Taunts come to gw2

Taunts come to gw2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

Cant wait to use it in pvp right before a enemy stomps a friend

On another note this might be a big thing when it comes to the new “never seen before” group content.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

where did you read that taunts are coming?

Though that would be so useful in dungeons. Especially when someone goes down and you wish them to get back up, but the boss isn’t done until they’re dead.

But that would also make most current organized content super easy. As people could just get bosses to run around in circles instead of attacking by taunting them from various different places.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Taunt

Taunts are here already!!!

Anyways, don’t think “taunt” in GW2 will be like ‘aggro grabs’ in other games.

Taunt is basically an “inverse fear”. It makes enemies move to target and then hit. But they may still break aggro and attack something else right when it ends, specially if they already had much higher aggression against a different target.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

I think we have to be careful with what we interpret into words like taunt given the current amount of reliable information.

I don’t think it will be comparable to a trinity-tank taunt. We’ll have to wait for more information, maybe even hands-on experience.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

In any way a reliable way to distract the bosses in dungeons for a few seconds would be welcome. For most you can use crowd control though (going trough 5 defiant stacks isn’t hard), but some are not crowd controllable.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Brahmincorle.1264

Brahmincorle.1264

Maybe if you taunt NPC it will say in chat “NO YOU!!!!!”

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

In any way a reliable way to distract the bosses in dungeons for a few seconds would be welcome. For most you can use crowd control though (going trough 5 defiant stacks isn’t hard), but some are not crowd controllable.

It’s a new CC, so it wouldn’t change anything in that respect.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I would imagine bosses will have the same resistances to Taunt as they currently do to Fear.

It will create an interesting dynamic in both PvP and PvE.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Just remember, the most important aspect of Taunts in other games is how they put the tank on TOP OF THE THREAT LIST. We have ZERO information what GW2 Taunt will do to Threat generation.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Just remember, the most important aspect of Taunts in other games is how they put the tank on TOP OF THE THREAT LIST. We have ZERO information what GW2 Taunt will do to Threat generation.

It’s been described as a reverse fear, so the enemy will attack you for 1-3 seconds (probably) and then go back to old threat model.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

This is what Halvorn meant:
Is that boss immune to fear? Then why are you even remotely assuming that it won’t be immune to a reverse fear?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

It’s been described as a reverse fear, so the enemy will attack you for 1-3 seconds (probably) and then go back to old threat model.

Then it’s not similar to “Taunts” from other games, like how many people are saying. “OMG I will play Tank now”. Hell no

Taunts come to gw2

Vukorep.3081

erm… doesnt anyone check the front page of gw2 anymore?
they released some info about the revenant as well as explained some new boons and conditions

one of the condition is Taunt. They explained that this will make your target run towards you and all skills except the auto atacks and stun breakers will be locked.

So yes, Taunt in gw2 works pretty much like any other taunt in any other game. Forces the target to run to you and atack you with the most basic atacks.

As for threat generation we have no idea about that, however this Taunt is a CONDITION and will act as such.

Another thing people seem to jump into conclusion about these new boons and conditions is that they would be as common as some regeneration boons…..

I seriously doubt you can stack a taunt duration for 30 secs+ on someone, just as well as you cant stack resistance to such ridiculous durations either…

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: fractal.7039

fractal.7039

Sweet Taunt….
The PVP implications sound awesome!

..so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn’t stop to think if they should

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Koviko.3248

Koviko.3248

eone of the condition is Taunt. They explained that this will make your target run towards you and all skills except the auto atacks and stun breakers will be locked.

So yes, Taunt in gw2 works pretty much like any other taunt in any other game. Forces the target to run to you and atack you with the most basic atacks.

That’s actually not true. The article didn’t say it will run to you

Taunt will be used to both reposition foes and change your foes’ targets. For example, when used on players, it will force the taunted player to run at their target with their skill bar locked—minus stun breakers—and only use their autoattack skill to attack. This gives us the opportunity to use taunt in multiple ways, not just as a player skill, but also as a tool to create interesting creature encounters that utilize this taunt effect against players.

While what they say here is a bit ambiguous, it doesn’t necessarily say that Taunt will force your opponent to attack you, but it will attack someone.

Taunts come to gw2

Vukorep.3081

eone of the condition is Taunt. They explained that this will make your target run towards you and all skills except the auto atacks and stun breakers will be locked.

That’s actually not true. The article didn’t say it will run to you

Taunt will be used to both reposition foes and change your foes’ targets. For example, when used on players, it will force the taunted player to run at their target with their skill bar locked—minus stun breakers—and only use their autoattack skill to attack. This gives us the opportunity to use taunt in multiple ways, not just as a player skill, but also as a tool to create interesting creature encounters that utilize this taunt effect against players.

While what they say here is a bit ambiguous, it doesn’t necessarily say that Taunt will force your opponent to attack you, but it will attack someone.

" when used on players, it will force the taunted player to run at their target with their skill bar locked—minus stun breakers—and only use their autoattack skill to attack."

…So you are saying that if i see a player attacking my ally, i can taunt him in order to make him keep running and attack him with only his auto atacks for a brief moment?…

That doesnt make sense for a skill called taunt. Im pretty sure your taunted target will be forced to run towards you,the player who taunted him/her. While it wont force him/her to attack you, he/she will only have auto atacks and stun breakers as skills to use.

If what you say is true, that the taunted player who is atacking someone will simply continue to run towards and attack the same target he was attacking before… then im sorry Anet..please change your taunt condition and call it mesmers power lock conditon or something like that…..

(edited by Vukorep.3081)

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

Unfortunately I am very concerned this is a potential prelude to trinity which I despise, I hope I’m proven wrong.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: theguildless.1386

theguildless.1386

As for threat generation we have no idea about that, however this Taunt is a CONDITION and will act as such.

A quick note: Taunt is not a condition, but a status effect, much like Revealed, quickness and so on. Thus it will most likely not act as a condition (e.g. being affected by condition removal or condition duration), but might be affected by stun duration.

Always question your assumptions.
Tarnished Coast

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Taunt reminds me of the Sinister Triad over at Brisdban Wildlands. The “tank” has this annoying ability to yank your attention and force you to run to him for a few seconds, which is a good demonstration of how ham-fisted and inelegant taunt abilities are in games with Trinity.

Makes me sad that it sounds like we’re going to get them as abilities now.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

Unfortunately I am very concerned this is a potential prelude to trinity which I despise, I hope I’m proven wrong.

I don’t think you have much to worry about. They have done a lone to compare taunt to fear which likely means it will be treated as a slightly weaker version of stun, but since it doesn’t make enemies flee it will have better team play than fear. Additionally like all CCs it will almost certainly be hampered on bosses by defiance stacks.

If I was to guess I think one place we will see Taunt used is the Mesmer. Either specialization wielding shield will open up a clone/phantasm that casts taunt or the current defender phantasm slot skill will be updated to cast taunt. Which if they combine that with torment and confusion will result in the ability to force enemies (even in pvp) to move and attack (but not the squishy mesmer) forcing condition damage.

Additionally a skill or two that currently causes stun/knockdown will be changed to a slightly (1s) longer taunt.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I am rather leery of taunt as it applies to WvW. In that mode we deal with numerous AoE effects both from massed characters casting in unison and things like Arrowcarts. At that scale Taunt becomes very different then what is envisioned in a 1v1 or one world boss against many.

The combat system is one of the best parts of GW2 specifically the ability to dodge and evade attacks or use ones own skill to mitigate the same. That becomes harder to do when control of ones own gameplay is surrendered to a game effect.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i hope there is also the other way around, a caster rather have the enemy attack their summon first so the DPS is applied before the summon dies.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

I am rather leery of taunt as it applies to WvW. In that mode we deal with numerous AoE effects both from massed characters casting in unison and things like Arrowcarts. At that scale Taunt becomes very different then what is envisioned in a 1v1 or one world boss against many.

The combat system is one of the best parts of GW2 specifically the ability to dodge and evade attacks or use ones own skill to mitigate the same. That becomes harder to do when control of ones own gameplay is surrendered to a game effect.

This statement could be used to describe stun, fear, launch, and knockdown which are already in the game and work well. Taunt will be no different to deal with.

Taunts come to gw2

Vukorep.3081

anyone else noticed how people tend to think that taunt and resistance will become this spamable aoe buff/debuff that all professions can use against eachother?

seriously… why do some of youthink these things will be available to all professions, and on that note why do some of you think its going to be spamable and aoe?

The other guy started rantnig on another topic about resistance boon,and how condition build will be totaly worthless since resistance can be applied and stacked in duration…

yea it can…but i doubt that all classes will get 5 skills that grant aoe resistance to everyone for 20 seconds ….

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

I think we have to be careful with what we interpret into words like taunt given the current amount of reliable information.

I don’t think it will be comparable to a trinity-tank taunt. We’ll have to wait for more information, maybe even hands-on experience.

Its basically a fear that has the enemy run into the opposite direction.

It has nothing to do with pve tank taunts from other MMOs.
Those are not a hard CC, those just build up a usually not visible aggro stat.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

My opinion is that there are so very few FX that make you lose control of your character. Also, stun breaks are ubiquitous and have such short CD’s that they’re always available. Since I so love losing control of my character in games, and since it happens so little already, you can imagine how thrilled I am at the described functionality of this mechanic.

Taunts come to gw2

Rin.1046

You will be, don’t worry. Anet do not want a hard trinity, just as much as you don’t.

Simplicity is complex.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

My opinion is that there are so very few FX that make you lose control of your character. Also, stun breaks are ubiquitous and have such short CD’s that they’re always available. Since I so love losing control of my character in games, and since it happens so little already, you can imagine how thrilled I am at the described functionality of this mechanic.

I take it you’ve not been on the “joyful” end of a “stunlocking-monkey fear train” in WvW where your stun-breakers are rendered near useless as you get exploded to nothing.

Adding the addition of taunt in there is going to make those fights even more “fun” for those on the receiving end.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I see Taunt more like a life saver type of skill to give more uses to player that decided to not go full glass cannon, without forcing you to bring a tank.

If someone’s going to die you can Taunt the boss and spam Shield Stance, Endure Pain, Counterblow or just tank it like a man, then after the duration the boss gains control of itself again and the fight resumes normally.

Of course, this is assuming that Defiance will not get in the way, and given how this has the potential to use used to shut down or delay a boss’ skills, this is far from guaranteed.

Taunts come to gw2

Rin.1046

I wonder what a taunted foe will do if the taunting player is stealthed before the condition ends. Will they follow the taunter or run to the last known position?

Can’t wait to try out these new toys.

Simplicity is complex.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I wonder what a taunted foe will do if the taunting player is stealthed before the condition ends. Will they follow the taunter or run to the last known position?

Can’t wait to try out these new toys.

or if the person jumps off a cliff … maybe a use for Rune of Snowfall

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Brahmincorle.1264

Brahmincorle.1264

The easiest solution for devs would be giving every boss imunity against taunt which would make it pretty much PvP only skill

Taunts come to gw2

Arkinos.7245

The easiest solution for devs would be giving every boss imunity against taunt which would make it pretty much PvP only skill

Why? Taunt will be a standard CC, bosses already have ways of dealing with CC.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Taunt-100b combo?

There you go warriors, instead of making 100b mobile, you can make your opponent move into it for you XD

Taunts come to gw2

Arkinos.7245

I really wonder why people make such a fuss out of taunts.

Its just another hard cc, while it might work a little better thanks to being ranged, its functionally not very different from a stun or knockdown.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Its just another hard cc, while it might work a little better thanks to being ranged, its functionally not very different from a stun or knockdown.

It is quite different because it moves your opponent. Positioning is a very important element of combat, and being able to force someone out of position like that can be quite dangerous for them.

I would consider it to be more powerful than fear (as a CC at least, necros can get it to do massive damage) because fear can put your opponent away from you and possibly towards their allies, whereas taunt can leave them more isolated and exposed.

For instance, let’s say you’re in WvW and having a standoff with some guys near their tower. Typically, their backs will be towards their tower, so if you fear them it will move them towards it, putting them in further protection of their guards and making it so that they can get in their gate more easily. However, if you taunt them, it draws them away from their guards and gate, so that it’s more difficult for them to scramble to safety afterwards, even if they use a stun breaker.

Same thing with ZvZ. If you fear a dude in a zerg, they’ll typically run further back into their zerg. But if you taunt them, it can draw them out of their zerg, at which point they can be mauled by your zerg.

Of course, one could argue that taunt less useful in other situations, such as if you’re trying to kite or run away from someone, and it doesn’t seem like it would be as useful for knocking people off cliffs (at least no less useful than a pull skill).

There’s also the notion that you can force them to auto attack and combine it with confusion to force them to take damage, but I’m a bit skeptical on how effective that will be.

All in all, we’d really need to see more actual details of taunt abilities before we can really judge their efficacy.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Because some of the vocal community are hell-bent on the anti trinity, that’s any resemblance to, including soft,light, hard or however you want to label it.

I hope as these HoT info releases continue we will see how Anet wants to evolve their combat system. I hope to see more information on other ways outside resistance,slow,taunt they plan to change, or put more of an emphasis on in HoT encounters and pvp.

and are these three slow,taunt, and resistance it?
“New boons, conditions, and status effects have been added to the revenant as well as spread across other professions’ specializations. These are cool ways we’ll allow players to interact with new types of skills in our combat system.”

PLaying other mmo’s I have a good idea how taunt works, and the different ways games implement it into their combat system, Anet used the term taunt, it’s taunt (aggro management).
“In this expansion, we wanted to open up gameplay options using taunt. Taunt will be used to both reposition foes and change your foes’ targets.”

either way real good stuff.

JQ Druid

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

Anyways, don’t think “taunt” in GW2 will be like ‘aggro grabs’ in other games.

Taunt is basically an “inverse fear”. It makes enemies move to target and then hit.

I honestly don’t see much of an effective difference and I don’t think ArenaNet do either or they wouldn’t have called them taunts.

My first thought on seeing taunts was is this ArenaNet backing away from their decision to almost completely abandon traditional MMO trinity roles? I hope it is.

There’s a lot to enjoy in GW2 but the game is basically designed so that DPS is king and that’s how everyone gears themselves up and plays. It’s very one dimensional.

Taunts come to gw2

Lazaar.9123

Okay, here’s the deal. Taunt will not change the game into a trinity system, as the game is built from the ground up to not have it. Nor is there any indication that is has anything at all to do with threat. People will continue to use berserker stats, and will just use taunt to reposition enemies. So, let’s put these trinity reactions and pleading to rest, yes?

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

Since I so love losing control of my character in games, and since it happens so little already, you can imagine how thrilled I am at the described functionality of this mechanic.

Try pouring water on your keyboard. :P

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Okay, here’s the deal. Taunt will not change the game into a trinity system, as the game is built from the ground up to not have it. Nor is there any indication that is has anything at all to do with threat. People will continue to use berserker stats, and will just use taunt to reposition enemies. So, let’s put these trinity reactions and pleading to rest, yes?

all you need for a trinity system is forced aggro control. we already have heals

that said if this is only available on a few classes, and has sufficient cooldown, your probably wont have enough forced agro control for a trinity to take hold completely.

However it is a step in that direction.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

well if you run staff as a necro just autobind skill 5 then you’ll have 2 ppl running

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Taunts come to gw2

Lazaar.9123

all you need for a trinity system is forced aggro control. we already have heals

that said if this is only available on a few classes, and has sufficient cooldown, your probably wont have enough forced agro control for a trinity to take hold completely.

That would still not bring a traditional trinity, because people can already heal themselves, and content does not require a tank.

(edited by Lazaar.9123)

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

That would still not bring a traditional trinity, because people can already heal themselves, and content does not require a tank.

it doesnt have to require a tank, if its easier and faster with a tank.
a lot of games you could win without a tank, its just a lot more risky, and slower.

point is once someone can focus agro on himself, other people can focus on dps, and sacrifice their own defenses, then it might be worthwhile for someone else to focus on healing stats/skills to keep them alive, and yes you can actually heal a lot if you focus on it.

if they ever make challenging encounters, you will find more people going for the safer route, than the fastest unless the difference in speed is drastic.

however as i said, 1 or 2 skills, on 1 or two classes with cooldowns, wont be enough to create that situation, they would need to be able to make the monster attack them the majority of the time.

Taunts come to gw2

Lazaar.9123

it doesnt have to require a tank, if its easier and faster with a tank.
a lot of games you could win without a tank, its just a lot more risky, and slower.

point is once someone can focus agro on himself, other people can focus on dps, and sacrifice their own defenses, then it might be worthwhile for someone else to focus on healing stats/skills to keep them alive, and yes you can actually heal a lot if you focus on it.

if they ever make challenging encounters, you will find more people going for the safer route, than the fastest unless the difference in speed is drastic.

however as i said, 1 or 2 skills, on 1 or two classes with cooldowns, wont be enough to create that situation, they would need to be able to make the monster attack them the majority of the time.

Tanking has and always will be slower than pure dps in Guild Wars 2, nothing will change that. PvE content isn’t challenging. This game is advertised to have no holy trinity, if people come to this game expecting it, it’s their own fault. My last post in this thread, as I have made my points.

(edited by Lazaar.9123)

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Doesnt the description of taunt indicate that it forces the recipient to focus on their existing target, not necessarily the caster? How would a “tank” ensure that he golds aggro if he was not the taunted individual’s target?

Perhaps I am misreading the description but it looks like the opposite of a trinity aggro control system. Imagine a trinity game where taunting a foe who was attacking your group’s healer forced him to continue to go after the healer to the exclusion of other possible targets.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I take it you’ve not been on the “joyful” end of a “stunlocking-monkey fear train” in WvW where your stun-breakers are rendered near useless as you get exploded to nothing.

Adding the addition of taunt in there is going to make those fights even more “fun” for those on the receiving end.

Sorry. Perhaps my sarcasm was too subtle.

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

Group that blob up and let the backline blow em up with new warrior shout, “Come at me.”

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]
I honestly don’t see much of an effective difference and I don’t think ArenaNet do either or they wouldn’t have called them taunts.

My first thought on seeing taunts was is this ArenaNet backing away from their decision to almost completely abandon traditional MMO trinity roles? I hope it is.

There’s a lot to enjoy in GW2 but the game is basically designed so that DPS is king and that’s how everyone gears themselves up and plays. It’s very one dimensional.

There’s an important difference.

GW2 doesn’t have “aggro” in the sense many games have. Enemies do not focus just on single enemies.

They have an ‘aggression’ value for every enemy in range, and they will not just go for the one with the highest aggression. There’s other factors that change and randomize who a NPC will attack.

Because of this, unless taunt affects aggression directly and greatly, which it will probably won’t, taunt may make the enemy walk 2-4 seconds towards you, but right after it ends they may simply go back to their previous target.

How they call it is irrelevant. ANet calls things with different names for lore reasons constantly.

There’s no “death” for players. Only “defeat”. “Class” is the armor weight. “Profession” is the equivalent of “class” in other games. And so on. What’s called is irrelevant.

For what we know now, taunt is simple the inverse of fear, not an aggro grab tool.

ANet won’t make the mistake of going back to the trinity. They need to fix the berserker predominance, but going back to trinity is not the way.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Taunts come to gw2

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

Being reverse fear does that mean instead of being unable to use any skills but interrupt, you can use all skills at once against the taunter…. Awesome!