Taking features for granted...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

I am going to try and keep this post short and to point. I’m not intending to be abrupt, but I don’t want to be long winded here.

Guild Wars 2 is a year old and as is human nature I feel that many of the posters on this forum are beginning to take many of the features and innovations of Guild Wars 2 for granted.

I think that is what truly seperates the percieved complainers from the percieved fanboys.

I don’t know why but I just watched this 30 minute review on Youtube. The review is about a year old, when the game was still fresh and new in our minds and there were even features mentioned that I took for granted.

The purpose of this post is not to tell people to stop complaining, it is not to trivialize the genunine concerns some people have for the game.

Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-_06Acj8Y and if you actually sit through it and watch it, it might remind you that there are so many features in Guild Wars 2 that you just won’t find in other games.

I do warn you, the video is very positive, and some of the people that are frustrated with the current state of the game may be tempted to just turn it off. I don’t share all of the opinions of this reviewer, but I do share his enthusiasum, and I hope to keep that for as long as possible.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I tried TERA out for 3 days and came back to GW2. No shared loot, no dodging, the need to constantly turn in quests and backtrack, a vertical progression system.. All of the characteristics of a WoW clone, essentially. People claim that Guild Wars 2 has boring and stale combat, but I’d beg to disagree. Try Dark Age or GW1 out now. Both games had extremely good combat back in the day and helped pave he way for many games even now. When you go back to those games and play similar games today with similar stand-and-hack-and-slash RNG-based combat it’s boring. No fight between two people will ever be the same due to the mobility and unique situations every fight entails, yet people still complain that it’s “stale” and “bad”.

Call me a fanboy, but GW2 still outshines the majority if not allof modern MMOs of its kind.

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Angry Joe’s review is spot on and a great reminder of what’s great about this game, and even some of the features and issues raised in his review have been fixed/polished by now.

Posted by: Warruz.8096

Warruz.8096

Guild Wars 2 has a great foundation , but must expand on that foundation rather then building a shed every two weeks and tearing it down.

Why was Crab Toss Removed? – http://tinyurl.com/kvbaakq

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I tried TERA out for 3 days and came back to GW2. No shared loot, no dodging, the need to constantly turn in quests and backtrack, a vertical progression system.. All of the characteristics of a WoW clone, essentially. People claim that Guild Wars 2 has boring and stale combat, but I’d beg to disagree. Try Dark Age or GW1 out now. Both games had extremely good combat back in the day and helped pave he way for many games even now. When you go back to those games and play similar games today with similar stand-and-hack-and-slash RNG-based combat it’s boring. No fight between two people will ever be the same due to the mobility and unique situations every fight entails, yet people still complain that it’s “stale” and “bad”.

Call me a fanboy, but GW2 still outshines the majority if not allof modern MMOs of its kind.

Tera..no dodging? Clearly you did not try Tera.

That game has TRUE combat.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Yeah.. getting locked in place when using skills is very much true combat.
Oh wait…

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

cesmode.4257

Angry Joe’s review is spot on and a great reminder of what’s great about this game, and even some of the features and issues raised in his review have been fixed/polished by now.

Angry Joe, while I like his reviews and they are not biased, did not play to max level and did not sit at max level for months…and did not sit through an ever-changing direction of the core of the game.

Viking Jorun.5413

Before anyone mentions “LOL MANIFESTO DUH”, please watch it again. The only thing in that video that’s not true is when they say that the event system will affect the world in a very permanent way. When Colin is talking about grind, he’s talking about combat and ends his grind gripe talking about it as well to sum it up. What he means about grind in combat, is playing your character to level up to achieve a very specific skill or grinding an event that rewards a very specific set of skills that you can enjoy after the grind, not grind in general. Even in GW1, there was aesthetic grind. Looking at Ascended gear, you can grind to get as much as possible, sure, but just playing the game and being rewarded laurels through casual play will get you ascended gear, which won’t matter with the 4% overall stat boost it gives (8% stat boost over trinkets alone, 0% over armor and weapons).

cesmode.4257

Yeah.. getting locked in place when using skills is very much true combat.
Oh wait…

Or try this one for size…

Dont spam abilities .. \o/

You have to think “Is it a good time to use X or Y ability? Is the BAM going to drop the hammer on me, should I dodge first or do I have time to get off another ability?”

Posted by: Warruz.8096

Warruz.8096

Havnt played Tera , but it sounds like your describing the combat like monster Hunter.

Why was Crab Toss Removed? – http://tinyurl.com/kvbaakq

Viking Jorun.5413

Dodging was a skill only held by certain professions once you unlocked it, and the PvE profession imbalance was extreme compared to GW2 (try being a hunter in TERA versus being a lancer and race to max level). Guild Wars 2 doesn’t lock you in place for every skill, and the ones it does are necessary and make sense.

EDIT: TERA has more puzzle-based procedural combat. In Guild Wars 2 it’s the same thing, but there are a multitude more things you have to learn abut your opponent in order to succeed. You obviously haven’t played any high ranking tournaments where it’s much more obvious.

(edited by Viking Jorun.5413)

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Angry Joe, while I like his reviews and they are not biased, did not play to max level and did not sit at max level for months…and did not sit through an ever-changing direction of the core of the game.

You’re still here, and so am I. Clearly we both still very much enjoy it for the most part.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Or try this one for size…

Dont spam abilities .. \o/

You have to think “Is it a good time to use X or Y ability? Is the BAM going to drop the hammer on me, should I dodge first or do I have time to get off another ability?”

Still not really “true combat” though.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

It is good to watch this and be re-reminded why this game has been so exciting and so much better than the other MMOs I’ve played.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

CryxTryx.9208

That is partially my point. All those great features he was excited about are still in the game, and we are not starting to take them for granted.

If you do go to other games right now I think you will find a lot of things missing. Heck, I encourage to try and WoW free trail for a weekend.

I personally am happy with the way this game has progressed so far. I loved this recent update, and I am excited of what is to come. I’m not a blind fanboy but I do have realistic expectations.

I even did take a break for a about a month and half while I had stuff going on, and there is nothing wrong with that. I will be critical of the content to come, but I will also keep in mine what GW2 has that other MMO’s just do not.

IMO GW2 has set the bar real high for a free to play MMO and I plan to play the heck out of it until I stop enjoying it.

As gamers what we should be really excited for is the precident GW2 has set for future MMO’s. I’m so sick of seeing WoW clones, I can only hope that a few companies take Guild Wars as an base design for future MMO’s.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

+1 I honestly can’t play any other MMO anymore (except GW1 because it’s just special).
I played Tera for a month but I had to stop because it was just so torturous. The combat was insanely repetitive and the MP bar felt like a massively pointless hindrance. Also I can’t stand being rooted in place while casting. To the person who said it makes you be tactical with your skill choices – try playing a Sorcerer, every skill roots you in place including the default attack skill which isn’t quite fast enough for the combat to feel smooth. I don’t want to play a game where I cast then run backwards then cast then run backwards. GW2, run around and cast = yay!

CryxTryx.9208

+1 I honestly can’t play any other MMO anymore (except GW1 because it’s just special).
I played Tera for a month but I had to stop because it was just so torturous. The combat was insanely repetitive and the MP bar felt like a massively pointless hindrance. Also I can’t stand being rooted in place while casting. To the person who said it makes you be tactical with your skill choices – try playing a Sorcerer, every skill roots you in place including the default attack skill which isn’t quite fast enough for the combat to feel smooth. I don’t want to play a game where I cast then run backwards then cast then run backwards. GW2, run around and cast = yay!

See now that is something I had forgotton about and was taking for granted. I remember when I first started playing guild wars 2 being surprised that I could use my skills while moving.

At first I would instinctively stop while casting because I was so used to the game mechanic that movement stopped spell casting. TONS of games use this and I am not too sure why.

Guardian Great Sword spin was specifically a skill that I was surprised to find out I could move while casting.

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

I guessed it was Angry Joe, and I was right. I love Joe cause hes honest.

I do agree people who complain tend to complain for poor reasons. Im all for complaining, just when it is about an actual problem. People who want GW2 to be more like WoW should just go play WoW. Many of us like thakittens not that.

People who also complain that not every little thing is geared to them need to understand this is a game for everyone, not just them. (People who complain about PvP items in achievement chests for example)

Most of what GW2 does that I love though is how full and streamlined it feels to me, compaired to all the other F2P MMOs, since my reason for playing at the start was not having to pay a sub. Ive been playing since Febuary, so thats almost $90 in subs I DIDNT pay, which easily makes up for the initial cost of buying.

CryxTryx.9208

You know what, I"ll bag on people for complaining now and then because often times I don’t find it very constructive, but to be honest it is not even about that. Some people like to complain, have at it if that is your thing.

I just wanted to give us all little reminder that the game we are all playing is awesome, and it is in new ground, trying new things, and pulling a lot of them off pretty well.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I am still playing GW2 because I find it to be a better game than any other MMO available. Still, there are legitimate complaints sprinkled in among all the entitlement complaints I see on the forums. As with anything in life, there is both good and bad. For me, the good in GW2 far outweighs the bad. If the opposite is true for others, then so be it. No game will appeal equally to everyone.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Before anyone mentions “LOL MANIFESTO DUH”, please watch it again. The only thing in that video that’s not true is when they say that the event system will affect the world in a very permanent way. When Colin is talking about grind, he’s talking about combat and ends his grind gripe talking about it as well to sum it up. What he means about grind in combat, is playing your character to level up to achieve a very specific skill or grinding an event that rewards a very specific set of skills that you can enjoy after the grind, not grind in general. Even in GW1, there was aesthetic grind. Looking at Ascended gear, you can grind to get as much as possible, sure, but just playing the game and being rewarded laurels through casual play will get you ascended gear, which won’t matter with the 4% overall stat boost it gives (8% stat boost over trinkets alone, 0% over armor and weapons).

If you read the written manifesto carefully you will see that the section where grind is mentioned is a new paragraph and not within the section on combat. It is the wrapup all that has gone before.

“It all gets back to our basic design philosophy. Our games aren’t about preparing to have fun, or about grinding for a future fun reward. Our games are designed to be fun from moment to moment.”

In the manifesto they talked about distinctions and what made GW2 different from other MMO’s. It’s pretty clear that they were addressing the gear grind that is a common feature within the MMO genre.

The feature that implements a gear grind in all MMO’s is vertical progression, i.e., power creep. When the power level of a game rises, players play to attain the new power level or what they called grinding for a future fun reward in the manifesto.

That said, I’m impressed by all that they were able to achieve in advancing the genre. It is easy to take features for granted after a time and it’s good to be reminded of all the things Anet did right. Vertical progression was a serious misstep, but I always give them credit where it’s due, GW2 is an impressive corrective to many problem aspects of the MMO. I wish they could have stayed on track with avoiding a gear grind.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Dodging was a skill only held by certain professions once you unlocked it, and the PvE profession imbalance was extreme compared to GW2 (try being a hunter in TERA versus being a lancer and race to max level). Guild Wars 2 doesn’t lock you in place for every skill, and the ones it does are necessary and make sense.

EDIT: TERA has more puzzle-based procedural combat. In Guild Wars 2 it’s the same thing, but there are a multitude more things you have to learn abut your opponent in order to succeed. You obviously haven’t played any high ranking tournaments where it’s much more obvious.

I actually prefer Tera’s combat over GW2s. It feels more… Heavy. When you swing a sword you actually do feel like you’re swinging a sword.
Though I would love to see a first person MMO with Chivalry like combat, lol.
Either way – GW2 and Tera are very different games and both have their own pluses. Both are also a far fetch from WoW.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I am going to try and keep this post short and to point. I’m not intending to be abrupt, but I don’t want to be long winded here.

Guild Wars 2 is a year old and as is human nature I feel that many of the posters on this forum are beginning to take many of the features and innovations of Guild Wars 2 for granted.

I think that is what truly seperates the percieved complainers from the percieved fanboys.

I don’t know why but I just watched this 30 minute review on Youtube. The review is about a year old, when the game was still fresh and new in our minds and there were even features mentioned that I took for granted.

The purpose of this post is not to tell people to stop complaining, it is not to trivialize the genunine concerns some people have for the game.

Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-_06Acj8Y and if you actually sit through it and watch it, it might remind you that there are so many features in Guild Wars 2 that you just won’t find in other games.

I do warn you, the video is very positive, and some of the people that are frustrated with the current state of the game may be tempted to just turn it off. I don’t share all of the opinions of this reviewer, but I do share his enthusiasum, and I hope to keep that for as long as possible.

There can be so many great features. If you need to remind people about them something is wrong.

For me that is temporary content, currency-driven PvE, no fun crafts and no fun drops (but that is related to curency-driven PvE), instance based based maps and no quest. Hopefully some of that stuff might still come but at this specific moment temporary content seems to be the biggest complain many people have.

The thing is. GW2 has great potential, and what you are referring to is that potential. But you still need to make use of it’s potential .