Thaumanova Reactor - Now's The Time!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Blackmoon.6837

Blackmoon.6837

Okay, ArenaNet. . . I voted for this fractal only because of the opportunity for something fresh in fantasy lore. Gods are redundant in our history of myths and legends. It’s time to move on and explore the unknown!

Isn’t your whole motivation to “innovate” the way MMO’s work? Well, you’ve got a chance to innovate the story aspect as well.

So, good luck!

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

I voted for Kiel too, but GW gods are far from being similar to myths and legends, this is why I like them
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Six_Human_Gods

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

I am somewhat happy the Abaddon fractal isn’t chosen, now the Gods are still this legendary, ancient power.

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Posted by: ThirtyOne.3976

ThirtyOne.3976

Evon voter here; I’ll remain as civil as possible whilst posting during this frustrating time.

As a fan of ArenaNet, I have near no doubt in my mind they will do a impressive job with the Thaumanova Fractal but the Abaddon Fractal could have been SO MUCH MORE. I’ll attempt to explain why shortly after this point.

There are a number of theories as to why Kiel or Evon were favored to win, be it the clearly populous friendly waypoint costs from Kiel, the imminent BLTC tax increase (if) now Evon lost, the ‘saintly’ hero Ellen or the dastardly fat cat Gnashblade, as the ordeal is over, I’m not willing to entertain them, but I am willing to think that not all players knew the whole political agenda and manifesto of each candidate, and through that, a bad (in my own and assuredly many others opinion) decision has been made.

Now that’s out of the way – innovation; both prospective fractals seemingly had equal amounts of, but that is not the case if I may say – yes we know the outcome of both events, we’ve been to the locations where the events took place and seen the aftermath first hand, yet we could do with experiencing exactly how they came to be rather than told by a third party. With everything stated it seems equal right? No; quite simply, it’s not.

The Thaumanova Reactor incident happened fairly recently in terms of the lore, the Asura (and even us ourselves!) have already launched expeditions into the site and if they are as smart as they believe, I’m sure they have a near full account as to what exactly happened within the structure, yet, the Fall of Abaddon, happened in a place which we know nothing of what has happened to it, for at least 250 years, furthermore, the premise of where the fractal would have been set suggests in happened in a time which no one but the developers have even seen, in addition to which in the events that transpired, turned a sea into a desert, who can say they’ve seen that happen?

The architecture also has a prominent tie to innovation, we’ve all become very acquainted with Asuran architecture, the giant floating cubes bound by magic, the illumination from the magical energies creating a mystical feel, heck, we know how big the reactor is, we’ve been there, but, what about the Mouth of Torment prior to the Fall of Abaddon, he would have had followers, maybe they would have had unique homes, maybe he only had Margonite followers close to him and they spawned out of ( now truly :[ ) incomprehensible magical aether of which surrounds the god and looks truly terrifying to the small seemingly insignificant player?

What about the new enemies and allies we could face or fight, sure, we might see a Grand Magister of the Inquest do a unique (and probably annoying) mechanic amongst a number of his already troublesome peers, or some snotty stuck up Asura telling us we’re somehow doing something we know works well wrong, and that for missing a chance to interact with races we haven’t fought for a long time such as the Margonites, the once enemy now allied Forgotten, we could have even talked to the five Gods first hand or see the full power of Abaddon before his incarceration.

What about being at the event itself at the time too, we could embody the Inquest seeing what they did wrong which caused the catastrophe or be a sect of anti-Inquest adventures attempting to stop what will be a(nother) Asuran disaster, compared to fighting as the Gods chosen against Margonites and Abaddon or even be the Five Gods themselves (see how that perfectly fit into a party dynamic?) assuming archetypal roles which a number of people still wish to see how ArenaNet could integrate it into GW2?

There is little truly innovative with this Thaumanova Fractal, I know ArenaNet will make it spectacular , but it will be nothing compared to that of which the Fall of Abaddon could have been.

Save my heart tomorrow.

(edited by ThirtyOne.3976)

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

abbadon fractal wouldve been crap. Ellen ftw.

Posted by: The Ace.9105

The Ace.9105

Do you really think that this fractal will be amazing? Developers have all the textures and items they want to put in that fractal already and that fractal is easy to design because of that. We are getting the same garbage that we have already. This time there is just story behind that garbage. That thing which changed the world permanently comes straight from half life and that asura lab has copied the idea from that game. That’s why they said it changed the world cause it fits the story. The world didn’t really change or are you seeing some changes right now like some corruption or something other than risen, no you aren’t cause there were really no events that changed the world. It is just because of half life story. :/

Final boss of that fractal will propably be some inguest commander or something like we saw in aetherblade dungeon (instead of abyssal god, bigger than zhaitan).

You voted for kiel just because you wanted to have something fresh? ? ? We have like 9001 inguest laboratories in tyria. How is that new and fresh? ? ?

I am just disapointed how ppl think that story is better than gameplay.

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

You voted for kiel just because you wanted to have something fresh? ? ? We have like 9001 inguest laboratories in tyria. How is that new and fresh? ? ?

I am just disapointed how ppl think that story is better than gameplay.

Abbadon would have been the story fractal trying to ram everything, events and elaborate setpieces into 15 minutes.

For the reactor at least they’re free to do what they want, not waste time making new setpieces, and make any kind of gameplay experience they can imagine. You’re completely opposite on that.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I play Asura, the Reactor was something i always wondered about, Abaddon not so much, i’ll leave that to the Bookahs

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Witchcraft! Ellen is a witch. She has cast her gaze upon the populace like a TrueBlood vampyre glamouring it’s snack . She will stab us in the back. Mark my words. The Lich fooled us too! It’s sooooooo easy.

Evon, time to hire an 8man sniper team. Target? The entire council.

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

I play Asura, the Reactor was something i always wondered about, Abaddon not so much, i’ll leave that to the Bookahs

nicely said. (asura fan here!)

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

abbadon fractal wouldve been crap. Ellen ftw.

With the ability to look into the future you should play the lottery.

Posted by: nymph.1658

nymph.1658

(instead of abyssal god, bigger than zhaitan).

I agree with most of your comment, except this. Abaddon as we saw him at the end of gw1 is not the same thing. He became this huge, enraged creature after spending an eternity in the realm of torment. So he probably would have been normal size. There were also murals in Elona where you could see him when he was a god.
But yes, would have been really nice to see something new rather than the same inquest/asura architecture. I’m so disappointed that Ellen won just because of the stupid WP costs. But it’s a game after all.

[to] – Original Dudes

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Okay, ArenaNet. . . I voted for this fractal only because of the opportunity for something fresh in fantasy lore. Gods are redundant in our history of myths and legends. It’s time to move on and explore the unknown!

Isn’t your whole motivation to “innovate” the way MMO’s work? Well, you’ve got a chance to innovate the story aspect as well.

So, good luck!

If I wanted CoE v2, I would play CoE.

We don’t have a God fractal or dungeon.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

I was hoping for either Abaddon or Thaumanova, so I suppose I’m happy with the results.

Both fractals had incredible potential. Abaddon would’ve likely been a fight in Arah between Margonites and the player characters. I doubt we would have truly seen a God as the gods hid themselves in Arah on purpose for a reason. So making a character model for Abaddon or Dwayna or Melandru or whatnot would likely not have happened.

We already have textures for the Thaumanova reactor? Sure, but we also already have stuff for Abaddon. We have Arah already built, they just need to sweep away the time and voila there’s pristine Arah. Thaumanova is similar, they have the reactor/city built, all they need to do is clean it up and boom we’ve got Thaumanova. The primary thing that is interesting in both of these fractals is learning what happened first-hand.

In Abaddon, we would’ve seen the state of Orr and Arah at the time of Abaddon’s departure, which would’ve lent more insight into how Orrian society was before the Cataclysm. This is similar to seeing Ascalon before the Searing, something we see in both GW1 and in the Urban Battlegrounds fractal.
In Thaumanova, we will likely see not only the workings of the Inquest like at the Crucible of Eternity, but also the effects of Chaos radiation and the explosion itself. Note that there is a difference between nuclear radiation and a nuclear explosion. Thaumanova as it is currently is fairly stable, although still ripe with chaos energy. To see how chaos energy reproduced in the Mists works (which has not happened before), it will surely be quite interesting. I’m sure we’ll get more than “CoE v2”, or even “Uncategorized Fractal v2”; we’ll get an entirely new idea. The primary aspect here is the chaos energy, which not even the asura understand completely.

Posted by: Backward Sass.6791

Backward Sass.6791

I’m Asura it will be good content.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

So, good luck!

Yeah add more lore that will never be fully explained!

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

So, good luck!

It’s Inquest. It’s always been Inquest.

There’s no mystery to it. Even Collin said that Thaumanova was the predecessor to the Infinity Coil reactor that the Crucible of Eternity dungeon is located in:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/colin-johanson-talks-dungeons-dragons-and-chairs

Colin Johanson

Well, I can say that the reactor was the first prototype of the Inquest attempt to build something. Somewhat similar to what players find in the Crucible of Eternity later in the game. And the location where the Thaumanova Reactor was at one point in time exploded and destroyed what was once a research lab

Speak to NPC’s around the current reactor, they all say this was an Inquest facility.

Mark my words this is not going to break any new ground. All that will be in the Thaumanova reactor fractal is the inquest harnessing Dragon Energy, like they do in crucible of eternity.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Maybe you should have talked to the NPC’s around the reactor. They tell you it was Inquest

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

we dont know what happened to make it explode, they hard trouble with chaos energy okay yeah we know that much, we do know they capture ED minions to get the energy from, they currently have a DSD minion in the Infinity coil so im hoping we get to see one or two of these break loose in the fractal

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Keep in mind that they are building this fractal from scratch and likely didn’t start any actual work on it until after the results came in. (So as not to duplicate work) It may take some time. Personally, I don’t expect to see it until much closer to the end of the year, and I’m good with that. Let them take their time and give us something spectacular!

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.