Temporary content, achievements, and OCD

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Moz.8264

Moz.8264

I quit last year sometime after the Karka event, I’m back and I noticed I missed 4 or 5 temporary events that I can’t complete the achievements for. From what I heard Anet does this to bring players back in.

So, what’s the point? Collecting achievements is about completeness but I’m unable to complete them in the first place. I could even go back to GW1 and start grinding achievements for Hall of Monuments in GW2.

This is very discouraging for new players and returning players, does anyone else feel the same?

Posted by: War Siren.2346

War Siren.2346

Pretty much, mate but they are dead set on doing this so what can we do.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Maybe you should return sooner :p

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Collecting achievements is about completeness but I’m unable to complete them in the first place.

This is very discouraging for new players and returning players, does anyone else feel the same?

I agree that collecting achievements is about completeness.

Now, with that in mind, new and returning players do not have the complete experience as they were not playing through everything since the start. It’s a risk you take when you leave a dynamic game such as this.

Moz.8264

And I thought the beauty of Guild Wars was I could drop and start playing the game anytime I wanted, this is disappointing

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

And I thought the beauty of Guild Wars was I could drop and start playing the game anytime I wanted, this is disappointing

You can, just don’t expect to get the dynamic stuff that keeps changing. Logging in once every 2 weeks isn’t exactly holding a gun to your head :p

To experience the content doesn’t take too long.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I used to think collecting achievements was about completeness, but I’ve changed. Because there are some achievements simply not worth doing…and I’m not going to force myself to do them just because they’re sitting on a page.

While I agree that some people do want to complete every single achievement, last Halloween, I couldn’t do the jumping puzzle. I couldn’t complete it. The Christmas one…no problem. Halloween, not a chance. Maybe next year.

But the thing is, once I didn’t have that achievement, I realized, hey, I’m not going to get every achievement and from that point on, I enjoyed the game more.

Not for everyone, of course, but this is my experience with achievements.

Moz.8264

There’s a Moa race achievement, it cost 50 silver a pop at a chance to get the achievement, how are new players suppose to afford this? This is ridiculous, I’m pretty sure less than 1% of players actually have all the achievements.

Why the sudden change? Last year the achievements were feasible, even the holiday ones, now it’s just pointless

Vayne.8563

There’s a Moa race achievement, it cost 50 silver a pop at a chance to get the achievement, how are new players suppose to afford this? This is ridiculous, I’m pretty sure less than 1% of players actually have all the achievements.

Why the sudden change? Last year the achievements were feasible, even the holiday ones, now it’s just pointless

Okay now this I have an objection too. The Emporer title costs a whole lot more than 50 silver and that’s been in the game since launch. How are new players supposed to get it? They save for it, that’s how.

Not everything needs to be attainable right away.

Moz.8264

Okay now this I have an objection too. The Emporer title costs a whole lot more than 50 silver and that’s been in the game since launch. How are new players supposed to get it? They save for it, that’s how.

Yeah but the Moa Race achievement is time limited, the Emperor title is permanent and allows people to work for it in time

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Someone pointed out in another thread that there are some WvWvW related achievements that will literally take YEARS of dedicated effort to achieve. And I don’t mean one or two years, I mean doing the same exact thing 8 hours a day for like five years without a day off.

If you seriously consider ticking off a series of boxes on a list to be such an important activity that it will consume years of your life, I feel sorry for you.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

im agianst temp content first its stupid EXTREMLY stupid secound i wanna do brake and come back and do all accivments im elitist about accivments but somehow i cant take brake and iv i miss one 100% ill quit so new players cant even touch the accivments this is boolkitten

tolunart.2095

im agianst temp content first its stupid EXTREMLY stupid secound i wanna do brake and come back and do all accivments im elitist about accivments but somehow i cant take brake and iv i miss one 100% ill quit so new players cant even touch the accivments this is boolkitten

Yeah, like that.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I guess that makes me the 1%. While I don’t have titles such as The Emperor (fixed it for you, Vayne), Miniature Collector, or a lot of the PvP titles, I do make it my goal to get every temporary achievement.

At the beginning, I was frustrated with the Aetherblade Dungeon, but I told myself: “I WILL complete this.” I proceeded to stop doing everything else in the game, including dailies and only do Aetherblade Retreat.

After a while, I got the hang of it. Now, the dungeon is easy and I’ve gotten all the achievements in it, and all the achievements took me about 11 ingame hours.

I was also frustrated with the Toypocalypse, but I did that one in about 2 ingame hours (and they proceeded to make it easier the next day, herpppppp).

And, I was frustrated with Clocktower, which also took me about 8 ingame hours.

It’s just about powerhousing through if you have the time. If you don’t, just don’t worry about it. The achievement won’t come to your door and stab you.

Moz.8264

Someone pointed out in another thread that there are some WvWvW related achievements that will literally take YEARS of dedicated effort to achieve. And I don’t mean one or two years, I mean doing the same exact thing 8 hours a day for like five years without a day off.

If you seriously consider ticking off a series of boxes on a list to be such an important activity that it will consume years of your life, I feel sorry for you.

I don’t see a problem with achievements that would take years to get, I have a problem with achievements that expire and never have access to. This game is almost built around completing achievements. So what’s the point? Why bother with achievements anymore?

tolunart.2095

I don’t see a problem with achievements that would take years to get, I have a problem with achievements that expire and never have access to. This game is almost built around completing achievements. So what’s the point? Why bother with achievements anymore?

I never bothered with them in the first place. I play the game and once in a while a message pops up “Harpy Slayer – 2000 kills” I say “huh,” and continue playing. But I don’t go “oh, I still need my 5000 kills with a left-handed cheese grater achievement, I’ll buy an exotic one off the TP and dedicate the next week of my life to grating every mob I see.”

But then, I grew up during an era where they didn’t hand out trophies just for showing up. I don’t need a gold star on my homework assignment to feel good about myself.

If the game itself isn’t enough to keep you playing, why should a checklist and a handful of titles make it so?

Moz.8264

I never bothered with them in the first place. I play the game and once in a while a message pops up “Harpy Slayer – 2000 kills” I say “huh,” and continue playing. But I don’t go “oh, I still need my 5000 kills with a left-handed cheese grater achievement, I’ll buy an exotic one off the TP and dedicate the next week of my life to grating every mob I see.”

But then, I grew up during an era where they didn’t hand out trophies just for showing up. I don’t need a gold star on my homework assignment to feel good about myself.

If the game itself isn’t enough to keep you playing, why should a checklist and a handful of titles make it so?

What else is there to do in the game? Grinding legendaries is almost the same as grinding achievements.

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

I find 2 weeks updates annoying, not exciting or anything. Content updates with achievements every month would be fine, because I do spvp/wvw and this ocd/completionist in me NEEDS to finish all these achievements because I know for a fact I can’t do them later next month for example. It’s annoying for me.
I’m not bothered about other achievs which are permanent like spvp or explorer achievs and I’ll do them whenever I feel like it, but this just forces me to do living story achievs, especially now with the reward system for achievement points. If I would ever need to take a break for 3-4 months I would not come back to the game knowing I can’t have those specific skins/items/achiev points which were only available for a certain time. But that’s just me.

I also agree it’s not fair for new players, but there’s nothing you can do about it tbh so, get over it, but the 14 day updates ? waaaay too often, once per month of achievement/content updates along with balance updates would be just great, I don’t understand why on earth it has to be 14 days, probably to keep the carebear community who are bored with the game entertained with the living story.

tolunart.2095

What else is there to do in the game? Grinding legendaries is almost the same as grinding achievements.

I don’t do either, and I’ve been playing off an on since last September. If you really don’t see any other options this isn’t the right game for you.

Moz.8264

I don’t do either, and I’ve been playing off an on since last September. If you really don’t see any other options this isn’t the right game for you.

I asked what else is there to do in this game and you say the game isn’t for me, what? I don’t think you’re aware endgame is pretty much cosmetic.

tolunart.2095

I asked what else is there to do in this game and you say the game isn’t for me, what? I don’t think you’re aware endgame is pretty much cosmetic.

I have 14 character slots and five max-level toons. I’ve never done guild missions, fractals, and only ever entered one dungeon since I started playing the game, and I have not yet run out of things to do. Most of my toons have a specific look that I like, I’m an artist and visual appeal is very important to me.

There is no such thing as “endgame.”

Moz.8264

I have 14 character slots and five max-level toons. I’ve never done guild missions, fractals, and only ever entered one dungeon since I started playing the game, and I have not yet run out of things to do. Most of my toons have a specific look that I like, I’m an artist and visual appeal is very important to me.

So you’re saying endgame is rerolling chars? Wonderful!

tolunart.2095

I’m saying if you don’t find within yourself a reason to continue playing, don’t expect Anet to hand-deliver one in a gold-plated box.

Moz.8264

I’m saying if you don’t find within yourself a reason to continue playing, don’t expect Anet to hand-deliver one in a gold-plated box.

I never said I wouldn’t stop playing, I just said achievements at this point are bogus because of temporary content.

tolunart.2095

Achievements are bogus, period. They mean absolutely nothing.

They started out as a cheap psychological manipulation that targets people who have difficulty achieving real life goals in order to lock them into paying a monthly sub for a game that hands out gold stars every time they “achieve” some imaginary goal. Play the game because you like the game, not because it gives you an endorphin rush every time it dings.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

Moz.8264

And I can argue that “an artist and visual appeal” on toons is bogus and means absolutely nothing.

tolunart.2095

And I can argue that “an artist and visual appeal” on toons is bogus and means absolutely nothing.

LOL go ahead.

Vayne.8563

Yeah but the Moa Race achievement is time limited, the Emperor title is permanent and allows people to work for it in time

The moa race is permanent content, not time limited.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Not rerolling, rolling new ones. It is endgame for some people, including myself. Endgame is what you make it.

If you aren’t going to play the game then why should you get what others have received? If you’re late to the bucks party and the stripper is just packing up, do you really think she/he will perform again just for you?

Achievement points are just a bit of fun (much like strippers!). If you’re able to treat them as such then you may feel less disappointment.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Moz.8264

LOL go ahead.

Already did

Moz.8264

I thought it was part of the dragon bash achievements?

tolunart.2095

LOL go ahead.

Already did

Feel better now?

Moz.8264

Not rerolling, rolling new ones. It is endgame for some people, including myself. Endgame is what you make it.

If you aren’t going to play the game then why should you get what others have received? If you’re late to the bucks party and the stripper is just packing up, do you really think she/he will perform again just for you?

Achievement points are just a bit of fun (much like strippers!). If you’re able to treat them as such then you may feel less disappointment.

Rerolling chars isn’t fun for a lot of people. Not having access to achievements is redundant, it’s like buying a game and saying “Hey look at all these achievements you’ll never get because we locked the content away” Also comparing video games to strippers, what the kitten?

Moz.8264

LOL go ahead.

Already did

Feel better now?

Sure.

tolunart.2095

I thought it was part of the dragon bash achievements? [/quote]

Some LS elements will be permanent.

zenleto.6179

Doesn’t mean it’s temporary. The LS content will include some permanent additions to the world.

tolunart.2095

LOL go ahead.

Already did

Feel better now?

Sure.

Happy to help, snowflake.

Posted by: Kal.9760

Kal.9760

I completely agree. I have found myself in a similar position. I took a break from the game after the Karka event and shortly returned to find I had missed a couple events. Unfortunately this seems to mean I am at a permanent disadvantage because I have missed a small window of time in which I could have earned valuable achievements and limited items.

It irks me knowing that players are at this disadvantage if they can’t abide by ArenaNet’s schedule.

(edited by Kal.9760)

Moz.8264

LOL go ahead.

Already did

Feel better now?

Sure.

Happy to help, snowflake.

“Most of my toons have a specific look that I like, I’m an artist and visual appeal is very important to me.”

Ok snowflake.

zenleto.6179

I completely agree. I have found myself in a similar position. I took a break from the game after the Karka event and shortly returned to find I had missed a couple events. Unfortunately this seems to mean I am at a permanent disadvantage as I have missed a small window of time in which I could earn valuable achievements and limited items.

It irks me knowing that players are at this disadvantage if they can’t abide by ArenaNet’s schedule.

What sort of disadvantage? I’m not trolling you, I’m interested to know the hows and whys.

Vayne.8563

Though it’s listed as part of the dragonbash achievements, it’s still permanent content added with dragonbash. After dragonbash goes away the moa race will remain.

Posted by: stayBlind.7849

stayBlind.7849

Though it’s listed as part of the dragonbash achievements, it’s still permanent content added with dragonbash. After dragonbash goes away the moa race will remain.

How exciting.

Mini games with the depth of Facebook games keep me on the edge of my seat.

tolunart.2095

“Most of my toons have a specific look that I like, I’m an artist and visual appeal is very important to me.”

Ok snowflake.

LOL oh, you’re trying to upset me or something. I wondered what the point was.

No legendaries, no cultural tier 3, no abyss dyes… I found the styles of armor and weapons I liked on the TP, used transmute stones and some cheap dyes, and the toons look the way I like. Since I’m the only one who cares what they look like, they please me.

Not sure why your disapproval is supposed to matter, though.

Vayne.8563

How exciting.

Mini games with the depth of Facebook games keep me on the edge of my seat.

The new jumping puzzle is permanent too. The karka event was permanent before that. Anet says they’re going to increase the amount of permanent content moving forward as well.

Whether you like it personally or not, there are people who really do like the moa race (I’m not one of them).

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

I quit last year sometime after the Karka event, I’m back and I noticed I missed 4 or 5 temporary events that I can’t complete the achievements for. From what I heard Anet does this to bring players back in.

So, what’s the point? Collecting achievements is about completeness but I’m unable to complete them in the first place. I could even go back to GW1 and start grinding achievements for Hall of Monuments in GW2.

1) It’s nobody’s fault but your own that you missed those events. However, this is no different than real life when an event like a rock concert is missed, or the Jannet Jackson showing nipple at the Super Bowl (Achievement: Wardrobe Malfunction), which are one-time events that will not happen again. If missed, they are tough luck situations.

2) GW2 is unlike other games on the market. Living World does not mean static world. These bits are a changing story that comes and goes in new chapters. However, after those chapters are read, they are burned (so to speak). Some of the charred pieces remain such as statues, monuments, and world landmarks, but the meat of it is ashes from which the next chapter is born like a phoenix.

My opinion is that I disagree with you. I love this game. I like how it’s so unique and different than every other clone out there on the market. Those other games can have their additional raid every 4 months, 3 additional dungeons every couple of months, and the emptiness of content that’s less than 6 years old. This game, the older content keeps getting refreshed, traveled, and enjoyed. This is stacked upon by the very fun Living Story content.

tolunart.2095

What sort of disadvantage? I’m not trolling you, I’m interested to know the hows and whys.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I didn’t finish the achievements for Halloween, stopped playing from Lost Shores to after Wintersday so I never even saw any of that content. Flame and Frost didn’t grab me, I got the “volunteer” title, did the instances and ran through the dungeon once, but never got the fiery hands thingie. I wandered around Southsun a bit but don’t have either backpack, Dragon Bash was pretty cool, I got the wings but they’re just annoying. I guess the aetherblade stuff is about jumping puzzles or something, I haven’t even looked at it. There’s a monocle? I dunno.

And somehow, my life doesn’t feel empty despite all these unchecked boxes and missing virtual items.

zenleto.6179

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I didn’t finish the achievements for Halloween, stopped playing from Lost Shores to after Wintersday so I never even saw any of that content. Flame and Frost didn’t grab me, I got the “volunteer” title, did the instances and ran through the dungeon once, but never got the fiery hands thingie. I wandered around Southsun a bit but don’t have either backpack, Dragon Bash was pretty cool, I got the wings but they’re just annoying. I guess the aetherblade stuff is about jumping puzzles or something, I haven’t even looked at it. There’s a monocle? I dunno.

And somehow, my life doesn’t feel empty despite all these unchecked boxes and missing virtual items.

Same, pretty much. I enjoyed Frost and Flame and the Dragonbash but the others have left me a bit cold.

I don’t get why people seem to think achievement points are so important. Each to their own, though.

tolunart.2095

I don’t get why people seem to think achievement points are so important. Each to their own, though.

I’ve read the arguments comparing MMOs to the Skinner Box (Press a button, get a prize! Sometimes… keep pressing those buttons till you get a prize. Now press some more.), it’s easy to see how fake challenges results in fake rewards. I’ve been on both sides of the “standing around the capital city showing off your shiny high-level armor” and so on…

The more I learn about them, the more I tend to agree that MMOs and similar games were designed to target emotionally vulnerable individuals and get them addicted to the rush of fake achievement in order to squeeze as much money out of them as possible. Considering the longevity of WoW and the astonishing amounts people can spend on “free” games like Farmville it’s hard to argue that this isn’t an effective strategy.

I play the games because they are fun, and stop playing when they aren’t. I have no problem throwing a few dollars to gems every few months, but I also don’t feel any compulsion to do so. Unfortunately many people in the target market for these games do not have very much self control. And the companies making the games like it that way.

tolunart.2095

Oh…. I finished the “burn 50 dragon effigies” achievement tonight… not because I had to, I just think it’s fun to watch them dance.

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

Part of the reason the devs are continuing with the Living Story (ie, temp stuff) is because people have asked them for more ways to feel that the world of GW2 is a living, breathing world (read their news post about it).

Rightly or wrongly (I make no judgements here), the devs interpreted this demand as a way to make the world feel a little bit more like real life. This goes by with or without you. So the events aren’t necessarily designed so that we can get all the achievements for all of them. They’re there if you can, have the time, want to, but they’re not necessary to progression.

I don’t think the achievement points you get from each are so much that you will be at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to a lot of what the game has to offer, as there are several other ways to gain these points. I’ve missed several, but you’re always going to be behind someone else no matter what. There will ALWAYS be someone with more points than you.

I’m not a huge fan of the LS stuff in general, as I too dislike feeling like I’m “missing out”, but I don’t get hugely fussed by it because that’s part of what I think they’re aiming for … not to make you miss out, but to make you feel like the world is moving, changing, with or without your input – that is, it is LIVING. And this IS something that people have asked for.