That guy

That guy

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

You are in the kitchen making a cup of coffee with your character standing idle in a safe spot. You start to hear combat noises from your PC and come back to observe that guy dragging a mob next to your character so it starts killing you. You faceplam, kill the mob and watch the scoundrel move on as if he was totally innocent.

I hate that guy.

That guy

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

; <

Attachments:

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

That guy

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

You are in the kitchen making a cup of coffee with your character standing idle in a safe spot. You start to hear combat noises from your PC and come back to observe that guy dragging a mob next to your character so it starts killing you. You faceplam, kill the mob and watch the scoundrel move on as if he was totally innocent.

I hate that guy.

So you know he can be reported for griefing and receive an account suspension for that.

That guy

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I hate that guy.

“That guy” is doing so because he thinks you’re AFK and therefore scaling stuff or an event leecher.

That guy

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

^^^^^^^^ +1

That guy

Solomon Darkfury.3729

I hate that guy.

“That guy” is doing so because he thinks you’re AFK and therefore scaling stuff or an event leecher.

Still a violation of the tos…

That guy

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Sounds to me like you went AFK in a dangerous place. There is a lesson there for you. ;p

That guy

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Sounds to me like you went AFK in a dangerous place. There is a lesson there for you. ;p

No… he went afk briefly in a safe place and some trolly kitten pulled a mob on him…

That guy

Posted by: Rooms Of Ruin.1965

Rooms Of Ruin.1965

I hate “that guy” who afks by nodes (or anywhere else in the open world), then complains about dragged mobs. I guess we should tailor our node farms to 3 iron ingots an hour to spend more time killing every little level 5 creature to accommodate what should be done in town.

That guy

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

No… he went afk briefly in a safe place and some trolly kitten pulled a mob on him…

Well, clearly it wasn’t a safe place. Unless you were there you have no way to know whether “that guy” was griefing or was running away from a mob. And if you were there, you must have been that guy. These are dangerous times, my friend. Be careful out there.

That guy

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Well, clearly it wasn’t a safe place. Unless you were there you have no way to know whether “that guy” was griefing or was running away from a mob. And if you were there, you must have been that guy. These are dangerous times, my friend. Be careful out there.

No… I’ve just had this happen to me before when going to the bathroom. People do this to troll end of story. Also any veteran can easily tell the difference between a safe and not safe place on any map in this game. I can tell you many safe spots in all the Maguuma zones…

That guy

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Ah, back before Evon Gnashblade was so generous, you could find players dragging mobs to AFKers, just to watch them die, res them, then iterate until the AFKer was naked.
I’unno, maybe it still happens.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

That guy

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Ah…more solid reinforcement of why I hate people.

Let me grab some popcorn….

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

That guy

Posted by: Rooms Of Ruin.1965

Rooms Of Ruin.1965

read point 1…

“This includes posting insulting, offensive, or abusive comments about players, repeatedly sending unwanted messages, reporting players maliciously, attacking a player based on race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc.”

This has absolutely nothing to do with someone getting killed standing around afk. The enemies in the open world exist for the SOLE PURPOSE of killing people. How they reach their target makes no difference, whether by accident or on purpose. Go report the devs who coded the AI I guess.

Let me solve this problem for you since it eludes you:

1. Hit I, double click on your HoM portal stone, go make your tea.
2. Click the PVP icon, go to HOTM, go make tea.
3. Click M, WP to the town of your choice, go make your tea

or alternatively you can:

1. Stand around in the hostile world where people are actually playing, get caught by a stray mob, die, waste devs time with senseless reporting, go complain on the forums…

That guy

Posted by: Barinthus.8347

Barinthus.8347

How do you know the player in the question was griefing? It’s plausible he decided to fight a mob and it’s too much for him and he happen to see this other toon nearby; decided to run over hoping to get some help?

Seeking Deaf Players. People who don’t use voice software welcome too!

That guy

Posted by: smiling.9028

smiling.9028

A veteran of this game can turn the table on “that guy” fairly easily by just grabbing every mob nearby and fighting them right on top of him, once he’s downed just run away

That guy

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

I typically don’t stop to fight mobs so I often end up with a train of mobs chasing behind me. If I get too far away, the mob will lose interest and attack the next closest thing which may be an afk player. I do not know who is afk or not so I go about my business and don’t worry about what path I take as I go along. If someone wants to afk they need to choose a safe location. A safe location is not one that just happens to be mob free at that moment. A safe location is one that mobs simply can’t get to (cliffside, a town, static camp surrounded by tons of NPCs).

That guy

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

I hate that guy.

Still a violation of the tos…

In what way?

That guy

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

read point 1…

“This includes posting insulting, offensive, or abusive comments about players, repeatedly sending unwanted messages, reporting players maliciously, attacking a player based on race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc.”

This has absolutely nothing to do with someone getting killed standing around afk. The enemies in the open world exist for the SOLE PURPOSE of killing people. How they reach their target makes no difference, whether by accident or on purpose. Go report the devs who coded the AI I guess.

1. Stand around in the hostile world where people are actually playing, get caught by a stray mob, die, waste devs time with senseless reporting, go complain on the forums…

Don’t forget you can also open up the guild tab and go to the guild hall (assuming your guild has a guild hall) and afk there for days without worry. As well as the PvP lobby, or WvW. Why you would want to afk in the open world is beyond me…

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

That guy

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

read point 1…

Don’t forget you can also open up the guild tab and go to the guild hall (assuming your guild has a guild hall) and afk there for days without worry. As well as the PvP lobby, or WvW. Why you would want to afk in the open world is beyond me

Losing progress on the tier you are working on just because you need to afk for a couple of moments to get a drink or stretch your legs or whatever, but don’t want to WP far away and then have to run back?

That strikes me as a reason to afk in the open world, somewhere that looks safe and would be if another person didn’t pull mobs to you.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

That guy

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

I usually find a place off the beaten path if I need to afk, or I port to the start WP if it’s gonna be a while. Not hard to find safe places generally, ones where even intentional pulls probably wont make it before the mob is tethered.

Sometimes if I’m running around n I notice someone apparently afk in my path, ill stop n kill the mobs chasing me then move on lol.

That guy

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I love that guy.

It’s like a loot delivery service.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

That guy

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

Ive been ‘that guy’

Im sorry – but I just wanted to let you know I really was running for my life, it wasn’t personal

Ive also been that guy that backs way from the pack of killer whatevers only to agro the bigger pack of Vets I hadn’t seen behind me, that then kill both of us.

Maguuma really is a terrible pace to try and take in the view and chill for abit.

That guy

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Sometimes I accidentally start to be that guy because I’m running past mobs and then I realize that I’m going to be that guy, guilt overtakes me, and I stop to kill the mobs that are on the guy, even if it kills me in the process (which it doesn’t, cause I’m too pro, lololol).

I wish there was a way to like glance at somebody’s keyboard and see if they’re AFK, cause what I hate is when I rez somebody who turns out to be AFK and there’s that moment where “I’m going to help somebody!” turns into “I just set somebody up to get killed again while they’re AFK….”

But it’s not always the case, so I usually rez people anyway. #TeamRez

Or words to that effect.

That guy

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Just to be clear, are we talking about one specific person and not naming them, or saying ‘that guy’ like in that Episode of Friends where they say “I hate that guy?”

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

That guy

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Just to be clear, are we talking about one specific person and not naming them, or saying ‘that guy’ like in that Episode of Friends where they say “I hate that guy?”

It’s only one specific person.

You know.

That guy.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

That guy

Posted by: AegisRunestone.8672

AegisRunestone.8672

How do you know the player in the question was griefing? It’s plausible he decided to fight a mob and it’s too much for him and he happen to see this other toon nearby; decided to run over hoping to get some help?

This.

Also, what if that guy was actually a girl? :P

That guy

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

Dying in GW2 is not the end of the world…

OMG…

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

That guy

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Sometimes birds poop on my car after I just wash it too.

That guy

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

I wish CJ would afk so we could mob him, but it sOOOOOOOOO obvious he doesn’t even play the game.

That guy

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I hate that guy.

Then it wasn’t a “safe spot” — just a less dangerous spot.
(Still, ‘that guy’ was a jerk and there’s a spot in the fifth circle of hell, reserved for this sort of thing. Well, for those who believe in hell.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

That guy

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

Some of “That Guy” are trolls, some are rude, and some are simply oblivious. I try not to be any of those “That Guy”s.
If I’m running through an area (gathering, exploring or whatever) I keep track of whether I have developed a “train” of mobs or not. You can bind a key to look behind you, which makes it a lot easier. If I’m pulling a train past someone, I make sure that they don’t aggro any of the mobs in the train. And if I’m pulling towards someone who happens to be in my path, I about-face(there’s a key bind for this as well) and kill all the mobs before they get to that person ahead of us. It doesn’t matter whether they’re AFK or not, it’s a matter of courtesy.(And sometimes it’s hard to tell if someone is AFK, anyway.) I’ve also had players attack and kill mobs in my train.(Perhaps to help me, perhaps thinking I’m oblivious and trying to help the hapless players I might drag my train onto.) In this case I turn and help them kill the mobs. Because I really don’t want to be any type or form of “That Guy”.

That guy

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Some of “That Guy” are trolls, some are rude, and some are simply oblivious. I try not to be any of those “That Guy”s.
If I’m running through an area (gathering, exploring or whatever) I keep track of whether I have developed a “train” of mobs or not. You can bind a key to look behind you, which makes it a lot easier. If I’m pulling a train past someone, I make sure that they don’t aggro any of the mobs in the train. And if I’m pulling towards someone who happens to be in my path, I about-face(there’s a key bind for this as well) and kill all the mobs before they get to that person ahead of us. It doesn’t matter whether they’re AFK or not, it’s a matter of courtesy.(And sometimes it’s hard to tell if someone is AFK, anyway.) I’ve also had players attack and kill mobs in my train.(Perhaps to help me, perhaps thinking I’m oblivious and trying to help the hapless players I might drag my train onto.) In this case I turn and help them kill the mobs. Because I really don’t want to be any type or form of “That Guy”.

1. I will look into that about-face button! Thanks for the tip.
  2. Thanks for reaffirming the good. I often help drag mobs off of other players if I see them training or getting low on HP.
Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

That guy

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Dying in GW2 is not the end of the world…

OMG…

I don’t believe the OP stated or even implied that he thought it was the end of the world.

Just making a fairly light-hearted statement expressing his frustration at people who go out of their way to try and get AFK people killed.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

That guy

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Went down in an event in VB this morning. Two guys running up the path attacked my dead body and moved on. This is the kind of people we play with.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

That guy

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: Two guys running up the path attacked my dead body and moved on. – Let me guess, they were max-size Charr or Norn, with gigantic swords, wore armor covered in 18" spikes, horns, etc… Their armor was deep black and/or blood red, and they had names like “Lord Blood Rage”.
There are many, many players under the age specified in the EULA, their parents don’t read or don’t care. They pull the entire game down, and we have to deal with them, and their immaturity. Because there’s really no way for Anet to enforce the age restriction.

That guy

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

It wasn’t me.
/really it wasn’t me 15chars.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

That guy

Posted by: slamb.4781

slamb.4781

Someone please give “That Guy” a cookie!

Sir Kitty Litter
[QOP] Quaggan Op – Guild Leader

That guy

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

It wasn’t me.
/really it wasn’t me 15chars.

Now I have that song by Shaggy stuck in my head.

Or words to that effect.

That guy

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

When I’m waiting for an event to pop. I’m not moving around like a hyperactive 8 year old on a box of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs, I’m standing still. I’m checking my TP bids and purchases, sorting my inventory, reading the forums, etc. I’m not AFK for the event I’m biding time.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

That guy

Posted by: Leohart.4610

Leohart.4610

Lmfao some people speaking as if this is a real problem. That was kittening hilarious. Honestly, I’d do this if I was bored out of my mind.

That guy

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

I hate that guy.

So you know he can be reported for griefing and receive an account suspension for that.

Rofl! Gooood luck with that.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user