Temporary content, achievements, and OCD

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Go to your psychologist and ask for treatment. OCD can be a debilitating handicap, don’t let it spiral out of control. We at this forum are not qualified to help you with any medical conditions.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

I find 2 weeks updates annoying, not exciting or anything. Content updates with achievements every month would be fine, because I do spvp/wvw and this ocd/completionist in me NEEDS to finish all these achievements because I know for a fact I can’t do them later next month for example. It’s annoying for me.
I’m not bothered about other achievs which are permanent like spvp or explorer achievs and I’ll do them whenever I feel like it, but this just forces me to do living story achievs, especially now with the reward system for achievement points. If I would ever need to take a break for 3-4 months I would not come back to the game knowing I can’t have those specific skins/items/achiev points which were only available for a certain time. But that’s just me.

I also agree it’s not fair for new players, but there’s nothing you can do about it tbh so, get over it, but the 14 day updates ? waaaay too often, once per month of achievement/content updates along with balance updates would be just great, I don’t understand why on earth it has to be 14 days, probably to keep the carebear community who are bored with the game entertained with the living story.

So … you’re fine for it to be too bad for new players and they need to “get over it”, but if it affects you then it’s a problem? What if they too suffer from your completionist drive? Why should they play at all if they know from the start they can’t achieve everything?

If your advice to one group is to get over it, then surely you can see how it applies just as strongly to you?

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

I asked what else is there to do in this game and you say the game isn’t for me, what?

you must be relatively new to these forums

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

What else is there to do in the game? Grinding legendaries is almost the same as grinding achievements.

I don’t do either, and I’ve been playing off an on since last September. If you really don’t see any other options this isn’t the right game for you.

I asked what else is there to do in this game and you say the game isn’t for me, what? I don’t think you’re aware endgame is pretty much cosmetic.

I have 14 character slots and five max-level toons. I’ve never done guild missions, fractals, and only ever entered one dungeon since I started playing the game, and I have not yet run out of things to do. Most of my toons have a specific look that I like, I’m an artist and visual appeal is very important to me.

There is no such thing as “endgame.”

How the hell is that even possible?
I only have 1 lvl 80 and 5 50-40lvls and I’ve done almost absolutely everything.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

What else is there to do in the game? Grinding legendaries is almost the same as grinding achievements.

I don’t do either, and I’ve been playing off an on since last September. If you really don’t see any other options this isn’t the right game for you.

I asked what else is there to do in this game and you say the game isn’t for me, what? I don’t think you’re aware endgame is pretty much cosmetic.

I have 14 character slots and five max-level toons. I’ve never done guild missions, fractals, and only ever entered one dungeon since I started playing the game, and I have not yet run out of things to do. Most of my toons have a specific look that I like, I’m an artist and visual appeal is very important to me.

I only have 1 lvl 80 and 5 50-40lvls and I’ve done almost absolutely everything.

I still haven’t done everything and I’ve played a lot more than you have.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

I don’t rush to the “endgame.” The concept itself is ridiculous to me. You have to finish the game so you can play the game? Nonsense. If I don’t enjoy the game after five hours I won’t enjoy it after fifty.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

So what do you do after you get lvl 80? Go back to Queensfale?

Posted by: HeliaXDemoN.1208

HeliaXDemoN.1208

I am hating this updates, for me is like nothing.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

It’s the same game whether your toon is level 20 or level 80.

Posted by: Moz.8264

Moz.8264

It’s the same game whether your toon is level 20 or level 80.

Yes because level 20s in WvW and temporary dungeons is viable right?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I use the Achievements list as a means of goal setting for myself, essentially. Things to work for over time.

The living world achievements, on the other hand, give me a fast and furious short term goal to work on in addition to any long term ones I’ve opted to work on. For example, Aetherblades actually kicked my kitten into doing jumping puzzles. Not just trying them, but overcoming the sheer frustration of falling 1000+ times and completing the kitten. I yelled in triumph when I completed the puzzle in Metrica Province (Goemm’s Lab?). Scared my husband right out of his chair. But I was so kitten proud of myself. It took me 4 hours, but I did it! Without the temporary kick in the pants achievement, I’d have walked away after the first 50 falls and said screw it, I’ll try it later, but the ‘limited time’ helped me grit my teeth and buckle down.

Now, while I try to get every limited time achievement, like Vayne, I have come to the conclusion that in some instances, that just isn’t going to happen. The OCD completionist in me rages at this, but I’m dealing with it, and I’m finding it to be a good thing. I’m definitely less stressed out about it now. I have started looking at the events as similar to one’s life experiences. The ones you attend/get affect ‘who you are’ as a player in a sense.

On the other hand, my husband hasn’t been doing the living story stuff (heck he hasn’t really played since Nov) and isn’t sure if he wants to come back because he plays for the story. Having missed the living story arcs, he’s missing those story components and can’t ‘experience’ them now. He could care less about the achievements.

I would think having a way to experience the past stories for new/returning players would be good (for the story flow), but I don’t think the people that ‘missed them’ should have the option to complete the achievements. Technically you ‘werent there’, itd be like trying to relive someone else’s party. The best you could really do would be to view the videos or pictures taken at it – ie some sort of cut scene to catch the person up on the backstory.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.