Targeting Problems

Targeting Problems

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

In the last couple of days, I have been experiencing some targeting problems. I will target by clicking a foe with my ranger and I will get in range to fire with the little red arrow over the foe’s head. When I start firing, the target arrow will disappear and she will turn and start shooting at a deer or some other creature that is behind her or to the side.

It is getting frustrating. I haven’t had this problem in the past few weeks I have been playing this tune. Is this a new, known problem, or am I somehow causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Targeting Problems

Posted by: Mustafa.7684

Mustafa.7684

Yeah this is a bug. I think anet might be aware of it. When this happens just restart GW client. It will fix the problems most of the time.

Targeting Problems

Posted by: wolfram.8291

wolfram.8291

you might also be right clicking targets when you move your camera.

Targeting Problems

Posted by: Lord Kreegan.8123

Lord Kreegan.8123

Nope, not caused by right-clicking while moving the camera…

In the last day or so, on three different alts, I’ve found that targets got dropped… Not the old auto-targeting problem; not the usual TAB-targeting problem; this is new… Targets that do not have the ability to “vanish” or fly-out of line-of-sight to break targeting are breaking targeting. One moment I have a target; the next moment I have no target.

It’s more than frustrating; it leads to character deaths…

Just one more bug in GW2…

Targeting Problems

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

this has been happening to me lately as well. I thought they fixed it before but I guess it has cropped up again

Targeting Problems

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

I had an even stranger incident a little while ago. I had my warrior’s Throw Axe just pick a random target instead of what I had targeted. I was holding down the right mouse button as I was fighting, so it wasn’t a right-click issue, and my selected target never changed. I was standing in front of the grawl I was attacking, facing it, and my Throw Axe randomly targeted a neutral deer standing off on the lef edge of my screen.

This isn’t the first time in the last few days that I’ve had issues with Throw Axe causing unintended aggro, but in this case I know for a fact that my target did not change, and that there is no reason for that deer to have been hit. It wasn’t even standing in-line with the grawl to get it if the axe missed the intended target.

Most of my targetting issues do come from the right-click problem, or from using ground-targeted skills by left-clicking the target area. The targeted-skill left cick is understandable and worked around by using the skill number key to activate the skill, but the right-click issue needs to be fixed. Right-click targetting is reduntant and pointless. We do not need the same function on both primary mouse buttons, especially when camera panning is also stuck with the right button. An option to disable this on the right button, or to select which button to use for it, is a must.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Targeting Problems

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Same here over the last couple days or so. It doesn’t happen often for me but periodically the target will drop when I’ve done nothing to drop the target. One thing I would suggest for rangers especially is to select the Stop auto-attacking on target change in the game options. I think this is a good one anyway and I always have it selected, but it will save you problems if dropping a target picks up a new and potentially unwanted one.

Targeting Problems

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Ahhh the annoyances of using whirlwind attack and having your target deselected and using rush then running out into another mob. And even normal face-to-face game play it sometimes gets deselected.

I also get a problem when I right click and the cursor often goes to the other side of the screen and clicks on a person in my party.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Targeting Problems

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Yep, happens to me too – especially when ranged. Bloody annying :/ If that happened on my ele (which I hardly play) instead of my necro or ranger, I’d be dead within minutes…

Polka will never die

Targeting Problems

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Hmm it could be the right target clicking changing target and you may not realise it if the said target is culled – that is invisible to you and yes this does happen in PVE now at times….

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Targeting Problems

Posted by: FateZero.8536

FateZero.8536

Right clicking shouldn’t target anything. ANet should make it an option to select target with right clicking.

Targeting Problems

Posted by: oversoul soldier.1742

oversoul soldier.1742

Honestly the whole right click targeting should have an option for it to be disabled. I don’t know why this still has not been implemented into the game after all this time, maybe it’s not in yet because it makes too much sense. Really left clicking a target and the tab key is all that’s necessary; I don’t know who’s bright idea it was to include a third targeting option in right clicking which is also linked to camera manipulation.

Targeting Problems

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Honestly the whole right click targeting should have an option for it to be disabled. I don’t know why this still has not been implemented into the game after all this time, maybe it’s not in yet because it makes too much sense. Really left clicking a target and the tab key is all that’s necessary; I don’t know who’s bright idea it was to include a third targeting option in right clicking which is also linked to camera manipulation.

This is so true, such a totally unneeded option that is not even an option it is FORCED upon us. It really has to go.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Targeting Problems

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

I sense a "we’ve checked and doubled checked our targeting mechanics and have found nothing acting incorrectly… but please post all your evidence in another thread so we can actively laugh at you and ignore it for a whiles longer while we drink our coffee and eat out sandwiches. "…. hmmm sure I saw something similar around here once upon a time … ooh yeah that’s it percieved loot drops

Targeting Problems

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

Im running with disabled auto target. Happiest choice in my life xD

Targeting Problems

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Im running with disabled auto target. Happiest choice in my life xD

Great for melee. Not so great for range. PVP wise that is.

Players fighting with range and auto targeting have a second advantage of having auto lock on to you while you’re fumbling about to target them and shooting the floor in the mean time.