Thank you for the Free Content Updates!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

I just want to put it out there:

Thank you for the game updates. Halloween was a blast and had more content than that of 2-3 “major” patch updates from other games. Most of the content was temporary (sad face for Reaper’s Rumble), but there was also lot of newly added permanent content as well. It was great.

The Lost Shores looks to have a great amount more coming out. It’s great that you’re adding the content in an extravagant way such as the live events. I also love the fact that that not only is there just a new dungeon, but an entirely new zone with new mob types, new mechanics, new items, and new crafting recipes (and hopefully new jumping puzzles… lots of them!).

The new item tier of Ascended is good to hear. It’s only a 7.4% increase in stats/overall power, which isn’t to stay it’s a huge advantage at all (when factoring in WvW usage). The rarity of the items is yet to be seen to determine whether it’ll be obtainable sooner rather than later, but you haven’t let us down with the easily obtainable Exotics, Rares, and such.

You’re still doing much better than other games that only gives a single boss reward to a party of 5-20 (and locked in class items makes it worse! oh how much it sucks to have a heavy-wearing healer item drop and not have one in your party). I like that everyone in my party is equally rewarded for the kill of a dungeon boss, outside that of the RNG chest rewards as well.

You guys are doing an exceptionally well job at expanding the game and updating it to a quality standard so much higher than many other MMO’s have have come (and passed) in the past 1/2 decade.

Thank you very much.

Signed,
A still-loyal fan.

Posted by: LordYz.8941

LordYz.8941

I bet this topic will not get merged.

Also, 8% is ALOT in MMO terms.

You mean in hardcore, overly obsessed and huge ego gamers term.

I also want to thank ANet for the update! Stats to me are nothing but the cosmetics stuff and new area are refreshing. A break from looking at half rotten zombies all day.

Sea of Sorrows, Black Snow Suave.
Recruiting dungeon raiders.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

8% PER ITEM will mean a lot eventually.

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

I also want to thank ANet for the update! Stats to me are nothing but the cosmetics stuff and new area are refreshing. A break from looking at half rotten zombies all day.

lets say you make 100k a year. Is 8 thousand dollars something you would pass on?

lets say your mortgage is 3.2%. Is a bump to 11.2% something that would not think twice about?

8% is a lot.

Posted by: LordYz.8941

LordYz.8941

This is a thank you thread. Please move your 8% to other post. There is a BIG thread on that. BB .

Sea of Sorrows, Black Snow Suave.
Recruiting dungeon raiders.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I agree with the original post, thank you Arena Net your hard work is appreciated!

Seems silly so many do not realise that they are getting a mini expansion worth of material completely free and with no monthly fee to boot.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I would also like to thank Anet for the Services added. But all events were free in Guildwars so i wasn’t shocked to see free events in Guildwars 2…

I’m not overly happy about Ascended gears and yes 8% is a lot in stats.

I’d personally be looking for fixes in professions and dungeons over new content but saying that new content is nice too.

Most professions still are very broken and Dungeons we have now are insanely hard. Skills are in need of adding and polishing…

More higher gears are not high on the spectrum in my opinion. and i thought this was against how Guildwars worked?

Posted by: Those Who Remain.1987

Those Who Remain.1987

lets say your mortgage is 3.2%. Is a bump to 11.2% something that would not think twice about?

8% is a lot.

You mean 3.456%, as it is an 8% increase based on your current power (which we deem 100%)

That said, any more speculation about the future is starting to seem like a slippery slope. Let’s wait for it and see how easily they are obtained, what their exact use is in terms of infusions etc.

More higher gears are not high on the spectrum in my opinion. and i thought this was against how Guildwars worked?

And what if ANet had included this tier in the actualk release. Would there still be a problem?

I’ll say that this new tier is not a problem in itself. If there are more tiers to be released, then the argument about the gear treadmill becomes more valid.

At the moment, this is all speculation. I doubt Anet is unaware of the possible consequences for such a decision.

(edited by Those Who Remain.1987)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

My personal feelings about Ascended items notwithstanding (I’m generally against it, but I feel it could be manageable depending on what other changes make to existing and new items to accomodate the new tier), I AM thankful to ANet for the free new content. Halloween was a lot of fun, and I hope that the Lost Shores proves to be just as enjoyable.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The new item tier of Ascended is good to hear. It’s only a 7.4% increase in stats/overall power, which isn’t to stay it’s a huge advantage at all (when factoring in WvW usage).

Lol, look at the increase in primary stat. That is Magic find in this case. Increase is about 40%, not 8. Please, tell me that isn’t much.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

This isn’t shocking new content, and you have nothing new to be thankful for. This is simply the rest of the unfinished product they already sold you. I know it’s wierd, coming from any other company, where you’re used to having to pay for half finished trash drawn in crayon with stories written by a bored 10-year-old, but...

Here in Guild Wars, this is normal. They give you good content, consistantly, for no monthly fee. And only screw up about once every two years. You don’t need to thank them for new content, because this isn’t new, it’s just released in stages to keep it feeling good.

Now, if you’d like to thank A-net for just being generally awesome, and having an amazing business model, great design philosophy, and mostly great employees, you should.

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

Posted by: Zefiris.8297

Zefiris.8297

And what if ANet had included this tier in the actualk release. Would there still be a problem

If it’s hard to reach, yes.

if not, then not. IT’s about the gear plateau. If they change the plateau, their promise is broken. If the gear plateau is hard to reach – promise broken.

As simple as that. Many in the core fanbase bought this game precisely because the gear plateau was supposed to be easy to reach right away, with further progression being cosmetic only.

That’s not the case anymore, which is what breaks it and why people legitimately ask for refunds or changes (which, by the way, people are getting – should tell you something, evidently the people at NCsoft realize that core promises are being broken).

Nobody dislikes new content as such, but additional stats just aren’t content.

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Changing the plateau isn’t the problem. They can raise it all they want.

The promise is broken when they require that you get to it to participate in content.

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

Posted by: yononan.8931

yononan.8931

This is obviously a cash grab. The stats are high enough to make basically Everyone who plays GW2 want to get a full set… This is undeniable. Ask yourself, will you be happy with 8% less stats than everyone else?

Anet knows you will not be “comfortable” being “subpar”… this is an age old marketing tactic, though it is also a fully reprehensible one.

Then, once everyone starts making noise, you send a nice smiling rep to calm the masses and use “euphemisms” to convince you that this is what you wanted all along.

Sound familiar?

It should.

Hello sheep, enjoy the fleecing. I’m already cutting my losses and will be seeing you all in WvWvW no more.

Phy.2913

This is obviously a cash grab. The stats are high enough to make basically Everyone who plays GW2 want to get a full set… This is undeniable. Ask yourself, will you be happy with 8% less stats than everyone else?

Anet knows you will not be “comfortable” being “subpar”… this is an age old marketing tactic, though it is also a fully reprehensible one.

Then, once everyone starts making noise, you send a nice smiling rep to calm the masses and use “euphemisms” to convince you that this is what you wanted all along.

Sound familiar?

It should.

Hello sheep, enjoy the fleecing. I’m already cutting my losses and will be seeing you all in WvWvW no more.

Exactly, without a full set of back and ring ascended items no one will take me seriously.

DOOM I SAY!

yononan.8931

Sound familiar?

It should.

Exactly, without a full set of back and ring ascended items no one will take me seriously.

DOOM I SAY!

Did you even see the stats on, say, an ascended ring before spewing your sarcasm?

Go look it up. Then come back and tell me how wrong you were.

Phy.2913

I have. I also know that there’s only 2 ascended item slots as of now.

Those Who Remain.1987

I have. I also know that there’s only 2 ascended item slots as of now.

Lol. Right. Go check your sources. I think you’re a little, teeny, tiny, wee bit mistaken.

This patch only involves the ring and backslot. Future content will slowly release the other possible Ascended gear.

At least, this is what I have found in all official sources.

Phy.2913

Negatron batman. Either way, it doesn’t matter since I’ll wait for the update and see how it goes before spouting my hate speech and doomsaying on the forum about what a tyrannical money hungry company Anet is.

You know, the logical response.

yononan.8931

Negatron batman. Either way, it doesn’t matter since I’ll wait for the update and see how it goes before spouting my hate speech and doomsaying on the forum about what a tyrannical money hungry company Anet is.

Go look at the comment posted before your last one to me. Thanks!

yononan.8931

Also, I forgot to ask a question I’ve been meaning to ask you.

Do you honestly believe that the ring and backslot are going to be the only ascended tier items?

Do you honestly believe that Anet is bothering to create a WHOLE other tier of gear… for just rings and backslot?

If so, I have some really awesome snake oil to sell you that cures cancer and acne.

Those Who Remain.1987

Do you honestly believe that the ring and backslot are going to be the only ascended tier items?

Do you honestly believe that Anet is bothering to create a WHOLE other tier of gear… for just rings and backslot?

If so, I have some really awesome snake oil to sell you that cures cancer and acne.

I would like to point you towards the keywords of Phy’s first message:
as of now
He is correct in that aspect and in no way contradicts the information I posted after him.

I feel the outrage on the forums is unwarranted at this point. Had this been the second or third time Anet introduced a new tier, there would be chance for an actual debate.

All I’m seeing now is slippery slope fallacies based on the experience in other MMO’s.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Your faith that this will not happen ever again is just as unsupported as their idea that it will.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

8% is the difference between a skill based game and an equip baed game….

ADD infusion slot….

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Those Who Remain.1987

Your faith that this will not happen ever again is just as unsupported as their idea that it will.

It isn’t faith. There is simply no information to suggest otherwise at this point.

I am ready to adjust my opinion if ANet decides to create additional tiers after this one. When that happens, the gear treadmill will be set in motion. The idea of a treadmill is that it keeps going and going, which can’t be done by one additional tier.

At this point, I am of the opinion that the Infusion system is what prevents the ‘Gear Treadmill’ from actually starting.

Posted by: Zetsubo.2589

Zetsubo.2589

I’d like to say, while I don’t agree with the choice of stat increase on Ascended gear, I do appreciate such a big content infusion so soon in the game’s lifespan. Thank you ANet for your hard work.

Phy.2913

It isn’t faith. There is simply no information to suggest otherwise at this point.

I am ready to adjust my opinion if ANet decides to create additional tiers after this one. When that happens, the gear treadmill will be set in motion. The idea of a treadmill is that it keeps going and going, which can’t be done by one additional tier.

At this point, I am of the opinion that the Infusion system is what prevents the ‘Gear Treadmill’ from actually starting.

It also depends how the infusions work. Who’s to say infusions wont become a treadmill themselves? Though it could be used to satisfy the pro-treadmill types.

Substance E.4852

Believing something simply because there is nothing disproving it is still faith.

I could roll out Russell’s Teapot but this is already getting off topic and the forum mods have an itchy trigger finger.

Those Who Remain.1987

It also depends how the infusions work. Who’s to say infusions wont become a treadmill themselves? Though it could be used to satisfy the pro-treadmill types.

Which is exactly why I vouch for waiting for additional information, instead of relying on assumptions about the future to judge current content.
Like I said, I am skeptical as well at this point, but I’d say there is too little concrete information to condemn Anet for their decision.

Believing something simply because there is nothing disproving it is still faith.

I could roll out Russell’s Teapot but this is already getting off topic and the forum mods have an itchy trigger finger.

All I am trying to say is to avoid hasty conclusions based on incomplete information and assumptions.

At this point, we do not know what the future will look like exactly for GW2 in terms of gear. we should not judge the current update negatively based on assumptions about the future.

Treat the additional tier for what it is-one additional tier. If you disagree with that, then I will respect that decision as you based your verdict on the current update. As soon as you start with the ‘but they will add even more tiers!’, I will point out the fallacy in your reasoning in an attempt to make judgment more objective.

yononan.8931

I would like to point you towards the keywords of Phy’s first message:
as of now
He is correct in that aspect and in no way contradicts the information I posted after him.

I feel the outrage on the forums is unwarranted at this point. Had this been the second or third time Anet introduced a new tier, there would be chance for an actual debate.

All I’m seeing now is slippery slope fallacies based on the experience in other MMO’s.

I get your point… but all I’m trying to do is state the obvious. Anet obviously wants to create a full set of Ascended armor. Since when has a tier of gear in any MMO only constituted 2 types of accessories? Never! Do you expect anyone to believe that Anet intends for ONLY rings and backpacks to be Ascended tier? I think you know the answer to this, but hate to say it aloud. Has this been “officially” announced? No. Have gamers been subject to this kind of surreptitious treatment before? Yes!

Therefore, do gamers have adequate rationale for assuming that this will be a gear treadmill?

Sure! It is certainly not an unreasonable assumption to make. The “politi-speak” being doled out by their customer reps is just insulting icing on the cake.

Those Who Remain.1987

They confirmed there will be an entire tier of Ascended armor. Read their blog about it. This does not confirm the existence of a Gear Treadmill though

Substance E.4852

Which is exactly why I vouch for waiting for additional information, instead of relying on assumptions about the future to judge current content.
Like I said, I am skeptical as well at this point, but I’d say there is too little concrete information to condemn Anet for their decision.

All I am trying to say is to avoid hasty conclusions based on incomplete information and assumptions.

At this point, we do not know what the future will look like exactly for GW2 in terms of gear. we should not judge the current update negatively based on assumptions about the future.

Treat the additional tier for what it is-one additional tier. If you disagree with that, then I will respect that decision as you based your verdict on the current update. As soon as you start with the ‘but they will add even more tiers!’, I will point out the fallacy in your reasoning in an attempt to make judgment more objective.

I never took a side but thank you for assuming that I did.
All I pointed out was you have no more concrete evidence that they won’t add in more equipment levels just as the other side has no evidence that this isn’t the last we will see of it.

Posted by: Eadgyt.5987

Eadgyt.5987

I love new content! keep it coming.. Was the first time in many years I actually had game-fun during Halloween

Would love even more skins and customization options!

It’s just a shame they’re going back on their own word.

Quote L. Murdock:
The new additions in November are just the start of our item progression initiative. We’re going to add tons of new high-level content to Guild Wars 2 in the future. As we introduce the new high-level content, we’ll also roll out complimentary Ascended and Legendary items (to say nothing of the other rewards you can earn by playing the content).

~ Stuff stuff STUFF! ~

Those Who Remain.1987

I never took a side but thank you for assuming that I did.
All I pointed out was you have no more concrete evidence that they won’t add in more equipment levels just as the other side has no evidence that this isn’t the last we will see of it.

I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have used ‘you’. I was referring to the general person that would reply on these forums.

I realize my error in typing it and I want to emphasize that it was not my intention to pigeonhole you into one of the ‘camps’. Sorry.

I love new content! keep it coming.. Was the first time in many years I actually had game-fun during Halloween

Would love even more skins and customization options!

It’s just a shame they’re going back on their own word.

Quote L. Murdock:
The new additions in November are just the start of our item progression initiative. We’re going to add tons of new high-level content to Guild Wars 2 in the future. As we introduce the new high-level content, we’ll also roll out complimentary Ascended and Legendary items (to say nothing of the other rewards you can earn by playing the content).

Item progression does not imply for certain that there will be more tiers. The infusion slot is an example of how to progress equipment without additional tiers. (If only they could’ve implemented them on Exotics, would’ve saved a lot of hassle I think)

New high-level content is a good thing (dungeons, areas etc.) and is not confirmed to be related to new tiers of gear.

yononan.8931

They confirmed there will be an entire tier of Ascended armor. Read their blog about it. This does not confirm the existence of a Gear Treadmill though

Doesn’t that sound a bit self-contradictory to you?

“We’re adding a new tier, but it’s not a new tier…” is what I kind of hear out of all this.

Those Who Remain.1987

“We’re adding a new tier, but it’s not a new tier…” is what I kind of hear out of all this.

One new tier=/=gear treadmill.

It isn’t contradictory until Anet decides to set the treadmill into motion with more and more additional tiers.

At this point, I see the Ascended gear as the last step on a stair towards finality. Especially because of the Infusion mechanic, which I believe is a versatile tool to avoid the need for further stat increases when it comes to new high-level challenges.

I sincerely hope this is the case and I as well would be saddened if Anet decided to set the gear treadmill into motion. I just am optimistic most of the time.

Posted by: Smitt.8602

Smitt.8602

I will toss in my thanks to Anet as well! I loved the Halloween update and Lost Shores looks to be even better. Great job on a great game! Looking forward to spending time in Tyria for many years to come.

Have none.

yononan.8931

One new tier=/=gear treadmill.

It isn’t contradictory until Anet decides to set the treadmill into motion with more and more additional tiers.

At this point, I see the Ascended gear as the last step on a stair towards finality. Especially because of the Infusion mechanic, which I believe is a versatile tool to avoid the need for further stat increases when it comes to new high-level challenges.

I really do hope you are right… However, historical perspective makes me a bit less optimistic…

With the advent of such things as “DLC” and “Season passes” to games, can you blame a guy for being so jaded?

Those Who Remain.1987

I really do hope you are right… However, historical perspective makes me a bit less optimistic…

With the advent of such things as “DLC” and “Season passes” to games, can you blame a guy for being so jaded?

Not really. I am aware of how such a new addition relatively soon in the timespan of GW2 may come to a shock-or even an insult- to some players.

Posted by: Reclusiarh.2674

Reclusiarh.2674

Of course Anet will eventually give use the whole armor and trinket set in Ascendant tier. That was implied in their blog if you carefully read it.
That was the basic idea, to introduce a tier of gear that would fill the void between the exotic and the legendary for those who have exotics but don’t want to or have no time to grind for legendary. For casual players essentially.
So they changed their initiall concept of gear tiers as we used to know them until now, to satisfy the call for a change that was coming from the community as we could all witness through the numerous threads on this forum.
So here you have it now, be thankfull, after all you didn’t have to spend a single dime for it, and the community wanted it.

Guild wars should be war between orders, because orders are guilds too.

(edited by Reclusiarh.2674)

Posted by: Nachyochez.9758

Nachyochez.9758

for it, and the community wanted it.

From the ridiculous amounts of feedback, I’d say that no, no they did not want it.

On topic:
Arena.Net, Thank you for the event. Thank you for the new zone. Thank you for the almost* revolutionary dungeon. But I must politely decline the Ascended gear. No, really, I’m good. What. I can’t enjoy the dungeon w/o it?

Queue the rage.

Skif F Galco (War) | Bas Flaith (Thf) | Rawr Doomshot (Rng) | Cheshire Glamourclaw (Mes)

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I am constantly amazed and appreciative of all the content that ArenaNet so freely gives us.

The game is gorgeous and more fun to play than any other MMO I’ve tried.

ArenaNet, know that you have a loyal fanbase that loves the game.

Posted by: vox.5019

vox.5019

Yes thank you for turning your back on us and everything you and GW stood for so you could treat us like money cowreans

This industry just needs to move on. We’ve seen a bunch of “WoW 2.0” attempts, and
who actually wants that? Do we really want to be playing those same game mechanics for
another 5 or 10 years? -Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Xenlai.8694

Xenlai.8694

Thank you anet for the free content updates! I don’t like a gear treatmill but I’m not stupid enough to judge a whole game based on a mere article. Can’t wait for the event! My whole guild is very excited!!

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

If it’s anything like the scale of the Halloween event, I fully expect to be blown away

So excites!

Posted by: Swoo.5079

Swoo.5079

Adding content is great.
Adding the new gear tier is a good way to ruin a good thing.

Ascended items are Anet biggest mistake and a kneejerk reaction.

Posted by: Humposaurus.5764

Humposaurus.5764

Love the new content and up and coming content. I am going to grind that dungeon till my hands bleed >=) gonna get msyself that ring and then craft the back slot. I CANT WAIT GOOGO ANET MAKE MOAR!!!

I don’t understand the peoples frustration. You do not have yo grind these items if you don’t like it. The current content won’t get harder if you don not wear these new items. So you still get to do that!

KEEP GOING ANET!!!!!

Posted by: Quaz.4931

Quaz.4931

“8% isnt that much” so I assume you dont have any exotics? Rares are fine for you right?

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Yup i like the patch a lot too so thank you Anet.I like the content you bring and i like how often that happens.
Keep the good work.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Candacis.7048

Candacis.7048

I want to give my thanks as well. I don’t understand all the people who are crying over the new gear. I’m looking forward to it, but I guess I will be enjoying the new island a lot more ^^
I do so hope you think of other means of progession other than gear. Maybe some new stuff for guilds?