"Target Nearest Enemy" even worse now

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

No mention of a change to the “Target Nearest Enemy” hotkey function was noted in the release notes as far as I saw.

But it has been changed.

Now, I’m targeting things that are BEHIND me or otherwise out of line of sight rather than things that ARE visible. This means I often go into combat only to find myself shooting off to some other direction with a gap closer skill because something way off to one side I didn’t even know was there has now become slightly closer than the mob in front of me.

I didn’t think this function could get more wonky, but it has.

Why not just remove yellow (and white) mobs and inanimate objects from the possible targets list? THIS is something people have asked for for months, not the ability to attack targets they can’t even see.

Couple this with the current implementation of Autotarget that essentially causes you to target AND attack in one move if your current #1 skill is in range even with skills that have absolutely no offensive aspect, and the usual issues with click-targeting often being nearly impossible to manage, and since this patch I’m sometimes finding myself entirely out of control, wasting skills on passive inanimate objects, moas, and things I can see but sometimes can’t even reach taking priority over actual threats.

Alright, you dev type guys need to have a seat and think about this. Remove yellow and white mobs and passive inanimate objects as potential targets with the hotkey function. Players can target these at their leisure as they are not a threat. Better yet, let us select tickboxes in the options page to decide for ourselves whether we want moas, rats, and boxes of vegetables to be considered threat-worthy enough to be included in our valid targeting list.

You need to revert/remove this change that causes us to target things that are not in our field of view ESPECIALLY things that are behind us.

You need to detach the Autotarget function from ALL non-target-requiring skills. This is never required, and probably extremely rarely desired (some people may have figured out ways to use this funky effect, most only want to Autotarget something when they hit an offensive weapon/utility skill).

Now, some people probably think I should be using tab targeting. I don’t care for tab targeting except when dealing with champs. Autotargeting and Target Nearest are functions that are available but flat out just don’t work right and can be corrected, or at least reigned in so they’re more reliable/predictable.

Comments welcome of course, but I’d be highly interested in examples that can illustrate how these functionalities I advocate changing are of actual use/benefit.

tldr: Target Nearest now targets things out of field of view, including directly behind you. Inanimate objects and yellow/white mobs are still in the targeting options list. Autotarget option setting still autoATTACKS targets within range even when using entirely non-offensive skills. These things need to be fixed as quick targeting things has become even more unpredictable than before. Tab targeting is not under scrutiny here. Though yellow mobs/objects should be removed from all one-key targeting functions by tickbox option.

(edited by Kruhljak.2705)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Yeah, I noticed my targeting has been more frustrating of late. Tab isn’t picking up targets I need, sometimes going off to my side, and the de-select range is much less than range 1500.

The Tab oddness I can deal with (it sucks in all MMOs I’ve played), but the disengage range is getting on my nerves.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

I noticed that too. Really annoying.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Completely agree. The function has changed and it is picking up targets that are way behind you and out of sight. You need eyes in the back of your head to use this now. I’d suggest putting in a bug report as it just looks broken.

Yellow mobs cover a lot of things, like turrets and totems, and some of them are valid targets. Let’s get the function bug fixed before asking for improvements.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

No mention of a change to the “Target Nearest Enemy” hotkey function was noted in the release notes as far as I saw.

But it has been changed.

Now, I’m targeting things that are BEHIND me or otherwise out of line of sight rather than things that ARE visible. This means I often go into combat only to find myself shooting off to some other direction with a gap closer skill because something way off to one side I didn’t even know was there has now become slightly closer than the mob in front of me.

I didn’t think this function could get more wonky, but it has.

Why not just remove yellow (and white) mobs and inanimate objects from the possible targets list? THIS is something people have asked for for months, not the ability to attack targets they can’t even see.

Couple this with the current implementation of Autotarget that essentially causes you to target AND attack in one move if your current #1 skill is in range even with skills that have absolutely no offensive aspect, and the usual issues with click-targeting often being nearly impossible to manage, and since this patch I’m sometimes finding myself entirely out of control, wasting skills on passive inanimate objects, moas, and things I can see but sometimes can’t even reach taking priority over actual threats.

Alright, you dev type guys need to have a seat and think about this. Remove yellow and white mobs and passive inanimate objects as potential targets with the hotkey function. Players can target these at their leisure as they are not a threat. Better yet, let us select tickboxes in the options page to decide for ourselves whether we want moas, rats, and boxes of vegetables to be considered threat-worthy enough to be included in our valid targeting list.

You need to revert/remove this change that causes us to target things that are not in our field of view ESPECIALLY things that are behind us.

You need to detach the Autotarget function from ALL non-target-requiring skills. This is never required, and probably extremely rarely desired (some people may have figured out ways to use this funky effect, most only want to Autotarget something when they hit an offensive weapon/utility skill).

Now, some people probably think I should be using tab targeting. I don’t care for tab targeting except when dealing with champs. Autotargeting and Target Nearest are functions that are available but flat out just don’t work right and can be corrected, or at least reigned in so they’re more reliable/predictable.

Comments welcome of course, but I’d be highly interested in examples that can illustrate how these functionalities I advocate changing are of actual use/benefit.

tldr: Target Nearest now targets things out of field of view, including directly behind you. Inanimate objects and yellow/white mobs are still in the targeting options list. Autotarget option setting still autoATTACKS targets within range even when using entirely non-offensive skills. These things need to be fixed as quick targeting things has become even more unpredictable than before. Tab targeting is not under scrutiny here. Though yellow mobs/objects should be removed from all one-key targeting functions by tickbox option.

There is no SPECIFIC MENTION of “Target nearest” being messed with, but, THEY DID revamp the “world boss targeting”, so, it may have bugged the whole targeting system in general, which is normal for this game.

Here is the targeting change from the patch notes.
“Improved world boss targeting:
Increased tab selection priority for world bosses.
Improved in-world click selection for world bosses.
World bosses can now be selected by clicking on the corresponding health bar in the event panel.
Increased automatic deselection range for world bosses.”

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

Completely agree too, it’s a pain to play…

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.