Targeting: Auto, Ground, Self

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: UnbalancedJ.5386

UnbalancedJ.5386

Why can’t we individually toggle ALL ground-target skills between ground-target, auto-target, and self-target?

CTRL + MOUSE 2 toggles auto-attack. Perhaps ALT + MOUSE 2 could cycle between ground-, auto-, and self-target. The red crosshairs for ground-target could cycle between red, green, and blue for each of the three modes. This would not interfere with the General Options > Ground Targeting if a skill is ground-target.

The gears started turning as I was explaining the curious nature of Mesmer’s Feedback utility skill to a guildican. It’s an auto-target skill that acts like a ground-target skill.

Some examples:

Mesmer’s Feedback utility skill could be desired as a self-target defensive bubble, a strategic ground-target bubble, or the traditional offensive auto-target bubble.

Necromancer Well skills could be individually set to play style. Self-target Well of Blood (healing) and Well of Power (condi cleanse). Auto-target Well of Suffering and Well of Corruption.

Speaking of Necromancer, I would love the ability for staff mark skills to be an auto-target skill. One button press would plop the mark right at my target’s feet.

As a melee staff fire Elementalist, I cast Lava Font skill at my feet 99% of the time. The enemy is in my face and I want to damage them as well as might stack with Arcane Brilliance and Arcane Wave. I would love to self-target Lava Font at my position. I would also love Arcane Wave to self-target at my position, too.

Speaking of staff fire Elementalist, perhaps some players would like Flame Burst weapon skill to self-target. Perhaps other players would like for Flame Burst skill to be ground-target. I prefer the auto-target option that it is now.

Engineers with Grenade Kit utility would greatly benefit from this. Grenade Kit skill 1 could be auto-target. This would be highly desirable for PvE targets that don’t move around much, and not desirable for nimble PvP targets. Higher skilled PvP play would require a human brain to lead the ground-target cast to hit such mobile enemies.

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

Automatic AoE on target is the one thing I want most in this game. Admittedly, I’m just not fast enough for quick AoE skill use. I openly admit that. I’m not good enough to use the AoE system to full effect in battle situation, cause it takes me too long to use any of the currently available modes effectively.

So I have to use weapons and skills that don’t rely on AoE. I can’t play staff ele or staff necro, and I’m definitely not playing Dragonhunter in HoT.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

I can’t play my guardian anymore because of ground targeted consecrations. three out of four times, when I need to drop a purging flames to cleanse a stack of deadly conditions, I wind up casting it just far enough away from myself to not get the the condition cleanse.

Too many times have I tried to defend myself with a split second wall of reflection, only to have it appear behind me, causing me to eat whatever projectiles I was trying to stop.

Anet, If you’re going to force ground targeted consecrations on all guardians, at least let us lock the target circle at our feet.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: NeoSpud.7523

NeoSpud.7523

FYI this may or may not help, clicking the button instead of pressing the hot key will place the AOE on you and cast.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

FYI this may or may not help, clicking the button instead of pressing the hot key will place the AOE on you and cast.

I’m not a clicker, and hopefully never will be. 90% of combat situations, my finger is firmly planted on the right mouse button, ready to move my camera at a moment’s notice. Stopping to plant a ground target AoE feels clumsy to me. Clicking on skills feels even more clumsy.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

I’m not a clicker, and hopefully never will be. 90% of combat situations, my finger is firmly planted on the right mouse button, ready to move my camera at a moment’s notice. Stopping to plant a ground target AoE feels clumsy to me. Clicking on skills feels even more clumsy.

Just hover over a UI component when you’re getting ready to use skills like that. GT skills will default to a 0-range cast.

As for the topic itself, I’d rather see more fine-grained control. Namely an option that would dynamically change skills from ground targeted (when friendly or no target selected) to “at target” when an enemy’s selected.

Posted by: kohaku.4871

kohaku.4871

i agree, the new ground targeting has been more of a hindrance for me. i play with a controller and constant ground targeting is hard to do effectively, especially in pvp or wvw. i nolonger can play my fav well necro build because of the targeting. could we get a double click option added to apply ground targeting to activate directly under characters or something of that nature??

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Yea I too would like a toggle option especially for my guardian, it makes using consecrations a lot more difficult, especially underwater. It can have bad consequences in wvw as well, when running frontline and losing focus because your trying to click and target purging flames when its needed.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Posted by: Mor The Thief.9135

Mor The Thief.9135

If it would make the first skills of Grenade kit and Mortar kit of the engi auto-attacks, then i’m all for it.

Posted by: Kylden Ar.3724

Kylden Ar.3724

As for the topic itself, I’d rather see more fine-grained control. Namely an option that would dynamically change skills from ground targeted (when friendly or no target selected) to “at target” when an enemy’s selected.

Dear Six yes, can we have this?

Kylden
Leader of TACO mini-roamer guild, Kaineng.