Thank you Arena Net, Reason To Play Again

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Colton.9460

Colton.9460

This will be short since I am currently loving the new content but I wanted to take time to thank arena net for adding a little vertical progression, giving us new content, and promising more in the future. Me and my friends got this game not because of extensive research but because we heard that is was a good game; however the lack of progression and endgame made our adventure through your world shorter than we expected.

After reading the war on the forums I grew discourage that the game wouldnt grow and that we would have to leave it on our shelves but it seems that you have taken some of what us progressionist have said to heart and helped us find fun in your game once again.

Some may curse you for it and I am sure many will disagree with my statements; but rest assured me and my fellow adventurers will enjoy every minute of the new content and have a ball fighting our way towards some epic gear. ( Even if me drive our wives insane from splurging on the gem store lol)

Keep up the great work.

“I’m watching you violate my game mode”

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

If you like vertical progression, and you did research on GW2 before buying, why did you buy it after ANET made a big deal of promising that there wouldn’t be any ?

Posted by: elsbeth.3567

elsbeth.3567

This will be short since I am currently loving the new content but I wanted to take time to thank arena net for adding a little vertical progression, giving us new content, and promising more in the future. Me and my friends got this game not because of extensive research but because we heard that is was a good game; however the lack of progression and endgame made our adventure through your world shorter than we expected.

After reading the war on the forums I grew discourage that the game wouldnt grow and that we would have to leave it on our shelves but it seems that you have taken some of what us progressionist have said to heart and helped us find fun in your game once again.

Some may curse you for it and I am sure many will disagree with my statements; but rest assured me and my fellow adventurers will enjoy every minute of the new content and have a ball fighting our way towards some epic gear. ( Even if me drive our wives insane from splurging on the gem store lol)

Keep up the great work.

There’s a sucker posting every minute.

Colton.9460

If you like vertical progression, and you did research on GW2 before buying, why did you buy it after ANET made a big deal of promising that there wouldn’t be any ?

I said we did not research the game, we bought it because we heard it was good and 60$ is cheap. When we got it and learned about the focus on horizontal progression, we didnt really now if we would like it or not. So we tried, got to the end, thought our exotics looked plenty cool, then stopped playing. Now that there is something else to work towards ( the “carrot” as you will) we started it up again and are having fun.

(edited by Colton.9460)

Posted by: Rooks Zaer.5846

Rooks Zaer.5846

Satisfying you and gamers like you required ArenaNet to throw their entire fanbase under the bus. Are you ok with that?

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

Ok i think we have to be happy… to make you happy, how many player have asked a refund today?

ok i know its a trollbait so i dont lose much time with this thread.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: CaptainVenus.5179

CaptainVenus.5179

Keep up the great work.

How much are they paying you people to come out with this bullkitten?

Posted by: SpaceTurtle.1923

SpaceTurtle.1923

I certainly agree with the OP. The important thing to understand is they have stated ascended gear can be obtained not only through the dungeons but in other methods. They have confirmed alternate methods to obtain it WILL be in the game so that any play style can obtain the gear.

That is pretty much the opposite of what most consider the gear grind in standard MMOs such as running raid dungeons weekly being the only method to gear up. It is ashame that most folks react with such hatred to opposing views, pretty much makes real discussion impossible.

Cosmetic only upgrades will only keep interest so long. Moderate progression that is available through a wide scale of activities keeps the game interesting in the long run.

Posted by: Reaver.9256

Reaver.9256

I totally agree OP.

PS I retired 4 years ago at the age of 32 so no one had to pay me to say that

Posted by: Urrid.4593

Urrid.4593

I disagree strongly with your joy.

Coral -Mesmer- Omnomnivore and TC’er.

Colton.9460

Satisfying you and gamers like you required ArenaNet to throw their entire fanbase under the bus. Are you ok with that?

Doesnt look like I will be able to play for a while so I guess I can keep responding:

Well I would argue that the entire fanbase wasn’t made of people like yourself. From the forum criticism of the endgame and lack of progression( which I am sure you also opposed) I would say at progressionist at very least are a significant part of the community( although majority/minority would be pure speculation from me).

I would assume they made the switch for a reason, either people werent happy, people were leaving( like my group), or that this is simply how they had planned to move forward from the beginning. If the decision was made because of the first two then yes I am okay with it; they thought it would be best for the life of the game.

If it is the last one then I can see how people would be upset; however, if your fanbase is large enough then they will change it again. I think a utilitarian approach is a smart financial move and important to keeping a robust population for MMOs. It seems people always want to think they are the majority though, and sometime it doesnt work that way.( not that you arent, just simply I think it is rather hard to tell)

Posted by: Curlybaby.6258

Curlybaby.6258

Even “Progressionist” should be rebelling against the behavior exhibited by ANet in this patch. How can any developer or anyone for that matter, with a straight face, repeatedly tell an entire loyal player base that GW2 would never be about a gear-grind treadmill and less than 3 months into the game’s release make it exactly that, a gear-grind treadmill. How can a developer who 180s so blatantly regarding the most core concept of their game ever be trusted?

It boggles the mind.

We are not hamsters!

(edited by Curlybaby.6258)

Posted by: Arreyanne.2683

Arreyanne.2683

Them adding the gear isnt my problem because thats not going to be the real Grind

They have stated that all future content will be based of the Ascended gear with Infusions.

They also said they will be adding infusion up to at least Ascended quality.

Thus improving Ascended gear with each type of Infusion as Im sure the stats as well as the agony resistance will increase with each tier of Infusions.

So really the gear isnt going to be the grind. I’m going to giggle when people have to spend 20 hours grinding mats for 1 (one) rare or Ascended Infusion.

Thats when the boo hoo hoo from the casuals will really start

Posted by: XTreme Risk.5973

XTreme Risk.5973

“The important thing to understand is they have stated ascended gear can be obtained not only through the dungeons but in other methods. "

Okay, they also said bugs which we have had since beta would be addressed, there would be fixes for Rangers in the last patch, world transfers would last 1 week after release, name reservations, plus they said “It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill; it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun rather than just having fun.”

Never mind I’m starting to see a repeating pattern here. Glad you enjoy your game, hope everyone else does too.

Colton.9460

Trust me if anything after the amount of gems my miniguild has bought and spent of stupid stuff in the store I am more inclined to believe we bribed them to change the game lol

Curlybaby.6258

Trust me if anything after the amount of gems my miniguild has bought and spent of stupid stuff in the store I am more inclined to believe we bribed them to change the game lol

Then I hope for ANet’s sake that your miniguild can support their game because they’re going to need all three of you to spend a lot more to make up for the masses of miniguilds they will lose after this fiasco.

We are not hamsters!

Posted by: ckeeton.4907

ckeeton.4907

Then I hope for ANet’s sake that your miniguild can support their game because they’re going to need all three of you to spend a lot more to make up for the masses of miniguilds they will lose after this fiasco.

oh for the love of god. get over yourself. just because you and other people dont like it doesnt mean EVERYONE doesnt like it. stop acting like you speak for everyone please. its embarrassing.

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

I certainly agree with the OP. The important thing to understand is they have stated ascended gear can be obtained not only through the dungeons but in other methods. They have confirmed alternate methods to obtain it WILL be in the game so that any play style can obtain the gear.

It isn’t a matter of methods, it is a matter of time. If you have to do anything for the same amount of time it currently takes to get a single piece – currently sitting at about 60 hours, on the low side, that excludes a lot of players. And all that time the players who can’t grind a ton are at a disadvantage while they do play, whether it be in PVP or PVE.

Posted by: Calsifer.6079

Calsifer.6079

WAY too much negativity from some people. It’s just a game for goodness sake. It’s not like having to get another tier of gear is going to screw your life over.

I for one agree with the OP. The new content is great! I love the new dungeon, spent 3 hours last night with guildies in that dungeon. Most fun I’ve had in a game for awhile. I’m also slowly saving up for T3 Cultural and am in the process of gearing up. So keen for what they do with Wintersday!

Ninja Stokk – Thief. CD.

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

ANET made the manifesto a lie when they introduced Ascended gear. Why do you expect anything else they say on the same topic (Ascended gear and infusions) to be the truth ?

Posted by: forrae.6708

forrae.6708

while i dont like the new changes, i think its an overreaction to immedietly jump to your feet and assume that they are intending on putting a gear treadmill as steep as the likes of WoW’s (or even worse, that of a korean grindfest mmo).

im willing to see where things go and wait for an official response from Anet rather than run around declaring its the end of the world or that the end is near.

this may all boil down to something that only looks like theyre going against their manifesto and in the end be nothing. or this may be a move not motivated by Anet themselves but NCsoft or Nexon. it would explain the silence on Anet’s part. but all we can do is speculate and see where things go. or overreact, uninstall and demand a refund.

thugged out since cubscouts

Posted by: Pandinus.9073

Pandinus.9073

WAY too much negativity from some people. It’s just a game for goodness sake. It’s not like having to get another tier of gear is going to screw your life over.

I for one agree with the OP. The new content is great! I love the new dungeon, spent 3 hours last night with guildies in that dungeon. Most fun I’ve had in a game for awhile. I’m also slowly saving up for T3 Cultural and am in the process of gearing up. So keen for what they do with Wintersday!

Well to be letdown after 5 years, it was also the only game of its kind. I’ve probably only logged on briefly to run an explorable to get a few tokens and get my pants.But virtually, since the announcement of ascended gear and now that they’ve been datamined and revealed how hard it will be to get them I’ve lost all urge to play and 5 years of love for this game has but vanished in one week.

The new content may be fantastic, I have no problem with the new content but the ascended gear and to a lesser extent agony. If they just lower it to exotic stats and make them unique skins I will jump right back and open my wallet for Anet, but as of yet it is sealed and they’ve lost me as a player for the most part.

Colton.9460

Sometimes people on this forum confuses me. How does rewarding players for playing the game not equate to people having more reasons to play the game? Sure people will say that this is a BTP game they dont need people to keep playing…….to me that doesnt make sense; why would anyone make a game and not want people to play it extensively.

Then people will argue that stuff need to be more difficult, or it needs to be easier, no one can just be happy. It seems like the people the most hurt by progression are the casuals; is this supposed to be a casual only kind of game? Aren’t diehard players what a MMO community thrives on? Can the casuals not see that some people have more free time and that to us the game needed a little more to work through?

I hear your problems with this, and respect your opinions; however I think that focusing a game around people that can only play a few hours a week sounds good on paper but has to evolve as the game matures.

I will be honest and say I cant understand however that most of you want skill to be more important than gear. If skill progression( how well you play) should be the determining factor of the game then dont you have to say that being skilled is easier, and take less time then getting gear?

Would you have the same problems if the game was so hard that only people who played all the time were good enough to do dungeons? Or do you want everyting to be available all the time for no effort? This is a sincere question since I really just dont understand.

(edited by Colton.9460)

Posted by: Fortuna.7259

Fortuna.7259

Life? Hardly. The game? Yeah. Plenty of other games got screwed over before. I never think about them after a month or two.

LF2M Max Ascended Only!

ckeeton.4907

No it wont screw the game over thats just silly

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Ingame poll, just like in beta.

Let’s put this to a vote.

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Sometimes people on this forum confuse me. How does rewarding players for playing the game not equate to people having more reasons to play the game? Sure people will say that this is a BTP game they dont need people to keep playing…….to me that doesnt make sense; why would anyone make a game and not want people to play it extensively.

Then people will argue that stuff need to be more difficult, or it needs to be easier, no one can just be happy. It seems like the people the most hurt by progression are the casuals; is this supposed to be a casual only kind of game? Aren’t diehard players what a MMO community thrives on? Can the casuals not see that some people have more free time and that to us the game needed a little more to work through?

I understand your problems, and respect your opinions; however I think that focusing a game around people that can only play a few hours a week sounds good on paper but has to evolve as the game matures.

I will be honest and say I can understand however that most of you want skill to be more important than gear. If skill progression( how well you play) should be the determining factor of the game then dont you have to say that being skilled is easier, and take less time then getting gear?

Would you have the same problems if the game was so hard that only people who played all the time were good enough to do dungeons? Or do you want everyting to be available all the time for no effort? This is a sincere question since I really just dont understand.

60 hours a piece at 2 hours a day is a piece a month. Or a whole set in a year and a half. That’s playing 2 hours a day, every day, for a year and a half. If that is casual, how often does an average player play?

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Sometimes people on this forum confuses me. How does rewarding players for playing the game not equate to people having more reasons to play the game?

Because we don’t want to play the same content over and over just to get the gear. Gear that is mandatory for the next tier of content.

Because ANET’s manifesto promised that this wouldn’t happen.

Because we play games to enjoy ourselves. Grinding the same content over and over is more like work than fun.

Posted by: Osprey.6587

Osprey.6587

Doesnt look like I will be able to play for a while so I guess I can keep responding:

Well I would argue that the entire fanbase wasn’t made of people like yourself. From the forum criticism of the endgame and lack of progression( which I am sure you also opposed) I would say at progressionist at very least are a significant part of the community( although majority/minority would be pure speculation from me).

I would assume they made the switch for a reason, either people werent happy, people were leaving( like my group), or that this is simply how they had planned to move forward from the beginning. If the decision was made because of the first two then yes I am okay with it; they thought it would be best for the life of the game.

If it is the last one then I can see how people would be upset; however, if your fanbase is large enough then they will change it again. I think a utilitarian approach is a smart financial move and important to keeping a robust population for MMOs. It seems people always want to think they are the majority though, and sometime it doesnt work that way.( not that you arent, just simply I think it is rather hard to tell)

The problem is that guys like you will be out of here in a heartbeat as soon as you get all the best gear again which probably won’t be too long. Either that or some new game will drop and you will all bolt for that because let’s face it, as carrots on a stick go, this one they’ve added kind of sucks. The rest of us that didn’t give a rat’s rear end about having a gear treadmill have lost the only MMO game we could call home and to me that really, really sucks.

Curlybaby.6258

Sometimes people on this forum confuses me. How does rewarding players for playing the game not equate to people having more reasons to play the game?

Because there are many other ways to reward players for playing the game without having to deceive their player base and compromise a long stated manifesto by instituting a dreaded gear-grind treadmill.

We are not hamsters!

We are not hamsters!

ckeeton.4907

Because there are many other ways to reward players for playing the game without having to deceive their player base and compromise a long stated manifesto by instituting the dreaded gear-grind treadmill.

its only a gear grind if you make it one.

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

You want to compete in Wv3 at top level again? Have to grind. Want to participate in future content since all previous gear does not have infusion slots? Have to grind.

No matter what, you have to have this stuff unless you only sPvP.

forrae.6708

because in Anet’s previous game, GW1, people werent rewarded with raising the stat ceiling. just better looking gear and titles. which was enough for everyone who played. on top of that, with every new campaign, new skills were added. the level cap was never raised and the stat ceiling remained static. thats what i was hoping would have happened with GW2, have the gear with the best stats relatively easy to get to keep a level playing ground and only change the cosmetics.

also, skill based progression would be a lot more challenging than “here you go, better stats.” id rather (and im sure most of the people on this game) would rather be tested as an individual player and overcome something difficult without the potential crutch of better gear. being able to outgear things is never fun and discourages backward compatibility. when i played WoW, it was always disappointing that i would never be able to experience older content that i never got to considering how late i started playing, in the way it was meant to be experienced. the static stat ceiling ensures that all content stays relevant and challenging regardless. oh sure, the game scales your level down, but that is only base stats, it never scales your gear down, which is why with with full exotics, you can go around a starting zone and 2 shot things just as easily if they didnt scale you down.

if the difficulty of things is amplified, then skill does in fact become a bigger factor than gear. really wish more MMO’s would take that into consideration rather than just allow players to gear their way through something. “oh we didnt down that boss? no worries, we have the past 3 on farm, we’ll just kill them and gear up for this one.”

if everything was difficult and gear was hardly a determining factor, i know i for one would want to stick around. of course, not impossibly difficult, but enough to require that you know your class well, know the combat system well and how the game itself works. same in PvP (which is fortunately already like that). in other games, especially WoW, gear plays such a huge role in PvP that if you dont have at least the current arena seasons basic gear, you may as well not PvP at all. ive been there. its incredibly annoying when people who are more or less awful at the game still get through only because they meet the gear requirements, even just barely. of course, if playing competitively isnt your thing, then the devs should cater to that as well, make not as challenging but still fun content. there doesnt need to be a gear treadmill to satisfy even the hardcore players. it was something that was never needed in the genre to begin with, but someone somewhere thought it was a good idea and it stuck.

Curlybaby.6258

Because there are many other ways to reward players for playing the game without having to deceive their player base and compromise a long stated manifesto by instituting the dreaded gear-grind treadmill.

A gear grind is a gear grind is a gear grind. You can put a blinder over your eyes all day long and say it over and over again but that will not make the gear grind go away.

We are not hamsters!

Posted by: Tempest.1254

Tempest.1254

It’s great that you’re happy with the game now, but Guild Wars was not about this type of gimmicky content, their manifesto made it clear Guild Wars 2 would follow suit, and so this new content goes back on years worth of design philosophy.

Furthermore, there’s a lot to do in this game. If you chose not to do any of it, that doesn’t mean there was nothing to do.

CaptainVenus.5179

But I thought exo …

Oh wait, nevermind.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

while i dont like the new changes, i think its an overreaction to immedietly jump to your feet and assume that they are intending on putting a gear treadmill as steep as the likes of WoW’s (or even worse, that of a korean grindfest mmo).

As one who spent years on the WoW treadmill I can tell you it doesn’t even compare to the steepness of the Ascended requirements. It was easy to gear up in WoW both in PvE and PvP—there was a known path to the gear you wanted and you may have needed to run an instance several times but you got it fairly rapidly at no cost beyond repairs (which the guild paid). The grind to gear up to Ascended will take forever (and cost a fortune) for anyone not playing the game HC. And herein lies the problem: AN is creating the very situation they marketed against with GW. And the problem is not so much with the difficulty of obtaining Ascended gear, the problem is the creation of a treadmill and gated content. They’ve violated the core principles they sold the game on. The issue seems pretty clear. I understand that some want a treadmill. But, if you had done the research you would know that GW was unique in being treadmill-less. It really doesn’t make any sense to buy a game opposed to treadmills and then lobby for one. I guess it made sense to AN though, so you got your treadmill.

CaptainVenus.5179

As one who spent years on the WoW treadmill I can tell you it doesn’t even compare to the steepness of the Ascended requirements. It was easy to gear up in WoW both in PvE and PvP—there was a known path to the gear you wanted and you may have needed to run an instance several times but you got it fairly rapidly at no cost beyond repairs (which the guild paid). The grind to gear up to Ascended will take forever (and cost a fortune) for anyone not playing the game HC. And herein lies the problem: AN is creating the very situation they marketed against with GW. And the problem is not so much with the difficulty of obtaining Ascended gear, the problem is the creation of a treadmill and gated content. They’ve violated the core principles they sold the game on. The issue seems pretty clear. I understand that some want a treadmill. But, if you had done the research you would know that GW was unique in being treadmill-less. It really doesn’t make any sense to buy a game opposed to treadmills and then lobby for one. I guess it made sense to AN though, so you got your treadmill.

Holy kitten, my mum is called Raine.

/agree with your post aswell

Colton.9460

Because we don’t want to play the same content over and over just to get the gear. Gear that is mandatory for the next tier of content.

Because we play games to enjoy ourselves. Grinding the same content over and over is more like work than fun.

You would rather play the same content over and over again for nothing? Or do you really have fun playing the same dungeons over and over agian, if so why is getting a reward detrimental to that? The old system just left you a bunch of dungeons to redo or reexploring places you already went to before. Manifestos are not legal contracts with players, if your design isnt working you are crazy if you dont fix it in fear of breaking a “here is what we hope to accomplish” statement. And I do find it fun to do something till I progress, it is kinda my manifesto..

@ Osprey- Sure when a new game comes out Ill play it, just did with Borderlands 2. I dont think the game cares if I cheat on it a little. I will play the game as long as there are things to do and I am having fun. So I guess you are right, when I am through all the content I will take a break and then when more is released I will come back- some people just play to play? Ill just play when it is fun, thanks.

@ curly- The point is that me and my ilk like to become more powerful, even if scaling dictates that given the increased difficulty of the dungeons we are still the same. I like the look of my Exotics; playing dress up is what my daughter does for fun.(no offense)

@ forrae- I fail to see how time taken to improve skill is much better than time taken to improve gear. Different people acquire skill at different rates, while gear can be farmed at a fairly equal rate. If anything making gear a factor makes the game more balanced from a grind standpoint because everyone has to have about the same time commitment. Also, make the game harder, please, after farming gear for hours you do pick up some skill on the way; believe it or not.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

The old system just left you a bunch of dungeons to redo or reexploring places you already went to before.

Actually, if by “the old system” you meant Guild Wars 1, we had a lot of new game content, with a lot of new dungeons and a lot of new areas to explore, regardless of the lack of gear progression.

With GW2, the Halloween update gave us things to do without adding gear progression. The new dungeon, Fractal of the Mists, has been said to be really fun; had it been added without the new items, wouldn’t it be giving players more content without gear progression?

The thing is:

Some players need gear progression to enjoy the game.

Other players can enjoy the game by playing the game. No need to receive a reward for doing so. Just as, when people go see a movie, they don’t get paid for it – the experience is its own reward.

The first group is not going to be pleased. They will grind Ascended gear quickly, and then complain that they don’t have anything to do (again). The second group, who enjoys playing the game, would be happy with Fractal of the Mists without the need for a new tier of gear.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

forrae.6708

Different people acquire skill at different rates, while gear can be farmed at a fairly equal rate

which is why farming for gear is completely unimpressive. anyone who can organize a group together can do it. it seriously gets boring if the content is easy enough that you can claim to have a boss on farm. the ah-ha moment of actually figuring something challenging out is far more rewarding than getting your +10 stam +10 strength leather belt. especially when you know that everyone has the same tools available to them. once again, its how you use your tools, not what they are that should be important. im sure if FPS games started making a gear grind to get a +100 accuracy sniper rifle would make people who can quick scope seem entirely unimpressive.

having the best gear in the game available to everyone at only a small time commitment makes doing challenging things with it a lot more interesting.

as a side note, i dont care how gear looks 99% of the time. im just happy with the crafted exotic gear. if anything, becoming more powerful is just another way of saying “i like stroking my ego.” or compensating for something.

Posted by: Osprey.6587

Osprey.6587

You would rather play the same content over and over again for nothing? Or do you really have fun playing the same dungeons over and over agian, if so why is getting a reward detrimental to that? The old system just left you a bunch of dungeons to redo or reexploring places you already went to before. Manifestos are not legal contracts with players, if your design isnt working you are crazy if you dont fix it in fear of breaking a “here is what we hope to accomplish” statement. And I do find it fun to do something till I progress, it is kinda my manifesto..

I don’t need to be rewarded to enjoy something. Fun is it’s own reward. I just got done playing a round of golf and at the end of it I got nothing but I still enjoyed every minute of it.

@ Osprey- Sure when a new game comes out Ill play it, just did with Borderlands 2. I dont think the game cares if I cheat on it a little. I will play the game as long as there are things to do and I am having fun. So I guess you are right, when I am through all the content I will take a break and then when more is released I will come back- some people just play to play? Ill just play when it is fun, thanks.

I’m not gonna say you don’t mean what you say but I have past history on my side and that history dictates that when players move on from a game for whatever reason they seldom come back and if they do it isn’t for long because they remember why they left. Just sayin’.

Curlybaby.6258

@ curly- The point is that me and my ilk like to become more powerful, even if scaling dictates that given the increased difficulty of the dungeons we are still the same. I like the look of my Exotics; playing dress up is what my daughter does for fun.(no offense)

No offense taken. I, for one, like playing dress up. Matter of fact, my favorite game is Second Life but my bf likes GW2 so in order to play with him, I sometimes play GW2. He’s not really happy with the direction GW2 has taken but he isnt one to complain too much. He just grumbles lol. He is, however, one to stop playing a game if the game decides to make radical changes after its release (ie., nerfs) which is what i suspect he will do with GW2. But I can’t speak for him. All I can say, with great certainity is that, I for one ….

… am not a hamster!

We are not hamsters!

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

You would rather play the same content over and over again for nothing?

Cosmetic rewards are not nothing.
Also, I wouldn’t be playing the same content. I’d be switching it around to play whatever I felt like on that day, or just helping guild mates. There is no tangible reward there, but I do it anyway.

Or do you really have fun playing the same dungeons over and over agian, if so why is getting a reward detrimental to that?

I don’t. Which is the problem. The stat rewards force me to grind the dungeon that I don’t like over and over until I have the stats I need for the parts of the game I do enjoy.

The old system just left you a bunch of dungeons to redo or reexploring places you already went to before.

So ?
If I was bored of all the GW2 content I had another option: Stop playing for a while, come back later.
But with the gear treadmill that option is gone. If I leave because I find the treadmill too much like work (meaning not fun), it will mean that when I return I’ll have to work even harder to catch up with guild mates.
So if I fall off the gear treadmill, I’m not getting back on.

Manifestos are not legal contracts with players, if your design isnt working you are crazy if you dont fix it in fear of breaking a “here is what we hope to accomplish” statement.

But they are advertising. False advertising does get people in trouble in countries with working consumer protection laws.

And I do find it fun to do something till I progress, it is kinda my manifesto..

What if the thing you have to keep repeating is just boring ?

And you have to play it for at least an hour a day for months before you make progress ?

Also, make the game harder, please, after farming gear for hours you do pick up some skill on the way; believe it or not.

How does “make the game harder” fit with vertical progression ?
Any extra difficulty is just going to be removed when you get higher stats.

Colton.9460

@- I meant the GW2 in the 3 months prior, and I understand what you are saying. But If all I had to do at the theater was watch the same 4 movies over and over again then I would want something, or I wouldnt watch them. Their is only a limited amount of stuff to do in the game, and anyone who finds it actually fun to run the same dungeon 50 times for purely “fun” is someone that Anet would ban me for expressing my feeling about.

Yes my groupies will get bored of it after we have maxed everything, the point seems to be that we make up enough of the population of the game that Anet saw fit to cater to us. It seems like their are a lot more of people in group 1 then most group 2s want to believe.

@forrae- Yes easy content is boring, that is why they are making the gear matched with equally boosted dungeons; which seems to be the problem for some people. I want challenge but I also want some loot. You can say that it is not that kind of game….oh sorry you could say that( too soon?) but apparently enough people wanted some new stuff, (no not pretty things) that Anet saw fit to throw us a bone. Btw I do live to stroke my ego and my kitten is rather small( me and my wife go to counseling, she probably cheats on me), however I fail to see how that is relevant unless personal attacks what float your boat.( its cool, we all have something)

@ Osprey- I do things for fun as well believe it or not, we just have different definitions. You just played golf and had a blast, but tell me that it wouldnt have been better if afterwards someone came up to you and said “you did pretty well, he is 1000$”. And I do mean what I say trust me, I left……and then came back. That is the whole point of my post lol

(edited by Colton.9460)

forrae.6708

ego stroking leads to elitism which leads to not allowing anyone to do the content.
wont be long before we see “lfm insert dungeon here ascended gear only plz”
sure skill gates disallow this as well, but as long as there is content for people who dont care about being the best and jsut want to have fun, it should all be good. its like the difference between random sPvP games and paid tournaments.

and then “lfm whatever 66k gearscore only plz”

sure im a massive elitist jerk. i tell people how to play all the time. but its better than being an elitist jerk over gear.

making the gear matched with content is boring. seriously. when your group is geared to the point that even the hardest content is on farm, then its completely pointless. to be able to go back and still be challenged is a lot more interesting than to left one shotting boss after boss after like 2 weeks of farming gear. been there done that. unless they just make difficulty scale up with stats, in which case would be pretty much the same as just never moving the stat ceiling.

i always feel that with gear based progression, games then become glorified spreadsheet simulators. if i wanted to that, id launch microsoft excel and put in random numbers all day. that or auction house simulators. depends on the approach.

but whatever, we’ll see where all this go. for all we know, this could be a massive PR stunt or something outside of Anet’s control.

the thing is, Anet never marketed GW2 to the gear grind people. just the people who liked what GW did or the people fed up with the traditional MMO model.

and really, the whole thing boils down to an ethical issue than anything else.

Curlybaby.6258

Yes my groupies will get bored of it after we have maxed everything, the point seems to be that we make up enough of the population of the game that Anet saw fit to cater to us. It seems like their are a lot more of people in group 1 then most group 2s want to believe.

Of course you gear-grind treadmill players make up enough of the population. What type of player do you suppose plays WOW? That game has a player base numbering in the millions of that population. The point being is that this is not the game that ANet sold GW2 to be. ANet simply got greedy and decided they wanted part of that population and in doing so they compromised their integrity, long stated manifesto, and succeeded in a big way in alienating their long-time loyal customer base.

We will see soon see how this turns out for them.

We are not hamsters!

Colton.9460

This was fun, and I would like to thank you all for playing my game. I would just like to say a few words before I bow out. First I am a PvPer, all my friends left long ago when the maps got stale and they will not be coming back. I am happy to say I am not married and have bought nothing from the store other than the free horns at halloween.

Gear progression, endgame progression of are no consequence to me; as pvp( for now) has static gear and only cosmetics as progression. I have also stopped playing the game, as the lack of new pvp content and game types made me burn out in the first month and a half.

Lastly, I made this post because I was waiting for a file to download and had nothing better to do. In truth, adding gear progression is tantamount to Anet admitting failure both philosophically and in term of game design. They could not excel through innovation so they decided to cop out and go with flow of WoW clones. Sad coming from a developer with so much unfulfilled promise. Ninja Trolling is an art and this piece is finished.

/bow