Thank you, thank you for the Reaper of Souls!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: JAP.5714

JAP.5714

Even though i’m a sucker for all the shiny laser swords I never the less think this sword is very nicely done (reminds me of something from the Souls series).

Good job.

It’s a dagger…

tricked me too initially.

Duped by the wiki. Let me change my statement to “laser daggers” (still works!), then.

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I really like the skin, a few months ago I was checking out weapon possibilities for my thief and I really wanted to use this skin but I couldn’t find any information about it anywhere. Now it’s here, although a bit too expensive for me to get it right now it is something I will try to get at some point. I am also the type of person that doesn’t really like the over the top flashy stuff. My warrior is geared in realistic armor, weaponry and a shield and so is my thief.

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

Other times a god’s hand come from the sky to hand you a universe tearing, light sparkling, night glowing mace that may not compel awe as much as it will force other around you to dance until the stubs of their bones beat a catchy cadence for your amusement.

Coming to a Gem store near you !!

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

I’m glad some people like the reaper of souls. But I’m gonna be keepin’ my glimmerfangs. XD

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

It looks like a level one starter weapon.

This crappy weapon had too much hype for just a rusty hedge trimmer. Really, after all that I expected a beautiful piece of digital art. Instead, we were “rewarded” with something that was clearly taken from a dilapidated, long forgotten, hardware store.

And thats what makes it awesome!!
I like the “nitty gritty” look. It’s like something you see in an old horror flick, and I feel deserves the name “Reaper of Souls”

I agree with pdavis here.

This is something for those who want to play a dark gritty character, rather than the hero of epic anerisms.

I, for one, will eventually get the Reaper of Souls on my necro.

Ninja katana greats word = gem store , rusted overhyped weapon = in game acquired.
I’m glad they r releasing new in game weaps but for kitten sake can we get cool rewards that are attainable through gameplay? Ido if they’re acct bound jst make it rewarding pls.

The Reaper of Souls isn’t “new”.

It was just undiscovered. Apparently no one thought to include the Heart vendor item in the Mystic Forge, and thus the recipe went unknown for 2 years.

The “hype” that was made was simply to put an end to the undiscovery.

I agree that its nice to have an increased variety of weapons, but its a bit pricey for something so plain. It could still have an effect such as the glint of sharp metal (not glittery), or maybe a spray of blood when you do a crit, or something like that.

It’s only pricy because it was just discovered.

Once time passes, it’ll be as cheap as the blood it takes to make it.

Maybe cheaper, in all honesty, as supply outweighs demand.

I think this thread is pretty good evidence that the value of skins is incredibly subjective. Sometimes a cool skin is going to be basic, gritty, realistic or plain. Other times a god’s hand come from the sky to hand you a universe tearing, light sparkling, night glowing mace that may not compel awe as much as it will force other around you to dance until the stubs of their bones beat a catchy cadence for your amusement.

You!

Give us more scavenger riddles for undiscovered thingies!

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

Not my kind of weapon,I prefer the shiny stuff

@Edit

But I don’t hate ArenaNet for adding it to the game btw,I like variety,also they are trying to please different kinds of people,not everything is made for everyone

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I thought this thread was about Diablo 3.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

I thought this thread was about Diablo 3.

Hahaha, oh dear. we mainstream now.
Well done sir.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

i really like the skin…..but not for what it costs to make. if it was also the first step in crafting something a bit more “shiney” (love the blood slash suggestion), that would make me happy.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: RollingBob.8502

RollingBob.8502

I really like it, on the right thief a pair of these would be pretty freddy krugerish.

But 100 bloods and 50 skill points??? The large class of already super-expensive exotics that take an eldritch scroll are way nicer overall. maybe if it dripped thick red blood or something.

Or here’s a thought, create a mystic forge tier of skins that doesn’t take a ton of mats. No need to add effects, just unique and original skins. This would have been a great intro for such a tier. Perhaps at a tenth of the cost in materials/points.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

Or here’s a thought, create a mystic forge tier of skins that doesn’t take a ton of mats. No need to add effects, just unique and original skins. This would have been a great intro for such a tier. Perhaps at a tenth of the cost in materials/points.

good idea going forward (too late for the reaper of souls though). they already have a few that would qualify like the Rusttooth, or slightly more expensive stuff like corrupted/destroyer skins.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I agree that its nice to have an increased variety of weapons, but its a bit pricey for something so plain. It could still have an effect such as the glint of sharp metal (not glittery), or maybe a spray of blood when you do a crit, or something like that.

It’s only pricy because it was just discovered.

Once time passes, it’ll be as cheap as the blood it takes to make it.

Maybe cheaper, in all honesty, as supply outweighs demand.

You may think that 100 Powerful Blood is cheap, but I have to disagree.

And it is still plain. Doesn’t matter how much the price comes down.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Buying 100 T6 blood is cheaper than 100g, where it was when I made that post, Djinn.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I think this thread is pretty good evidence that the value of skins is incredibly subjective. Sometimes a cool skin is going to be basic, gritty, realistic or plain. Other times a god’s hand come from the sky to hand you a universe tearing, light sparkling, night glowing mace that may not compel awe as much as it will force other around you to dance until the stubs of their bones beat a catchy cadence for your amusement.

Yup. The important thing is to just make sure that the people who want the grim and gritty skin can get that one, and those that want the God’s hand weapon can get that one, without either having to spend a fortune on the TP or wait for one in a million RNG to play out.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

I agree with the subjective value of skins. However, I don’t think anybody wants their character to be Disco Stu. Sometimes the developer’s sense of humor really gets in the way of immersion.

Posted by: Aether.2480

Aether.2480

if that reaper of souls is here to mention how much of a joke was the last diablo 3 extension this a a great success.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Why do people keep talking about the D3 expansion?

This skin have been in the game LONG before the expansion was even announced.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Well, imo this game needs a lot more of simple, realistic weapons. Right now we are an 80’s disco on some bad drugs.

Yeah, I mean where are the garden hoes, butcher knives, etc? Who wants cool looking, unrealistic weapons in a fantasy game? I want to spend lots of my fun time acquiring fake, everyday items! Give me realism in my fantasy world!

No, I actually agree with Yenrah. The game has WAY too much particle clutter. Weapons that serve as their own personal light show are not cool looking. They’re tacky, cartoonish, and lame.

A good elite weapon skin is one that is special, of course, but only in a way that is innate, attractive, and desirable on its own merits. The thing doesn’t need to be on fire or spewing out bright glow effects.

Is that to say that particles are a terrible thing? No. But there’s a general rule of thumb here. If particles drown out the details of the weapon itself, they need to be toned down. Fire effects are nice, but I should be able to see the blade (like for the Firebringer) instead of having the whole thing overshadowed by an over-the-top burn (Volcanus). A light effect should be subtle, but striking, like for the famous Sting from The Hobbit / The Lord of the Rings, rather than a complete eyesore, like for Sunrise.

Posted by: LunarNacht.8913

LunarNacht.8913

I agree with the subjective value of skins. However, I don’t think anybody wants their character to be Disco Stu. Sometimes the developer’s sense of humor really gets in the way of immersion.

mh… mhm…. points at Randulf at the first page

Posted by: Gimp.9460

Gimp.9460

Did I hear someone say [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker] ?

Particle effect slider would be ‘too confusing’

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Buy order pending. Finally something I can treat seriously, not some kind of freaky jewel.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: Taglor Anwamane.9468

Taglor Anwamane.9468

I’ve always been partial to the “Krytan” weapon skins. Seems to have a kind of Victorian style.

I love the Krytan weapon skins. On multiple occasions, I’ve transmuted level 80 exotics to their Krytan equivalents, and I’m not sorry in the least.
I also really like the white weapon skins for almost all of the weapons, because they just look…efficient.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Personally I love the Reaper of Souls on my Necromancer, but if I had a complaint it would be the crafting requirements: why does it (and Lidless Eye/Eye of Rodgort) use Powerful Blood, which is used for Berserker stats?

We have Ancient Bone. Ancient Bone is used in making Tome of the Rubicon and Endless Quiver, which are Rabid stats just like the Reaper of Souls, Lidless Eye, and Eye of Rodgort. It’s inconsistent and feels like it was only chosen to artificially keep supply of the dagger low by tying its crafting to one of the more expensive T6 mat on the market.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Personally I love the Reaper of Souls on my Necromancer, but if I had a complaint it would be the crafting requirements: why does it (and Lidless Eye/Eye of Rodgort) use Powerful Blood, which is used for Berserker stats?

We have Ancient Bone. Ancient Bone is used in making Tome of the Rubicon and Endless Quiver, which are Rabid stats just like the Reaper of Souls, Lidless Eye, and Eye of Rodgort. It’s inconsistent and feels like it was only chosen to artificially keep supply of the dagger low by tying its crafting to one of the more expensive T6 mat on the market.

I can see the argument that because of the stats, ancient bone would be a more logical choice but when these items were designed before launch along with their crafting, did ANet know that powerful blood would be one of the more expensive T6 mat on the market? I suspect they didn’t which means that keeping the dagger supply artificially low wasn’t their plan.

Pandaman.4758

I can see the argument that because of the stats, ancient bone would be a more logical choice but when these items were designed before launch along with their crafting, did ANet know that powerful blood would be one of the more expensive T6 mat on the market? I suspect they didn’t which means that keeping the dagger supply artificially low wasn’t their plan.

That’s true for Lidless Eye/Eye of Rodgort, but the recipe for the Reaper of Souls’ recipe is a recent addition, is it not? I find it hard to believe it would have existed two years ago without a single person finding out about it until the hints were given during this Halloween event.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

That’s true for Lidless Eye/Eye of Rodgort, but the recipe for the Reaper of Souls’ recipe is a recent addition, is it not? I find it hard to believe it would have existed two years ago without a single person finding out about it until the hints were given during this Halloween event.

Lethalvriend said in this thread he looked at that skin months ago and Konig Des Todes said it’s been in game 2 years, just never discovered. I was basing my comment on those 2 posts.

Posted by: Warkind.6745

Warkind.6745

The reaper just looks like the standard harvesting sickle.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I see mace and dance in the same sentence…

please make a new mace legendary, we beg you

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It’s not to my tastes, but I’m sure that some players will enjoy having it for the “Graaah, I am a psychotic sickle murderer!” theme. To each their own.

Pandaman.4758

Lethalvriend said in this thread he looked at that skin months ago and Konig Des Todes said it’s been in game 2 years, just never discovered. I was basing my comment on those 2 posts.

The model was used two years ago in a minigame (according to the wiki), but it wasn’t actually available to players until nine days ago. John Smith’s story/hint post starts with “Zommoros let me in on the fact that he expects to have an item he’s never had before to trade with tomorrow”, which I would argue is solid enough evidence that the recipe didn’t exist for the past two years.

Posted by: Sunreva.8714

Sunreva.8714

dagger does look nice

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Was the skin made to be intentionally plain and fugly or….?

Perhaps it’s to put off people buying it so that when Anet comes out with a new legendary that could require it, people will be all like ‘OMG why didn’t I get that fugly skin! I knew they were gonna make it a precursor!!’.

I could actually see it being a precursor for a GW2 legendary weapon version of the GW1 Dhuum’s Scythe Skin.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor