Thank you Anet

Thank you Anet

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Suinz.5968

Suinz.5968

Thanks for creating such a wonderful game. Guild Wars 2 has helped me get through very hard times these last couple of years. I come from an abusive home and your game has helped me deal with Mania Depression. I mostly have days where I feel low, where it feels like life just has no meaning whatsoever. Suicidal thoughts ran rampant. Your game has been a very good outlet for helping me forget about the problems I have in the real world.

I don’t have many friends, so I spend most of my time leveling characters and doing PvP here and there. I like how it’s set up so you have to make your own goals and not everything is just a carrot on a stick. One of the goals I had was to make the legendary weapon, Twilight. Just recently I have finished getting all the gifts I have needed. I don’t yet have the necessary Precursor weapon since it is so expensive, but it just feels good to know that I am about to complete a goal I’ve had for years now. It may not mean much to others, but it really means a lot to me.

I look forward to Heart of Thorns and I hope you keep making this game even better. Hopefully I’ll get a bit better by then, haha.

Thank you Anet

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

If you are not already, see a professional about your depression. It will help a lot, I can guarantee.

Best of luck to you Be strong.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Thank you Anet

Posted by: Huggywuggles.2814

Huggywuggles.2814

Suinz, I applaud you for ‘coming out’ of the depressive closet as it were. As a fellow depressive (either clinical or chronic depending on which hack you ask), I know the strength of character it takes to openly admit to depression because of the sweeping social stigma attached to it.

I cannot echo Wolfheart’s sentiment enough in that seeking professional help is EXTREMELY important. I know it may seem like a tough thing to do and I don’t know how badly it affects your real life (I am a suicide survivor myself) but I do know how bad it is possible for things to get.

If you do not know where to or cannot seek professional help (most states have a very decent system that’s reasonably priced which is worth looking into), I cannot recommend keeping the following link handy just in case:

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

They are a fantastic resource just in case you ever need it, friend.

Stay strong, keep fighting the good fight, and keep up on creating and meeting your personal goals!

There are a few things I’ve found out that may help you, outside of the game, to deal with your depression:

1) Cooking. I discovered this ‘talent’ while caring for my terminally ill mother. Part of it’s allure is that I can be truly creative (I make a mean hamburger and a wicked good tuna fish salad!) plus the Food Channel is pretty entertaining if you can look past Guy Fieri always talking about ‘food lube’ (what the KITTEN?!) although they make up for it with Giada whatshername (hubba, hubba!).

2) Be creative in other ways. I personal prefer to write and am working on my first novella and starting on my second and write short stories as well. It may not be particularly lucrative but I personally find that being able to put whatever happens to be bothering me to pen and paper helps me better identify a particular issue as well as helping to deal with it in a more constructive manner as well.

3) The game (particularly GW2) is AWESOME, there is no doubt. But if possible, do not neglect the outdoors. I LOVE doing yardwork (mowing the lawn, trimming hedges, etc.) myself. I can lose my thoughts in hum of the motor and there are physical benefits as well; building serotonin levels in your brain to overcome a potential serotonin deficiency (which is a common factor in depression).

As a fellow depressive I’m proud of you my friend. Like I and Wolfheart said, stay strong. Fight the fight. We got your back.

/Asurafist
/Juicebox salute

I am a Juicebox Hero. I poke straws in Risen Eyes.