Tasks/hearts that go on for way too long

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: The Great Al.2546

The Great Al.2546

I think it would be helpful to have a list of tasks/hearts that take way too long or are otherwise way too boring/tedious.

The one that comes immediately to mind is the swamp heart in the 1-17 human zone (I think this heart was somewhere in the level 15-17 range). I was even participating in a dynamic event that took place inside the heart region, but this one just took FOREVER.

There was also one that took place in a pirate ship but there were almost no enemies that were spawning and otherwise not much else to do. I will look up the exact heart later.

Posted by: remix.9856

remix.9856

If the heart proves challenging/annoying just skip it and move on

Simple

Posted by: The Great Al.2546

The Great Al.2546

Simple

No, it’s not ‘simple’ when you are trying for 100% completion. And FYI, I have already completed the above hearts so this is not for my own benefit.

Would prefer constructive posts only, please.

Posted by: Vinjar.5638

Vinjar.5638

I dislike that quest in the swamp as well. It seems to take a long while. Other than that, they’re not too bad.

Posted by: Ruggy.7819

Ruggy.7819

If you want constructive answers make a constructive argument.

Did you think the swamp heart bad because:

1) each thing you did didn’t fill the bar enough?
2) not enough monsters/items in the area?
3) dynamic events in the area should include heart items/monsters at all times?

and so on.

People will read your original post and think you are just whining, you need to word it more clearly.

Maybe there is something wrong with that specific heart? I didn’t have any issues myself though.. I feel that if you are trying to get 100% world completion you need to take the rough as well as the smooth, theres no hurry to get there so just take your time.. regardless of whether the heart is ‘tedious’ or not.

Posted by: Drakkon.4782

Drakkon.4782

Simple

No, it’s not ‘simple’ when you are trying for 100% completion. And FYI, I have already completed the above hearts so this is not for my own benefit.

Seems to me that (s)he provided constructive criticism, but it wasn’t what you wanted to hear. You probably want to have people who agree with you post, but constructive criticism isn’t always just from those who agree with one another.

If a heart is too hard or annoying to do at a given time, move on and come back to it later. The great thing about the game is that the auto-level adjust means that the events will be a challenge, though not just as great, at higher levels. You can get 100% completion, even if you had to move on and not get it all at once. Yes, the OCD among us would prefer to have it all done in one go, but getting a 100% isn’t hard.

For the record, I’m a compulsive completionist and explorer. I want to get 100% complete in all the zones. I want to see everything there is to see. I want to read all the text, see all the cinematics, hear all the conversations.

So I know what you mean when you say that things going on for too long or interrupting your otherwise calculated path and prolonging the events makes you upset. But the advise to just move on and come back later is both constructive and spot on. If you’re not going to get it done right now, then don’t worry about it right now. Only worry about things you have control over. Like getting upset about things taking too long.

“People don’t hate Scarlet the way Game of Thrones
fans hate Joffrey. They hate her the way Star Wars
fans hate Jar Jar Binks.”-not a direct quote, but still true.

Posted by: Vyniea.2054

Vyniea.2054

One of the last one in the Norn beginning area that has you kill enemies around Crossroad Haven, the enemies that progress the heart are so few and as soon as you get too close to Svanir’s dome the other Heart comes up and you can’t continue the other.

Posted by: cosmatman.9306

cosmatman.9306

Simple

Seems to me that (s)he provided constructive criticism, but it wasn’t what you wanted to hear. You probably want to have people who agree with you post, but constructive criticism isn’t always just from those who agree with one another.

“Just dont do it” isnt helpful advice…

There is a good reason to do 100% completion in every map, and its not just for the achievment. In the starter zones, you get level 14 masterwork armor and weapons as a reward.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

One problem, what you are asking for is very subjective. For example, I felt like the swamp heart quest didn’t take any longer then another other heart, and felt like it was fun.

Posted by: manwhat.1745

manwhat.1745

I think a lot of the events that are ‘collect x things and bring them back to me’ feel too much like old-style MMO questing and take way too long to do. They’re not really dynamic since the enemies aren’t attacking you, they just sit there waiting for you to butcher them for parts.

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

Some heart events can seem like a drag, it is true. However, this is generally because a “similar” Dynamic Event is not going on in the surrounding area. Some which can take 30 minutes to finish – can be over and done with in 5 if a Dynamic Event is going on. DEs seem to be a bit bugged (as least on my server) recently, so when I’ve gone back to help friends to hearts I did, it was a bit of a drag.

I don’t think things need changing, however. We’re only at the end of week TWO.

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

I saw this topic title and immediately thought of the Queensdale swamp. God help you if there are a bunch of other players around destroying the portals before you can get to them.

Posted by: Meneh.2954

Meneh.2954

I love the quest system but I think OP has a point, indeed.
In some/most quests you will not have a problem but there are a few that takes really long time due to the lack of mobs/lootable items etc.

The swamp is indeed a good example, and another one that annoyed me was that Kessex hills quest where you have to find fallen Seraph badges etc.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

some heart challenges give very little “bar” for some tasks, a lot more for others. Killing monsters isnĀ“t always the best way to fill the heart e.g. Talk to the heart guys, read what he has to say, check the area. It makes me cry a little when I see people killing monsters you are supposed to test a new asura weapon on for example. There are really just very few annoyingly slow hearts in the game. Some areas have DEs you can start which will fill the hears as you go with the event and raising fallen NPCs in the area allways gives a considerable boost (as far as I know).

(edited by Algreg.3629)

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

You get this sometimes. I have a rule of thumb. Most renown hearts ask you to do any of several tasks.
1 task – anything over 15 of this is fairly tedious based on what it is
2 tasks – dont go over 8 of each
3 tasks – if ive done 5 of each thing and my bar isnt full im a little dissapointed
4 tasks – 5 of each thing is still fairly decent for 4 tasks simply because of the variety.

Another issue is synergy or lack thereof with dynamic events. There was one renown heart in I believe harathi, there were 2 tasks. Kill centaurs or something else. The only problem was that the dynamic events had already been finished, meaning there were no centaurs nearby. So I had to do the other (very boring) task ~25 times (as it gave way less completion than killing would have, if there had been monsters around)

bad synergy between renown hearts and dynamic events makes me sad.