Tanking got nerfed!

Tanking got nerfed!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: OwikGall.1607

OwikGall.1607

As a warrior tank before the patch I was able to go toe to toe with most of the bosses in this game and a lot of mobs. Today, I tried my usual tanking build against this risen pirate boss that I’d usually beat on a 1v4 (4 being them) and got smashed like I was a squishy just from the boss.

Things I noticed so far is the healing from my shouts is crap. Used to be about over 3k each, now they’re about 2.5k. Also, my health is lower, as well as my toughness and pretty much all the stats were lower than before. I’ve geared up to increase my healing as much as I could already and yet the shout heals were still crap.

The tank build before took advantage of the stat increase from the trait lines and mainly focused on healing, though, and condi for offense. I was able to solo just about anything, especially those tough to kill bosses everybody would need a team for. Granted, I had low damage output and so I was looking forward to the condi changes to buff that aspect.

I’m guessing the nerf had to do with traits no longer increasing stats and base stats being changed. Build was good when the health, toughness, and especially healing were high. Only things I can tank now are minions and I’m not happy about that.

So what happened? Can we get around this? Is this a bug? I was hoping this patch would help out the tanks, but it seems to be that now more than ever you’d have to go full zerker. If so, this is a travesty.

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

My stats in tanking for a warr have gone up, with health going from 32k to 35k. Cant comment on shouts, but the main drop to me is the banner regen being in an otherwise useless trait line to me, so i ditched it. In fact most of the warr trait lines seem a bit jumbled and lack thematics

Otherwise he is in a very good place tank wise

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

read the patch notes and look at the warrior changes…
time for you to try a new build

its ALWAYS been better to go zerker anyways….you slowed yourself down by going “tank”… thats just completely inefficient and that play style does not make you better… it makes you lazy because you think you can just tank everything and survive and not even worry about timing dodges, heals, interrupts, etc…

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

@OwikGall.1607, same goes for guardian, tryed to use mace/shield, what was weak it is very very weak now.

Tks anet…

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Take into mind that your stats are 100% from gear now. You don’t get anything from your traits. So if you were getting toughness or vitality from traits before, that’s gone.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

This game ever had tanking? News to me.

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

I think ANET said that condi dmg and healing would have a lower base value but scale higher, faster but I don’t recall where I saw that. If so, that will further impact your build, especially if you were counting on trait points to provide most or all of your healing for shouts. I suspect we are going to see more heterogeneous gear builds going forward.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: Gerrand.3085

Gerrand.3085

They definitely said that condition damage would scale better, don’t remember them saying healing would scale better.

I guess this means that my full heal spec’d guardian (which i’ve never used) is no longer worth using.

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Likely this is an artifact of people using stats from trait lines that were different from the stats from their gear; as well as the changes to down-scaling.

“In general, scaling down has been weakened, and scaling up has been increased.”

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: Peacock.6412

Peacock.6412

I had a similar issue to resolve with my ranger main. Swapping out two rings for Dire stats and swapping to an azurite amulet stopped up that gap, and even netted me nearly 1000 extra health more than before.

Unashamedly Qoo Qoo for Quaggans!

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Wow some very noobish posts today.

This update is the single biggest shakeup to gear, traits, skills, balance the game has ever had.

That means your old builds might not work, might need to be changed, or might be gone forever.

However, completely new builds are now available, and it will be a couple of months before community starts to figure all of these out.

This is a very exciting time, and you should embrace the changes.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: mistato.2047

mistato.2047

Wow some very noobish posts today.

This update is the single biggest shakeup to gear, traits, skills, balance the game has ever had.

That means your old builds might not work, might need to be changed, or might be gone forever.

However, completely new builds are now available, and it will be a couple of months before community starts to figure all of these out.

This is a very exciting time, and you should embrace the changes.

Slurp, slurp.

That’s you.

I’m assuming that is not a slurpy from the 7 eleven.

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

As a warrior tank before the patch I was able to go toe to toe with most of the bosses in this game and a lot of mobs. Today, I tried my usual tanking build against this risen pirate boss that I’d usually beat on a 1v4 (4 being them) and got smashed like I was a squishy just from the boss.

Things I noticed so far is the healing from my shouts is crap. Used to be about over 3k each, now they’re about 2.5k. Also, my health is lower, as well as my toughness and pretty much all the stats were lower than before. I’ve geared up to increase my healing as much as I could already and yet the shout heals were still crap.

The tank build before took advantage of the stat increase from the trait lines and mainly focused on healing, though, and condi for offense. I was able to solo just about anything, especially those tough to kill bosses everybody would need a team for. Granted, I had low damage output and so I was looking forward to the condi changes to buff that aspect.

I’m guessing the nerf had to do with traits no longer increasing stats and base stats being changed. Build was good when the health, toughness, and especially healing were high. Only things I can tank now are minions and I’m not happy about that.

So what happened? Can we get around this? Is this a bug? I was hoping this patch would help out the tanks, but it seems to be that now more than ever you’d have to go full zerker. If so, this is a travesty.

So working as intended?

Wait, you weren’t expecting them to buff damage AND tankiness or were you? Since your damage got buffed, something must have gone down. Time to exchange some of that gear if you want to get back to those tanky breakpoints.

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Op, you’re likely going to have to change your build, which is logical because they changed so many traits, your build probably doesn’t exist anymore. But that doesn’t mean you playstyle is completely gone, you just need to aim for all the proper traits that support your style. Consider you can take 3 gm traits now and other details like being able to use healing shouts with regen banners or how you now have a shout in your healing slot.

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Take into mind that your stats are 100% from gear now. You don’t get anything from your traits. So if you were getting toughness or vitality from traits before, that’s gone.

I was relying on trait for some toughness and vitality but surprisingly neither seems to have changed much for me.

Tanking got nerfed!

OwikGall.1607

I was relying on trait for some toughness and vitality but surprisingly neither seems to have changed much for me.

Did for me. Vitality was high when I put a lot of trait points on Vitality to the point where I didn’t need it in my gear.

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: J envy.5270

J envy.5270

i’ve never tanked risen pirate or w/e but i have solo’d risen giant, champion giant, risen abomination, champ troll, champ karka on zerker gear, obviously i can solo them way way faster than someone who maxes health, i find tanking solo champions with zerk gear and evading there attacks by dodging or blocking feels more real than tank and spank were you soak in the damage. Surely there is more skill when you solo a champ where the champ can 1 hit or 2 hit KO you, but you get to kill him instead, and fast, like 5-10mins, not tanking there for an hour.

Kamote
Guild Wars Vet since 05
multi-class all game modes

Tanking got nerfed!

OwikGall.1607

i’ve never tanked risen pirate or w/e but i have solo’d risen giant, champion giant, risen abomination, champ troll, champ karka on zerker gear, obviously i can solo them way way faster than someone who maxes health, i find tanking solo champions with zerk gear and evading there attacks by dodging or blocking feels more real than tank and spank were you soak in the damage. Surely there is more skill when you solo a champ where the champ can 1 hit or 2 hit KO you, but you get to kill him instead, and fast, like 5-10mins, not tanking there for an hour.

Well for now I wouldn’t have much choice, anyway. At least the condition buff is making things a little easier for me, though now I’m forced to playing like you described. Bleh! Like I said, at least the condi buff is keeping things pleasant.

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

tanking didn’t get nerfed, conditions are a bit powerfull so you drain more now then you can handle. conditions are the main counter versus tankyness (ignoring armor) so you die faster now…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: Dreydin Nevastine.4597

Dreydin Nevastine.4597

I have only really had a few games on PvP with this new patch but i deeply miss my tanky warrior already

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: Torgaard.1864

Torgaard.1864

Did for me. Vitality was high when I put a lot of trait points on Vitality to the point where I didn’t need it in my gear.

And there ya go. As I’m sure you know, now you’re going to have to get that Vitality from gear. Which I think will be good (in the long run). It’s an adjustment, but it’s for the better. Because what you were doing with Vitality (getting enough from traits to not care so much about getting it from gear) in a way – everyone was doing with Power (and Precision). But worse – getting all the Power and Precision from traits AND gear.

To kind of address your OP, I was gonna say that my very defensively built Warrior sounds very similar to yours. The difference is, I built most of my gear (and traits) around Toughness and Vitality (and Healing Power). And I found that my build was as tough as always, and even a little tougher.

I just wonder if this might have been one of the more brilliant and masterfully done patches in an MMO for a long time. ANet might’ve managed to actually do it: to actually turn it all around. To undo the damage done by a flaw in their mechanics and gear stats (ie the whole Berserker Gear goofiness).

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Trying to go “toe to toe” with enemies in GW2 is likely the root of this problem…

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

+1 – you don’t exactly go 1 v 1 with a boss.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

I just wonder if this might have been one of the more brilliant and masterfully done patches in an MMO for a long time. ANet might’ve managed to actually do it: to actually turn it all around. To undo the damage done by a flaw in their mechanics and gear stats (ie the whole Berserker Gear goofiness).

What’s this now? Not only was there never a flaw, but how would it have been corrected?

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Warriors are still tanky.
Maybe now they need to be a little more aware of their
positioning and dodge a red circle every now and then.
I’ve been playing ranked matches all evening.
They seem to be fine.
Still can be a pain in the bass when played well.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Tanking got nerfed!

Posted by: Samaruis Vulcan.7413

Samaruis Vulcan.7413

Tanking Hasn’t been nerfed, you silly goofs… the stats you got from your traits have been added in to both your armor and into your base character stats, overall it’s actually higher then it was before…

I’ve ran a Tank based Warrior since Pre-Release going full Regen and Banner Regen, Currently sitting in full Nomads Exotics, no Ascended except for my Bolt… Before the patch I never got her toughness above 2800, now I’ve managed to bring it up to 3205 with my Momentum Sigil at max stacks, and with a Vitality sitting at 31k to 32k at times. Over All other then the moving of some traits like Inspiring Battle Standards now residing in Discipline (A move I still am grumbling about.) Tanking as been buffed In one way, As for healing power I haven’t really payed much attention, but testing my warrior against the Mordrem last night I didn’t see a very vast change…. I’ll need to go see if I can tank the Legendary Teragriff like I did months ago to tell anything specific…

So Please do more extensive build testing and changing before you go Jumping off high places and to false conclusions…