Temporary lift of the population caps?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Because of the unanticipated restrictions on server guesting, specifically the region locking, would it be possible to temporarily raise the caps on server populations?

The RP community, which is about 5-6k strong as of the last self-census (but is much higher given how many new ones I see every day and how there are more high-pop sites than 2RP), initially split along NA/EU lines because we, as of the information we had at the time, thought that we could guest to each others’ worlds.

Because that is not going to happen, many of us (though I can’t speak for all, of course) would like to consolidate our communities. Tight server caps make that very difficult.

However, while my motivation is a roleplayer’s wanting to see the community come together, I’m not asking for some special roleplayer exception: I figure that the guesting setup will cause issues for cross-server guilds or NA/EU friends who’ve been waiting for months to get to play together before the new guesting system’s revisions were announced.

Thanks for your time. <3

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Boneflower.4269

Boneflower.4269

^^ This.

We waited months for guesting to reunite communities and friends split by the EU/NA divide because we were promised guesting, including across regions. Now that promise has broken, and servers are too full for the hundreds or thousands who need to move across regions to do so without raising pop caps.

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

The caps are needed for WvW balance. You’re expected to fight for the “pride of the server”, despite being forced onto an arbitrary server because you couldn’t join the one you wanted.

Sylv.5324

The caps are needed for WvW balance. You’re expected to fight for the “pride of the server”, despite being forced onto an arbitrary server because you couldn’t join the one you wanted.

That is why I ask that they be temporary. Give folks a week or two window to make the cross-region moves without running into ‘full’ because of the unanticipated region lock, and then set the caps back at whatever.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Malrend.5891

Malrend.5891

This would certainly be a boon for most of us roleplayers, although I can understand the WvW’ers’ concern for possible imbalance.

Sylv.5324

The servers have already dealt with imbalance during the free transfer period; I think that it will sort itself out, as it already somewhat has.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

They lifted the caps earlier this week, and lifted them again 2 weeks before that.

They’ve been lifting them every 1 to 2 weeks since the game launched. Keep your eye peeled for an opening.

Sylv.5324

They lifted the caps earlier this week, and lifted them again 2 weeks before that.

They’ve been lifting them every 1 to 2 weeks since the game launched. Keep your eye peeled for an opening.

What I am asking for is a specific time announced so that guilds and communities can move in an organised fashion.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Xaaz.8472

Xaaz.8472

I doubt you will find this happening. The mad rush of guilds leaving low pop servers to all move to (currently) full servers would further cripple the server they left and create a huge imbalance in the WvW population.

Not saying it’s a bad idea, just don’t think it will happen.