Thanks for being pretty, GW2!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

It might be a bit backhanded, but I was trying out another game, and the aesthetic was so poor and the frame rate so inexcusably bad, that I really came to appreciate how relatively well-tuned GW2 is. The character models look good (excluding the Charrmour problem! plx fix), many of the zones feel great to travel in, and many of the vista set pieces really give a sense of size for the world.

And it all runs great on my PC. So, hat-tip to the staff who did such a good job putting it all together.

(Now just fix the megaserver population size and stick in some persistent end-game content in there, and it’ll be cherry. Oh, and fix the kitten’d Charr armor. Seriously.)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Fully agreed. Also as a charr ele I’d like to wear something other than a sheet.

More ontopic- i turned on supersampling yesterday and it only dropped my fps to around 50-60 . I must say I was quite pleased at that discovery.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Fully agreed. Also as a charr ele I’d like to wear something other than a sheet.

More ontopic- i turned on supersampling yesterday and it only dropped my fps to around 50-60 . I must say I was quite pleased at that discovery.

Awesome. I have to wonder what your specs are like. I have mid-line settings for GW2, and it works just fine on my laptop, zergblobs excluded, and even then, I usually have enough to know what’s going on. (Except Karka Queen. Yeugh.)

I suppose my reason for the post is to vent a bit? I was all set to give the other game a chance, but it utterly failed to deliver. The regressed aesthetics don’t warrant such a high graphical requirement. Even WoW works on the basis of being available to as many systems as possible, and it still looks good (if dated) while doing it.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Shall I hazard a guess at Wild Star being the game you tried?

In which case I will agree with all points.

Dear god is that game visually atrocious.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

The cartooney-look…Yeah thats putting me off aswell,one of the major reasons im not even gonna bother,i seriously dislike that graphic style.Looks like a mix between WoW and that russian F2p game Allods.

Celestina.2894

The cartooney-look…Yeah thats putting me off aswell,one of the major reasons im not even gonna bother,i seriously dislike that graphic style.Looks like a mix between WoW and that russian F2p game Allods.

Funny thing is, normally a cartoony look doesn’t bother me.

But Jesus Christ, Wild Star dropped one hell of a ball with their cartoony look.

Not to mention customization is depressingly bare bones.

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

I tied out Wildstar last night and got to appreciate GW2 even more. Especially the Heart/DE mechanics. Wildstar’s back to the old ‘get a quest. do it, turn it in’ mentality.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Celestina.2894

I tied out Wildstar last night and got to appreciate GW2 even more. Especially the Heart/DE mechanics. Wildstar’s back to the old ‘get a quest. do it, turn it in’ mentality.

I struggled to get past the tutorial zone myself, not because it was difficult, just so dreadful in every way.

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

I agree with the aesthetics/performance ratio. GW2 runs really well now for what it looks like. One thing i really do want models wise is more “ugly/gritty” looking character models/faces. Its all to dollish imo in GW2 and lacks character due to that in some cases.

Wildstar has its own unique things it does really well. Dungeon mechanics for example are way more advanced and enjoyable than anything the anet team will ever produce in that area.

(edited by Locuz.2651)

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Love the character models and environment very much. For better or worse, how my character looks is 9/10ths of the law, so I’m hear 2 years (has it been 2 years already? almost?) later.

Now, if we could just get a Living World story where we ‘take back’ Orr and terraform it (I’m sure we could cobble something together with Asuran science and Charr engineering) so it’s nice, happy grass and farms and bandits and centaurs and bears, I’d be all set up.

Celestina.2894

Love the character models and environment very much. For better or worse, how my character looks is 9/10ths of the law, so I’m hear 2 years (has it been 2 years already? almost?) later.

Now, if we could just get a Living World story where we ‘take back’ Orr and terraform it (I’m sure we could cobble something together with Asuran science and Charr engineering) so it’s nice, happy grass and farms and bandits and centaurs and bears, I’d be all set up.

Will be 2 years in September, IIRC

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Funny thing is, normally a cartoony look doesn’t bother me.

But Jesus Christ, Wild Star dropped one hell of a ball with their cartoony look.

Not to mention customization is depressingly bare bones.

Been there, didn’t liked tho way to much redundant , Archage was fine until a certain point, still have some qualities over gw2 except artwork (Anet artwok imo was what saved this game).

Gw2 problems is map and system loads if that could be adressed and resolved they could make almost the perfect mmorpg, and even stop this random overflow spawn called megaserver.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.