the exploit was unable to be fixed – so instead, the whole system was changed. Now we have a new system. I’m extremely grateful that ArenaNet tried so hard and put in so much effort, I really respect that. It just irks me that exploited points are still there, while honest players have to wait months for the rewards. Cheaters should not prosper imo.

Posted by: Royal.2693

Royal.2693

What about those people who exploited activities on resets to get easy AP? Even with multiple reports no one was banned. So IMO keeps monthly AP how they are. Also, there is no need to be a white knight. Let those who care post here themselves.

Astralporing.1957

Good luck.

I did, in August last year. Apparently the exploit was unable to be fixed – so instead, the whole system was changed.

It’s interesting that you seem to be the only person on these forums (and elsewhere) that noticed this exploit. Noone else did.
Perhaps there was no exploit in the first place?

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Royal.2693

Royal.2693

Good luck.

I did, in August last year. Apparently the exploit was unable to be fixed – so instead, the whole system was changed.

It’s interesting that you seem to be the only person on these forums (and elsewhere) that noticed this exploit. Noone else did.
Perhaps there was no exploit in the first place?

There was no exploit. He is talking in the name of someone who used to be #1 in NA for couple weeks because of various tricks and exploits, but then they lost that position and got very salty, accusing innocent, fair players for all this. Worst thing is they got Unseenstrike to speak for them instead of doing so themselves.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

As if AP rankings actually matter.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Perhaps Unseenstrike would like to post a thread or some sort of proof besides his claim so that this happened so we also can read it?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Sora.2896

it probably was the salvage ap that was unlimited till it was caped at 250