The BIG question for Arenanet

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

WHAT ARE YOU PLANNING TO DO WITH THIS GAME? seriously, all we are seeing are minimal and a bunch of times meaningless content. this isnt a hate thread, i am asking a very serious question. stop beating around the bush and let your fans know what EXACTLY you guys are planning to do, and we expect to see big content SOON…..veryyyy soon.

Yes the bosses are harder, yes the dungeons are harder, yes we can have loads of fun customizing our characters, but we need to see actual and i mean actual content. try to understand that the small stuff can only get someone so far, we need big content as well.

and in PVP…..we like the new pvp mode you guys added, it was cool, but….what about wvw? you guys dont realize that as much as you add to it, wvw has NO actual technique….its just go and kill stuff with a zerg. i enjoy a lot of your content and the fact that you can go into a vast world and do free-for-all pvp is really nice, but you guys need to understand, you lack a lot of necessary things.

as weird as it sounds, players need to feel that what they are spending their time on is meaningful….and no its not from the rewards they get. try to think about it in a more in-depth psychological way. for example, when one plays a game, what do they want to accomplish? its a fantasy mmorpg with pvp…..wouldnt the main attraction be some kind of goal where a player can achieve a fantasy stature and feel grandiose. a player needs MORE individuality in this game. one needs to be able to stand out and feel accomplished, and to be honest leaderboards are just leaderboards….LOL. they are just things for recognition, but not individuality.

think more of the individual need instead of the basic things, look more into the core and stop scratching the surface of what it means to play a fantasy virtual world ^^.

Adry.7512

One doesnt go into a virtual fantasy world to accomplish minimal or meaningless things/tasks. We want to accomplish what would be impossible in real life.

Posted by: Numu Boltar.6105

Numu Boltar.6105

@Adry nice summary of my thoughts.

Posted by: Vespero.6180

Vespero.6180

WHAT ARE YOU PLANNING TO DO WITH THIS GAME????

Are you sure you want to know it? you would be disappointed…
Would you play a game where you don’t enjoy anything anymore, knowing that it will be the same for at least 3 years?

Posted by: Cloudwalkernz.1328

Cloudwalkernz.1328

I think it is fair to say Anet haven’t decided what the next step is.

First, they have just launched in China. It is unlikely Anet will want to make any moves until they know how that plan out.

Second, it is clear Anet haven’t decided on how contents should be deliver either by Living stories format, an expansion, or a combination thereof.

Third, even if Anet have plans they are unlikely to make them public so soon after the China release. Say another 3 months we may hear some from Anet.

(edited by Cloudwalkernz.1328)

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Third, even if Anet have plans they are unlikely to make them public so soon after the China release. Say another 3 months we may hear some from Anet.

They’ve said we’ll know before the end of the Festival.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Very nice thread. In fact, one of the best ones I’ve seen in a LONG time. For once, I didn’t have to read a phone book’s worth of text to read something that puts things into a nice perspective. Thanks for the read, Adry.

I 100% agree with your mindset. This game truly does need more meaningful content— we need ways to feel like our contribution to group efforts actually matter! We need ways to feel like we’ve achieved something!

Posted by: XApocalypse.8739

XApocalypse.8739

Guild wars is a beautiful amazing game well worth the price, but i think that the end game is seriously lacking, i am thinking the game really needs a big expansion. These small updates really aren’t enough they only keep people entertained for about a week and then everyone complains about the content, for wvw they should add special armor sets and weapons that people can work towards to get, same for pvp it would be nice to get new ones at least every season.

Posted by: Angangseh.3754

Angangseh.3754

Guild wars is a beautiful amazing game well worth the price, but i think that the end game is seriously lacking, i am thinking the game really needs a big expansion. These small updates really aren’t enough they only keep people entertained for about a week and then everyone complains about the content, for wvw they should add special armor sets and weapons that people can work towards to get, same for pvp it would be nice to get new ones at least every season.

When do we for example get Elona or Cantha?

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Guild Wars 2 now ist more or less just Guild Wars 2 at release.

That is OK, if you buy the game now, it is still a fun little game. This would be OK for any single player title. And that is how I see GW2. A title, I can log back in, like in other single player RPGs, after I finished the story, doing a side quest here and there and log out.

The LS and the temporary events have hardly been worth the time, in regards to their quality compared to the original game. Some sub-par content “updates”, mostly fire and forget.

In the end, GW2 is a MMO, that tries so hard not being one, that it feels as stale as a single player RPG, after you have finished the main story. Just without all the cool stuff, single player games have, like things actually get destroyed while you are on a mission, and not you just arriving after things are destroyed (like LS in LA).

Potential? Yes. But after close to two years not using this potential, hope is on diminishing returns.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Always find it interesting when people start talking about expansion for Elona and/or Cantha when we don’t even have all of Tyria open and explored yet.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Always find it interesting when people start talking about expansion for Elona and/or Cantha when we don’t even have all of Tyria open and explored yet.

Not to mention there is no point whatsoever to go to Elona or start a fight with Cantha.

Well, they’ve said most of the content this time around will be permanent, not to mention they’ve hired an AI consultant, so here’s to hoping.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Would you play a game where you don’t enjoy anything anymore, knowing that it will be the same for at least 3 years?

Nope, but an honest answer is always appreciated.

Taking a break until they come up with something. And by something I hope an expansion.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

(edited by hedix.1986)

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Nope, but an honest answer is always appreciated.

Taking a break until they come up with something. And by something I hope an expansion.

If we start seeing gem sales falling, they probably will think of an expansion, or at least a huge patch to draw people back again. So I hope we that soon.

Posted by: Cloudwalkernz.1328

Cloudwalkernz.1328

Source?

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Source?

It’s from a Massively article:

We’ve heard that the Chinese and US/EU versions of GW2 will be receiving concurrent updates, so can players expect a break in between Festival of the Four Winds and the start of season two to let the Chinese community members get their feet under them?

Zadorojny: The big thing about this festival is that we wanted to really make it feel like it was a huge welcoming celebration but at the same time that it was something that existing Guild Wars 2 players could come back and take the time to enjoy. It’s a chance for everyone to come together and celebrate before we launch into the start of Season 2. Don’t worry; by the end of the festival, you’ll hear more about Season 2.

Waller: Our focus right now is having a great release with Festival of the Four Winds, and hopefully people will enjoy both the Labyrinthine Cliffs and the Queen’s Pavilion. While they’re enjoying that, they should know that before the release is over there will be more information that will make it clear about what’s coming. As a fun note, players who have been carefully watching the progress of the “Festival of the Four Winds” release will be able to find hints that might tease at living world season 2.

Source

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

If you guys looked around some and stopped being narrowminded, you’d know what the rough and general plan is for the next coming of things. That have over 300 people working on their game. There is most definitely things coming. Also, we’ve known for a long time now that they are splitting up development to be “Living Story Season, Break, Feature Pack, Break (maybe some Festival here and there like now), LS, Break, etc” You see the pattern?! Most companies take 6 months to a year to bring out ANYTHING at all. And when they do drop a new expansion/content update people consume it like ravenous wolves. Pace yourself, do something else (even play a different game as you obviously aren’t missing anything if you are this whiny about lack of updates) for awhile and you will barely notice the lack of “content” as you say. I for one was glad for the break form LS to catch up on some other goals.

For the record, there is no reason not to do something else for awhile if you are upset or frustrated, or even just bored. There is no reason to limit yourself to one game only, this isn’t “The MMO That Shalt Not Be Named” and taking a break isn’t going to set you back. and if you WANT to play GW2, there are many things in the interim for you to work on I am sure. I don’t see your name (OP) on the AP leaderboards. So, obviously you have stuff you can work on. =)

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

(edited by Paradox.1380)

Adry.7512

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really like this game and I would like to see it expand deeper into a more meaningful road. Im sure we all feel the same, right now I doubt that our opinions and posts wont matter since this is a company that listens to their fans, lets hope they maintain that custom.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

thank you it was a nice post- unfortunately I agree.
Not only does GW2 seriously lack content but the MS makes the introduction of any content a complete moot point.
Until issues are addressed and Anet gets their act together new content is just a distraction imo

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

This game will be taken in the direction that is best for China, every update from now until the game is done with will be done with China in mind, if it does not work there, it will never be put into the game, you can be the most hardcore fan of GW2 or hate it to the core, but its fact now, the Chinese have to pay to play this game, we get it for free, any update that will come to the game will have to be in the best interest of the Chinese market, NA/EU are not the primary audience anymore, not when they can make x10 as much money from the Chinese market.

There are still some game breaking bugs and bugged events/hearts that have been there since the game launched, that are still not fixed, they go ignored, there are events that spawn no enemies, no loot, no xp, that are ignored/not fixed, so either they are fixed on the Chinese game, or because they have never seen an event before hand they don’t know any different.

What I wonder is, ( im guessing ) there is a Chinese forum for this game too, do the devs ignore the playerbase over there as much as we get ignored, we seem to have a CC that doesn’t interact with the community at all, or if they do I aint seeing it.

This game has amazing art work, and still is right at the top for GFX/visuals for any game out there, but the content and other things that ruin it, they seem to determined to milk as much from that gem store as possible, yet if the players where happy they would probably be willing to spend money on gems for stuff, but all we get at the moment is, gem store, gem store, buy gems and trade for gold, gem store, sad but true.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

This game will be taken in the direction that is best for China, every update from now until the game is done with will be done with China in mind, if it does not work there, it will never be put into the game, you can be the most hardcore fan of GW2 or hate it to the core, but its fact now, the Chinese have to pay to play this game, we get it for free, any update that will come to the game will have to be in the best interest of the Chinese market, NA/EU are not the primary audience anymore, not when they can make x10 as much money from the Chinese market.

There are still some game breaking bugs and bugged events/hearts that have been there since the game launched, that are still not fixed, they go ignored, there are events that spawn no enemies, no loot, no xp, that are ignored/not fixed, so either they are fixed on the Chinese game, or because they have never seen an event before hand they don’t know any different.

What I wonder is, ( im guessing ) there is a Chinese forum for this game too, do the devs ignore the playerbase over there as much as we get ignored, we seem to have a CC that doesn’t interact with the community at all, or if they do I aint seeing it.

This game has amazing art work, and still is right at the top for GFX/visuals for any game out there, but the content and other things that ruin it, they seem to determined to milk as much from that gem store as possible, yet if the players where happy they would probably be willing to spend money on gems for stuff, but all we get at the moment is, gem store, gem store, buy gems and trade for gold, gem store, sad but true.

You make me very sad but I think I have come to the same conclusion, which is why I have moved onto another game.

I check the forums to see how the wind is blowing, from what I see not in a direction I am interested in going in.
thanks GW2 for an amazing 2 years- it was fun while it lasted.

I was really happy and I bought a lot of gems- oh well……

Gunnar’s Hold

Adry.7512

Guys dont be so discouraged, the game isnt going to end bad. At the moment GW2 is at a very good base line to build up from. the way gw2 is NOW could use a tweak or two, but all that is really needed now is an expansion. the chinese make a huge population of WoW and all they got was a single “mist of pandora” or w.e the name….u kno the kungfu panda expansion. The reason the chinese have to p2p is probably due to their economic status and their customs. The reason NA/EU doesnt have to p2p is probably due to the vast amount of people that can go out and buy the actual game and spend on gems (in china not everybody can afford nice things). when was the last time a game got big from china? exactly, the biggest mmorpg developers are US and Korea (these are the big dogs in the mmorpg world). What we MIGHT get, in an expansion, but not this coming one (maybe the second or third expansion) would be the dragon people (sorry never played gw1) from guild wars 1, with a few tweaks and cool stuff added to it. So there we go, its probably going to be a region, and thats it (which i would like). plus in the asian community in general (game-wise) the biggest focus is on pvp/pve in a competitive way, soooo if any influence comes from china it would be an improvement in pvp (especially WVW), which we all have been wanting., guys GW2 is really good at the moment, just give it some time and play for fun, dont despair. Once they let us down, then we leave, but so far they have been doing a decent job.

(edited by Adry.7512)

Posted by: Numu Boltar.6105

Numu Boltar.6105

“guys GW2 is really good at the moment” – sorry, but i see too many “see you later”-posts from my long playing guildmates, that contradicts your opinion.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

“guys GW2 is really good at the moment” – sorry, but i see too many “see you later”-posts from my long playing guildmates, that contradicts your opinion.

Not to mention a dramatic drop in earnings from EU market that was evidenced a week or so ago here on forums. One could have expected that after what the OP’s said: 2 years is way too long to satisfy an average demanding consumer nowadays with tiny, easy, cheap and temporary bi-weekly updates. While I admired the idea of the LS at the beginning, its execution’s turned out to be one of the worst mistakes I’ve seen in MMOs since the time that Lineage 2 dropped its quality with post chronicles 4/5 changes.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

(edited by Corpus Christi.2057)

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

And I see too many returning players and new players that contradicts your opinion.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Tell me why it matters if this is true.

If things get fixed and the game improves, why does it matter if it was because of China and not NA/EU? Chinese gamers are gamers too – so I REALLY don’t understand this.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

And I see too many returning players and new players that contradicts your opinion.

Cool story.

Just because I know you’re wearing your armour right now, though, I’ll play your game.

Starting in June, write down all the names of those who you see returning, as well as new players. I’ll do the same with those that leave.

Now, since the knights have a strong inclination to always be right through any means necessary, I’ll need to figure a way so that you don’t just add every person you see in district and claim they’re returning. And returning doesn’t mean logging in for a day to see what’s new. Returning means they’ve picked the game back up and are giving it a conscious try once again.

My side will be easier, since I’ll be sure to screenshot the last time they were on.

Do wait until the end of the month.

On topic:

I believe the Chinese have a different play style than most of NA/EU. They prefer mindless grind and their preferred model is pay to win. Sadly, we might see that incorporated into our version of Guild Wars 2 slowly but surely. I’m not saying we will, but there’s a chance.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

(edited by Skan.5301)

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

On topic:

I believe the Chinese have a different play style than most of NA/EU. They prefer mindless grind and their preferred model is pay to win. Sadly, we might see that incorporated into our version of Guild Wars 2 slowly but surely. I’m not saying we will, but there’s a chance.

Are you sure about that? Evidence? Data? That sounds almost racist.

Anyways. It’s quite worrying how Anet developer presence on these forums have been so thin since they started work in China. There used to be a couple of red posts floating around on the general discussion forums all the time, now you barely see any…

Posted by: SemmlerTh.2685

SemmlerTh.2685

I just wanna know, how the main story will be told in the future. Will we see the Pact trying to kill the other elder dragons? Or is Trahearne and the reunion of destiny’s edge just utterly meaningless?

Adry.7512

when i said it is really good at the moment, i didnt mean on the situation. i meant that gw2 has a really good base to build from now in terms of the actual game. you have to have a base in order to build up, dont you think? either way, yes i know the situation is not good at the moment, but let’s see. if the game sinks, that will be their own fault, for continuing to make the same mistakes.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

I suggest you go back to the numbers published some time ago for Q1 2014 for total/GW2 earnings in EU/NA. There, you’ll see a dramatic drop in earnings for EU as compared to Q4 2013.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I suggest you go back to the numbers published some time ago for Q1 2014 for total/GW2 earnings in EU/NA. There, you’ll see a dramatic drop in earnings for EU as compared to Q4 2013.

Pretty sure there was a rise in NA earnings. Might as well tell the whole story.

Adry.7512

Adry.7512

from the website and other stuff i just read…..gw2 is doing amazing.

to be honest, if sales is what you guys are worried about, i dont see a problem.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-14-guild-wars-2-in-steep-decline-in-weak-q4-for-ncsoft on this website though it shows the EU part of it….a clear decline happened. that sucks, but for NA its doing well. hopefully it picks up in EU and in china im hope it kicks up hard.

anyways to be honest i know nothing about the EU gaming community, so i cant say anything. either way im sure it will pick up.

(edited by Adry.7512)