The Dreamer: Sound complaint

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

(Nothing breaks immersion like)…someone with The Dreamer turning up.

Man that thing makes some seriously obnoxious noise. Might we please have a way to mute it, without having to turn down the entire “effects” spectrum?

Two minutes with the Dreamer is worse than 20 hours of listening to small children play an old NES. Seriously.

Awesome job on the game, otherwise

Love,
Me.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Kids and their care-bear modern gaming and AI controlled teammates that play the game for em’ can’t handle the fine tuned pristine difficulty of the NES. Their complaining may sound like cats on a chalk board but I wouldn’t compare it to the dreamer.

Mesmers exist and the dreamer, moot, quip, and so forth all scream mesmer to me even if mesmer can only use the Quip. Not the real Mesmer from Gw1 that had many darker mental shattering and nightmarish skills but the softer modern Mesmer of butterflies and flashy pink lights.

So it fits more in the game then lets say maybe Frostfang which I do count as a joke weapon compared to Astralaria. Your weilding a minion of Jormag after all and not being corrupted by it more so no one cares your swinging around a living corrupted dragon head as a weapon going through crowds and towns with something that should curropt them all.

(edited by Doam.8305)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

…someone with The Dreamer turning up.

“Nothing breaks immersion quite like… "

The Dreamer is consistent with the wings and auras and quaggan caps, plus SAB weapons and so on.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Chuo.4238

The Dreamer is consistent with the wings and auras and quaggan caps, plus SAB weapons and so on.

Well, yes. Except for that horrific noise. Basically my speakers are overtaken by screeching ponies.

I think I’d prefer a quieter variety of very immersive rainbow pony.

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Well, yes. Except for that horrific noise. Basically my speakers are overtaken by screeching ponies.

I think I’d prefer a quieter variety of very immersive rainbow pony.

Which gets to your actual request, to take something out of the game because you don’t like it. Personally I like the sound and the uniponies. The female norn and male asura voices annoy me though, and the pinkish yellow effects on Dawn aren’t to my taste, so let’s have those removed from the game as well. We could just have all sound and graphics removed since I’m sure that everything is disliked by someone.

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

“Nothing breaks immersion quite like…”

Invisible walls…

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

Which gets to your actual request, to take something out of the game because you don’t like it.

That’s not what he asked for. He asked for a way to mute it. For his session.

And, it’s quite a reasonable request. I’m not sure why it hasn’t already been done. They have stated that they try to deal with griefing (and they do a good job of it). But, this is one griefing tool they haven’t dealt with.

Posted by: Odin the exiled.5764

Odin the exiled.5764

i’ve personally never heard the dreamer make any noise so i dont’ know how annoying it is. But yes there are some annoying sounds in teh game like female human guardians and their screeching voice for retreat. What annoys me more then the sound is why does my guard have to look like he’s pooping when i use staff #4 skill specially when a ranger comes along and muddy terrain’s me during it lol

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

i’ve personally never heard the dreamer make any noise so i dont’ know how annoying it is. But yes there are some annoying sounds in teh game like female human guardians and their screeching voice for retreat. What annoys me more then the sound is why does my guard have to look like he’s pooping when i use staff #4 skill specially when a ranger comes along and muddy terrain’s me during it lol

The dreamer whinnies every time it shoots. This is the closest I can find to a good example of how it sounds.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

To me its quaggans. Whenever the story starts getting good, anet feels the need to shove in a quaggan to completely destroy all sense of an enjoyable immersive session

Posted by: supa suop.8026

supa suop.8026

Looks like your are in need of a good quiping

[SoS] PvX Thief,
The world could use more S/x Thief
FIST FLURRY! ORA!!

Posted by: keenedge.9675

keenedge.9675

They could associate the weapons sounds with player instruments. We DID get a control for that.

Aside from that, “I know your face from my dream.” . . . Alas, I listen to iHeart and mostly mute the wonderful music in GW.

“John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the verbal morality statute”

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

+1 to mutable weapon sounds

Chuo.4238

They could associate the weapons sounds with player instruments. We DID get a control for that.

Exactly where I was going with this. Tie the weapons into the instrument slider, or make a separate weapon slider.

The ability to mute player chatter was very, very much appreciated. Same with instruments. I think muting the weapons would pretty much cover all of the really obnoxious player noises.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

When TWO Dreamer owners follow you around for 5 minutes constantly spamming their horrible noise after you DARED to complain about the Dreamer noise in map chat, yeah it’s definitely a troll weapon that needs a mute button.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

Not the real Mesmer from Gw1 that had many darker mental shattering and nightmarish skills but the softer modern Mesmer of butterflies and flashy pink lights.

I feel you. I miss real mesmers too.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

+1 simply for the “Dreamer Mute” thread. It’s long overdue.

Posted by: Najten.2418

Najten.2418

How about simply giving players an option to “mute special sound effects on weapons” as a checkbox option in sounds? I love the look of The Dreamer, and while I wouldn’t say it breaks my immersion it does get annoying after a few minutes.. Same goes for Quip.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

How about simply giving players an option to “mute special sound effects on weapons” as a checkbox option in sounds? I love the look of The Dreamer, and while I wouldn’t say it breaks my immersion it does get annoying after a few minutes.. Same goes for Quip.

If that would include SAB-minis, jobotron backpack and the like im in favor.

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

Please include that bow we all know we hate the sound of too, the bow which shall not be named. maybe with a little mute icon beside you’re name, you know just so they know that the person they are trying to annoy can’t even hear them. lol

Server: Gate of Madness

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

Invisible walls…

This I can totally agree with. If I can jump to or fly to some place, then I should be able to. If you want players not to go there, instead put large rocks or some sort of terrain. Not just a solid invisible wall.

Certified Gameaholic

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Invisible walls…

This I can totally agree with. If I can jump to or fly to some place, then I should be able to. If you want players not to go there, instead put large rocks or some sort of terrain. Not just a solid invisible wall.

Blame gliding being added later: it’s less expensive to wall things like that, than to fix all the terrain to actually support “physical” restrictions as implied by gliding.

At least they didn’t do a WoW and just turn off gliding in older zones entirely…

aerial.7021

Invisible walls…

They do tend to try, problem with that of course is most of the time it obscures you field of view and you’re left play gymnastics with the mouse to see where you’re going.

The odd thing is, for all the hate for underwater combat, they appear to in ‘some’ cases not all made the same mistake or worse with gliding, though I don’t see a problem with underwater combat.

Invisible walls…

Blame gliding being added later: it’s less expensive to wall things like that, than to fix all the terrain to actually support “physical” restrictions as implied by gliding.

At least they didn’t do a WoW and just turn off gliding in older zones entirely…

They should have made it with zones portals.

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

To me its quaggans. Whenever the story starts getting good, anet feels the need to shove in a quaggan to completely destroy all sense of an enjoyable immersive session

But quaggans are the Jar Jar binks of GW2!!! Oh, wait, that’s IS a bad thing….

P.S. Still gonna make shooshadoo!

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Never even noticed that weapon has any actual sound, just the ponies. Each to their own, and I guess you hang out with a lot more Dreamer lovers than me, but it’s never bothered me.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

aerial.7021

Never even noticed that weapon has any actual sound, just the ponies. Each to their own, and I guess you hang out with a lot more Dreamer lovers than me, but it’s never bothered me.

{Giggles} except it’s not each to their own as we cannot turn it off, so we forced to listen to it or have a muted GW2

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

that also goes for any other weapon/mini/pet that makes sounds then…

aerial.7021

that also goes for any other weapon/mini/pet that makes sounds then…

Pretty much, the dialog from NPCs gets a little grating on the nerves after awhile, “Okay, if you’re Margery you’ve gotta let me….” (strangle you to death with you’re own .wav file!!!?) just you wait ANet on the 1st of April will have all the NPCs go on strike, and picket the players will billboard signs.. “We will not be silenced”

Posted by: fluffdragon.1523

fluffdragon.1523

We can reduce NPC chatter frequency, we can manipulate individual sound channels, turn down instruments, change frequency of BGM, modify rendering density and quality of other players …

… but gods forfend that we not hear that whinny in the midst of a fight every time some ranger does literally anything.

(At least it’s not a longbow …)