Tarnished Coast Question

Tarnished Coast Question

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DjJazzman.4031

DjJazzman.4031

Just started playing again and waiting on my game to finishing installing (kitten college campus internet connection.)

I’m an avid RPer when I started playing (and still am) and remembered Tarnished Coast being the designated RP server. Does anyone know if this is still true, or has the majority of the RP community migrated elsewhere?

Leyologist Tibbol, [I]Arcane Leyline Expert and Synergetics Graduate[/I] Tarnished Coast

Tarnished Coast Question

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

It’s still true.

Tarnished Coast Question

Posted by: oggyz.5610

oggyz.5610

I’m going to say yes. I believe Piken Square also, but I’m a TCer soo…I can only speak for my experience.

Who Is Oggy – Guardian Commander
For the Toast! (TC)

Tarnished Coast Question

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

How has TC RP changed since Megaservers, if at all?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Tarnished Coast Question

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Its not true. With megaservers, TC doesn’t exist except in wvw. If you try to RP with anyone trolls will come to you in an instant and try to stop you and your friends. The mega sever separates everyone, and its impossible to get on the same map as your fellow RPers.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Tarnished Coast Question

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Its not true. With megaservers, TC doesn’t exist except in wvw. If you try to RP with anyone trolls will come to you in an instant and try to stop you and your friends. The mega sever separates everyone, and its impossible to get on the same map as your fellow RPers.

This. TC and all other servers (outside of WvW) have ceased to exist except in name.

Tarnished Coast Question

Posted by: Slayer.4238

Slayer.4238

sadly RP is in a dark spot. While I have found other RPers randomly it is nowhere near as fun as the pre-megaserver days. Honestly the best method I have found to RP is to shout out in map chat, yes you may get trolls, but oh well. Right now we just have to hope that at some point Anet decides to pity us poor RPers and creates the RP tag/shard system.

Tarnished Coast Question

DjJazzman.4031

What about the RP guilds? Certainly those still exist.

Leyologist Tibbol, [I]Arcane Leyline Expert and Synergetics Graduate[/I] Tarnished Coast

Tarnished Coast Question

Posted by: Speckly.3729

Speckly.3729

What about the RP guilds? Certainly those still exist.

They exist, but being guilded isn’t enough to get you in with your group, especially when the events are being run in low-level zones or cities. Running even personal scenes with more people than can fit in a party is a pain. Actually, even being partied isn’t always enough to guarantee I get dropped in with my guildmates. And running the kind of multi-guild events we used to have (we could push maps into overflow in minutes under the old system just having roleplayers gather in one place) is 100% impossible now.

Tarnished Coast Question

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

This. TC and all other servers (outside of WvW) have ceased to exist except in name.

That’s only remotely true. 90% of the time, I see the same names in /map and /local chat since DR changed to mega server. I see more RPers now outside Salma gate than I did pre-patch. The only places that I regularly don’t see TCers is in places that used to have no one: Mount Maelstrom, Snowden Drifts, etc.

I wouldn’t say that Megaserger has had no impact on RPing or on Coasters building a community, but it’s relatively minor in my experience. The community is still (mostly) fantastic (we do have our trolls and disgruntled players, but much fewer than when I’m guesting to other servers, even post patch).

tl;dr if you are just starting the game, I would strongly recommend signing up for TC as your home world, and especially recommend it if you RP.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Tarnished Coast Question

DjJazzman.4031

That’s only remotely true. 90% of the time, I see the same names in /map and /local chat since DR changed to mega server. I see more RPers now outside Salma gate than I did pre-patch. The only places that I regularly don’t see TCers is in places that used to have no one: Mount Maelstrom, Snowden Drifts, etc.

I wouldn’t say that Megaserger has had no impact on RPing or on Coasters building a community, but it’s relatively minor in my experience. The community is still (mostly) fantastic (we do have our trolls and disgruntled players, but much fewer than when I’m guesting to other servers, even post patch).

tl;dr if you are just starting the game, I would strongly recommend signing up for TC as your home world, and especially recommend it if you RP.

Oh no, I’m an old vet, starting back during the very first day of launch. Was a native to Yak’s bend for two weeks before permenantly switching to Tarnished Coast.

Hopefully I can find a good community, looking into starting anew, retiring my Norn to make an Asura Engineer with my fiancé (also a bit of an RPer.) I’ve got plenty enough RP experience in my years to start up a guild if I have to.

Edit: So wait, I remember homeworlds and stuff back when I started, are they still here and its just an option to join the Megaserver?

(edited by DjJazzman.4031)

Tarnished Coast Question

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Oh no, I’m an old vet, starting back during the very first day of launch. Was a native to Yak’s bend for two weeks before permenantly switching to Tarnished Coast.

Hopefully I can find a good community, looking into starting anew, retiring my Norn to make an Asura Engineer with my fiancé (also a bit of an RPer.) I’ve got plenty enough RP experience in my years to start up a guild if I have to.

Edit: So wait, I remember homeworlds and stuff back when I started, are they still here and its just an option to join the Megaserver?

Homeworlds do still play a part in what shard you get placed in. They 100% determine where you play WvW.

Some reading to understand how the MegaServers are designed to work.:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-megaserver-system/
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-megaserver-system-world-bosses-and-events/
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-megaserver-system-guilds-and-the-future/
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-megaserver-rollout-is-complete-2/

When reading please pay special attention to words in the post that indicate probability so you don’t get your hopes up too much. They key part is as follows:

With the megaserver system, players won’t be separated into different copies of the same map based on the world they selected on character creation. Instead, you will simply arrive in a map and be assigned to the version of that map that makes the most sense for you as selected by the megaserver system we’ve developed. This new system takes your party, guild, language, home world, and other factors into account to match you to a version of the map you’re entering. This will increase the odds that you’ll see the same people more often and play with people of similar interests.
With megaserver technology, there are as many copies of a map as are needed to comfortably hold the population of players in that map at a given time. Rather than having a separate map copy for each home world and artificially limiting the amount of fellow adventurers you see, the megaserver system brings players together and dynamically opens up new map copies as necessary.

Also please be aware that it is a fairly new system and may require some tweaking and learning as things move along.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto