Thanks, from an rper

Thanks, from an rper

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AxelFace.6728

AxelFace.6728

I would like to thank the guild wars devs for not thinking of us rpers.
This megaserver has not only torn apart the ease of rping with my entire guild, but has now halted the creation of a new one that was becoming very successful.

Not an anet issue: I logged in today to people actually complaining about being around rpers and as I offered a suggestion to it I was attacked and categorized. Well that was a great to see.

This is very upsetting and frustrating. Rping was a huge reason why I was still playing. After I play for a few more weeks, if this keeps up I’m just going to be leaving as will most of my rping community.

The cons:
-I can’t easily log in and see my guild members
-I CAN use party but why should I be going through a huge amount of effort to rp with my community
-Very little room for spontaneous rp with randoms

Here is some suggestions:
-Create an option where you can pick the ‘shard’ your put in
-An added option to pick a specific ‘rp’ shard
-Remove megaservers from main cities

(edited by AxelFace.6728)

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I’m with you. Though I was never a part of the roleplaying crowd, it was nice to see an active RPing community running around a map every once in awhile on TC. RPing was fun to watch, and I really dislike how it was basically destroyed in this patch.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

I love to RP, but I never knew that there was an RP server on this until recently. I was really interested in joining that community, but now it seems I can’t join that crowd. Sucks.

We’ll, I guess I’ll just stick to RPing with my close friends in private whispers then. :\

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: spritefire.5234

spritefire.5234

How about you roleplay the fact that universes have joined forces and go with that.
If you were a true rper you woudln’t be on the forums complaining, you’d be in the GW2 world going wtf just happened.. who are these people.. and continue on with your role play.

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

RPers are not generally accepted in most servers… normally during launch we had a couple of people logging in to Tarnish Coast just to harass RPers…

Now that there is a nice open gateway for trolls, yeah it’s just disgusting now. Thumbs up ANet, gg

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I logged in today to people actually complaining about being around rpers and as I offered a suggestion to it I was attacked and categorized. Well that was a great to see.

This sounds more like a community problem than an Anet problem.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I have the opposite feeling. I finally saw some roleplaying around me, vs the less than 0.0001% I was used to see on my server. At least now I can find roleplayers around, and I have yet to see stupid bullying against them (sorry that happened to you; you should have reported them for their immature, intolerant behavior.) To each their own, but I won’t ever see this change as “ANet not thinking about RPers”, but more as “ANet thinking about GW2.”

Take no offense, as none was meant.

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: Kozume.9035

Kozume.9035

I logged in today to people actually complaining about being around rpers and as I offered a suggestion to it I was attacked and categorized.

Didn’t realize parents let gradeschool students on this game. Seriously, who makes fun of people over RPing in a MMORPG? You’d have to be insanely immature.

That being said, why merge TC with anyone? The server was already putting people in overflow constantly.

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

I would like to thank the guild wars devs for not thinking of us rpers.
This megaserver has not only torn apart the ease of rping with my entire guild, but has now halted the creation of a new one that was becoming very successful.

I logged in today to people actually complaining about being around rpers and as I offered a suggestion to it I was attacked and categorized. Well that was a great to see.

This is very upsetting and frustrating. Rping was a huge reason why I was still playing. After I play for a few more weeks, if this keeps up I’m just going to be leaving as will most of my rping community.

Here is some suggestions:
-Create an option where you can pick the ‘shard’ your put in
-An added option to pick a specific ‘rp’ shard
-Remove megaservers from main cities

Are you aware that megaserver has not yet been release for Cities? it’s actually only in Hearth of the mist. I think it’s sad that some people would act rude towards you guys, I’m not a RP’er myself but I do enjoy watching and listening to you guys, I also like when I get a RP’er in my party after posting on LFG tool, I find it very entertaining.

I don’t think megaserver mean the end of Roleplaying, I hope you guys find a way to enjoy this side of the game while we do our stuff.

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: peppygrowlithe.5109

peppygrowlithe.5109

These seem reasonable. Setting an RP Flag or an RP Shard would help us out twofold: Let the RPers congregate with RPers, let the non-RPers not have their chats spammed with IC emotes.

If I RP in the Black Citadel now, it seems /rude/. I don’t want people entirely and utterly uninterested in RPing seeing my poses. It’s uncomfortable for all parties involved. We RPers are a minority, but any concession we can get to allow us to keep RPing will be a great, great boon.

Please allow us to appreciate your world in the way we’ve chosen!

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: medohgeuh.4650

medohgeuh.4650

Did I miss something? According to the patch notes megaserver is currently ONLY in EotM.

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: peppygrowlithe.5109

peppygrowlithe.5109

Are you aware that megaserver has not yet been release for Cities? it’s actually only in Hearth of the mist. I think it’s sad that some people would act rude towards you guys, I’m not a RP’er myself but I do enjoy watching and listening to you guys, I also like when I get a RP’er in my party after posting on LFG tool, I find it very entertaining.

It has been released for The Grove, Rata Sum, and the Black Citadel thus far.

But I appreciate your mentality nevertheless. We’re not trying to “shove RP down people’s throats”. We’re just trying to have fun in our own way. X)

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: Kalaster.9014

Kalaster.9014

I feel ya RP’ers, As a previous RP’er, i can only imagine your frustration :/

If it helps, try blocking general chat in the options for the time being, while RP’ing. Also, the Megaserver isn’t 100% implemented yet, so if the crowed of jerks gets too much, try moving to a new area in the world, the’re are alot of very nice villages and forts throughout Tyria.

I wish you all luck :-/

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I never did try visiting TC for its RP, but I can see where this update would be a problem. It’s a pity there was never an “official” roleplaying server; if EverQuest had the kind of advanced “Hey, RPers, you probably want to go here” technology back in the day, I’m not sure why it couldn’t get that bare minimum support.

It would be nice if people could mark themselves for roleplaying, just as they can mark themselves LFG (as an online status,) and then factor that in when picking zone instances. It would doubtless require a fair amount of work on the technical side, but it’s not logically undoable, and it’s a feature that caters to an audience that’s dedicated to the game almost by definition.

Community problems are also Anet problems, at least in this case. It’s not Anet’s fault that some people don’t like roleplayers, but it is their problem, because they want roleplayers and non-roleplayers to be enjoying the game.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

But I appreciate your mentality nevertheless. We’re not trying to “shove RP down people’s throats”. We’re just trying to have fun in our own way. X)

Oh I see thanks for the update :P, I think you guys are very sweet and I wish people would appreciate the thought you put into this. Also right now these cities might be full but I think it’s only because the megaserver was just release and those place are the only one affected, so people come to see, give it a month and it should be quieter.

Don’t give up because of a few frustrated folks, who can’t have fun, forgot what mmo*RP*g is all about!

Thanks, from an rper

Star Ace.5207

I never did try visiting TC for its RP, but I can see where this update would be a problem. It’s a pity there was never an “official” roleplaying server; if EverQuest had the kind of advanced “Hey, RPers, you probably want to go here” technology back in the day, I’m not sure why it couldn’t get that bare minimum support.

It would be nice if people could mark themselves for roleplaying, just as they can mark themselves LFG (as an online status,) and then factor that in when picking zone instances. It would doubtless require a fair amount of work on the technical side, but it’s not logically undoable, and it’s a feature that caters to an audience that’s dedicated to the game almost by definition.

Community problems are also Anet problems, at least in this case. It’s not Anet’s fault that some people don’t like roleplayers, but it is their problem, because they want roleplayers and non-roleplayers to be enjoying the game.

Impossible to control jerks-what keeps them at check is this game’s harsher than usual moderation (as it should be), as well as it’s cooperative rather than competitive nature (keeping many others would be bullies at bay, playing something else.) It’s not ANet’s fault, for instance, that people have bizarre, irrational biases against this or that player (casual vs hardcore, RPer vs whatever, etc.)

I also don’t understand why they can’t just coexist. No one should be ashamed of emoting whatever. It’s not anyone’s business, but just the way you enjoy the game. I would be the first to defend any roleplayer being bullied in game chat, and will happily report idiots like that for their lack of consideration and offensive language, if that was ever the case. Play your way, and don’t mind anyone-you are not “disrespecting” others by enjoying GW2 in a way that doesn’t offend anyone at all, and emotes are not necessarily offensive, nor must it be to roleplay.

As I said in a similar, older discussion-no one can stop a roleplayer from roleplaying; not the game, the graphics, the lack of emotes, the community, megaservers, trolls, or anything else, save but maybe himself/herself.

To be honest, as far as bullies go, just enjoy the game, play YOUR way, and “eff ’em” (my apologies if I seem rude, but those kind of people deserve no leniency and are actually not the kind of players who ANet or the community really would want around.)

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Where does it say it’s been released for those zones? Just curious.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

To me it’s sort of like the furry/MLP stuffs… I don’t mind it as long as it’s not being shoved in my face. I’ll even ignore it when it is in “earshot” of the TP etc., but I don’t expect other players to not have a bit of fun of their own when it is. That doesn’t mean I think they should ever be downright mean though.

That being said, I shall greatly miss finding amazing RP stuff like this on a regular basis on TC. Please fix immediately.

Attachments:

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

They said its not in cities and big population maps so whatever you are seeing, it’s not from the new Megaservers, unless you are role playing out on previously deserted maps.

in this thread here
Samuel Loretan
Next
Hey everyone!
I’m very glad and excited with your overwhelming responses regarding the MegaServer system. We are still working on establishing the best roll-out plan for this feature. I’d like to provide you with an update on our plans. It was announced on the blog post that we planned to start with the PvP Lobby, the level1 to 15 maps, as well as the cities. As MegaServers evolved into a finished product, we have changed our initial roll-out plan.

We are now planning on releasing the system starting with the PvP lobby and low population maps, and incrementally moving onto the maps with high populations.

With this approach, the behavior on level 1 to 15 maps won’t change until we’ve seen the positive confirmation from the community as well as from our metrics that MegaServer is working as expected on lower population maps.
MegaServer is a complex system, so we will be closely monitoring its deployment. We will make adjustments to our plan in accordance with the results of the roll-out. Our Quality Assurance team have performed a great job in doing an extensive testing of the game under this new paradigm, but nothing can stress out a system like a huge amount of players rushing through Tyria to rediscover the world with fellow adventurers. Which is why we’re extremely careful about that.
Please keep voicing your questions and remarks about MegaServers! We’re excited to bring out this new way of fostering our game community, and your comments are greatly helpful in doing so.
See you in Tyria!
— Samuel

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: draconx.3102

draconx.3102

Nowhere in the text you quoted does it say that cities are excluded from the megaserver system.

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I am curious how people know the MegaServer has been implemented in cities, contrary to the Patch Notes. Is there some kind of notice on the map or something? I’d like to know when I am in a MegaServer-implemented map, so I can give the proper feedback.

Per the Patch Notes:

This new system will first be enabled in the Heart of the Mists and then progressively rolled out to the rest of the open world, starting with the less populated areas.

The order as well as the speed of the rollout may differ from what was previously announced in the original blog post, as we are adjusting our plans after further testing. It might continue to evolve during the process as we collect data and adjust accordingly.

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: TFMurphy.5136

TFMurphy.5136

And nowhere does it give a timeframe for when the rollout will occur. Three of the cities are already on Megaservers (easily verifiable via contested waypoints and LFG panel), as are a handful of maps (Timberline Falls, Field of Ruins, Southsun Cove and Straits of Devastation for sure).

Whatever was said in patch notes or forum threads earlier really cannot override what people are seeing in-game.

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: Trey.2135

Trey.2135

You broke character, Axelface. I’m not buying it.

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Cities have contestable waypoints??? Wow, that’s new!

Thanks, from an rper

Star Ace.5207

I have no qualms about the megaserver, but indeed it’s impossible that Anvil Rock can even have a “populated” Black Citadel-no way, no how. Whatever the notes are , in fact the megaserver was already implemented at many other places for sure (in fact, Black Citadel is the perfect map candidate for their “low population maps” qualification.)

It’s a good preview from my point of view, though.

Thanks, from an rper

Posted by: TFMurphy.5136

TFMurphy.5136

Cities don’t. But there is a distinct difference in what waypoints are marked contested when you’re in a Megaserver zone.

And, as I said, LFG can easily tell too.