The Dragon Experience

The Dragon Experience

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

I could not believe what was being said so I had to experience this with my own eyes.

Hundreds of players, waiting for a Dragon to spawn. Some of them are chatting in map chat, others are alt tabbed browsing the net waiting for the music to change.

Why?

2 chests per day per character provides many shinies; thats why. The interesting part is that you can actually stand still and auto attack these dragons to death.

I honestly can’t figure out why this would be fun in anyway.

The Dragon Experience

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

The psychology of addiction and conditioned behaviour is an interesting topic. Needless to say, most MMO players don’t so much strive for fun as much as satisfaction, the satisfaction that comes from achieving something (usually as an end result of grind).

The Dragon Experience

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

1 chest per day

The Dragon Experience

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

It’s not fun and it’s not really rewarding either. If I could get a chest from each boss on one character and had another character in Orr doing events for the same amount of time I’d have, what, 10 times the shinies. I honestly don’t know how much more I’d have but it would be a lot. And, it was in Orr where I found my first precursor as well.

I don’t understand the allure of the dragons at all. Perhaps they have a magic spell that they cast that draws people from afar.

Edit: I should add that this was the pre-2/26 Orr events, while I was still playing, when events didn’t spawn multiple champions that dropped squat. Anet ruined events in Orr with the 2/26 patch just as they fixed Orr with the 1/28 patch. Anet giveth and Anet taketh away.

(edited by Raine.1394)

The Dragon Experience

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

Tbh do we really need another thread about this?

The Dragon Experience

Calae.1738

Tbh do we really need another thread about this?

Consider this the shock and awe version.

The Dragon Experience

Posted by: Beeca.9467

Beeca.9467

I could not believe what was being said so I had to experience this with my own eyes.

Hundreds of players, waiting for a Dragon to spawn. Some of them are chatting in map chat, others are alt tabbed browsing the net waiting for the music to change.

Why?

2 chests per day per character provides many shinies; thats why. The interesting part is that you can actually stand still and auto attack these dragons to death.

Hmm just cause you dont like it you have to come here and post about it.

Most of them dont like the way you play the game either.

80-Ranger/80-Necro/80-Warrior/
80-Guardian /80- Mesmer

The Dragon Experience

Calae.1738

Why?

Hmm just cause you dont like it you have to come here and post about it.

Most of them dont like the way you play the game either.

What are you saying?

Are you saying most people enjoy standing still auto attacking a dragon to death in order to get a chest? I may not be a neuroscientist but, I think humans enjoy puzzle solving mechanisms. You know, activities that require basic cognitive functions.

The Dragon Experience

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

What are you saying?

Are you saying most people enjoy standing still auto attacking a dragon to death in order to get a chest? I may not be a neuroscientist but, I think humans enjoy puzzle solving mechanisms. You know, activities that require basic cognitive functions.

And yet Call of Duty still sells millions of copies every year.

rimshot

Fact of the matter is, some people get enjoyment out of menial tasks like this. And while I don’t see the appeal myself, I don’t think there’s any reason to degrade or punish them for it either.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

The Dragon Experience

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

It’s a social event as much as a treasure hunt, it’s fun to chat/dance/play games with your realmies while you wait.

If you want something more challenging, do Grenth or Balthazar.

The Dragon Experience

Calae.1738

What are you saying?

And yet Call of Duty still sells millions of copies every year.

rimshot

Fact of the matter is, some people get enjoyment out of menial tasks like this. And while I don’t see the appeal myself, I don’t think there’s any reason to degrade or punish them for it either.

That game is rated M for 17+. GW2 is rated T for 13+.

Personally, menial tasks like these hurt the game more than you think.

The Dragon Experience

Posted by: Hsinimod.5784

Hsinimod.5784

yeah, I afk auto attack while browsing the internet. It isn’t fun, it is just a daily chore.

I even use a second account on another computer to afk auto attack for my roomie. I just have to get up once to start, grab a glass of water, and go back to browsing.

The dragon content is just… well, let’s be blunt, poor design. They face one direction and don’t truly interact with the group. You don’t need to dodge anything (not really), you don’t need to combo with neighbors, you don’t need to do anything engaging.

Champion Drakin Cinderspire is an excellent example of content that engages the player. The event has phases, there is a lot going on, and you can’t just afk through it. Even then though, the giant Fire Elemental does nothing but stand in the middle stationary, like the Fire Elemental in Metrica. It could use improvement.

The Claw of Jormag is an excellent example of something meant to be challenging, but ultimately is just “find the right place to stand while auto-attacking”. It uses phases, but poorly. The mobs stay away from the core fight area, the dragon does a game of Frogger for damage, so you simple strafe left and right, and you don’t need to engage much of anything (except time).

Shatterer and Teq are not worth mentioning.

Anet is aware the events are lackluster, so hopefully the revamps end up more engaging. Or the future content if the old stuff is not worth spending time on.

Moral of the story is, scripted events suck because the AI is limited and human nature turns it into easy mode. The next batch of big bads need to actively move around attacking, like the Abominations and Giants in Orr. And avoid cheap gimmicks like “don’t stand on this red spot”. Instead, make the player need to do something with the surrounding environment/mobs to become immune to the AoE, so the player can inflict damage, and needs to engage multiple parts of the fight (but even more than that).

Hate to make a WoW comparison, but world bosses would hunt you down if you engaged them, not stand in one spot.

Playing Devil’s Advocate since 1990.

The Dragon Experience

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

The sole reason why this happens is because you have a 100% chance of getting at least one rare. Do the same for all the dragons and/or meta-event bosses, and you end up with more rares (possibly exotic) than rummaging around the zones fighting mobs.

Lol, anyone who thinks otherwise is being delusional.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

The Dragon Experience

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

What are you saying?

You have way to much belief in the species

Light flashes
Hit button
Recieve reward

sums up dragon fights doesnt it ?

Attachments:

Ulfar SOR