Tequatl Whirlpools and Achievements

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SakuraJD.4720

SakuraJD.4720

So, since whirlpools are required for…. basically every legendary collection, is it? how about NOT locking them behind a failure, or a chance occurrence at his first battery phase entrance?

I mean seriously, every day its the same thing. I enter a map, and no matter how much i ask, no one is willing to slow burn to allow him to summon whirlpools. constantly im told to seek another map, to find a fail Tequatl, to shut my mouth, to eat unsavory appendages, or any other colorful euphemism for “no” all because the only way to make whirlpools spawn with any amount of frequency is to, yet again, do the event ‘wrong’.

Its not even just Tequatl, this problem was brought up countless times before.. requiring people to fail Grenth or Dwayna, or any other temple defense, because they needed the specific Capture event. and maybe not even the event, but a debuff that only occurs during the capture, from a mob that doesnt spawn during the defend… or a single Champion Risen Wraith that only spawns if an event takes too long, and only if the area has a high number of players nearby to force the event to scale. sound familiar?

Bottom line is, you need to make a more faithful manner for whirlpools to spawn.. maybe add them to his phase 1 attack chain, maybe trigger him to summon whirlpools every time he enters a battery phase, regardless of HOW he entered the battery phase? or maybe just stop putting these ridiculous failure mechanics in collection achievements.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I’ve seen them spawn regardless as to the speed that the maps burn him down.

SakuraJD.4720

as i said, there is a chance spawn that occurs when he is summoning fingers just as he enters battery phase. the game thinks he’s in phase 2, so instead of just summoning fingers, it adds whirlpools to the attack. this might be a viable method, if not for the very short window that it happens in, and the irregularity of it.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

I regularly see pools right when he goes invulnerable when he takes off for the first time .. listen for the female hylek NPC shout out to avoid the whirlpools or you’ll be sucked under, I almost always see one to the right of the left-hand batrtery (between the two battery groups) as you look at the mob, look out for them the moment the ‘invulnerable’ icon appears in Tequatl’s boon/condition icon set.

This happens even on very high DPS zergs.

(edited by Kraggy.4169)

Posted by: Cirrion.8951

Cirrion.8951

Teq spawns whirlpools at the end of the first phase. Every single time. They will appear in front of T1/T2. Even when the Guardian traits were bugged and the first phase only lasted 30 seconds he still spawned them.

EDIT: Removed snark.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It still spawns regardless of how fast it is killed but having one always spawn at a fixed location(maybe right under the head?) at each transition wouldn’t be that bad. It would make it more interesting for anyone trying do the triple hit spot. :P

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Teq spawns whirlpools at the end of the first phase. Every single time. They will appear in front of T1/T2. Even when the Guardian traits were bugged and the first phase only lasted 30 seconds he still spawned them.

EDIT: Removed snark.

I’ve been in front of T1/T2 and not seen them.

However, since you seem very sure, I’ll keep an eye peeled for them the next time. If true, that would be a big help to others trying for the achievement and associated collections.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

They spawn quite regularly, to be fair. Yes, luck can be a kitten; but I see whirlpools maybe every other run.

Even so, this isn’t the RNG at Tequatl that needs to be addressed. If you know what you’re looking for, it really shouldn’t take more than five attempts to get hit by a whirlpool. However, Tequatl has exclusive, account-bound, insanely low RNG skins. By time you’ve had one of those drop, you’ll be fed up of whirlpools, just from the odd ones that catch you off guard when you happen to be standing on them.

SakuraJD.4720

im not here to talk about the kitten skins, i dont care. if you say you see whirlpools constantly, then give proof. all youre doing is creating disbelief in my story.

SakuraJD.4720

and yet another tequatl without a single whirlpool spawning. and yet somehow, everyone else is saying “oh they spawn regularly”

i even did as people said, i joined a map late. i joined it 5 minutes AFTER he spawned, and STILl there wasnt a single whirlpool.

Posted by: LazySummer.2568

LazySummer.2568

Another oversight in legendary collections and people trying to justify it and shrugging it off like it’s nothing special…I’m not surprised at all

Posted by: Juclesia Elcritian.8410

Juclesia Elcritian.8410

You’re doing something wrong. Maybe your graphics settings prevent you from seeing them? Effect LoD? Something like that…

They literally spawn every single time before the first burn phase. I have to actively dodge to avoid them.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I think where you stand might matter.

I usually get suck in when I melee. But when I range from a distance I rarely get suck in.

I’m not sure where the whirl thing spawn. Maybe the whirl thing spawn where most people is standing. Try not to scatter too much.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I think they are almost always there but often don’t show. I’ve definitely been pulled into a couple that were completely invisible.

Suggest you just keep hanging around in that front area. The tail thing was the one that took me ages. Everyone had a different suggestion for that one but in the end I got it by being vaguely near the tail without doing anything else.

And don’t forget that every time you do the Teq event you have a decent chance of winning…. a spoon!
OK, so it’s probably a broken spoon but it’s nothing that a bit of epoxy won’t fix. I can’t think of any other game in the history of gaming that has handed out free cutlery!

SakuraJD.4720

i have maximized graphical settings at all times. its not any sort of ‘cant see it’ thing. they just. dont. spawn.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

i have maximized graphical settings at all times. its not any sort of ‘cant see it’ thing. they just. dont. spawn.

They spawn in a semicircle in front and to the sides of Teq, at around 600 to 1000 range. Thy always spawn during the transition into the first battery defence phase.

Problem? They spawn at random spots, there’s only 2-3 of them during that first spawn, they look very similar to the spawning tendrils, and they last for only 2-3 seconds. Even if you know exactly what to look for, and where, you’re likely to miss it half of the time, or be standing too far from one even if you spot it.

The best chance is still after a failed burn – there’s more of the whirlpools then, and they last longer.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I get that you are upset. I don’t think the invisible whirlpools are anything to do with client side graphics. I suspect that the “take the boss down” sequence proceeds so rapidly that the whirlpools never get rendered. But they are definitely still there and I have definitely been pulled down into one at least twice when nothing at all showed and when the boss fight had moved on to the next phase. They do spawn. Trust me!

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

You gotta trust him, he’s a doctor!

The fact you can’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not there.
I mean.. invisible shoes.. come on!

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Ayrilana.1396

There was an issue where the NPC would be late announcing the whirlpools. Sometimes they wouldn’t even announce them period. I suggest keeping a lookout for them rather than rely on the NPC to give you an audio cue.

Posted by: Nadha.6097

Nadha.6097

Teq spawns whirlpools at the end of the first phase. Every single time. They will appear in front of T1/T2.

that is true. search for one of those bonewhips/finger things on land towards the water, with the laser setup behind you.
stand next to the base of the finger before the event starts to defend the lasers.
they spawn right at the bottom of the bonefingers, dive as soon as you see the slight ripple!

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Another oversight in legendary collections and people trying to justify it and shrugging it off like it’s nothing special…I’m not surprised at all

I think you misunderstand what some folks are saying: that the whirlpools spawn more often than others of us have noticed and that it requires standing in the right part of the map just before the first defense phase.

I confess that I haven’t seen this myself, so I can’t confirm. However, before absolutely denying it as a possibility (or guaranteed spawn), I plan to return and check it out. I hope you consider doing that, too.

And just because this particular achievement/collection requirement might turn out to be easier than we thought… it still could be true that too many of the legendary collection requirements are blocked by unrealistic event triggers. ANet has acknowledged this and asked for specific examples, so they can fix them. (This, in my opinion, is one of the most significant reasons why other legendary weapons have been indefinitely postponed: ANet only recently realized just how much they need to adjust in the game to make them relatively special and effective.)

tl;dr focus on the issue at hand, try not to bite the heads off folks who are making an effort to help

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

SakuraJD.4720

I think you misunderstand what some folks are saying: that the whirlpools spawn more often than others of us have noticed and that it requires standing in the right part of the map just before the first defense phase.

I confess that I haven’t seen this myself, so I can’t confirm. However, before absolutely denying it as a possibility (or guaranteed spawn), I plan to return and check it out. I hope you consider doing that, too.

And just because this particular achievement/collection requirement might turn out to be easier than we thought… it still could be true that too many of the legendary collection requirements are blocked by unrealistic event triggers. ANet has acknowledged this and asked for specific examples, so they can fix them. (This, in my opinion, is one of the most significant reasons why other legendary weapons have been indefinitely postponed: ANet only recently realized just how much they need to adjust in the game to make them relatively special and effective.)

tl;dr focus on the issue at hand, try not to bite the heads off folks who are making an effort to help

I’m also still continuing to try. waiting for help isnt getting me anywhere, but im glad you at least agree things arent the way they should be.

Posted by: Ceesa.1350

Ceesa.1350

It took me 3 tries to find a whirlpool and then 2 tries to get sucked in. Both of the whirlpools that I saw appeared in front of teq at the end of the first phase of the fight, almost right as he goes invuln and before everyone runs to batteries. The first time I wasn’t able to run to one in time, but the second time I made it. Each time there were only 2 whirlpools that I saw.

I don’t know if you’re trying to contribute to the fight, but my recommendation is that you don’t. Just hang out about 600-1000 range from his head as his health starts to drop and ping him with a longbow or something while you scan the ground with your eyes like a hawk. They don’t have orange AOE circles, so you have to look for the graphical effect.

Just keep trying, I’m sure you can do it!

SakuraJD.4720

It took me 3 tries to find a whirlpool and then 2 tries to get sucked in. Both of the whirlpools that I saw appeared in front of teq at the end of the first phase of the fight, almost right as he goes invuln and before everyone runs to batteries. The first time I wasn’t able to run to one in time, but the second time I made it. Each time there were only 2 whirlpools that I saw.

I don’t know if you’re trying to contribute to the fight, but my recommendation is that you don’t. Just hang out about 600-1000 range from his head as his health starts to drop and ping him with a longbow or something while you scan the ground with your eyes like a hawk. They don’t have orange AOE circles, so you have to look for the graphical effect.

well, finally managed to find that just horrible enough map. the kind of map that has enough people to win, but not enough to chain burns. still though, this needs to change ANet.

Posted by: zoytoy.4607

zoytoy.4607

Teq spawns whirlpools at the end of the first phase. Every single time. They will appear in front of T1/T2.

that is true. search for one of those bonewhips/finger things on land towards the water, with the laser setup behind you.
stand next to the base of the finger before the event starts to defend the lasers.
they spawn right at the bottom of the bonefingers, dive as soon as you see the slight ripple!

Just wanted to say thank you. I have been trying for this thing for awhile now, and your tip here made it possible. It happened at the end of Phase 1. The irony of it is, I got sucked back down AGAIN in phase 2… whatever AANEt.

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

I was actually on a map that failed. Try Teq on off times of the day

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

well, finally managed to find that just horrible enough map. the kind of map that has enough people to win, but not enough to chain burns. still though, this needs to change ANet.

Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring on this one as I too am now trying to get sucked in by a whirlpool, but unfortunately I’m not having any luck whatsoever (been on 7 or 8 maps so far).

As mentioned above, since Teq is on farm-mode now he only has a chance to spawn whirlpools after the 1st phase (I say chance as he didn’t spawn any whirlpools on the map I was just on). And so you may have a couple second window per Teq to get this, whereas other related legendary achievements can be done basically whenever you wish.

So I respectfully ask ANet to somehow address this issue! (e.g perhaps add whirlpools after every burn stage regardless of whether or not he takes off immediately).

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

This needs to be changed ASAP. Essentially gates the collection behind purposefully failing. Encourages you to not participate in dps so you have more chances to get the whirlpool. Massive kittening timegate given that teq only spawns like twice a day and most people can’t play for that long. Nothing about it is fun or interesting.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

Finally got into a whirlpool!

To do it, I stood in front of Teq a bit (pretty sure I was ranging him from where I was) and noticed a smallish* orange AoE circle – I then moved into it and got pulled under.

And as someone pointed out above, the funny thing is on the 2nd burn phase (which was slow) I got pulled under again lol.

*I say smallish as the circle appeared to be smaller than the other orange AoE circles around me. Would be nice if ANet could at least change the color of the whirlpool circle to perhaps green or blue.

(edited by Day Trooper.3605)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I haven’t seen the whirpools for quite the longest time myself. I used to do Teq daily before HoT came out and have 3 teq weapons to my name as well as sunbringer and the whirlpools have usually only showed up when there were major mistakes made. I think this is a problem because weirdly enough Sunbringer is harder now to get despite people being better at Teq.

The problem is that the whirlpools appear near the end of a burn phase but if you burn him too fast it doesn’t show; as people have been getting better at Teq, this is being increasingly more common. In the past it was much easier and the game has had a lot of power creep since.

But then if you get a fail map and can’t burn him at all, the whirlpool isn’t going to show.

In essence, we have gotten too good at doing Teq and the best way to get him is to burn him mediocrely but not so bad you can’t even get him down.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Ayrilana.1396

The problem is that the whirlpools appear near the end of a burn phase but if you burn him too fast it doesn’t show; as people have been getting better at Teq, this is being increasingly more common. In the past it was much easier and the game has had a lot of power creep since.

But then if you get a fail map and can’t burn him at all, the whirlpool isn’t going to show.

In essence, we have gotten too good at doing Teq and the best way to get him is to burn him mediocrely but not so bad you can’t even get him down.

I’ve seen then regardless as to how fast he was burned.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I must have had the oddest luck then. Might as well go confirm. I really can’t remember the last time I got sucked underneath.

This needs to be changed ASAP. Essentially gates the collection behind purposefully failing. Encourages you to not participate in dps so you have more chances to get the whirlpool. Massive kittening timegate given that teq only spawns like twice a day and most people can’t play for that long. Nothing about it is fun or interesting.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tequatl_the_Sunless#Event_schedule

A bit more than twice a day.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Ayrilana.1396

One of the times that I got sucked in, I don’t remember hearing or seeing the NPC call it out. Since the whirlpools tend to blend in, maybe this is happening to others too and they’re just thinking that they’re not spawning.