The DPS Race Continues...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Meta-Events-The-Great-DPS-Race

More than 4 months ago I posted this thread. Today the mechanics behind it still have not changed.

In an effort to keep up with the achievements that have just been release in the newest feature pack, it seems logical enough that people would want to get a variety of champ bags to unlock the ‘Hero of the People’ achieve (which it seems is bugged, by the way). It’s become increasingly difficult because of the megaserver situation to find a map with less players so your DPS actually counts towards getting loot from the boss, and not just from the big chest at the end.

Who else is in the same boat?

Can we get a word of advice (red post perhaps) from someone who can say why this solution was implemented, and a best course of action for rectifying it?

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

I’ve been considerably worried about this for months now. My main is level 80, berserker specced and fully berserker (ascended) geared. And I find I have trouble getting loot credit on champions during world boss events, even in a group. I tried on other 80s, all in exotics, and found some classes fare notably worse, especially if not fully DPS geared/specced.

This should simply not be. No game should ever make it so that only ONE specific spec type/gear type gets rewarded.

And worse, most of these world boss events are in sub-80 zones. I know for a fact that my 80 does TONS more damage than a non-80 in those lower level zones, even if such a non-80 is max geared for their level. If I do not get credit, how is THEIR experience in their native-level zones… THEIR zones by right, frankly.

Add to this the fact that there are quite a few people out there who will simply kick non-80s from their groups in world boss events… and yeah, this is NOT a good situation.

My conclusion is that the zergs for these events are simply too massive, and that getting in ‘enough’ dps contribution is getting way too hard. At this point, I think Anet should give kill credit to everyone who does ANY damage to champions, as a temporary measure at the very least. An ideal situation would involve equalizing the damage of downscaled 80s to be more in line with the max damage to be expected from a toon who is at the zone’s max level. Because frankly, making the bosses bigger bags of hitpoints is neither fun nor a solution, the high-DPS 80s will still contribute the most.

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Fair points.

I now have seven L80 characters and I get my trusty ele, war and guard out on a bit of a rotating schedule for world boss runs. So far I’ve found neither one of these will do more DPS in a zerg than the other two, or to put it plainly, not enough to get credit for a boss champ bag.

For the most part, if I do get loot from the boss corpse, it’s very haphazard. Sometimes I’ll get a white champ bag, and other times the more appropriate exotic champ bag instead. But lately it’s been very hard to even qualify for loot.

I applaud the points made above this post and would appreciate it if Anet would take a closer look at the implementation and effect of DPS on bosses, and the subsequent distribution of rewards to participants especially in world boss situations.

Enough is enough… something has to be done about this.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I wonder if champ bag drops (or just loot drops in general) are buggy for some mobs. For example, I almost never have a problem getting a champ bag from the Champion modniir guy leading up to the gate for the Ulgoth event (and that’s even only getting a few hits in). But then, I almost never get a bag from all 3 War Beasts or all 3 Champs right before the Jungle Wurm spawns in Caledon.

And then there is the issue of tagging groups of weak mobs, which I guess a lot of people are ok with? But it’s kind of a mess, imo.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Fair points.

I now have seven L80 characters and I get my trusty ele, war and guard out on a bit of a rotating schedule for world boss runs. So far I’ve found neither one of these will do more DPS in a zerg than the other two, or to put it plainly, not enough to get credit for a boss champ bag.

For the most part, if I do get loot from the boss corpse, it’s very haphazard. Sometimes I’ll get a white champ bag, and other times the more appropriate exotic champ bag instead. But lately it’s been very hard to even qualify for loot.

I applaud the points made above this post and would appreciate it if Anet would take a closer look at the implementation and effect of DPS on bosses, and the subsequent distribution of rewards to participants especially in world boss situations.

Enough is enough… something has to be done about this.

if you not getting loot on a guard. You are doing it wrong. You also have run meta build and equipment. I cannot stress this enough.

guards have plenty of instant leaps and gap closures. Use them

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

the game doesnt work well with 50+ people trying to complete the same objectives for 90% of the content in the game.
not sure why they seem to try to encourage it so much via megaserver size, and scheduling of events

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

It’s become increasingly difficult because of the megaserver situation to find a map with less players so your DPS actually counts towards getting loot from the boss, and not just from the big chest at the end.

Protip: It doesn’t matter how much damage you do, it only matters when you do it. All it takes is a single hit to be eligible for loot, but not everyone will be eligible.

Posted by: Berk.8561

Berk.8561

not sure why they seem to try to encourage it so much via megaserver size, and scheduling of events

I never had any problem getting Champion loot on Eredon Terrace before the megaserver. Now I frequently don’t get any. Too many people in the events. The problem could largely be resolved just by lowering the megaserver maximum population cap to a more reasonable level.

Kerzic [CoI] – Ranger – Eredon Terrace

Broom.2561

I wonder if champ bag drops (or just loot drops in general) are buggy for some mobs. For example, I almost never have a problem getting a champ bag from the Champion modniir guy leading up to the gate for the Ulgoth event (and that’s even only getting a few hits in). But then, I almost never get a bag from all 3 War Beasts or all 3 Champs right before the Jungle Wurm spawns in Caledon.

And then there is the issue of tagging groups of weak mobs, which I guess a lot of people are ok with? But it’s kind of a mess, imo.

Ah, but the majority of the zerg is waiting inside the gate for Ulgoth, and not participating in the pre-events. Which would make it an equal size pie to be shared with at least 60% more contenders.

Broom.2561

It’s become increasingly difficult because of the megaserver situation to find a map with less players so your DPS actually counts towards getting loot from the boss, and not just from the big chest at the end.

Protip: It doesn’t matter how much damage you do, it only matters when you do it. All it takes is a single hit to be eligible for loot, but not everyone will be eligible.

Your protip conveniently bypasses the fact that during these world boss events, someone who is in a group has a significantly higher chance of getting a champion bag than someone who is not.

Labjax.2465

Ah, but the majority of the zerg is waiting inside the gate for Ulgoth, and not participating in the pre-events. Which would make it an equal size pie to be shared with at least 60% more contenders.

Good catch. Had not thought about that.

I think the simplest answer here would be to tweak the scaling or the tagging for when the number of players nearby goes exceedingly high. It seems like from what I’m reading (and from my own experiences) there is a sort of threshold for when things stay somewhat reasonable in terms of tagging and once the number of players goes past a certain point, it’s just a mess.

Tweaking scaling (e.g. making stuff harder to kill) could present its own set of issues (such as on bosses like Teq) so my recommendation would be to lower the requirements to get credit as the number of players near a mob goes up. This way the difficulty to tag stays roughly the same, even amidst the chaos of a full map population in one area.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

I’m going to have to agree, the size of zergs have gotten ridiculously large.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Broom.2561

Good catch. Had not thought about that.

I think the simplest answer here would be to tweak the scaling or the tagging for when the number of players nearby goes exceedingly high. It seems like from what I’m reading (and from my own experiences) there is a sort of threshold for when things stay somewhat reasonable in terms of tagging and once the number of players goes past a certain point, it’s just a mess.

Tweaking scaling (e.g. making stuff harder to kill) could present its own set of issues (such as on bosses like Teq) so my recommendation would be to lower the requirements to get credit as the number of players near a mob goes up. This way the difficulty to tag stays roughly the same, even amidst the chaos of a full map population in one area.

Like I said, I think a solution may be found in a combination of lowering the contribution needed and adjusting player scaling, so non-80s have a fair chance too. Big bags of hitpoints do not a better encounter make. Although I do agree, the hitpoints on the totem in the Maw are ridiculous…

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

if you not getting loot on a guard. You are doing it wrong. You also have run meta build and equipment. I cannot stress this enough.

guards have plenty of instant leaps and gap closures. Use them

I’ve tried just about everything with my guard – the result remains the same. Just about all of my characters run armour and weapons to the spec of the meta. The plain fact is that there’s too many people to satisfy from one boss. Subsequently this makes me think there’s a loot restriction one boss can offer to paricipating players. If this is the case then being in a party would definitely be an advantage.

If it is a DPS race then the game is in a poor state. Sure it’s impressive watching lots of big numbers come from massive hits, but with everyone doing this one one target, then you really have to wonder why we have to use big damage at all. I get one hit on the dragon totem before the maw starts and get full gold credit for the event.

This smacks of a grossly unbalanced reward/loot system.

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

This. You can hit a champion a single time with a cleric guard’s staff 2 and you’ll get loot every single time if you hit him before everyone else has had a chance to.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Your protip conveniently bypasses the fact that during these world boss events, someone who is in a group has a significantly higher chance of getting a champion bag than someone who is not.

100% solo, 100% success rate. Only groups that know the truth have an advantage.

Broom.2561

100% solo, 100% success rate. Only groups that know the truth have an advantage.

I’m sorry mate, but I think you are talking nonsense about your 100% success rate. I almost never get the shaman’s champion bag in the Maw for one, and asking around tells me a lot of people don’t even know there is one. If you know some ‘truth’ that is not known to the general public, I dare say it’s likely to be an exploit of some kind.

Labjax.2465

This. You can hit a champion a single time with a cleric guard’s staff 2 and you’ll get loot every single time if you hit him before everyone else has had a chance to.

So basically what you’re saying is, the tagging system is <insert adjectives that I don’t want to use because they will sound too rude>

Or words to that effect.

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Ok but this still doesn’t answer the question regarding varying levels of champ bags if you’re lucky/timely enough to get one. Take the maw or Ulgoth events for instance, why do you only get a white champ bag for the maw event over the usual exotic bag, and similarly, why the green champ bag in Ulgoth event for the same amount of contribution?

Are people saying there’s actually a scale or an order in which loot is distributed to participants? Such as (hypothetically) the first 25 players to hit a champ qualify for exotic grade champ bag and the 26th-50th players get the lesser variants?

This is a call for transparency from Anet. If this is indeed how the loot system works at world bosses then it’s time for an overhaul. ALL particiapnts should be given equal levels of loot, of equalling rarity. The only thing that should separate the rarity is the champion that it’s based on. Say if you get a white or a blue level bag from a champion as loot then it’s probably going to come from a lower-level area. This would also beg the question; why are people getting exotic-level loot from a starter area boss?