Tanks being tankier, dedicated healing class

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I would rather it would not go to trinity. Ever. You can still heal as a heal dedicated character and you can still tank just fine using your utility blocks, dodges and piling toughness on yourself. I like not being forced into a role.

Toughness scales poorly, endurance runs out quickly if you like to dodge, and all blocks are associated with significant cooldowns rather than passives :[

you don’t dodge at random, you time your dodges, yes, there’s cooldowns, that’s why you use your abilities in an intelligent manner instead of spamming them. It also helps to learn the bosses mechanics so you would know when to dodge, when to block, etc.

The problem is being able to see the boss mechanics in the first place.

how is every boss having their own pattern that you need to figure out even a problem?

If you have to ask that question, it’s obvious you’ve never played a melee class in this game or you’ve played it solely in the ranged mode.

Particle effects make it impossible to see boss mechanics when playing melee.

Really? Funnily enough I’m doing quite fine with my warrior equipped with 2 swords.

Oh, well good for you.

A lot of people aren’t.

well then those people should take this game more seriously and pay more attention.

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

I would rather it would not go to trinity. Ever. You can still heal as a heal dedicated character and you can still tank just fine using your utility blocks, dodges and piling toughness on yourself. I like not being forced into a role.

Toughness scales poorly, endurance runs out quickly if you like to dodge, and all blocks are associated with significant cooldowns rather than passives :[

you don’t dodge at random, you time your dodges, yes, there’s cooldowns, that’s why you use your abilities in an intelligent manner instead of spamming them. It also helps to learn the bosses mechanics so you would know when to dodge, when to block, etc.

how is every boss having their own pattern that you need to figure out even a problem?

If you have to ask that question, it’s obvious you’ve never played a melee class in this game or you’ve played it solely in the ranged mode.

Really? Funnily enough I’m doing quite fine with my warrior equipped with 2 swords.

Oh, well good for you.

A lot of people aren’t.

well then those people should take this game more seriously and pay more attention.

LOL…alright.

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Im sorry?
Say that again?

Never played melee in this game…

I have a thief…

I also have a dual dagger Elementalist, Do you know how close and in your face dual dagger eles have to be?

Yeah… if I’m playing squishy classes with low hp pools of their categories, I dont see how a Warrior with high HP and exponentially higher Armour rating cant survive.

(edited by Rizzy.8293)

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

You can say its easy. Maybe it is for you. But its pretty simple to go on to Youtube, and look at games like Zelda, Bayonetta, Dark Souls, Monster Hunter, and even the trinity-using game TERA, and compare how enemy attacks are telegraphed there, compared to in Guild Wars 2.

Even a bosskill video for World of Warcraft on Heigan the Unclean will suffice. Tell me how many people you see there “standing still and doing their rotation” for longer than a minute.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Shootsfoot.9276

Im sorry?
Say that again?

I have a thief…

I also have a dual dagger Elementalist, Do you know how close and in your face dual dagger eles have to be?

Yeah… if I’m playing squishy classes with low hp pools of their levels, I dont see how a Warrior with high HP and exponentially higher Armour rating cant survive.

And you don’t see a problem here.

Attachments:

(edited by Shootsfoot.9276)

Rizzy.8293

Im sorry?
Say that again?

I have a thief…

Yeah… if I’m playing squishy classes with low hp pools of their levels, I dont see how a Warrior with high HP and exponentially higher Armour rating cant survive.

Oh nice, you get wiped during a zerg, how sad

You do know unlike some classes you do have a weapon swap to go range if you get hit massively which could give you time to recover?

Seriously bro, learn to play the guardian.
Not hard.
And stop speccing, 30/30/x

Look at mine, not a 30/30/x not in zerker gear and I have more hp than you because of it.

Attachments:

(edited by Rizzy.8293)

Shootsfoot.9276

Im sorry?
Say that again?

I have a thief…

Ah, not possible to have an honest discussion with you either, I see.

Not that I was expecting one on an internet gaming forum in the first place.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

The level of condescending in here can be carved with a focus…

Shootsfoot.9276

Im sorry?
Say that again?

I have a thief…

You do know unlike some classes you do have a weapon swap to go range if you get hit massively which could give you time to recover?

Not hard.

LOL. You had to actually go back and edit to throw in the insults.

How sad.

Rizzy.8293

Im sorry?
Say that again?

I have a thief…

Not hard.

How sad.

Of course bro, because warriors are harder to play than guardian, mad respect to warrior bros.

You play a guardian one of the most durable classes in the game and your HP is only 16k

This tells me you 30/30 in Zerker gear.

Stop it bro, glass cannoning gets you killed hella fast.

Attachments:

Shootsfoot.9276

Im sorry?
Say that again?

I have a thief…

Not hard.

How sad.

Of course bro, because warriors are harder to play than guardian, mad respect to warrior bros.

You play a guardian one of the most durable classes in the game and your HP is only 16k

Uh boy…“hella fast” and “bro”

Now I see what I’m dealing with.

By the way, you’re wrong about the zerker gear and my spec, but if it makes you sleep better at night, believe what you want to.

I was trying out Clerics gear, Einstein.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

Why is this not in game? I know GW2’s signature is breaking the trinity, but why?

90% of MMO players like to DPS, 6% like to heal and 4% like to tank, in my expeirence.

They didn’t want a game where 96% of the players had to wait for 4% to both log in and be willing to group with them.

Just because one other big MMO does this, does not mean it has to be universal. Especially when you consider how much energy and manpower that one MMO has had to put into ‘fixing the social problem’ that has occurred because of 4% being able to hold the 96% hostage.

A 1%er monopoly on everything doesn’t work in RL, its why so much of the world is broken, and so if you don’t need it in a game, don’t put it in there.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Rizzy.8293

Im sorry?
Say that again?

I have a thief…

Not hard.

How sad.

By the way, you’re wrong about the zerker gear and my spec, but if it makes you sleep better at night, believe what you want to.

LAWL And you still have issues with survivablity.

Sooooo sad v.v

Shootsfoot.9276

Im sorry?
Say that again?

I have a thief…

Not hard.

How sad.

Sooooo sad v.v

Where did I say that, son?

Oh, and you comparing the warrior HP to the guardian HP?

LOL!

I’ve got to go…have a good day at school tomorrow.

Rizzy.8293

Im sorry?
Say that again?

I have a thief…

Not hard.

How sad.

Sooooo sad v.v

LOL!

Do you want me to translate this?

Okay I will.

You are saying

“You dont know the trials and tribulations I go through with being a melee class, I have to be up close to whack away at the boss and people are annoying with their particle effects, i cant even see what the boss is doing, because I like to stand infront of them, pressing WASD to move behind them is SOOOO hard for me, You can see why I die often, coz I dont know how to move behind them and avoid their frontal assaults.”

While I agree with you Particle effects are overkill in GW2
Being able to tell which side is front and which side is back isnt so hard.

And seriously 16k Hp and in clerics? laugh

And again seriously bro I play a thief, standing behind the target is what I have to do for a living.

PS: if you dont know which side of the priest is it’s back, its the left side.

(edited by Rizzy.8293)

Shootsfoot.9276

Im sorry?
Say that again?

I have a thief…

Not hard.

How sad.

Sooooo sad v.v

LOL!

Okay I will.

You are saying

“You dont know the trials and tribulations I go through with being a melee class, I have to be up close to whack away at the boss and people are annoying with their particle effects, i cant even see what the boss is doing, because I like to stand infront of them, pressing WASD to move behind them is SOOOO hard for me, You can see why I die often, coz I dont know how to move behind them and avoid their frontal assaults.”

And again seriously bro I play a thief, standing behind the target is what I have to do for a living.

Wow, you sure showed me. Laughing about my HP in clerics gear.

However will I continue to live?

Seriously, son, you need to understand that most people think of this as a game, not a “living.”

Have a good one.

digiowl.9620

Mod lock in 3.. 2.. 1..

Rizzy.8293

Im sorry?
Say that again?

I have a thief…

Not hard.

How sad.

Sooooo sad v.v

LOL!

Okay I will.

You are saying

Wow, you sure showed me. Laughing about my HP in clerics gear.

However will I continue to live?

Seriously, son, you need to understand that most people think of this as a game, not a “living.”

Have a good one.

son LawL

Exactly bro, its a game thats why its so hella easy.
Why so hard for you?

I know it’s not the games fault for not having a holy trinity.

:)

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

My experience in MMOs when it comes to the “trinity” has been mainly negative.

The first group of total idiots are the DPS class players that expect everyone in the group to do NOTHING more than to ensure that they are kept alive and well buffed, so they can shout out their newest all-time high crit damage they achieved. And god forbid anything goes wrong, because almost without exception, the healer or support class player will be blamed by the DPS players for the wipe. Never mind that almost without exception, the role of the healers and support are far harder to master and far harder to play well. For the most part, the uber-leet “master’s of dps” tend to be the absolute rudest and most selfish players in the game.

But then you have the second group of idiots, the non-healing healers and non-tanking tanks traited in their sub-par dps specs. And god do they moan endlessly when the DPS classes expect them to heal/support when in group. So it’s also a two-way street, because for the most part the vast majority of MMO players want to do DPS. And because of this, regardless of how a class was defined by the WoW or Lotro devs, a huge number of people that rolled sub-par dps classes – specced and geared for: DPS. (And yes, I am aware that there are folks that love healing, tanking, and boon and CC support roles, but they are the VAST minority of players).

Both in WoW and Lotro I did have periods when the game was a blast, but they were short lived periods of the perfect group of MATURE players in a nice and respectful guild/kin. Unfortunately these periods were short-lived in my experience. Because even in an excellent guild with great folks, even there, an expectation of people filling certain roles in a certain precise fashion will exist. And when things go wrong those expectations will rear its head, and you get “guild drama” times a hundred. It is for this reason, that in those games, eventually I gave up dungeon running completely.

I’m no “fan-boy”, and I have my issues with GW2 and feel that there are many things that need improvement. But NOT having severely pigeon-holed roles/classes is NOT one of my problems with this game. On the contrary, it was one of the 2 reasons I left those games for GW2 (the other reason being, that GW2 was marketed as a horizontal progression game without an endless gear-grind – heh – oh well, one out of two ain’t bad!).

Sorry, but NO, this game does NOT need to introduce a “trinity” system along the lines of WoW or LoTRO … Besides, there already exist a ton of games in that style for you to choose from; so please, pretty please, can’t you leave the rest of us just ONE small corner of refuge from that garbage? The current GW2 model of greatly self-sufficient classes is wonderful, and it’s one of the things they got VERY right.

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Ision.3207)

Shootsfoot.9276

My experience in MMOs when it come to the “trinity” has been mainly negative.

The first group of total idiots are the DPS class players that expect everyone in the group to do NOTHING more than to ensure that they are kept alive and well buffed so they can shout out their newest all-time high crit damage they achieved. And god forbid anything goes wrong, because almost without exception, the healer or support class player will be blamed by the DPS players for the wipe. Never mind that almost without exception, the role of the healers and support are far harder to master and far harder to play well. These folks tend to be the absolute rudest and selfish players in the game.

But then you have the second group of idiots, the non-healing healers and non-tanking tanks traited in their sub-par dps specs. And god do they moan endlessly when the DPS classes expect them to heal/support when in group. So it’s also a two-way street, because for the most part the vast majority of players want to do DPS. And because of this, regardless of how a class is defined by the devs, a huge number of people that rolled sub-par dps classes – spec and gear for DPS. (And yes, I am aware that there are folks that love healing, tanking, and boon and CC support roles, but they are the VAST minority of players).

Both in WoW and Lotro I did have periods when the game was a blast, but they were short lived periods of the perfect group of MATURE players in a nice and respectful guild/kin. Unfortunately these periods were short-lived in my experience. But even in an excellent guild with great folks, even there an expectation of people filling certain roles in a certain precise fashion will exist. And when things go wrong those expectations will rear its head, and you get “guild drama” times a hundred. It is for this reason, that in those games, eventually I gave up dungeon running completely.

I’m no “fan-boy”, and I have my issues with GW2 and feel that there are many things that need improvement. But NOT having severely pigeon-holed roles/classes is NOT one of my problems with this game. On the contrary, it was one of the 2 reasons I left those games for this GW2 (the other reason being that the game was marketed as a horizontal progression game without an endless gear-grind – heh – oh well, one out of two ain’t bad!).

Sorry, but NO, this game does NOT need to introduce a “trinity” system along the lines of WoW or LoTRO … Besides, there already exist a ton of games in that style for you to choose from; so please, pretty please, can’t you leave the rest of us just ONE small corner of refuge from that garbage? The current GW2 model of greatly self-sufficient classes is wonderful, and one of the things they got VERY right.

I agree with this for the most part, and it made me chuckle reading your descriptions because after 6 years with WoW, I’ve seen every single one of which you describe. The problem I have with this game is the current design of the dungeons in regards to the party model. When I’m saying dungeons, I’m not including Fractals, because I think they are pretty well-designed and am looking forward to more of them in the future.

The pre-Fractals dungeons, however, need a lot of work, in my opinion. There are trash mobs that take forever to kill because they have champion-level hp and they offer little — if any — reward, so the main strategy of getting past them is run through them and hope you don’t die. To me, that’s not a good design. If you’re going to have trash mobs like this, make them maybe veteran-level at the most, and allow them to drop the occasional high-level exotic, or some other coveted reward such as something you normally can only get in the gem store.

Posted by: nesh.7234

nesh.7234

Im sorry?
Say that again?

I have a thief…

Not hard.

How sad.

(too many stuff to quote around)

@Rizzy: guardians have lowest HP base so 20k(ish) is high for them

@Shootsfoot: 16k is a little low, tho i do see downed penalty arrow. OTOH I’m running p/t/v mostly and did not messed with other specs to much.

But I agree, a little more base toughness/armor difference may be needed (not in trinity sense tho), it’s still funny that light/heavy is just ~15% diff.

Particle effect can be nasty, I managing mostly by just monitoring my health and jumping away to ranged till recovering if I can’t track / monitor mob correctly — OTOH mobs, for some reason, love to stay on my tail but that coupled with fact that I can’t rely on “external” healing adds to fun (I mostly played tanks in other MMOs), at least no one can start QQ about not holding aggro

Back OT

Adding slightly more distinction between classes is maybe needed but trinity is NOT. GW2 is still young and have a lot of balancing and polishing up to come, so I hope “no trinity” concept will be even better as time passes.

EU / Aurora Glade

Shootsfoot.9276

Im sorry?
Say that again?

I have a thief…

Not hard.

How sad.

(too many stuff to quote around)

@Rizzy: guardians have lowest HP base so 20k(ish) is high for them

@Shootsfoot: 16k is a little low, tho i do see downed penalty arrow. OTOH I’m running p/t/v mostly and did not messed with other specs to much.

But I agree, a little more base toughness/armor difference may be needed (not in trinity sense tho), it’s still funny that light/heavy is just ~15% diff.

Particle effect can be nasty, I managing mostly by just monitoring my health and jumping away to ranged till recovering if I can’t track / monitor mob correctly — OTOH mobs, for some reason, love to stay on my tail but that coupled with fact that I can’t rely on “external” healing adds to fun (I mostly played tanks in other MMOs), at least no one can start QQ about not holding aggro

Back OT

Adding slightly more distinction between classes is maybe needed but trinity is NOT. GW2 is still young and have a lot of balancing and polishing up to come, so I hope “no trinity” concept will be even better as time passes.

Not that it really matters, but that screenshot I took was over 3 months old when I was playing around with different armor sets to see what suits my play. And you’re right, I had been downed prior so my HP was reduced from normal.

Not sure why he felt the need to attack me on my armor or setup, but whatever. Kids will be kids, I guess.

Currently I’m running knights, around 18k HP and upwards of 3150 total armor. Crit around 30% and crit damage is…hmmm…maybe 40%, can’t remember offhand.

Attack is a little lower than I’d like it, but I stay alive, which means I’m doing better dps than the guy over there in the downed state. :P

In regards to the trinity, I agree…we don’t need it, and — contrary to what certain people seem to want to believe — I never said I wanted it.

But I do think somebody gearing for support or control should feel that is their main function, while currently it feels as if everybody is primarily damage with support and control as a secondary function.

I think that is what is making people feel homogenous.

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

No I do not want trinity classes, gw2 is awesome the way it is.

That’s really all I have to say when others have already said why, so no, just no.

Posted by: Voodoo.1709

Voodoo.1709

I just don’t see how adding a class that is more oriented towards group healing would hurt. It would please those that enjoy that role but would not be required for dungeons for all the reasons you all have already mentioned.

Posted by: Katzyn.9703

Katzyn.9703

I made a healing support Ele, quite happy with her. Not sure why we need anything more dedicated.

Katzy (80 Sylvari Ranger), Katarzynea (80 Norn Elementalist),
Katalii (40ish Asuran Mesmer), Katalyn Galadheon (15ish Human Warrior)

Posted by: nesh.7234

nesh.7234

But I do think somebody gearing for support or control should feel that is their main function, while currently it feels as if everybody is primarily damage with support and control as a secondary function.

I think that is what is making people feel homogenous.

I can agree with that, but IMHO “feel” is also often related to the other players around.

My spec (probably far from optimal and top meta, but I like it) have not that great DPS, enough for me tho. Having (according to buildcraft sites) 32k+ of effective health and big damage reduction, can enable one to take a few hits, but sadly in condition heavy fights I can get down really fast — prob I need to learn to use better condition removals I have available.

So far (I do avoid speed-run types tho) I never noticed that anyone had any issues with that as they are satisfied that most of the time whatever we are killing is after me and they don’t have to rez me too much, and when that happens people usually do try to rez me first.
So in some way I do play “tank” but its far more engaging and dynamic than any other tanking I done in other MMOs. Not having healer to cover for the errors make it even better.

OTOH my “twitch” reflexes are getting slower (showing the year of the manufacture) so ATM I gave up using proper guardian party/area blocks as I miss timing more often than not so I’d love some passive/longer skills and/or utilities to bring with me.

EU / Aurora Glade

Posted by: dandamanno.4136

dandamanno.4136

@Shootsfoot and @Rebelyell

Pardon my first post as it appeared you were agreeing with the op that you wished there to be a trinity in the game. You were not. My error.

Upon rereading it looks more like you are making a different point related to non-trinity related game mechanics that are also not in the game.

As to that I would always welcome more variability in gameplay such as the engineer example you gave. However I still think the classes play differently enough from each other to be unique in gameplay, if not 100% in skills.

Posted by: LordGustoff.3752

LordGustoff.3752

The no trinity was a design philosophy that was announced during development A LONG TIME AGO, and is one of the main selling points they use for the game. WHY do people like you then buy the game knowing full well the trinity design does not exist and then proceed to complain about it. If you wanted the trinity you shouldn’t have bought the game. Simple.

If you did what they did, you would have what they have.
You have what you have because you do what you do.

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

I just don’t see how adding a class that is more oriented towards group healing would hurt. It would please those that enjoy that role but would not be required for dungeons for all the reasons you all have already mentioned.

Because those classes ALREADY exist … For example: a deeply water traited staff Ele with very specific set of utilities and a very specific skill rotation can do wonders for a coordinated group of players that are famliar with a dungeon.

Same for Guardian and Engineers … hell, even the DPS monster known as, “the Warrior” can be a banner/shout beast if he desires … so a dedicated healing/regen/aegis alternative ALREADY exists – and in spades. So anyone that likes those roles has a plethora of choices …

The only thing a TRUE 100% heal the group class might do for this game is possibly make PUGGING easier (assuming he knows what he is doing, and assuming he LIKES the role …) … but the cost of having a class like this would be ruinous to every single other aspect of this game. Not to mention the gigantic overhaul of the core game the devs would have to make, as well as an overhaul to every single professions healing and regen mechanics …

Basically, if Anet wants to destroy their own game … then feel free to make a LotRO “Minstrel” class and put it in this game. Normally I would think they would never even entertain such nonsense, but hey … ya never know …

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Ision.3207)

Posted by: Voodoo.1709

Voodoo.1709

Because those classes ALREADY exist … For example: a deeply water traited staff Ele with very specific set of utilities and a very specific skill rotation can do wonders for a coordinated group of players that are famliar with a dungeon.

Same for Guardian and Engineers … hell, even the DPS monster known as, “the Warrior” can be a banner/shout beast if he desires … so a dedicated healing/regen/aegis alternative ALREADY exists – and in spades. So anyone that likes those roles has a plethora of choices …

The only thing a TRUE 100% heal the group class might do for this game is possibly make PUGGING easier (assuming he knows what he is doing, and assuming he LIKES the role …) … but the cost of having a class like this would be ruinous to every single other aspect of this game. Not to metion the gigantic overhaul of the core game the devs would have to make, as well as an overhaul to every single professions healing and regen mechanics …

Basically, if Anet wants to destroy their own game … then feel free to make a LotRO “Minstrel” class and put it in this game. Normally I would think they would never even entertain such nonsense, but hey … ya never know …

I am simply trying to understand your point here… Why would adding a class more oriented towards healing cause a MAJOR overhaul?

The way I see it you would still be able to do groups exactly how they are now (mesmer + 4 zerker warriors lol, sorry had to) or people could choose to spec more into damage and less on support/healing if they knew they could have a healer class with them.

It just adds more options IMO and doesn’t seem ground breaking in any way. Again I am not trying to make you mad just trying to figure out your point. Why couldn’t they just add a healing class and not change other classes?

Posted by: Gestankfaust.4216

Gestankfaust.4216

No Trinity needed. As many have said, the many builds we can make leaves the trinity boring and out of date.

I also think that mocking a Guardian for being a low HP glass cannon is just ridiculous…since it’s one of the top rated builds I’ve seen. So someone must be using it. :P

Also find it funny the Mirta turned into Rizzy all of a sudden at the end there. (that the boyfriend?)

:D

digiowl.9620

This! Right now when gearing for anything but DPS, the tradeoff is simply not worth it. The survivability or control do not change much while the DPS drops like a rock.

And in my opinion this comes from ANet being on a bunker vendetta in SPVP, spilling over into PVE via the shared mechanics. And also ANet’s insistence on movement being defense (and control, according to part of the community). All fine and dandy for fights with minimal chance of bumping into random mobs (SPVP) or open fields (WVW), but breaks down fast once you start sticking your head into caves and other cramped spaces with aggressive mobs around every corner.

Basically the problem is not just with big bosses but also getting multiple trash mobs on your behind, and your options for survival are kite in circles until the cows come home (hope you brought a ranged attacks you can fire over you shoulder, because running backwards in a no go thank to the speed difference) or drop them on the spot via AOE spikes. And the latter option are what warriors, and to a lesser extent guardians, excel at thanks to their greatsword coming with a inherent cleave on their #1.

digiowl.9620

The only thing a TRUE 100% heal the group class might do for this game is possibly make PUGGING easier (assuming he knows what he is doing, and assuming he LIKES the role …) … but the cost of having a class like this would be ruinous to every single other aspect of this game. Not to mention the gigantic overhaul of the core game the devs would have to make, as well as an overhaul to every single professions healing and regen mechanics …

While the healing is there, in theory, the numbers just do not do the focus justice.

Put on as much healing gear and go full traits and you may bump the healing output pr skill with 1300. That is if the skill in question get 1:1 boost from HP, but so far i have found precious few that do.

Edit: and one of those that do are ironically the one that elementalist can trigger via evasive arcana…

(edited by digiowl.9620)

Mirta.5029

No Trinity needed. As many have said, the many builds we can make leaves the trinity boring and out of date.

I also think that mocking a Guardian for being a low HP glass cannon is just ridiculous…since it’s one of the top rated builds I’ve seen. So someone must be using it. :P

Also find it funny the Mirta turned into Rizzy all of a sudden at the end there. (that the boyfriend?)

:D

Well I could have hijacked his account and posted a post here for him, but that wouldn’t really be good or fair
Though I get your criticism and will only mention my own position from now on.

Posted by: dandamanno.4136

dandamanno.4136

The only thing a TRUE 100% heal the group class might do for this game is possibly make PUGGING easier (assuming he knows what he is doing, and assuming he LIKES the role …) … but the cost of having a class like this would be ruinous to every single other aspect of this game. Not to metion the gigantic overhaul of the core game the devs would have to make, as well as an overhaul to every single professions healing and regen mechanics …

I am simply trying to understand your point here… Why would adding a class more oriented towards healing cause a MAJOR overhaul?

The way I see it you would still be able to do groups exactly how they are now (mesmer + 4 zerker warriors lol, sorry had to) or people could choose to spec more into damage and less on support/healing if they knew they could have a healer class with them.

It just adds more options IMO and doesn’t seem ground breaking in any way. Again I am not trying to make you mad just trying to figure out your point. Why couldn’t they just add a healing class and not change other classes?

Because then you end up with the same "lfg need “the healer” stuff you have in other games. Everyone will know that “class x” is the best healing class in the game and will only want them for their healing abilities, and they will be pigeon holed into that role permanently, because everyone else just wants to dps.

Same for “the best tank class”.

In the end it ends up taking away options because everyone will want “4dps + healer” It’s just in most peoples nature to want to dps like mad and not have to worry about survival. It’s easier. Since it is easier it would become the norm very fast.

Now before someone brings it up, I realize their are already preferred group make ups, but that is a failure of PvE balance and is unintended. Adding in further imbalance will not fix it.

Also, as stated above, devs would have to rework every healing skill in the game to make up for the extra group healing provided by this “healing class”. And what if you do not have the healing class? Guess what? You do not have enough healing. So you can’t just take any group makeup like you did before.

Hope that helps make the point.

Shootsfoot.9276

@Shootsfoot and @Rebelyell

Pardon my first post as it appeared you were agreeing with the op that you wished there to be a trinity in the game. You were not. My error.

Upon rereading it looks more like you are making a different point related to non-trinity related game mechanics that are also not in the game.

Exactly.

Thank you.

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

Unfortunately, it would be extremely difficult to not only make a dedicated healer, but to make its inclusion in the game beneficial.

The idea of a healer is to create deeper combat. Instead of everyone worrying about how fast they can DPS something, you need to account for the ability for enemies (in PvP or PvE) to be able to effectively heal or prot through your DPS.

Not just this, but the dedicated healer is often in the back line of the party.

So now, instead of just DPSing a mob, you need to decide is the monk going to be able to out heal my DPS, and if so, how do I go about attacking the monk while bursting through the front line in order to get to the back line.

In addition to adding a healer, you would also benefit from adding something to balance both healing and DPS – namely utility. In GW1 this was primarily the mesmer class. It could effectively shut down both monks or DPS when specced for one or the other (or both). This also added wonderful depth and strategy to a game.

Without going into much more about why a healer is good and create both strategy and depth to a game, here are the problems adding it in this game.

1. This game is designed to allow you to play solo. Really, this is the biggest reason. You can’t have a dedicated healer go out and do much in the persistent world if their skill bar is all heals. Sure, you could probably get around some of it by adding a weapon or two that does damage, but you get the idea.

2. In order for the healer class to make sense in PvE, you would need to make PvE encounters have healers to add the kind of combat depth a healer should bring to the game. The problem, again, is that 1) you would have to rework all of the mobs in the game and 2) you would essentially make the persistent world need grouping instead of solo play.

Personally, the need to look for a monk to complete content is not without merit, but I really hate the fact that it is at the cost of both a ton of depth and strategy to the game. We see that this is happening because DPS really has become the best way to complete content in the PvE side; and on the sPvP side we see a lot of successful builds around classes that are able to play bunker well or classes that are able to DPS bunkers down quickly. This is why the elementalist is possibly the #1 most successful class in sPvP, with the thief as its biggest counter.

(edited by clay.7849)

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

You can play a tank healer in GW2 but there are things that stop us from doing that:

1- Nothing in GW2 mechanic requires you to do so.
2-You can kill everything faster using a dps party.
3-you get better loot if you play dps build.

unless A-net change that we will all play DPS.
I think A-net should make it optional for the ppl that want to play tank-healer. and I think a partial trinity system will improve the game TESO is going this route.

Mirta.5029

You can play a tank healer in GW2 but there are things that stop us from doing that:

I think A-net should make it optional for the ppl that want to play tank-healer. and I think a partial trinity system will improve the game TESO is going this route.

3 is utterly false
1 depends on how a person plays. Example – if you’re running high level dungeons without toughness or good healing one mistake can kill you.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Im sorry?
Say that again?

I have a thief…

And you don’t see a problem here.

Great screenshot, GW2 combat at its finest. Zerging.
They took the trinity, and removed Tanking and HEaling and left ONLY DPS.
I repeat. There’s only DPS is this game., support Guardian or Heal Ele is bs.

Mirta.5029

support Guardian or Heal Ele is bs.

Aaaand you just insulted a whole bunch of people. GL going into Arah and CoE with high DPS only.

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

3 is utterly false
1 depends on how a person plays. Example – if you’re running high level dungeons without toughness or good healing one mistake can kill you.

One of the Dev said that the more damage you do the better the loot I’m not making this up.

Mirta.5029

3 is utterly false

One of the Dev said that the more damage you do the better the loot I’m not making this up.

give direct link and a quote then.

Nick.6972

Aaaand you just insulted a whole bunch of people. GL going into Arah and CoE with high DPS only.

I can Heal better with my full cleric armor and full ascended ring set.
Does that make me a healer? Hell no. Bs.

Mirta.5029

if you were healing spected and wearing that gear though your healing on yourself would be vastly improved. The healing you can do to others is about 25% of what you can do while healing yourself. It’s that way because there are no dedicated roles. However it doesn’t mean that a healing spected Ele or a well specked necro doesn’t bring help into a group.

Nick.6972

if you were healing spected and wearing that gear though your healing on yourself would be vastly improved. The healing you can do to others is about 25% of what you can do while healing yourself. It’s that way because there are no dedicated roles. However it doesn’t mean that a healing spected Ele or a well specked necro doesn’t bring help into a group.

I am spected like that on my Guardian and I do run high level fractals and Dungeons, quite frankly I don;t feel like a Healer even with Staff and Shield/Mace. Hell, I would rather change my rins and armor runes for something that deals more damage.

And my main both in PvE and PvP in GW1 was a Monk.

Mirta.5029

I am spected like that on my Guardian and I do run high level fractals and Dungeons, quite frankly I don;t feel like a Healer even with Staff and Shield/Mace. Hell, I would rather change my rins and armor runes for something that deals more damage.

And my main both in PvE and PvP in GW1 was a Monk.

because you’re not a dedicated healer. You’re a partial healer, because only a partial role is possible. Your choice though. I like being a team player and holding aggro with high toughness, use my abilities to get people up and heal them a bit.

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

I like being a team player and holding aggro with high toughness, use my abilities to get people up and heal them a bit.

I’ve never seen anyone be able to hold aggro in GW2.

Mirta.5029

I like being a team player and holding aggro with high toughness, use my abilities to get people up and heal them a bit.

I’ve never seen anyone be able to hold aggro in GW2.

bosses aggro the person with the highest toughness in the group and not the person doing the most damage. They like to switch to people doing healing sometimes. If you have a some sort of auto regen and have some toughness the will stick with you no matter what. Found that out the hard way on my warrior -_-

Nick.6972

I switch to my staff/shield and mace and have 3200 Toughness, that doesn’t make me a tank either.
Yes, partially healer, tank and support, but it all mixed together in one big bleh.
Would be nice to fully spec into non attacking backline healer/supporter only.
Not to mention, I PERSONALLY would like an option to remove some attack skills for extra utilities.