The Crosshair Proposal

The Crosshair Proposal

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Right? How awesome would it be to not have to rely on the selected target when you can just aim? How revolutionary that would be! Guild Wars 2 combat is already leaning in that direction, so why not add such a simple thing to drastically increase fluidity and ease of combat?
I see a functional GW2 reticle without abandoning its mmo values as a positive force for those that choose to activate it. I’m talking options menu settings enabling. The first option simply turns on the reticle. The second allows a player to use a ranged auto attack without a selected target, but still snaps-to the selected target when a skill is activated. The third and final option will not allow a player to look behind them without panning their camera 180 degrees, and any selected target will not get priority when a new skill is activated. Such customization is sure to reinforce many old players love of the game, as well as bring in plenty more new ones, while still allowing traditional mmo players the pace and style that drives their passion.
Is this marketable? Are you kidding me! Every mmo player knows that skins are the #1 seller. Gimme something pretty, gore themed, or what-have-you. Reticles. Yes. I invision an entire panel in the options menu dedicated to the reticle, with a “Buy more reticles on the gem store” link right there in bold beautiful letters. Cmon though, give us a few options to work with at first ya know, whet our appetite, give us a good taste of the many varieties of reticle you have available. Reticles that change from melee to ranged, aoe to cleave, 600 range to 1200 range, large to small, blue to pink. Then we can get into those tasty themed reticles that leaves a drool to my mouth. Thankfully this isnt person to person, cuz you would be like wtf.
Giving players the option is better then not having it at all. It will add a very huge competetive edge to pvp, but hey if youre pve only then nothing is forced onto you. I guarantee that this new reticle system will bring boatloads of new players. I know many gamers myself that want to try an mmo, but cant just outright abandon the reticle deity. Oh yes, deity. Its real, and I believe the GW2 combat system will firmly embrace this new deity with open arms given the chance. Please give us players the chance to prove it.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

The Crosshair Proposal

Posted by: Martrim.1078

Martrim.1078

inb4 someone demands a red dot sight on his rifle

Takara Chan ~ (Thief)
Tamoko Chan ~ (Necro)
[PYRO] #MagSwag

The Crosshair Proposal

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

Yes.. this is perfect! the legions of bearbow rangers of GW2 will all gather to bask in your wisdom. The demand for marketable crosshairs starts now!

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

The Crosshair Proposal

Stand The Wall.6987

Cmon! It would be awesome!

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

The Crosshair Proposal

Posted by: Martrim.1078

Martrim.1078

Cmon! It would be awesome!

No it would not, simply by the fact that projectile speed is way way waaay to slow for it.
If u realy want tho, u could always get a magic marker, draw a reticle on your screen and turn of auto targeting (which u should anyway).
U can even customize it by using different collors

Takara Chan ~ (Thief)
Tamoko Chan ~ (Necro)
[PYRO] #MagSwag

The Crosshair Proposal

Posted by: Rehk.6574

Rehk.6574

YES PLEASE!

Would love to have this in game. I’d love to actually aim where I shoot instead of click target. Would make the feel of using a bow, shortbow, and rifle, and pistols SOOO AWESOME!

With an aimer, I would never target anyone ever again. And feel like that would be a much more natural experience.

The Crosshair Proposal

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

Cmon u assume I was being sarcastic well maybe I was but I’d still like to see where this goes. For instance when scoped in, headshot for 4x dmg? No more hatred for bearbow rangers! they will be in high demand bcoz them ranging everything will actually be viewed as a good thing :p

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

The Crosshair Proposal

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I think this idea is reticulous.

#TeamJadeQuarry

The Crosshair Proposal

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

There was a “mod” that allowed reticles and proper aiming in the game. You could turn the camera by moving your mouse around instead of by holding the right-mouse button. Of course the one “drawback” is that without an active mouse cursor you cannot click on your skills to activate them, but you must use shortcuts (which you should do anyway) and many people might find it uncomfortable to do so (so it needs to be a toggle)

Some of those using that “mod” (or all?) got banned so there is no point using it anymore or even looking for it. However, what puzzles me is why Anet hasn’t hired the creator to really implement it in-game… (with a toggle option of course)

If a single programmer without access to Anet’s tools could do it, Anet devs can do it, and can do it far better, it’s fast, quick and easy, they just don’t want to.

The Crosshair Proposal

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

this would be improvement since most skills miss anyway if target is moving (dnt even need to dodge), so at least i would be able to predict movement and try to hit. on the other hand, melee characters can hit whatever when in range, while ranged projectiles just hit the ground in front of characters… looks really bad.

im in

The Crosshair Proposal

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

I think this idea is reticulous.

+1, gave me a good morning laugh!

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

The Crosshair Proposal

Stand The Wall.6987

No it would not, simply by the fact that projectile speed is way way waaay to slow for it.
If u realy want tho, u could always get a magic marker, draw a reticle on your screen and turn of auto targeting (which u should anyway).
U can even customize it by using different collors

That is a very good point, one that I cant really argue.
Reticles can be done, but it would make a ranged class a lot harder. I think if leaps behaved the same way, then things might balance out a bit.
I know its a pipe dream, I just want to see how many people are with me or how many I can convince.
The thing that bothers me the most is that we have to have a target selected. During zerg vs zerg, it kind of destroys a ranged class’s potential for damage in a lot of cases.

(edited by Stand The Wall.6987)

The Crosshair Proposal

Stand The Wall.6987

What if there was a distinction between a selected target and a mouse-over target? That would remove the threat of a projectile moving too slow.

The Crosshair Proposal

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

There was a “mod” that allowed reticles and proper aiming in the game. You could turn the camera by moving your mouse around instead of by holding the right-mouse button. Of course the one “drawback” is that without an active mouse cursor you cannot click on your skills to activate them, but you must use shortcuts (which you should do anyway) and many people might find it uncomfortable to do so (so it needs to be a toggle)

Some of those using that “mod” (or all?) got banned so there is no point using it anymore or even looking for it. However, what puzzles me is why Anet hasn’t hired the creator to really implement it in-game… (with a toggle option of course)

If a single programmer without access to Anet’s tools could do it, Anet devs can do it, and can do it far better, it’s fast, quick and easy, they just don’t want to.

Nobody using that mod (as it comes, without modification) has ever been banned. Half my guild uses it, I’ve been reported and investigated by support about it before. Seeing as I’m still here, it was obviously ruled that I was not breaking any rules.

Arenanet does not endorse it, just like they do not endorse any mods. But when a report comes in they investigate on a case by case basis to see if the players account shows signs of modifying the game code (which this does not) or providing an unfair advantage (which once again, this does not give). They do not just do a scan and hand out mass bans to anyone that pings.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

The Crosshair Proposal

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Crosshair wouldnt be so hot due to the way AoE skills work in this game. In an ideal world, I would have loved for Anet to design the combat around a crosshair like in TERA, but I suspect a lot of people would not have been happy about it.

I mean at release some ppl quit the game because it did not have auto follow target or click to move or something ridiculous.

I do wish they let mods though, but I doubt they will ever dedicate the time for something like that.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

The Crosshair Proposal

Stand The Wall.6987

Yep AoE would be awkward to work around… I for one wouldnt mind learningto use it. In fact I would embrace the challenge, because of how radical I think a crosshair would be for my gameplay.

The Crosshair Proposal

maddoctor.2738

Nobody using that mod (as it comes, without modification) has ever been banned. Half my guild uses it, I’ve been reported and investigated by support about it before. Seeing as I’m still here, it was obviously ruled that I was not breaking any rules.

Arenanet does not endorse it, just like they do not endorse any mods. But when a report comes in they investigate on a case by case basis to see if the players account shows signs of modifying the game code (which this does not) or providing an unfair advantage (which once again, this does not give). They do not just do a scan and hand out mass bans to anyone that pings.

Really? I thought the creator posted on reddit that he got banned or something. That’s why I didn’t post the mod names! Then in that case maybe I’ll also start using it

I agree, there is no modification to the game code and it doesn’t give any advantage. And it makes the game all the more better.

The Crosshair Proposal

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Crosshair wouldnt be so hot due to the way AoE skills work in this game. In an ideal world, I would have loved for Anet to design the combat around a crosshair like in TERA, but I suspect a lot of people would not have been happy about it.

I uninstalled most games with a shooter kind of controls after 5-10 minutes. Like Vindictus, Neverwinter and DCUO. I managed to play TERA at least for 2 evenings but this type of playing really is a kind of physical pain to me and it would be the end of GW2 if i had to deal with that.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

The Crosshair Proposal

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I think the devs tried something similar early in development, then changed their minds for whatever reason.

I too personally would prefer if they gave/developed this option, i generally dont tab target at all if i can avoid it, problem is some skills wont work without a target, and auto targeting sometimes does crazy things. So generally i use auto target and just adapt. But it would be nice if they did this.

To be honest, its my feeling that anet developer time is at a premium, and they cant develop a lot of things. Unfortunately many good ideas lack the dev time or just have trouble getting the go ahead with so many other things they have to develop on a schedule.

Its something i think they need to alleviate somehow. Up until now it feels like the game is having trouble growing due to resources of development process. For example, It has mentioned that anything UI related will take considerably longer to implement. If that is the case, it basically puts a great many changes like this out of reach, with this type of tech competing with basically everything else in the game for the UI queue.

The Crosshair Proposal

maddoctor.2738

To be honest, its my feeling that anet developer time is at a premium, and they cant develop a lot of things. Unfortunately many good ideas lack the dev time or just have trouble getting the go ahead with so many other things they have to develop on a schedule.

The thing is, some “mods” are working perfectly and don’t need any kind of Developer time, for example since I started using SweetFX, I’ve never looked back, the game looks so awesome now that many other upcoming games look horrible compared to it (unless I put SweetFX on those too), same with the targeting mod. Fully operational mods should be added to their API forum section for further development (by the community), the only time the devs need, is to confirm that the mods are doing what is advertised and not have hidden hacks or something, which shouldn’t be very hard.

In fact, if they promote these addons from their API forum, nobody can make additions to them after they become official and break them or make them unfair. I see a win-win here.

The Crosshair Proposal

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

The thing is, some “mods” are working perfectly and don’t need any kind of Developer time, for example since I started using SweetFX, I’ve never looked back, the game looks so awesome now that many other upcoming games look horrible compared to it (unless I put SweetFX on those too), same with the targeting mod. Fully operational mods should be added to their API forum section for further development (by the community), the only time the devs need, is to confirm that the mods are doing what is advertised and not have hidden hacks or something, which shouldn’t be very hard.

In fact, if they promote these addons from their API forum, nobody can make additions to them after they become official and break them or make them unfair. I see a win-win here.

I think the solution is as you say, to try to incorporate mod community into the game more, however i think they are hesitant to do this, due to control and oversight issues. I do believe its probably the best solution.

The Crosshair Proposal

Stand The Wall.6987

Good argument maddoctor.
Although I agree with you in it being a win-win, I dont see a big company like ncsoft accepting and implementing player made mods. Would be extremely beneficial if they did though, cuz like you said it wouldnt be too hard to check for hacks.

The Crosshair Proposal

maddoctor.2738

Good argument maddoctor.
Although I agree with you in it being a win-win, I dont see a big company like ncsoft accepting and implementing player made mods. Would be extremely beneficial if they did though, cuz like you said it wouldnt be too hard to check for hacks.

But in a way, they already accept player made mods, Arenanet uses a public API for various things, like events, world bosses and WvW. If they could expose the needed parts of code for a camera on their (already public) API system, so the CORE functionality is Arenanet’s, but allows the users to make tweaks, it could work. I’m not sure if their API can expose camera functionality, but if it can (or they can make it do it) then it could work.

The Crosshair Proposal

Stand The Wall.6987

Yeah I just checked out the API subforum and clicked on some links to get an idea of whats going on. Interesting stuff!
Waaaagghhh!!! A toggled crosshair would be so awesome!
must
learn
programming
noooooowww
:|