Terminally Ill, Saying "Thank You" to GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Palu.3405

Palu.3405

Hello dear members of the GW2 community,

Recently I discovered that I’m terminally ill and I’m not sure how long I have left so I felt compelled to say “thank you” to all the fantastic members of the GW2 community for almost a year of amazing gameplay unlike anything else I’ve experienced in all the MMOs I’ve ever played. I’m sure most of you probably don’t recognize me and probably don’t care about this post, but between Fractals, other dungeons, and WvW roaming, I can say with confidence that I’ve never enjoyed a game as much as GW2. If you’ve played on or against Maguuma in WvW, you’ve probably seen me at some point. I’m the one Sylvari condition Mesmer in Nightmare armor who, since launch, has refused to play anything but a condition Mesmer. I want to extend a special thanks to the WvW community, since that’s where I’ve spent most of my time in-game. I’ve always been a roamer, so whether I’ve killed you, you’ve killed me, or we’ve fought alongside one another, thank you for a fantastic PvP experience. I’ve repped either <removed by moderator> the entire time I’ve been in WvW (do note that there are multiple guilds with those abbreviations) and have always been on Maguuma.

While I’ll probably still play from time to time, I’m spending most of my time with irl friends and family. All I want to do here is say thank you and ask for the community’s solidarity in this difficult time.

I posted a similar thread on the GW2 Reddit with more details about my condition and why I’m leaving, so if you’d like to know more you can PM me or read the thread on Reddit.

EDIT: The Reddit link apparently doesn’t work, here’s the Reddit post in a word document.
[link removed by moderator]

Sincerely,

Palu Wojciak of Maguuma

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Nothing on Reddit. My condolences, and thank YOU for being part of this community.

Posted by: Kry.1697

Kry.1697

My condoleances. Make the time you have left enjoyable and make it count, for you and those near you.

Palu.3405

Thank you both for your sympathies. Since my post on Reddit apparently doesn’t show up, I just added a link to a word document on MediaFire.

Posted by: Bartas.4908

Bartas.4908

Thank you for sharing this with us. Best of wishes from me. Hold on…

Proud member of [BOO]
Thief/Necro/Guardian/Mesmer/Elementalist of SFR EU

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’d like to offer my sympathy too. I’m glad you’ve had something to enjoy/comfort you at such a time.

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

A big thank you for sharing. A big sorry for what you are dealing with. I do not know you… but very glad to have had you here to enjoy the game with us.

Be with family, and keep fond memories of everything you can.

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

My best wishes to you. Make something of the time you have left and best luck in whatever lies beyond.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

We’ll miss you :\ I enjoyed my fights with Maguuma and remember a very annoying condition mesmer constantly being on our kitten. Sorry to hear this, and best of luck

Posted by: Rhythm.7256

Rhythm.7256

This is a sad day for you and your family indeed. My deepest condolences and my prayers will be with you.

Panginoon [D/D Elementalist]

i5-4690k 4.5ghz | ASRock Z97 Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB | Nvidia GTX 760

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Never met you, but I did take the time to read your letter both here and on Reddit. Good to hear you’ve enjoyed your time here.

Maybe we’ll see you around every so often. I have a dear friend IRL who also has a somewhat similar heart condition.

He’s had surgery and they’ve installed a heart monitor in his chest to essentially set it straight or start it up again should it go irregular or stop.

I respect your decision not to go into any details. You have my deepest condolences, for what’s it’s worth from a stranger.

God won’t take you until He’s ready to have you. Don’t stop living your life. I’ve prayed for you and your family.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

Quod Sumus Hoc Eritis.

Real life has great graphics, but the death penalty sucks… and we will all get there eventually.

I can’t pray for you because I don’t believe in any “god”, but I wish you a lot of joy and as little pain as possible for the future.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

You might survive a full decade and medicine might progress far enough to save you. Never lose hope and enjoy every day like it’s your last.

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

I wish you all the best; and yeah, I hope that’s gonna be true what Mirta said. Either way; even if your story makes me feel sad, I also feel glad that you were able to somehow make up your mind enough to chose that you’ll now do more things that you’d otherwise have done “somewhen later in your life”. It may make for some of the best experiences in your life; who knows. I really wish you that you will be able to experience many more years (AT LEAST that decade the doctor was talking about), full of joy and moments that will make you smile whenever you think back. Take care, and enjoy your life!

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

Glad you enjoyed the game. I’ll pray your illness is cured. God bless

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Posted by: Fox Reeveheart.1890

Fox Reeveheart.1890

Farewell, you have more courage then I do as I will do everything in my power throughout my life to stop death as I am afraid of it so much.

Is immortality a possibility within our lifetimes? It’s not an impossibility, technology is actually advancing faster everytime it advances, it’s not going at a set rate. As time goes on it’s actually our advancement is accelerating exponentially

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Palu.

I Hope the Best for your health and yourself

I Hope you Get Better sooner

I Hope for the Better Future for you.

May Grace and God Bless You with Compassion and a 2nd Chance to Live for a very very long time…old age..

They’re your only Savior…..

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Posted by: Alex.9567

Alex.9567

i don’t know..im always skeptical with posts like these, for whakittens worth i hope you have a good life, i just think its kinda strange how in your letter you ask people to please not contact the people who you feel have hurt you but then give their exact tag.

Posted by: PolarisNova.3867

PolarisNova.3867

As soon as I started reading this I had tears in my eyes, OP you sound like a great person and very reflective….I wish you all the best and pray all the love and support you need is around you.

~Lady Amelia of the House of Rose~

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

i don’t know..im always skeptical with posts like these, for whakittens worth i hope you have a good life, i just think its kinda strange how in your letter you ask people to please not contact the people who you feel have hurt you but then give their exact tag.

^ Pretty much this, but I will bite and just say hopefully that things somehow work out for ya.

Posted by: Sarabande.8260

Sarabande.8260

It is with 100% seriousness that I say: Ain’t nothing wrong with dying. You’ll do fine.

Posted by: Pozag.2506

Pozag.2506

Palu,

In your link, you mention people that harmed you and do not want anyone to harm them back. Humans are humans and I would suggest that you simply remove their name from your document.

I wish you luck and enjoy what life has to offer. Live life to it’s fullest and explore what this beautiful world has to offer. Taiko drums are amazing and I hope you get to rock on!

Markus Titan – Norn Warrior – Crystal Desert

Palu.3405

Many thanks to everyone who has posted thus far for your support and caring words. I honestly didn’t expect to get many replies to this post, so hearing from all of you really means a lot to me. Whether you’ve sent prayers my way or your own best regards, I’m thankful for all of it. Also, Mirta, Saturn, and others have made good points about staying hopeful and not giving up on trying to get better. While I’ve been trying to do that regardless, please know that all your words are incredibly helpful in keeping my spirits up.

@Alex, Gizmo, and anyone else who may be skeptical of this post: First, thank you for even taking the time to read what I had to say and thank you for extending kind words to me in spite of your doubts. Obviously I can’t force you to believe anything, but I’d like to think that people (myself included) aren’t so awful as to lie about such a serious topic. I see your point about including people’s full tags in the link I provided; I had originally intended it to be a source of info for my remaining close friends in-game in addition to a story to be shared with the community at large, but since it’s had several hundred downloads in the past 12 hours, I decided to remove the names as per Pozag’s suggestion.

Thank you all again for your support. This is why I love this community so much.

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

This kinda puts all of the “game problems” on this message board into perspective.

OP, God bless you and you’re in my thoughts and prayers. Don’t worry about the people you ‘thought’ were your friends. As people are fond of saying “karma’s a b*tch”.

May the Lord bless you, may the Lord keep you. May the Lord lift his divine coutenance upon you, and give you peace.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Good luck to you Palu.
May you find joy in your life, however long it is and may you find what you want in the next.
My best wishes go with you.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

see you on the other side

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I understand your decision to leave the community in order to spend time with family and friends. Thank you for being a part of this community. I will have hope for your healing and wish you well in all things.

Posted by: Simon.3106

Simon.3106

Palu. It has been an honor -_- Enjoy what you have left. It’s easier said than done, but laugh until all else fade. Will see you soon my friend >=) I’ll PM you something in a bit. Hope you’ll enjoy it.

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

@Alex, Gizmo, and anyone else who may be skeptical of this post: First, thank you for even taking the time to read what I had to say and thank you for extending kind words to me in spite of your doubts. Obviously I can’t force you to believe anything, but I’d like to think that people (myself included) aren’t so awful as to lie about such a serious topic.

It’s a legtiamate concern, people are that bad. It’s happened.

That said my sympathy doesn’t come with an impossible precondition. If you’re tricking me over the interwebs, you got me brah. That’s on you.

I don’t believe you’re lying myself.

That’s too much trouble for jollies much easier had otherwise. Your history doesn’t suggest that kind of person.

All the best to you, Palu.

Posted by: nahla.7138

nahla.7138

That is very sad to hear. I don’t know you, but I hope everything works out.

I WOULD be extremely curious as to which conditions you have specifically, since you only mentioned “two heart conditions” pretty vaguely.

GW2 is NOT “free to play”! It’s “buy to play”!
I need a good guild. Q_Q

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

Hope everything works out, Palu. Thanks for being apart of our community.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

This is not a good bye
But a well wish
And a guarantee
That we’ll see each other
Again.

Posted by: Hooperhorn.3160

Hooperhorn.3160

Palu,
I am praying for you and your family. Stay Strong.

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Thank you for sharing.

Enjoy every moment.

You might survive a full decade and medicine might progress far enough to save you. Never lose hope and enjoy every day like it’s your last.

Yeah absolutely!

Obviously I cannot empathise with your position and anything we all type is easy to say but would be tough for anyone in that situation. But I would really live in the present and experience as much as I could.
Enjoy the love from other people and experiences, and let the fear fall away.
:)

Posted by: SeNoZinD.9874

SeNoZinD.9874

Stay strong, no matter what happens!

:’(

Posted by: Anzu.5702

Anzu.5702

My condolences and all the best mate. You never know what the future holds, so we may hopefully still see you here in more than a decade!

But at the very least, it could be a blessing in disguise. People that die young (especially those that know it is coming) live more of a life than those that live long do. The very aspect of ‘knowing’ gives you so much power to take into your own hands what you want to do. But never give up. If you enjoy reading, may I suggest some of the works by Seneca, especially his letters on shortness of life. It definitely opened my eyes, altered my perspective and made me a lot stronger in relation to life and death.

It’s been great having you here (especially as one wvwer to another) and hope to still see you in game Palu!

Xarvacious: Guardian | Xarvo: Engineer | Achiles Augustus: Warrior
[HIRE]
TC

Posted by: Mooge.2346

Mooge.2346

I don’t know you Palu but thank you for being a part of this game and community I too deeply enjoy. My condolences for you situation.

Please, cling to life with everything you have. Fight whatever it is that is killing you with everything you have. Hang in there. Luck or whatever divine being or beings you hold true to may just see your fight and reward your struggle with a miracle.

Don’t do this for me, do it for you and those who know you and love you.

Posted by: kelman.9451

kelman.9451

I probably played against you being on Yak’s more than once, thanks for the fun. May Jesus take you home when the time comes.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Palu I’m Magumma. Maybe ANet could and should immortalise you like Borderlands 2 did for a player. Make you an NPC or something.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I wish you all the best, Palu. If I don’t see you in game, take care of yourself, and good luck!

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

I hear the afterlife has the best wifi anyway, and you get all the updates in advance, so you’re just moving to a better server.

From star dust we came and to star dust we go.

As Peter Pan said, there is no greater adventure.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: Leuddian.3057

Leuddian.3057

Palu I’m Magumma. Maybe ANet could and should immortalise you like Borderlands 2 did for a player. Make you an NPC or something.

Actually ANet did this in GW1 for Rosa Salvitas: She was renamed to Sadie Salvitas as of the April 18, 2013 update in memory of the Guild Wars player Sadie Massa Kiss (nicknamed Sadie), who passed away from cancer in March 2013. She actively participated in Pink Day in Lion’s Arch.

To OP: All the best to you.

Posted by: Airwolf.5287

Airwolf.5287

I apologize for not recognizing your character on the server, but thanks for the run if we ever helped each other.

God speed.

Maguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuma!

Tnum Nosaj – Staff Ele

Posted by: Ritter.4015

Ritter.4015

My most sincere condolences, make the most out of the time you have left, it’s alway a tragedy when a life gets cut short.

Posted by: pownguin.9205

pownguin.9205

By Dwayna! You have my condolences.

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

Palu…thank you for having the courage to share this with us. It reminds me that there are real people behind the names. God bless you…

Posted by: Luzano.6983

Luzano.6983

I remember dueling you on my mesmer above SE tower all those matchups ago. I think you said you just moved to Maguuma at that time or something, not too sure. Thanks for the chat and duels man.

Good luck and godspeed.

[GF] / [Guam] Alaiii – Jackie Lautchang – Luzano

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

Good on ya man, keep on having fun and enjoy

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

I hear the afterlife has the best wifi anyway, and you get all the updates in advance, so you’re just moving to a better server.

From star dust we came and to star dust we go.

As Peter Pan said, there is no greater adventure.

This. It chillingly hits home.

It is with 100% seriousness that I say: Ain’t nothing wrong with dying. You’ll do fine.

And, ultimately, this.

I could say “have strength”, but by your post, you have already shown way more of it than this community together. Your family needs you now. We’ll be OK.

Posted by: Avatara.1042

I remember you, from the Maguuma versus SoS battles. Those were some good times