Tengu can still make it as playable race

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Greetings Tyrians,

This topic has been ever since the very first day and after 5 years we still see no sight of getting a new playable race, whom might be Tengu as it is the most popular requested race among the community.

We still can’t get access to their hometown, Dominion of Winds, as they’ve shut down all non-Tengu races from them.
We still don’t know why and what they’re planning or doing inside their walls.

Here’s my suggestions how Tengu can still make it to a playable race:

1) Female and Male bodies:
We’ve only seen male Tengus so far, and their body is indeed a bird-body so the easiest and best way to create their bodies is to have just like Asura and Charr, sharing the same body structure, unlike Sylvari, Norn and Humans.

2) Personal storyline:
As many, many players has been disagree about Tengu having their personal storyline as it might be too complex to create from zero and onward to Zhaitan’s final battle.
Yes, it might be indeed hard to create this but my suggestion is that they only create Tengu’s personal storyline before joining orders and the rest of that like the all the other races has.
By that I mean, just like Human, Charr, Sylvari, Norn and Asura has their own personal pre-storylines as in Cultural stories.

-ANet could explain why Tengu was thrown out and landed here and what happened to Cantha.
-What Tengu has been up to for all these years.
-Tengu can help and gain trust and respect from the other races as they could join and be part of the ongoing storyline with the Elder Dragons and other threats accross Tyria.

3) Newly content and onward stories: (Living World Seasons --->)
My suggestion here is that Tengu can’t be playable to replay older LS stories or Pact/Zhaitan’s story as none Tengu were part of, except one of two as being merchants or blacksmiths.
Whenever Living World Season 3 comes to an end Tengu will and can be playable in the next LWS 4. (and maybe joining in our new upcoming Expansion... or Expansion pack 3.. )

4) Female and Male voices:
Just like above here, no voices will be recorded from the old Vanilla GW2 Story or older LWS.
Hiring 2 new voice actors need to be done of course but that wont be hard.

5) Armor and sets:
Charr and Tengu has similar body structures, not completely but almost. Yes, ANet has to design all Armor & sets as they could fit to the Tengu body.
Remember that Tengu has no different design of female & male armors. Just like Charr and Asuras.
Tengu will of course also have Cultural weapons and armors, all three tiers.

I think that’s it.
This could be the best way (I’m not saying this is the only or the BEST-best way..) to make Tengu as a playable race for us!

Comment below and let’s discuss,
Sorry for not the best English, grammar or texture of my text, but I hope you’ll enjoy reading my wall of text.
Looking forward to read what you have to comment about this topic discussion!

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

(edited by Alga.6498)

Posted by: Knuckle Joe.7408

Knuckle Joe.7408

If they ever make a new race, they could just make it so that when you create it, it is automatically level 80 with full exotics of your choice, and then place it at the start of the new expansion, just like TERA did with their new classes.

There is no point in forcing illogical lore as to why, for example, you can see Revenants in Queensdale. Makes so much more sense lore-wise and with the living world feature that a new race would join the fight at the current time of events. That would be their personal story.

After that, if you want you can, non-canonically, go back to the core game and do everything.

Sadly, don’t think it will be happening TBH, if you check the animations for the playable models, you can see those are the best animated models in the entire game. Anet doesn’t have enough resources™ to do that again.

DO FAST HANDS BASELINE

(edited by Knuckle Joe.7408)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

That proposal seems to suggest that ANet should just release some substandard work and pretend it is okay. Have you considered the reactions and consequences to that?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Hiring 2 new voice actors need to be done of course but that wont be hard

It will be 10 new voice actors, not 2.

2 sexes times 5 languages.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Alga.6498

That proposal seems to suggest that ANet should just release some substandard work and pretend it is okay. Have you considered the reactions and consequences to that?

I dont really understand what you are saying?

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Alga.6498

Hiring 2 new voice actors need to be done of course but that wont be hard

It will be 10 new voice actors, not 2.

2 sexes times 5 languages.

I forgot about that. I was only thinking English speaking VA when I wrote the text, my bad.

Alga.6498

If they ever make a new race, they could just make it so that when you create it, it is automatically level 80 with full exotics of your choice, and then place it at the start of the new expansion, just like TERA did with their new classes.

There is no point in forcing illogical lore as to why, for example, you can see Revenants in Queensdale. Makes so much more sense lore-wise and with the living world feature that a new race would join the fight at the current time of events. That would be their personal story.

After that, if you want you can, non-canonically, go back to the core game and do everything.

Sadly, don’t think it will be happening TBH, if you check the animations for the playable models, you can see those are the best animated models in the entire game. Anet doesn’t have enough resources™ to do that again.

Yeah, that is also an alternative way aswell, which sounds great indeed.
Yep, sadly but I agree.
It’s a shame really, it could have been awesome with something like this!

Posted by: DakotaCoty.5721

DakotaCoty.5721

I think the whole notion of Tengu being a playable race is a joke, at best.

If, and if, ArenaNet decides to design a new race, they will want to make one that people will invest time, money and £money into. They don’t want playable races are that are grotesque and against the meta (which is exactly what Tengu are).

Players are attractive to oddly beautiful things – Sylvari, for example. Human, as another example. I believe Largos would be a much better time investment for ArenaNet, and would allow much more customisation options (despite the issues with their wings and backpieces).

I just think Tengu would be a poor investment choice all round, for ArenaNet and for the general playerbase- most of my guild, 300 members, certainly wouldn’t play Tengu or relevel a character to play it.

[CG {EU} – Leader] Leading farm guild~193 cRanger~
https://www.twitch.tv/dakotacoty
https://www.facebook.com/RealDakotaCoty/

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

There will be a kittenstorm if they will charge money for that tho.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I think the whole notion of Tengu being a playable race is a joke, at best.

Tengu was actually one of their original candidates for playable races.

I believe Largos would be a much better time investment for ArenaNet, and would allow much more customisation options (despite the issues with their wings and backpieces).

Largos would certainly be the cheapest to implement. They’re just colored humans and they could even cut the wings by revealing that they’re actually a part of their suit, making them only backpacks. Voices are the biggest problem, but ArenaNet could potentially get away with morphing one of the existing voices. I wouldn’t count on seeing any new races however.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

They wont go back to fix the legendary armor’s problems you thik they will go back and design 3 new apearances for tengu?

Posted by: Takashiro.8701

Takashiro.8701

Topics like these appear every few weeks, so I’ll just quote myself here.

I hope not, tbh. While i’m not generally against new races, i think this would be an effort barely worth it. They would have to put an insane amount of ressources and effort into creating a race that the minority of people would play, which otherwise could’ve been used on new content that’d be beneficial to everyone.

I think the combat tonics they’ve started to use are a good compromise. You can play as the races you want, without them having to put all that work into the “background”.

Posted by: Celiea.3461

Celiea.3461

I think the Largos may work if Anet dose make them as playable race I will defently be on of the many people to make a Largos character.

But the question is will Anet make a new playable race? I know it will have to be in a story that take place within the expansion and its own Story for its race but I don’t think they will make the story available for the vanilla version of GW2 to join the order’s or what not, Maybe joining the PACT but that’s about it unless the orders are still their just put off to the side when PACT is around.

That’s all I can think of since the PACT will still need new recruits after the events in Maguuma were the PACT was hit a lot harder than Zhaitan ever did.

I do know that Anet won’t rewrite the old story just to fit a new race.

Lastly Anet hasn’t announced they will never ever make a new race on any expansion they release so its possible they may make one on future expansions.

(edited by Celiea.3461)

Posted by: luzonophir.7134

luzonophir.7134

next expansion, tengu please.

Posted by: Dantert.1803

Dantert.1803

oh noo hiring 10 new voice actors!!
What do you think that with all the effort and the growing team size they worry that much about hiring 10 new voice actors?
I said it before and I say it again, there is nothing that could stop Anet to provide us a new race, nothing other than the devs thinking that it does not make sense to have it because it’s not needed at the moment, but that is up to them to decide.
With all the people asking for new content and new races I’m expecting a new race or at least a new profession for the next expansion.

So please stop this nonsense, trying to act like you know what they can afford and what not, you clearly don’t know and it shows how little you know about game development.

Cheers,
D.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

What do you think that with all the effort and the growing team size they worry that much about hiring 10 new voice actors?
I said it before and I say it again, there is nothing that could stop Anet to provide us a new race, nothing other than the devs thinking that it does not make sense to have it because it’s not needed at the moment, but that is up to them to decide.
With all the people asking for new content and new races I’m expecting a new race or at least a new profession for the next expansion.

So please stop this nonsense, trying to act like you know what they can afford and what not, you clearly don’t know and it shows how little you know about game development.

Cheers,
D.

The OP made an false statement and I corrected him on his facts. I said nothing about what they could or could not afford or even any comment about the feasibility of it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Before making a new race with weird anatomy and therefore tons of clipping issues, fix the clipping on existing races or at least “improve” them to be less noticeable. -looks at Charr and Asura-

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Cheers,
D.

Seeing as we now have 3 heavy 3 medium and 3 light classes I dont expect another class ever.
And as for race why? so people can whine even more about race change option?

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

This. I don’t see why it can’t happen — players would love that approach (not just for Tengus but for other possible races as well).

GW1 provided the ability to create new characters (Elonians and Canthanese) who all started out in the respective new campaign. I don’t see why this wouldn’t be doable here with new races as well. You could give them a home encampment instead of a “home town”, for instance.

And as for race why? so people can whine even more about race change option?

Wow. Why so hostile towards people who like thinking in bigger dimensions?

Posted by: Marius.9864

Marius.9864

I think a new race would incentivize new and old players to play the game, as for the obstacles, many people say that, because of the personal story, new races are almost impossible to implement, because it has to fit the zhaitan story-line, I say, why? I don’t see why all the playable races have to be the hero of tyria, I would be more interested in playing a new personal story, it doesn’t have to follow the actual one, for example, a tengu story line could show what was going on with the world from their perspective during the war with zhaitan, or after…there’s a ton ideas that could make for a very interesting story line, and wouldn’t be hard to do.

Posted by: RandomWolf.3986

RandomWolf.3986

ArenaNet already has issues implementing new armors, balancing the already existing classes and writing a coherent story. Can you imagine creating a completely new story arch, tie it with the existing content…. add new body sliders and adapt armors and create brand-new animations and emotes? Also, new actors. There’s already a ton of issues with the current ones due to the strike that’s been going on for a while now. Most of the original developers have left the company or are focusing on different aspects of the game.

Just look at this: the vanilla Tengu NPCs haven’t been updated. They look like they’re made of plastic; but the ones in HoT are much, much better. Yet no one at ArenaNet took their time to properly update the others that are spread across Tyria.

It’s really obvious that a new race isn’t going to be a thing.

(edited by RandomWolf.3986)

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

It is very likely Tengu won’t make it ad playable race, which is sad.

Lore wise i have an idea which can make it work.

The Tengu player start adventure when the pact is just formed. Remember there is a Tengu weapon smith joined the pact, he is the father of the Tengu player. The player got a choice when character creation to choose the pact commander race as a pre set commander figure for later personal story use.

The player will start doing cultural and personal story until 3 orders, he will be given a Tengu magical device that allow him to experience what the pact commander had done with the chosen figure. When he is adventuring tyria and follow the pact commander’s footage, he will found something critical to defeat the dragon, but he had to do it himself quick. Make a side story for the Tengu player to be useful in the dragon fight. He will be rewarded as a pact commandet rank which in order to connect to LW story as “commander”.

Marius.9864

ArenaNet already has issues implementing new armors, balancing the already existing classes and writing a coherent story. Can you imagine creating a completely new story arch, tie it with the existing content…. add new body sliders and adapt armors and create brand-new animations and emotes? Also, new actors. There’s already a ton of issues with the current ones due to the strike that’s been going on for a while now. Are you out of your mind? Most of the original developers have left the company or are focusing on different aspects of the game.

Regardless of being “obvious”, players keep asking for new playable races, Arenanet can capitalize on this, as for the hurdles on the way, the problems are solvable, how can you possibly know if it’s worth or not introducing a new race? there are plenty of people that will try a new thing (that being a race).

All these issues you list makes it sound like the arenanet dev team area bunch of incompetent people that need special care while doing their work, sure there have been some questionable decisions in the past to say the least, but you make it sound like the introduction of a new race is an insurmountable task, I’ve played my share of mmos, and I don’t know 1 that didn’t introduce a new race, so why shouldn’t Gw2 have a new playable race?

(edited by Marius.9864)

Posted by: RandomWolf.3986

RandomWolf.3986

ArenaNet already has issues implementing new armors, balancing the already existing classes and writing a coherent story. Can you imagine creating a completely new story arch, tie it with the existing content…. add new body sliders and adapt armors and create brand-new animations and emotes? Also, new actors. There’s already a ton of issues with the current ones due to the strike that’s been going on for a while now. Are you out of your mind? Most of the original developers have left the company or are focusing on different aspects of the game.

Regardless of being “obvious”, players keep asking for new playable races, Arenanet can capitalize on this, as for the hurdles on the way, the problems are solvable, how can you possibly know if it’s worth or not introducing a new race? there are plenty of people that will try a new thing (that being a race).

All these issues you list makes it sound like the arenanet dev team area bunch of incompetent people that need special care while doing their work, sure there have been some questionable decisions in the past to say the least, but you make it sound like the introduction of a new race is an insurmountable task, I’ve played my share of mmos, and I don’t know 1 that didn’t introduce a new race, so why shouldn’t Gw2 have a new playable race?

Have another wants that are actually possible:
- People have been asking for the return of the old human females idles since their removal in 2014.
- People have been asking for the return of Season 1 since its debut in 2013.
- People have been asking for the datamined content, weapons and bundles that are yet to be implemented.
- People have been asking for the return of old flashes/effects that went through a nerf. Only a miniotiry of said effects have returned.
- People have been asking for a way to visit the old Lion’s Arch since its destruction. You can do so via the Personal Story, but it’s heavily limited.
- Unique HoT skins that were available during the BETA were “lost” and cannot be retrieved.
- Halloween and Wintersday events have been cut shorter for unknown reasons, making them less replayable.
- SAB returned years after being unreachable for uknown reasons.
- …

Some other issues:
- Each new patch creates a series of new issues that are unrelated to the changes at hand.
- As previously mentioned, people who worked with the game before are no longer in the company, which makes things harder since the engine being used is a ehavily modified version of Guild Wars 1’s engine.
- Ree Soesbee is no longer part of the team.
- GW2 has suffered its worst income in years.ignoring its initial concept of “variety”.
- …

Marius.9864

Have another wants that are actually possible:
- People have been asking for the return of the old human females idles since their removal in 2014.
- People have been asking for the return of Season 1 since its debut in 2013.
- People have been asking for the datamined content, weapons and bundles that are yet to be implemented.
- People have been asking for the return of old flashes/effects that went through a nerf. Only a miniotiry of said effects have returned.
- People have been asking for a way to visit the old Lion’s Arch since its destruction. You can do so via the Personal Story, but it’s heavily limited.
- Unique HoT skins that were available during the BETA were “lost” and cannot be retrieved.
- Halloween and Wintersday events have been cut shorter for unknown reasons, making them less replayable.
- SAB returned years after being unreachable for uknown reasons.
- …

Some other issues:
- Each new patch creates a series of new issues that are unrelated to the changes at hand.
- As previously mentioned, people who worked with the game before are no longer in the company, which makes things harder since the engine being used is a ehavily modified version of Guild Wars 1’s engine.
- Ree Soesbee is no longer part of the team.
- GW2 has suffered its worst income in years.ignoring its initial concept of “variety”.
- …

Everything you say is valid, although the the season 1 content I belive is understandable why it cannot be back, I’ve been there, and I have to say, there should be more content like that, in any event, everything you say doesn’t justify why there shouldn’t be a new race, so because people are asking about the datamined stuff there shouldn’t be a new race in gw2? I can see how it can be a problem the fact that many devs that worked on the game left, but that shouldn’t stop the game’s evolution, everything can be achieved through careful planning in the end

Posted by: Doghouse.1562

Doghouse.1562

Topics like these appear every few weeks, so I’ll just quote myself here.

I hope not, tbh. While i’m not generally against new races, i think this would be an effort barely worth it. They would have to put an insane amount of ressources and effort into creating a race that the minority of people would play, which otherwise could’ve been used on new content that’d be beneficial to everyone.

I’d have to agree with your take. However much a new race may appeal to some, unless it comes as part of a whole new pile of zones and content, it’s a poor use of resources. I simply don’t see how putting in all that work, effectively just so that a modest percentage of players can briefly be happy that they’re running around looking slightly different (and others moan about what a lousy job it was and how the clipping’s all kittened-up), would add more than the tiniest blip to Anet’s income stream. (and, lest anyone forget, that’s the driving force in matters of this kind). Or why it would attract new players, or keep the attention of the more jaded among us for more than a few days. It would be the MMO equivalent of the expensive toy your grandparents bought you when you were a kid, that you sort-of played with for 20 minutes, then chucked in the toy-box and never touched again. No – far, far better to put the investment into content that a much bigger portion of the community will want to explore.

(edited by Doghouse.1562)

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

I wouldn’t have minded Tengu as a sixth race back in the day. Hell, I kinda expected it to eventually happen back in the say. But lets not kid ourselves, its not going to happen. Some of you seem to be either letting your desire for the Tengu blind you to the reasons why this won’t happen. I think some of you are being intentionally obtuse to those trying to explain the reason why Arenanet is not inclined to put in the time, effort, and money. Anet has issues, they’ve always had issues and it seems like they’re only going to get worse. Which means the game is going to continue to suffer. I’m sorry.

Hate is Fuel.

(edited by The Greyhawk.9107)